Menu

Do you use "oh" or "zero" to say the number '0' ?

Do you say "oh" or "zero" for the number "0"  

1. 1. Do you say "oh" or "zero" for the number "0"

• oh
    • zero
    • other, just so you don't have to fit in a box :0)

Zero. "O" is a letter.

When I was younger and unmarried it didn't much matter to me, then I married my husband who is in the military and it mattered! Now I am a stickler about saying what is correct. Isn't it funny how we change to be like those we associate with the most!

When I was younger and unmarried it didn't much matter to me, then I married my husband who is in the military and it mattered! Now I am a stickler about saying what is correct. Isn't it funny how we change to be like those we associate with the most!

I'm sure mine was because of my husband's military experience, too. We were in your neck of the woods, Cheryl--Mather AFB--in the late 80s.

Chelle

I don't say "0" in my address - I say "70"

You know, in the book Outliers, he talks about how it is faster to say numbers in Asian languages, and this may be one factor in their excellence in math. So, one could argue that saying "o" for zero is positive because it's shorter.

I use both.

Out of curiosity -- how do you say "It's 2:05 pm"?

I would say "It's fourteen, oh five" because we use military time here. My dd is just learning and my older son was trying to explain to her 1pm and onward in military time. Poor girl she was so confused LOL

I guess that's a hard thing becasue my dh is military too and most times I say zero, but when it comes to time that's a different thing. Like if someone asks what time I get up in the morning I'd say at "Oh nine hundred hours"

Both.

I say 7: oh 5 for the time instead of 7: zero 5

Most often with phone numbers and addresses I say "oh" because it's faster.

When the number is by itself, obviously I say "zero."

It looks like most people use the word "zero", but I have NEVER heard anyone say "The time is 7 - zero -8.

I say both.

Like others, when I am talking about time, I say "oh".

When I'm giving credit card info, account info, etc., I use Zero.

When I'm saying my area code, I say "oh". 2 oh 1 area code sounds normal to me, flows better and is quicker than 2 zero 1.

Same with zip code. 90210 sounds strange as 9 zero 2 1 zero. So does NJ zips... 07450 sounds weird to me with zero's.

When I'm teaching my son math, and he learned to write his hundreds, we say 5, zero, zero.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Almost always "oh". I grew up in an area with 2 main telephone prefixes, and one of them was "x-x-oh". Not a single person said "x-x-zero", so it would sound funny to me now.

My house number is 6061 (not sixes, but close enough) and we say "sixty-sixty-one", not "six-zero-six-one" or "six-oh-six-one".

When I'm saying my area code, I say "oh". 2 oh 1 area code sounds normal to me, flows better and is quicker than 2 zero 1.

Same with zip code. 90210 sounds strange as 9 zero 2 1 zero. So does NJ zips... 07450 sounds weird to me with zero's.

Yup. My NJ zip code started with 'oh' and my PA zip code ends in 'oh'. It just *is*, and that's that! ;)

I say both.

Like others, when I am talking about time, I say "oh".

When I'm giving credit card info, account info, etc., I use Zero.

When I'm teaching my son math, and he learned to write his hundreds, we say 5, zero, zero.

This is me too. especially the last line. Once it has been established that ZERO is the number, we can introduce changes in communicating that specific numeral orally :D

If we've already established that we are discussing a string of numerals, then saying 'o' is simply faster. For confirmation codes, passwords, etc where numerals and letters may be mixed, I tend to say zero. You could even argue that saying "oh"

is really an abbreviated form of saying "zer-o".......

so i picked 'other' not necessarily cuz i don't want to fit in a box ;), but because we use both :)

From:http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbarsh/zero/ZERO.HTM Zero is "not there"

Judging from the treatment accorded to the concept of zero, we do practice a variety of avoidance mechanisms rather than confront the imagery associated with this seemingly difficult concept.

In reciting one's telephone number, social security number, postal zip code or post office box, room number, street number or any of a variety of other numeric nominals, we carefully avoid pronouncing the digit "zero" and instead substitute "oh." One may say "it is caused by our desire to communicate quickly, if we can say the same thing in one syllable, why not?" What about number seven, should we find a substitute for this too?

In some parts of the world, the phrasing "naught" and "aught" are used but it is quite uncommon to hear "zero." All the other digits are correctly enunciated with this one curious exception. However, in the US Army there is an additional curious habit of saying "duece" instead of "two". For example, the M102 105mm Artillery Cannon is called a "One oh Duece" (notice the "oh" therein).

Is the presence of nothing (reflecting non-existence) different from the absence of something (reflecting non-availability) or the absence of anything (reflecting non-existence)? Zero is a symbol for "not there" which is different from "nothing" "Not there" reflects that the number or item(s) exists but they are not just available. "Nothing" reflects nonexistence.

continued....http://home.ubalt.edu/ntsbarsh/zero/ZERO.HTM