Menu

Delicious meal ideas please

bookbard

I made a chicken pie with this crust today and it was delicious. It did need more liquid that the recipe called for and I cut the sugar out for the savory pie, but it was a good recipe; especially if you leave some marble sized chunks of butter. Super flakey. 

I also made this Samosa pie not too long ago and everybody loved it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a favorite in my house:

https://joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2022/03/one-pot-vegan-caribbean-pelau-with-beans-and-spinach.html

It's from Julia Turshen's Simply Julia cookbook. I have the book and there's a really good chicken & dumplings recipe in it too (they're sour cream and chive dumplings), and a more-veggies-than-rice fried rice that we love.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Teachaheart said:

Hawawshi!  No one ever mentions that.  I loved eating it in Egypt.  I use the recipe from Amira’s pantry, but everyone has a slightly different recipe so there are lots of variations.  I often use some leftover homemade salsa instead of the vegetables along with the spices, and I use one pound of beef for six smallish American pita breads. Maybe I’ll make hawashi this week.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Amira said:

Hawawshi!  No one ever mentions that.  I loved eating it in Egypt.  I use the recipe from Amira’s pantry, but everyone has a slightly different recipe so there are lots of variations.  I often use some leftover homemade salsa instead of the vegetables along with the spices, and I use one pound of beef for six smallish American pita breads. Maybe I’ll make hawashi this week.

DH is Egyptian. Hawawshi is a staple food in our house. I actually use a spice mix he had made at a market in Cairo on our trip to visit his family last year. I think I’ll try the salsa next time. Yesterday I made it with beef, but we also like it with lamb. And I also use one pound of beef to fill either 6 small  American pitas or 3 fresh loaves from the Mediterranean grocery store down the road. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kassia said:

oh my gosh, I am not worthy.  I hate cooking.  We had pizza tonight and it was delicious.  

I'm eating a packet of salt and vinegar chips, drinking a coke, and wishing someone would cook all these delicious things for me for dinner. The good thing about this forum is that people really do eat things that are quite different from the usual Australian meal list (which is, spaghetti bolognese, stir fry, lasagne and roast meat with veg). I've never had chicken and dumplings before, for example.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This worked really well. You could toast some nuts and scatter them on the top when you serve to make it a main dish https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/sep/17/nigel-slater-recipes-for-braised-aubergines-and-deep-fried-mushrooms-with-sesame

Husband made a variation on this that was good 

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1024606-shrimp-saganaki?smid=ck-recipe-android-share

I tried to make a one pan meal (with how much my family eats it was more than one pan). Sirloin steak with roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus and roasted tomatoes. The potatoes and asparagus were sides and the tomatoes I put on top of the Sirloin steak after I sliced it. This was the recipe that inspired the meal. I didn't totally follow the recipe because the one pan wasn't quite big enough for me to spread every thing out. So the steak actually cooked on top of the potatoes.

https://www.rachelcooks.com/steak-sheet-pan-dinner/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amira said:

thank you for this!  Ds2's girlfriend is from Egypt and maybe I'll make this sometime when she comes home with him.  So you use the salsa in place of the veggies in the recipe - is that what you mean?  (I really am a terrible cook and can't stray from a recipe)

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

thank you for this!  Ds2's girlfriend is from Egypt and maybe I'll make this sometime when she comes home with him.  So you use the salsa in place of the veggies in the recipe - is that what you mean?  (I really am a terrible cook and can't stray from a recipe)

Yes, to replace the vegetables (but I wouldn’t use commercial salsa for it - I know what my homemade salsa tastes like and it works with hawashi, but there’s plenty of commercial salsa that would be weird, I think). If the salsa you’re thinking of using is chunky, you’d probably want to blend it.  But you can also just follow the recipe. I use salsa because it’s quick and easy.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Teachaheart said:

DH is Egyptian. Hawawshi is a staple food in our house. I actually use a spice mix he had made at a market in Cairo on our trip to visit his family last year. I think I’ll try the salsa next time. Yesterday I made it with beef, but we also like it with lamb. And I also use one pound of beef to fill either 6 small  American pitas or 3 fresh loaves from the Mediterranean grocery store down the road. 

I like it with lamb too.  And the spice mix from Cairo would be perfect!  

• Like 1

This BBQ shredded chicken is amazing. I skip adding the sauce during cooking and serve on the side. 

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-bbq-shredded-chicken-168003

Sunshine Broth With Frikadelki    https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sunshine-broth-with-frikadelki

I make  garlic toast in a skillet with olive or sunflower oil, garlic, parsley and a bit of salt to serve on the side with the soup, or cut into croutons to add to it.

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 3

Here’s another new recipe I tried this week and it’s a keeper. It never once occurred to me to make a pasta with tuna that wasn’t a tuna casserole. This one is more like how you make linguine with clams. It’s so tasty and so quick. It’s all done by the time the pasta cooks. 

https://www.abeautifulplate.com/tuna-pasta/

Since recipes like this call for just one or two anchovy fillets, I put the rest in my freezer and a tin of anchovies can last for 3-4 recipes.  If you don’t usually use them, do not be afraid.  It disappears into the oil and just adds a depth of flavor and some umami. You might not need any added salt since it has some salty ingredients. Be sure to taste first. 

Lately, we have made two meals that turned out very well. One was Mississippi Pot Roast. We served this and bought small potatoes that had a variety of colors from the farmer's market. I cut them up in to smaller pieces. I put them in a bowl and added olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder,  salt, and a dash of pepper. Then, after mixing well, I put on a cookie sheet and baked for almost an hour at 400 degrees. It was THE BEST!!!!! Mississippi Pot Roast recipes are all over the internet so you won't have trouble finding it. 

The other meal, my husband made so I do not have the recipe. But it was basically a Greek chicken kabob with a Feta/yogurt type sauce for dipping. It was yummy!!!! I served a Greek salad on the side.

• Like 2

I was surprised how much I liked this Cajun Shrimp and Grits recipe:  https://pinkowlkitchen.com/cajun-shrimp-and-grits/

Mongolian Meatballs and Ramen:  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a57900/mongolian-meatball-ramen-recipe/

Beef Kofta Meatballs with Roaster vegetables: https://www.budgetbytes.com/beef-kofta-meatballs-with-roasted-vegetables/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Beef Kofta Meatballs with Roaster vegetables: https://www.budgetbytes.com/beef-kofta-meatballs-with-roasted-vegetables/                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

We make this regularly, except I can’t be bothered to make meatballs so I make it into 4 burger patties that we throw on the grill. We have it with couscous and tomato-cucumber salad. 

• Like 3

Have you tried the TikTok Feta Pasta that was trending a year or two ago? It’s so easy and surprisingly good. My kids like it when I blend the final result (to make it smoother) but I like it as is. Great recipe if you have a surplus of garden cherry tomatoes. 
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a35421563/baked-feta-pasta-tiktok/

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Here’s another new recipe I tried this week and it’s a keeper. It never once occurred to me to make a pasta with tuna that wasn’t a tuna casserole. This one is more like how you make linguine with clams. It’s so tasty and so quick. It’s all done by the time the pasta cooks. 

https://www.abeautifulplate.com/tuna-pasta/

I do something similar and add arugula near the end (to wilt it like spinach). 

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I do something similar and add arugula near the end (to wilt it like spinach). 

I did that when I made this recipe. I looked at several recipes like this and kind of combined the ideas and many of them topped the dish with arugula or spinach.  I adore arugula and feel it makes everything better.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Teachaheart said:

I've never heard of hawawshi and it looks really interesting. Could I use store bought pita? Some of the comments say their pita was soggy, do you do anything for that. DH loves ground beef and I'd love to branch out from shepherds pie and tacos!

16 minutes ago, Momof4sweetkids said:

I've never heard of hawawshi and it looks really interesting. Could I use store bought pita? Some of the comments say their pita was soggy, do you do anything for that. DH loves ground beef and I'd love to branch out from shepherds pie and tacos!

Yes, absolutely you can use store bought pita. While I have made the pita from scratch a couple times, I rarely have time for that, especially not on the same day I’m making the hawawshi. Overall, hawawshi is very easy to make and easy to customize. 

For me the bread does tend to get a little soggy when I flip it and cook the second side. I imagine using a baking rack instead of just the sheet pan would make a difference. You could also crisp the soggy sides in a skillet before serving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if you'll be able to access this?  (I have a NYT cooking membership.)  This chicken and quick dumplings recipe is always a hit.  (The dumplings are store-bought gnocchi.)  Instead of rotisserie chicken, I use chicken breasts which I cook and shred.  (Less expensive!)  I use any milk I happen to have on hand instead of cream.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020756-quick-chicken-and-dumplings?action=click&module=RecipeBox&pgType=recipebox-page&region=chicken dumplings&rank=0

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I'm not sure if you'll be able to access this?  (I have a NYT cooking membership.)  This chicken and quick dumplings recipe is always a hit.  (The dumplings are store-bought gnocchi.)  Instead of rotisserie chicken, I use chicken breasts which I cook and shred.  (Less expensive!)  I use any milk I happen to have on hand instead of cream.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020756-quick-chicken-and-dumplings?action=click&module=RecipeBox&pgType=recipebox-page&region=chicken dumplings&rank=0

You should be able to send it as a gift link.  I could see it, but I also subscribe to NYT cooking. 

• Like 1

I will add an Australian recipe site which is good, and I've used frequently: RecipeTin Eats - A Food Blog Serving Up Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes.

She is aware of her American readership so does 'translate' certain ingredients into the American versions. I actually bought the recipe book for myself for Christmas with the goal of cooking each thing, but after the first one I haven't done any more . . . 

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

That sounds quick and easy, thank you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

I will add an Australian recipe site which is good, and I've used frequently: RecipeTin Eats - A Food Blog Serving Up Quick & Easy Dinner Recipes.

She is aware of her American readership so does 'translate' certain ingredients into the American versions. I actually bought the recipe book for myself for Christmas with the goal of cooking each thing, but after the first one I haven't done any more . . . 

That sounds quick and easy, thank you!

I’m seeing RecipeTin for the first time and I love it.  Especially that she has a food bank.  Thanks so much for posting!

• Like 1

I made this garlic chicken and orzo yesterday:  https://www.howsweeteats.com/2022/10/garlic-butter-chicken-orzo/

It was very good, but I think it would have been even better with some kale or spinach, and some red pepper flakes (but my family likes spice). Some sundried or fresh tomatoes could be good too (though I'm the only tomato lover in the family). I'd probably use either half olive oil instead of all butter next time - I'm not sure why I didn't.

I have recipes saved all over the place: Instagram, NY Times, Pocket App - that one is nice because of the ability to add tags to recipe. But since I don't like to cook from a device, I generally print all but the most simple recipes to cook from. Keepers go into a binder. My current favorite site is Modern Proper. They have an awesome cookbook too. https://themodernproper.com/   I follow a lot of recipe sites in Instragram and have recipes coming at me all the time. I love to cook; planning not so much.

• Thanks 1

I made this last night and it was pretty good. I used heavy cream because I had some left from another recent recipe. I'd make it again but with half and half. I always have half and half on hand for my coffee so I don't see a need to buy heavy cream just for this recipe.  I served it with a simple lettuce salad with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and grated parmesan. It was quick and easy though it took me longer than the recipe says, for two reasons. She used precooked chicken sausage but mine was uncooked. I had to cook it first. I also didn't have a jar of sauce so I made a marinara. Even with the extra time and work that I added it was still easy.

https://www.nourish-and-fete.com/italian-chicken-sausage-pasta/

I make this quite often. We all like it and it's another (almost) one pot meal. I say almost because I serve it over orzo so another pot is needed to cook the pasta. If you are low carb it would be filling enough without pasta or you could serve it with cauliflower rice.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/healthy-lemon-parmesan-chicken-and-veggies-cooking-classy/

• Like 1