Where do you conduct classes?  

1. 1. Where do you conduct classes?

• Dedicated school room
    • Kitchen
    • Living area
    • Bedroom
    • Other

test

For us, lessons occur wherever it suits best for any given point in time (Breakfast table, couch, FROG, Barnes & Noble, parking lot while older dd is in a resource class). We rarely school the same place from one day to the next. Whatever works is what we do. :D I will say this has become more the norm for us as my girls have gotten older (and we've utilized resource centers for homeschoolers). When they were elementary age, we had a dedicated school area (portion of our FROG).

For us, lessons occur wherever it suits best for any given point in time (Breakfast table, couch, FROG, Barnes & Noble, parking lot while older dd is in a resource class). We rarely school the same place from one day to the next. Whatever works is what we do. :D I will say this has become more the norm for us as my girls have gotten older (and we've utilized resource centers for homeschoolers). When they were elementary age, we had a dedicated school area (portion of our FROG).

What is FROG?

We converted our guest bedroom into a schoolroom / library / office, and that's where we do school. We have a huge whiteboard on the wall (homemade version, using tileboard), and just use a folding banquet table for a school desk (which gives us room to spread out books and papers during the day). We also have a daybed and easy chair in the room, when we want to relax more for reading or whatnot.

(The daybed has a trundle unit, too, so if we do have extra guests, we can put away the school table and still use the room as a guest room. But, with my oldest DS off to college, we usually use his room if we have overnight company, and haven't had to use our converted classroom for guests yet.)

Mainly in our school/scrap/guest room. IT has it's own heater and AC unit, so i can keep the rest of the house warmer/hotter and save money on utilities. The kids are doing mostly video classes right now though, so we need to be near the computer/tvs for that.

We have "stuff" all over the house though... and DD does her math at the kitchen table to get away from her sisters.

We have a "school room" which is really a room full of built-in bookshelves and a big table with drop leaves so I can put it out of the way. I used that fairly often for about a year when it first got finished. Barely at all the past couple of years, although I still appreciate the book storage.

We have 3 old-fashioned one-room school type desks in the living room in the bay window behind the sofa. The kids started insisting they wanted to do school in that cramped corner, and I had to move the chalkboard to lean up against a wall there.

But that happens mostly in spring and fall - in the winter we are almost exclusively next to the wood stove in the familiy room. Warm trumps all! I gave in and bought them all lap desks with lids that lift to store their school books, and they all sit on the couch. I got a big whiteboard and we use that across our laps for lesson time.

We've also been doing some small group classes at my house this year, and that's mostly in the dining room... we don't have a kitchen table, so that's the one place we don't do school - well, at least not since they were much smaller and all fit at the peninsula.

We starteded in the playroom. That didn't work too many toys.:tongue_smilie:

We then moved on to the kitchen table and that got in the way of me cooking and us eating.

Lastly, we stole my dh's office from him. He didn't use it all day:001_huh:, but he would come home and mess up our school work.:glare: So, we moved him out one day.:lol: He is so very sweet that he refinished the floors for us and painted it pink. Dh also built us some bookshelves and adapted a hutch for my computer.

Right now we do school at the kitchen table. Each child has a desk in their room that they can use if they need quiet. Dh has been working on finishing a small area in the basement for a school room. He started in August and it's still not finished. :glare:

I've threatened to take over his office that he rarely uses. :D

I've finally realized that my children do a much better job at getting schoolwork done if they are sitting at the table. It has really revolutionized our school day.

I have a separate room that I could use as a schoolroom, but they need supervision and I don't want to be stuck in one room all day.

We almost exclusively do school work in the school room. The boys will sometimes take their work up to their beds if they want to be alone, and sometimes they take work in the car, and rarely they take work to Judo to finish after class.

But I'd say 95% of work is done in our school room. All our books are there, we have a couch and a table and room to spread out some if needed.

We have a school room and it is nice to have a place to put everything, but we homeschool all over the house. We mainly use the living room, but also use my bedroom and the kitchen. We only use my bedroom because one of our computers is in there.

God bless,

Vicki

We do it everywhere. We do Tuesday Tea Time on the beach and sometimes take the readoutlouds down there to sit under the palm trees and read. We watch DVDs in the trailer, do math in the (outside) kitchen or handwriting on the sand in front of the palapa. All depends... We have no dedicated room.

I voted 'dedicated school room' because I do most of our lessons there, but we often do read-alouds and sometimes other things in the lounge. And the older boys are allowed to take their 'seat work' into the lounge, dining room, bedroom, wherever.

I voted "dedicated schoolroom," because most things happen there, but when we are reading aloud for history or science, we go to either the couch in the living room or the couch on the outside porch, depending on the weather. Also, they do silent reading in their rooms, on the couch, or in the library.

Kitchen for us. We've always done school in the kitchen. During our recent remodel we added a second pantry in the kitchen and for now it is the school pantry - measures about 5x5 and lined with bookshelves. It makes it very nice to sit at the breakfast table and do our work with everything easily accessible but not cluttering up the main room of the house.

We eat in the dining room every night for dinner, so if a project stays out, that's okay.

I like being able to cook and do laundry and other household things while the kids work. It makes my days much more efficient. If the kids are struggling to concentrate, they'll take off with an assignment to their rooms, the baby's room (nice comfy recliner/glider in there) or some other quiet corner, and then come back when they are done.

We eat in the dining room every night for dinner, so if a project stays out, that's okay.

This is true for us as well. When we moved, I vowed to use the DR regularly (evening meals). This has translated to a breakfast table in the kitchen that is can serve as an into the evening school table if need be without being a problem. :)

I voted schoolroom, but we do only work that requires writing at the school table. The rest tends to happen all over the house with work being reported on, turned in, etc. to my desk in the schoolroom. Our schoolroom (the former formal dining room) is right off the kitchen and living room so has easy access to all of the other things we have happening during a day. I can keep up with rising bread or folding laundry and still remain available during independent work. We also spend a bit of time reading on the couch. Also when it's warmer outside we take our projects onto our backdeck, easier to keep the mess outside and more relaxed because we're not so worried about dropping paint everywhere or sprinkles to clean up.

Edited by iquilt
forgot something

In my office,

I have heavy duty, portable plastic table (the size of a normal school table) set up next to my desk. My youngest sits next to me and does her school work. I have an even larger one across the room that my high schooler uses. And then I have a bookshelf that holds are school books that we are currently using and finally a large reading chair. We have been using this set up for about 18 months and it work very well for us. I have been meaning to post pictures for awhile.