Menu

Walking to work in the summer

Dmmetler

Starting June 5, my car will be driving down into the city each weekday with an employed teen. I'll be teaching camps and piano lessons T-W-Th. My studio is less than a mile from home, and I plan to take everything over I need this week. In theory, it should be no big deal, right?

Except I live in Memphis. And have Hashimoto's and am perimenopausal. I usually go out and walk early morning or after the sun has started setting.,

Ugh. It would be silly to rent a car when I need to go less than 2 miles a day, right???

2 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Starting June 5, my car will be driving down into the city each weekday with an employed teen. I'll be teaching camps and piano lessons T-W-Th. My studio is less than a mile from home, and I plan to take everything over I need this week. In theory, it should be no big deal, right?

Except I live in Memphis. And have Hashimoto's and am perimenopausal. I usually go out and walk early morning or after the sun has started setting.,

Ugh. It would be silly to rent a car when I need to go less than 2 miles a day, right???

Could you explain the situation and have the last student's parents take you home? A friend? A neighbor? Last resort, an Uber?

• Like 1

I would do it and I'm old, peri/menopausal, and very out of shape.   I would keep Uber as a back-up for weather, a rough day, needing to bring a bunch of stuff for some unusual reason, etc.   If it was a safe ride, a bike would be worth trying as well.   I'd wear comfortable walking clothes and maybe bring something to change into in case I get a little bit sweaty or uncomfortable, and make sure to have water.   Could you arrive earlier or leave later to make sure you aren't walking in the hottest part of the day?

I've actually given this type of thing a lot of thought.  I want to walk to work but it's either a 5 mile flat-ish walk on really busy roads with no sidewalks and some places with no shoulder, with lots of bikes, and cars that drive too fast, or a 3-ish mile walk over some very large hills through a county park.    I'm trying out sections of the walk to see if I can find a medium route by taking different trails.    I do have the option for Dh to drive me home if I can't make the trip both ways since he works close by.  

I recently started riding a bike around our neighborhood.  I hadn't ridden one since my 30's maybe?  Possibly 20's?  It comes back instantly.  Although it might be best to do a lot of practicing before you actually make the trek to work on it.

Honestly, though, I would definitely not want to walk to work in Memphis in the summer.  I would rent the car.   

Edited by kathyl
  • Like 1

What time do you need to be at work? 

I would probably want to avoid the heat and leave my house around 8 or 8:30 at the latest (even if work does not start until 10) and walk slowly with a lot of ice water. I would probably pack my lunch and breakfast just so I  could leave early. I would be concerned about thunderstorms on your way home. We have lots of afternoon thunderstorms in Atlanta in the summer. Are there any co-workers who could bring you home? 

Early covid when we were all trapped at home I just started walking almost daily.  And I would go in the dead of winter and the high heat of summer.  Usually I had to go in the middle of the day.  And I'm overweight, out of shape, perimenopausal, heat sensitive.  And I was surprised how quickly I adjusted.  And it made me feel better in all ways, I've been at it for over 3 years.  In theory, this should be less than a 20 minute walk right?

I'd try and invest in the right stuff to make you happy.  Audible, headphones, camelback, good shoes, sun hat, bag for your gear.  You can get cooling neck wraps that you put in the freezer to put on.

I'd save uber for severe weather or the very hottest days.  I also might consider walking through the process of the teen taking transit if possible or dropping off (or hybrid) if you need the car.  I actually might be more irritated about the vehicle on your non work days for running errands, etc.  

• Like 1

That amount of walking is just daily walking. I also fit into the categories you listed. If you don’t have shade cover on your walk, bring an umbrella. It makes a huge difference. Beyond that, take water, go slowly, and wear comfortable shoes. A mile = 15-20 min at a leisurely pace. You can do this!

Also, if you were in my body, I would also recommend you pack a protein snack. The first week or so of summer heat makes my blood sugars unstable. I am not diabetic, but can act like a hypoglycemic under certain conditions.

• Like 7

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

That amount of walking is just daily walking. I also fit into the categories you listed. If you don’t have shade cover on your walk, bring an umbrella. It makes a huge difference. Beyond that, take water, go slowly, and wear comfortable shoes. A mile = 15-20 min at a leisurely pace. You can do this!

Also, if you were in my body, I would also recommend you pack a protein snack. The first week or so of summer heat makes my blood sugars unstable. I am not diabetic, but can act like a hypoglycemic under certain conditions.

This. You’ve got this!

Maybe Uber once in a while if it’s dangerously hot, but for the most part I think this sounds like a great plan.

18 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Is there any possibility of dropping your teen off at work, so that you can have the car?

It's a 30 minute drive each way. Probably more given that teen needs to be there at 9:00, so will hit rush hour traffic. There is absolutely NO public transit from the suburbs into the city (and very little in Memphis at all). 

26 minutes ago, lmrich said:

What time do you need to be at work? 

I would probably want to avoid the heat and leave my house around 8 or 8:30 at the latest (even if work does not start until 10) and walk slowly with a lot of ice water. I would probably pack my lunch and breakfast just so I  could leave early. I would be concerned about thunderstorms on your way home. We have lots of afternoon thunderstorms in Atlanta in the summer. Are there any co-workers who could bring you home? 

That's doable, but would be a long day-I teach until 6:30. 

Thunderstorms are a possibility, but I could text my teen to come get me. The Nature Camp ends at 3:00. 

If I had the money, I would definitely rent a car. If I couldn’t afford it, I would get a bicycle or scooter, maybe even an electric scooter would be cheaper than renting a car for that length of time. 

As a fellow southerner and perimenopausal woman, I also only walk in the early mornings or late evenings during the summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

It's been more than 30 years since I last rode a bike....

I thought the same thing when we rented bikes on Sanibel Island in Florida last summer and really, it was no big deal. However, do get a bike with a comfortable seat. I loved the bikes there. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I thought the same thing when we rented bikes on Sanibel Island in Florida last summer and really, it was no big deal. However, do get a bike with a comfortable seat. I loved the bikes there. 

Yes, I had to order a few from Amazon before I found the perfect seat.  It was well worth it.  I also got a couple of rear view mirrors so I didn't have to turn around and look for cars.  And a basket to carry stuff.  🙂

• Like 3

With the humidity that I think you'd experience, combined with perimenopause - I'd rent a car if you can afford it (or see how biking goes - but that would depend on the safety of the streets). You might be drenched in sweat before you even start the day. I sympathize.

• Like 2

70% RH and hot summer temperatures can make you drench a cotton tshirt if you are walking in the sun.

But there’s an art to summer dressing, right? I wear wool dresses more frequently in the summer. They dry quickly, and I find I don’t sweat as heavily. Loose flowing linen jumpsuits or lightweight hiking pants (that generally don’t look like hikers) and a nylon shirt also dry quickly. 

I think we’ve largely forgotten these things, culturally, but most of the rest of the world copes with summer heat and we can too. 😁

• Like 3

I've been in Memphis in the summertime. The humidity is bad. If I walked a mile at any time other than super early or after sundown, I'd be a sweaty, sticky mess - and often any time of day is super hard because it is always humid!  An umbrella helps with sun but it does not help with humidity.  And whenever I finally got where I was, I'd be extra tired because that humidity seems to really suck the energy out of me. Bike wouldn't help much either. If I did walk or bike, I would definitely want to shower when I got there and change clothes. 

So maybe regularly other folks deal with the heat/humidity, but I'm used to A/C, and I just can't deal with it.

So I vote checking into Uber to see what that would cost vs. renting a car. Or maybe another family member would let you take them to work and use their car during the day on your work days? 

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This. I understand the heat and humidity - I lived in MS for years. I’d just dress appropriately, have plenty of water, and wash up when I arrived. 

Sometimes I miss walking to work. I had a 2 mile walk and would change into my work clothes when I got it. I was able to change and get ready in the ladies restroom.

The biggest factor for me would be what time of day am I going in? If its at the hottest point, then I'd rather bike ride or find another alternative.