Menu

Dogs

Amethyst

I think people are claiming that their dogs are "comfort therapy dogs" and nobody wants to fight about it.

I don't go to the grocery store much, so I don't know whether this is happening here or not.

TBH I think most dogs are less gross than some humans in the grocery store, so ....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think people are claiming that their dogs are "comfort therapy dogs" and nobody wants to fight about it.

I don't go to the grocery store much, so I don't know whether this is happening here or not.

TBH I think most dogs are less gross than some humans in the grocery store, so ....

My issue with dogs in the grocery store is that they tend to not be trained at all, and it is gross when they poop on the floor, bark incessantly, and try to jump on my kid.  I am intensely uncomfortable when an unfamiliar dog growls at me from across the aisle while the owner laughs it off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

I was a service dog volunteer puppy socialization 'trainer' (puppy walker for the guide dogs for the blind). We had to bring paperwork with us when bringing the dogs into stores. Sometimes we were refused entry because the dogs were not fully trained service dogs yet (e.g., my dh's workplace), but at least we were affiliated with a legitimate service dog training organization and under the supervision of trained staff. 

I don't see very many mis-behaving dogs in public or private business, which is fortunate. All these supposed "therapy dogs" make it that much harder for legitimate service dogs and in-training dogs to go about their business (e.g., use the spaces with the distraction of untrained dogs, have to 'fight' for their right to be in the spaces with they legitimate service dog, etc.). It used to be that the biggest issue was telling the public not to pet the service dog while they are in harness and working.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For those of us dealing with moderate-to-severe pet allergies, it introduces a burden.  Especially if the dog approaches and curiously snuffles/licks us or our possessions.  So many owners can't seem to understand why this might not be ok.  The idea of using a cart for *our* food that a dog just rode in?  I can't even. 

I understand that some people truly need a service dog with them at all times.

I feel like I should pick my battles, though, because at least dogs are usually leashed/held in the stores to some degree.  It's difficult enough for us to freely walk down my street or on the nearby park trails without encountering unleashed dogs that are completely out of control (with their owners, not strays).  I will avoid walking at all when I see that certain neighbors are home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I do find it gross. I mean, I like dogs, but I don’t love strange dogs. I feel like so many owners expect me to want to be delighted to see their dog. And the owners I saw today during my lunch break, had several customers come up and fuss over their dog.

And then, the owner wanted to show that customer a “package” that was in his cart, and the package started barking and freaking out. (I guess it was a soft-sided zippered kennel.) Not cool. 

Food and dogs. Dogs in carts. Ugh. It just feels gross and inconsiderate to me. Well-trained service dogs are a different story. I’ve never had a problem with that. 

• Thanks 1

Not just stores, but restaurants and airplanes.  I find this gross, too, and I have severe dog allergies.  

The other day I was at a CVS and this big dog kept coming at me, and I kept saying, No, No, No.  Finally his owner said to the dog, “Come back here.  Not everyone is dog friendly.”  I was so embarrassed.  I said, “Some of us are dog allergic.”  But really, dog owners think that they are doing everyone a favor to let them be licked by their dogs, as far as I can tell.  I hate it.  My allergic reactions to dogs are I get a fast growing thick film over my eyes, extreme itchy eyes, nose, and throat, and my breathing passages narrow.  It is that last part that is so frightening.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

All these supposed "therapy dogs" make it that much harder for legitimate service dogs and in-training dogs to go about their business (e.g., use the spaces with the distraction of untrained dogs, have to 'fight' for their right to be in the spaces with they legitimate service dog, etc.). It used to be that the biggest issue was telling the public not to pet the service dog while they are in harness and working.

What I’m seeing now are people who aren’t even trying to pretend it’s a therapy dog. Just show ip with their dog and expect everyone to be ok with it. 

• Sad 1

Has anyone tried speaking with the grocery store manager and bring up the topic of dog allergies? Dogs in grocery stores seems like it would drive custormers away, but perhaps people just stop shopping there and never state their reason?

I had 2 people associated with my drama group insist that their dogs be allowed in the church where we were performing. I was super relieved that our church policy says no animals other than trained service dogs are allowed in the buildings. A church. Who thinks dogs should be allowed in a church? Wth?

• Like 2

Yes, I'm seeing this more and more. Little yappy non-trained small dogs in shopping carts. No way that is a service animal. And if it is an emotional service animal, it is so stressed at being in the store, it must be stressing you out too, so both of you go home and order online and pick it up outside. 

If my mom will still alive, I'm pretty sure she would be one of the ladies pushing her teacup poodle around in a shopping cart, and I'm also sure that poodle would be barking at every one even semi close - "protecting" her. 

• Like 3

Stores are afraid of calling people out and getting sued, or at least bad PR destroying their business.
I'm seeing more signs around here on stores and malls: "your *service* dog is welcome.  Please leave YOUR PETS home."  I think I've seen maybe two actual service dogs in stores, a lot of pets.  And purse dogs in strollers . . . 

I wish the PETS would be called out.  People also seem to think "emotional support animals" have the right to go everywhere.  They don't, they have housing rights.  People abusing the policies lost the air carriers service animal act rights.  ESAs are treated like a PET on airlines.  IOW: must meet standards, and you have to pay for it.  (only legit service animals - still subject to size restrictions and must fit in the foot well of the passenger - have airline rights.)

Because people taking THEIR PETS is making it harder for people with actual service dogs.  one local guy here was denied entrance at a cafe where he was meeting a friend, with his service dog (came from Service Dogs for the Blind outside Portland) - because the day before, someone caused a lot of trouble at that cafe with their pet that they falsely claimed was a service dog.  And the guy is only 90% blind (from retinosa pigmentosa - which is common), he ended up going home extremely upset.  His partner called the cafe, and the owner was profusely apologetic and explained what happened.  He didn't use it as an excuse as it shouldn't have happened, but people abusing the policy are hurting people with legitimate needs.  Because of how apologetic the cafe was (and some other things) he has not named the cafe.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Yes, I'm seeing this more and more. Little yappy non-trained small dogs in shopping carts. No way that is a service animal. And if it is an emotional service animal, it is so stressed at being in the store, it must be stressing you out too, so both of you go home and order online and pick it up outside. 

If my mom will still alive, I'm pretty sure she would be one of the ladies pushing her teacup poodle around in a shopping cart, and I'm also sure that poodle would be barking at every one even semi close - "protecting" her. 

emotional support animals do not have legal rights to go into stores.  They no longer have rights to fly on airplanes - they are treated like any other pet.
ESA's have housing rights.  

Maybe if more john/jane q public would start asking "what service is your animal trained to provide?"  these people would get uncomfortable enough to stop. But they'd probably do a karen . . . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Has anyone tried speaking with the grocery store manager and bring up the topic of dog allergies? Dogs in grocery stores seems like it would drive custormers away, but perhaps people just stop shopping there and never state their reason?

in a grocery store, hygiene is a big issue and pets absolutely shouldn't be allowed . . . . .  

ime: it is the very rare dog that the owner takes with them that is well trained.  (so I'm willing to consider they might be for PTSD or something else.)  most are little arfy dogs with names like fifi or fido . . . 
i'm not a small dog person.  Give me a GSD or a lab . . . 

Wow! I’m not seeing this at all where I live. That’s crazy. And I only rarely see dogs at dog friendly stores like Lowe’s. I love dogs but not what y’all are describing—CVS? Good grief. 

I do still take my little dog on a quick car ride nearly everyday, but I have never wanted to take her in a store. That sounds like such a pain!

I saw two folks in Houston this past weekend taking their dogs into a restaurant. There was a sign that dogs were welcome to sit with their owners on the patio. I'm sorry, I like dogs, but I don't really want your random dog in the restaurant where they are preparing my food so I can eat there.  Service dogs, fine. 

• Like 2

I find it absolutely awful. I am NOT a dog person. I am having enough trouble walking steady as it is without dogs pushing against me in shops. Has happened to me 

I have heard, but not personally seen people letting their dogs poo inside the shops and not even clean it up.

I have seen dogs jumping up to the bag loading shelf and sitting there . Yuck! a dog backside sitting right where people will be putting their food 

I have experienced a tennet  having 5 very large dogs inside the house we rent, even though they signed an outside dogs only agreement. And the dogs completely destroying the carpet. The tennet solution was to just cut random squares out of the carpet. Delightful.

Personally I wish dogs weren't even invented.  they are absolutely awful animals, people seem to go completely nonsensical about them.

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Bambam said:

I saw two folks in Houston this past weekend taking their dogs into a restaurant. There was a sign that dogs were welcome to sit with their owners on the patio. I'm sorry, I like dogs, but I don't really want your random dog in the restaurant where they are preparing my food so I can eat there.  Service dogs, fine. 

We do have pet friendly restaurants.  I haven't been to one, but they exist.  My dog would just eat all the other dogs.  Otherwise I might give those restaurants a try.  😛

I figure, as long as one has options and forewarning, it's fine to have a dog-friendly establishment.  But I think it's rude to take one's pet  it where it isn't explicitly welcome.

I am not sure why our society now caters to the ridiculous over the sensible.

• Like 3

My vet is located in the same shopping center as Walmart and there have been times when I've thought to myself, "I wish that I could run into Walmart after we are finished with our appointment." But that's just a wish. Never would I ever actually do it, especially with cats. At least they would be in crates. But I do think it's one of the reasons why our Walmart has so many dogs inside it. Once I saw a medium sized dog in a cart have diarrhea. It was all over the cart and all over the floor in the produce section. It was bad! The owner was trying to clean it up but was really just smearing it around. I found an employee who got better people to fix the situation. Just seriously so gross. Right after Target put up their sign about no dogs, I saw someone take their non service large dog into the store. No not large, it was huge. So I told an employee who was working the self checkout section, since she was the first employee I saw, so someone could take care of it.. Nothing happened, nothing at all. The dog shopped alongside the owner without a word being said. So really what is the point of the sign?! Ugh. I guess it's better than leaving them in the car but, really, how hard is it to leave them at home. When I want to go to Walmart the same day we go to the vet, I drive my pet home first. How hard is that? Inconvenient, sure, but not hard.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Amethyst said:

So it seems to be ok for anyone to bring their dogs to grocery stores now??? Are you seeing this too?

Did you talk to the store management?

if it is an issue with you or illegal, speak up where there is a possibility of it being addressed

We have a mini Australian Shepherd. We do take him in dog friendly stores but we use a dog stroller so he can’t approach anyone and everyone. What blows my mind is random dogs doing their business on the floors in stores! Why would you bring an untrained animal into even a pet friendly store? 

• Like 1

It happens here. The only time it hasn't bothered me a bit was when it was so tiny that it was in the woman's purse. I only knew about it because we struck up one of those unusual (for me) conversations in the produce section, and she told me about it and gave me a peek. At my son's outdoor high school graduation, there was a couple with two pit bulls wearing support dog harnesses, and it was obvious they were not. They were clearly not trained. That seemed a bit over the top to me, as I tried to steer clear of them in the crowd as we left.

Full disclosure though: A year or two ago, we had our dog (about 30 lbs.) with us on a trip. I can't remember all the circumstances, just that I was alone with him and had to stop at a grocery store. It was blazing hot, so I couldn't leave him in the car--he would have torn it up with anxiety if I had left him like that anyway. It was a quick run into the store, and I took him in with me on leash/harness, trying to hurry and get what I needed and leave. A couple saw him and they were oohing and ahing over him, while I profusely apologized for bringing him into the store. But the cases I see here involve obviously leisurely trips to the grocery store. Generally, he only goes to Lowe's (maybe once?), PetSmart, or Tractor Supply (once, and where I buy his dog food and they keep dog treats at the counter).

It seems unsanitary to me, as well as inconsiderate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Once I saw a medium sized dog in a cart have diarrhea. It was all over the cart and all over the floor in the produce section. It was bad! The owner was trying to clean it up but was really just smearing it around.

A year or so ago there was a huge (I'd guess at least 140 pounds, probably considerably more) Mastiff type fake service dog near me in Walmart. The dog barfed in front of the yogurt section. Huge dog=huge amount of vomit. To give the owner credit, he had a backpack with cleaner, paper towels, and plastic bags and he cleaned it up. But people really need to stop passing off pets as service dogs.

I think the most ridiculous instance I've seen was waiting on the high speed ferry to Mackinac Island. There was an older couple with a large (80ish pounds or so) dog with a fake service dog vest on. The dog was totally out of control, panting (stress) and trying to jump on people. What made it so weird was that the ferry allowed dogs, no questions asked. So I couldn't figure out why they were using the fake vest. The only thing I could figure was that they wanted to take him into shops and restaurants on the island? I dunno. We had Avatar Dog with us, but we'd done our homework ahead of time and knew there were restaurants with outdoor seating where dogs were allowed (not that we'd ever do the fake service dog thing anyway).

Avatar Dog is very widely traveled and has been in dog friendly establishments all across the country. But "dog friendly" are the key words there. He is superbly well behaved, partially due to training and socialization, but mostly due to his inherent rock steady temperament. But no way I'm taking him into an establishment where pet dogs aren't clearly welcome. That's just rude.

• Like 2

I haven't seen this at all in our state, anywhere.  A lot of people have dogs here, but I guess they're mostly rule-followers.  😄   Occasionally I see little boutique shops in a single neighborhood that are dog-friendly, and they'll post a sign in their windows to let people know.  But never a grocery store or restaurant.   If dogs aren't allowed in a store (which is most of them), and if someone brings in their dog anyway, they're asked to leave.  

Some more casual restaurants with seating outdoors with open spaces do tend to allow dogs, outdoors only of course.

11 hours ago, SKL said:

We do have pet friendly restaurants.  I haven't been to one, but they exist.  My dog would just eat all the other dogs.  Otherwise I might give those restaurants a try.  😛

I figure, as long as one has options and forewarning, it's fine to have a dog-friendly establishment.  But I think it's rude to take one's pet  it where it isn't explicitly welcome.

I am not sure why our society now caters to the ridiculous over the sensible.

many people are having dogs instead of children and many of them do think they are equivalent.  I have a very close relative who (I thought was rational) has dogs, and was very offended that not everyone thinks they're the same as children . . . 

• Like 2

A lot of country pubs  in the UK allow dogs in the bar area where you can eat from the full menu. There is often a separate dining room where dogs are not allowed.  This is not new.

I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets apart from accredited guide dogs.

• Like 3

Just now, Laura Corin said:

A lot of country pubs  in the UK allow dogs in the bar area where you can eat from the full menu. There is often a separate dining room where dogs are not allowed.  This is not new.

I haven't seen dogs in supermarkets apart from accredited guide dogs.

I was just about to say that I remember very well-behaved dogs in pubs in the UK. I didn't have a problem with it. I've seen it a few times in outdoor areas of pubs here in PA. 

I hate seeing it in the grocery store. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 2:11 PM, Cecropia said:

..... It's difficult enough for us to freely walk down my street or on the nearby park trails without encountering unleashed dogs that are completely out of control (with their owners, not strays).  I will avoid walking at all when I see that certain neighbors are home.

As a longtime owner of two dogs who are both rescues and who both, for very good reasons, learned to fear/hate other dogs before they were rescued, the "off-leash" phenomenon makes my head want to explode.

I've been frequently told, "oh, s/he's friendly" as someone's dog (who always completely ignored their owner's calls/instructions) bounded up to my dogs. I always replied, "well, mine are not", right before my 70-lb large dog would commence trying to rip the head off of whatever dog bounded up. And I never apologized. If you want your dog off-leash, it's your responsibility to ensure your dog's safety. The number of hapless idiots who think that all dogs should be off-leash and instant BFFs is insane, and they're multiplying.

But I now only walk my dogs on a busier road close to home where there are no unleashed dogs, which has made my life much easier.

And I've never seen a dog in a grocery store here, but I'm in the NE and stores around me are pretty good about policing such things.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
grammar
  • Like 3

I will say that as much as I dislike the dogs in my local grocery store, that I will take them over the open carry gun nuts any day.  I was once behind a family where the dad had a long gun like an AR over his back, and the mom was pushing the cart with a toddler riding in the front, with her purse with a visible pistol type gun inside it where the child could have easily picked it up.  

Maybe I'm hypocritical, but I don't mind dogs at Pet Smart or Lowe's or Home Depot, and I'm fine with them on patios at pet friendly restaurants that have advertised themselves as such.  I really dislike them in grocery stores and Walmarts/ Targets/ etc.  Maybe it's because the dogs I've encountered at Lowe's/ Home Depot/ pet friendly restaurant patios have been reasonably well behaved?  Or maybe because I feel like those places are well known to be dog friendly.  My gut is that they're avoidable in a way CVS/ Target/ grocery store isn't, but if you need flooring or lighting, maybe not so much.  

• Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 2:56 PM, Amethyst said:

Food and dogs. Dogs in carts. Ugh. It just feels gross and inconsiderate to me. 

23 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

in a grocery store, hygiene is a big issue and pets absolutely shouldn't be allowed . . . . .   

See, I feel this *much* more when people are coughing without covering their mouth, allowing their kids to pick their noses, setting their runny-nosed toddlers in the carts, putting their kids wearing only a diaper and a t-shirt in the carts, letting their babies chew on the cart handle, etc. Ugh. You're much more likely to get sick from other humans than from pets.

I think establishments have the right to set their own rules, within the law, regarding both pets AND kids. People should respect those rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

many people are having dogs instead of children and many of them do think they are equivalent.  

My dog was my baby for the many years I was infertile and my dog is still my baby now. 🙂

I think that we were designed to be nurturers and that nurturing can take different forms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I will say that as much as I dislike the dogs in my local grocery store, that I will take them over the open carry gun nuts any day.  I was once behind a family where the dad had a long gun like an AR over his back, and the mom was pushing the cart with a toddler riding in the front, with her purse with a visible pistol type gun inside it where the child could have easily picked it up.  

Not trying to derail this thread, but there have been a couple incidents nationwide where a young child did just that. When I was living in the west, a toddler in a store in Idaho accidentally shot the mother, and killed her. Of course, that was absolutely horrible, but even at the time I thought, "what if it was someone's else's wife/mother/child? How would I feel if that were my husband, or child?"

And (to return to topic at hand), I also don't generally mind dogs at stores like Lowe's, on patios, etc, but dogs in public places often get nervous, and have accidents, and that is gross....one time on a plane (this was ~8 years ago, before they tightened the rules), a *large* dog was on our plane, laying across the floor of it's three human companions and it had a BAD attack of the runs (bad enough that the airline sent $50 coupons to every person on that plane) and the smell permeated the whole plane and made even me nauseous.

Sigh.

Humanity. So much potential, and, in so many cases, such a cluster*^%*.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MercyA said:

See, I feel this *much* more when people are coughing without covering their mouth, allowing their kids to pick their noses, setting their runny-nosed toddlers in the carts, putting their kids wearing only a diaper and a t-shirt in the carts, letting their babies chew on the cart handle, etc. Ugh. You're much more likely to get sick from other humans than from pets.

I think it’s rude when people put pets in shopping carts or are walking around in stores with poorly behaved dogs, but you make a good point here as well. Way more likely to get sick from a sick kid in a shopping cart. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

My dog was my baby for the many years I was infertile and my dog is still my baby now. 🙂

I think that we were designed to be nurturers and that nurturing can take different forms.

I don't have a problem with people loving their dogs, I like dogs, however - did you think your dogs were equivalent to an actual human child and deserving of all the same inherent rights and respect from other people?  That you should be able to take them on an airplane?  take them to a restaurant?  take them to a grocery store?

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I think establishments have the right to set their own rules, within the law, regarding both pets AND kids. People should respect those rules.

I'm actually not sure whether I fear more the effects of common contagious human illnesses (even flu or covid) or severe allergic reactions, in our family.

We try to be extra aware and careful around other people's pets and homes containing pets.  Most situations can be mitigated or avoided altogether.  Not so easy with grocery stores.  In the end we can only do so much... (My whole life has been one long lesson in realizing how little I can control anything.)

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 6:35 PM, gardenmom5 said:

emotional support animals do not have legal rights to go into stores.  They no longer have rights to fly on airplanes - they are treated like any other pet.
ESA's have housing rights.  

Maybe if more john/jane q public would start asking "what service is your animal trained to provide?"  these people would get uncomfortable enough to stop. But they'd probably do a karen . . . 

but psychiatric service animal handlers have the same rights as any other service dog handler.

I think, unfortunately, that we need to come up with some kind of system of paperwork where people can prove the animal is a service dog and they are the handler.  Right now, that doesn't exist, and while I understand why it's considered an undue burden to ask people to get it, I also think that having the world think you're faking it, because so many people are, is an undue burden.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

Right now, that doesn't exist, and while I understand why it's considered an undue burden to ask people to get it, I also think that having the world think you're faking it, because so many people are, is an undue burden.  

I’m not actually sure why the paperwork is considered an undue burden though. Being able to get and train a service dog is so difficult and often so expensive in itself that paperwork at the end of it seems would be the least of it. As it is, you have all these people getting fake service dog paperwork, which makes things harder for people with real service dogs who know that paperwork isn’t even a thing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m not actually sure why the paperwork is considered an undue burden though. Being able to get and train a service dog is so difficult and often so expensive in itself that paperwork at the end of it seems would be the least of it. As it is, you have all these people getting fake service dog paperwork, which makes things harder for people with real service dogs who know that paperwork isn’t even a thing. 

But there are also people who train their own, so how they would certify those people is the question. 

I agree it needs to change, but it's complicated.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

but psychiatric service animal handlers have the same rights as any other service dog handler.

I think, unfortunately, that we need to come up with some kind of system of paperwork where people can prove the animal is a service dog and they are the handler.  Right now, that doesn't exist, and while I understand why it's considered an undue burden to ask people to get it, I also think that having the world think you're faking it, because so many people are, is an undue burden.  

I think there's a concern that it's not OK to demand to know what someone's health considerations may be.  In many cases it's not legal.  So I can understand people not wanting to mess with that.

I think maybe enforcement may be via official service vests or other animal apparel.  To avoid fakes, I'll bet they could put some sort of chip in the service animal's collar/vest that could be read by a sensor in the store.  I could see some technology like that coming in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cecropia said:

We try to be extra aware and careful around other people's pets and homes containing pets.  Most situations can be mitigated or avoided altogether.  Not so easy with grocery stores.  In the end we can only do so much... (My whole life has been one long lesson in realizing how little I can control anything.)

Yes. I feel for people with allergies. My husband is severely allergic to cats and wouldn't be able to frequent a store open to them. 

I can see how grocery stores could be especially problematic for allergy sufferers. I don't mind if businesses cater to cat or dog people if they follow the law. According to the FDA, "...Live animals, including dogs, cats, and birds, are not allowed in grocery stores and other food establishments."

Of course service animals are an exception. I think there needs to be a good, standard way to verify service animal status without violating people's privacy. There are plenty of people with hidden disabilities. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Just now, MercyA said:

Yes. I feel for people with allergies. My husband is severely allergic to cats and wouldn't be able to frequent a store open to them. 

I can see how grocery stores could be especially problematic for allergy sufferers. I don't mind if businesses cater to cat or dog people if they follow the law. According to the FDA, "...Live animals, including dogs, cats, and birds, are not allowed in grocery stores and other food establishments."

Of course therapy animals are an exception. I think there needs to be a good, standard way to verify therapy animal status without violating people's privacy. There are plenty of people with hidden disabilities. 

Therapy animals are not an exception.  Only service animals. 

I agree there needs to be a standard way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Drama Llama said:

Therapy animals are not an exception.  Only service animals. 

I agree there needs to be a standard way.  

Yes, sorry, I'm tired. I will make the correction.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I don't have a problem with people loving their dogs, I like dogs, however - did you think your dogs were equivalent to an actual human child and deserving of all the same inherent rights and respect from other people?  That you should be able to take them on an airplane?  take them to a restaurant?  take them to a grocery store?

I don't think anyone believes that their animals are homo sapiens. I don't. I do think my dog is a *person* in a sense. By person I mean that she has thoughts and experiences emotions like love, jealousy, playfulness, and anger just as we do. She is her own self. 

She does have some rights (to be safe, to have some degree of autonomy, to have shelter, food, etc).  

I don't think anyone, human or dog or cat, has the "right" to go everywhere. Privately owned businesses make decisions about who to allow on their property. Some airlines freely choose to allow pets in cabin, so, yes, I have taken my dog on airplanes. 

Our animals are fully part of our family.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

My DH had an interesting idea. What if service animals were issued vests printed with QR codes? There could be a central database of doctor-certified service animals. Stores could scan the code and be shown a photo of the animal in question. This would be minimally invasive, respectful of privacy, quick to do, and standard everywhere in the U.S. 

I wouldn't think this would be terribly difficult to do.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MercyA said:

There could be a central database of doctor-certified service animals. 

I don’t think doctors are qualified to do that. IMO it would need to be something like the Canine Good Citizen test, specialized for service dogs and administered by training professionals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don’t think doctors are qualified to do that. IMO it would need to be something like the Canine Good Citizen test, specialized for service dogs and administered by training professionals. 

Right. Because the question is more whether the dog is task trained than whether the owner has a disability. Just having a disability doesn’t allow your pet or ESA public accommodation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1