Menu

Sunglass options for eyeglass wearers? All set, thanks!

Hilltopmom

I’m new this year to wearing eyeglasses full time (I have progressives).

I’ve always preferred plastic light weight sport style sunglasses that wrap around (we bike, kayak, & hike a lot plus live on a lake so are at the beach all summer)

What do you do for sunglasses?-

prescription sunglasses?

clip ons?- that’s what I’ve been doing for driving and reading in the backyard, ugly and uncomfortable, won’t work for outdoor sports

transition lens with built in darkening stuff?

I don’t need new glasses yet but do need a sunglass solution.

(these are what I usually wear)

ETA- All set, I got a pair of wrap arounds for now, thanks! 🙂

image.jpg

Edited by Hilltopmom

I’ve tried all the options. There are positives and negatives to each. 

Transition lenses are convenient but they don’t darken inside the car. Clip-on sunglasses are small and easy to carry but don’t cover the sides. Prescription sunglasses give me the best vision, but my prescription is so high that the ones that cover more on the sides have a greater distortion, and they are a more expensive option. The fit over sunglasses provide more side protection without as much distortion. They are relatively inexpensive (I got several for around $15 when our K-mart was going out of business) and don’t have to be changed with every prescription change, but they are bulky to carry around.

• Like 1

I wear glasses with transitions lens daily. DS17 plays tennis in his glasses with transitions.  I also have prescription sunglasses for the beach.

What I did not like was Costco Drivewear because it’s permanently dark while I want it to behave like transitions. So that pair is used as sunglasses instead of daily wear.

• Like 2

I wear transition lenses, because I need my glasses and it is too expensive to buy separate prescription sunglasses with my complicated prescription. However, I do ask for the darker transition (I think there are three levels of darkness, but my eye place can't get the third one, for some reason.) This has made a big difference for me, because the first darkness isn't dark enough. Mine have always darkened in the car, so that hasn't been an issue. It doesn't cost any more to get the darker ones.

• Like 2

Do you need your prescription for distance? If not, maybe you can keep wearing your sport sunglasses for activities and your prescription glasses for reading type activities. This sounds good in theory, but didn't work well if I'm carrying my phone with me, which I often am.

When my kid with bifocals played soccer we bought some pricey prescription sports glasses at his distance prescription. They were similar to the sunglasses you wear now. 

If this is your first year with glasses, though, I would try to muddle through cheaply for a year or two to see what your prescription does. Mine has changed very little in the last two years, so I'm forking out for an expensive singles option. My eye Dr says that by mid to late 50s people's prescriptions usually got another point of stability.

• Like 2

I love my progressive transition lenses. But I mostly avoid the sun like the plague if I can. I can't say that mine darken in the car, but they do something that helps. It may be the anti-glare coating? IDK. If I spent a lot of time outside in the sun I think I'd want a pair of prescription sunglasses, if those could be done w/o distortion. The sunglasses that go over regular glasses work well, but they're clunky and wearing two pairs makes my ears hurt. I've had the magnetic ones that click on over my regular glasses and those were okay but (like with transitions) they don't offer much/any side coverage.

• Like 1

I didn't want to plunk out for prescription progressives (which are what I would need) so I just picked a cute pair of random sunglasses on my last cruise. They worked, but like you're imagining I couldn't read my phone which you need to do even on a sailboat, haha. I had a pair of wraparounds I had bought for my previous progressives but these new ones are a larger frame. I may just buy a new pair of wraparounds. They're cheap at walmart, not a big deal.

If your scrip changes seldom, then investing in prescription sunglasses could be reasonable. Mine changes Every Year and I already buy two pairs (workspace and regular progressives). Adding a 3rd pair to that is just too much even though the optometrist wishes I would. But I know people who can use their same glasses 5 years because their eyes change so slowly! Just depends on your scrip. I have astigmatism and the degree of rotation changes. If it's off (by the end of a year in them) I get back headaches. You could buy wraparound for now, see how much they bug you, then make that decision later if your scrip stays about the same.

Once I splurged on an expensive pair of prescription sunglasses and was so disappointed.  I found it was a nuisance switching back and forth from sunglasses to regular glasses.  I had polarized lenses and found I couldn't read screens well, including some of the electronic displays in cars.  I found the best solution to be the wrap-around sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses; it has been a number of years since I bought some, but I think I got mine at REI.  

You can buy "over glasses" sunglasses that go all the way around.  I have some - very nice in a very bright environment or on the water

I like the ones that "stretch" to fit over the frames.  no arms.  (not the ones that "flip up").   I remember when the magnetic sunglasses came out with the prescription glasses - but then you'd lose the magnetic part and need something else for sunglasses.

My son has prescription sunglasses.  Given how I lose them . . . 

I also have progressives. Like others mentioned, transitions don't work in the car. I ended up getting my daily glasses in transitions and then a prescription pair of sunglasses for driving. Since my distance vision doesn't change as fast as my near vision, I have not had to change up the prescription sunglasses for a few years. I will probably need to soonish. 

My daughter and I prefer the kind of sunglasses you put on over a regular glasses

My son has had transitions this past year but is going back to regular glasses and clip on sunglasses. He doesn't like how long they stay dark inside the building. I have never used transitions because the main place I want sunglasses is driving and they don't work then

My mom would turn her old glasses into prescription sunglasses by getting them tinted after getitng the new pair back. I have considered seeing if I could find somewhere willing to do that

• Like 1

I use spring clip-ons, like these. I tend to buy them in person because it's a challenge to find the right frame shape and size. I've bought them at CVS or Walmart. I prefer these as I don't like transitions and I don't want to mess with two pairs of glasses. I also wear progressives. I used these type of clip ons for years, however.  https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Polarized-Sunglasses-Height-Millimeters/dp/B07HSWJLB2/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=clip%2Bon%2Bsunglasses&qid=1681486535&sprefix=clip%2Bon%2Bsun%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-10&th=1

I have regular progressive sunglasses for driving and most other daily use.

I have special progressive sunglasses with the bottom (reading) part focussed at my feet for hiking.  I found that wearing the normal progressives for hiking threw my depth perception off enough to make rocky slopes kind of dangerous, and this solution worked beautifully.  

And I have progressive computer glasses for working on my laptop outside in the mountains—a splurge that I call ‘My Living The Dream Sunglasses’.  

Yes, that’s a lot, but I am very nearsighted and also I assembled this collection over several years of really good insurance.

• Like 1

DH wears transition glasses, but I don't like how long they stay dark when he comes inside, so I haven't tried them for myself. I have worn clip on sunglasses previously and now use a wraparound style. Both work fine for me. I liked the clip ons, because they take up very little room, but that also made them easy to lose track of. I rarely lose track of my wraparound sunglasses.

My main reason for posting, though, is to say that when DH got new glasses this year, they told him he could now get transition lenses that would darken in the car, so they do exist. They don't get as dark as they do when he is outside, though.

I’m not a fan in transition lens. They are not dark enough for my sensitive eyes and then they stay dark too long after I’m inside. I’m very happy with wrap around sport sunglasses with prescription lens. I wear them often and couldn’t drive or spend time outside without them even though I’m not required to have them for driving. 

I have progressives with transition and UV protection. FWIW I've been wearing glasses since I was 9, though I didn't start out wearing them all the time. As an adult I tried all options - prescription sunglasses, clip-ons, and transitions. I found separate sunglasses to be annoying. It's very bright and sunny nearly year round here and I didn't like having to switch every time I went outside. If I don't use the sunglasses when outside the bright sun is irritating to my eyes so it was necessary to switch even if just going out for a short time. Clip-ons were always difficult to get right, even when springing for higher priced options that were supposed to fit properly. And they're easy to lose or forget. I've had transitions for years now and plan to always use them. It's true they don't get *as dark* in the car but they do darken somewhat. At least the ones I have do. Also, my car windows are tinted enough that it's not a big deal. Unless I'm heading directly west into the setting sun, I get enough tint from my glasses and the car window. And if I was heading into the sun, even the best, darkest sunglasses would still have me squinting. 

• Like 1

Huge fan of transitions here.  I can’t see with our contacts or glass and my eyes are very sun sensitive.  My glasses are transitions that are made the darkest possible and my sunglasses as I wear contacts most of the time are some ones I found on Amazon that are extremely dark.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 9 and hate the clip ons.  My glasses are thick enough even being the thin ones that a pair of over sunglasses is too much weight on my face.  If I wore glasses only, I would invest in a pair or two of prescription sunglasses only but that is due to me being sun sensitive.  Plus, I am always moving and it would drive me crazy. 

DS only wears glasses and his transitions.  He gets the darkest as possible as he his eyes are extremely sun sensitive.  He hated the clip on ones. 

Dh and I both have the type of sunglasses that fit over your eyeglasses. For us they are the best option and the least expensive. I just got a new pair of sunglasses from Walmart because the pair that I have had for over 5 years now finally broke. Even our little country Walmart has quite a selection of fit-over sunglasses. My sunglasses live in my purse just as they always have even when I wore contacts and could wear any old pair of sunglasses.

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

DS only wears glasses and his transitions.  He gets the darkest as possible as he his eyes are extremely sun sensitive.  He hated the clip on ones. 

1 hour ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I went with a second pair so I could get nice polarized lenses. I cannot be without my prescription. I am eyeing pair eyewear for my next purchase. They have different opinions that use a magnet to attach. 

The magnetic clip on ones attracted the metal teaspoons when I use them in my coffee cups years ago. The teaspoon got stuck to my glasses (when not using the clip on) at the magnet area 🤦‍♀️ So I gave up using that pair.

ETA:

What I meant

IMG_0022.jpeg.c0d92f3c26c6a13801a8312df70da319.jpeg

Edited by Arcadia

My transition lenses have numbers on them and I can see them. They get in my way and are very distracting. The next time I get a new rx I’ll probably get two pair - one tinted and one not. But, only if the tint comes without the numbers.  DH has numbers in the same places and he can’t see them. 

7 minutes ago, TechWife said:

My transition lenses have numbers on them and I can see them. They get in my way and are very distracting. 

My transition lenses as well as prescription sunglasses are done at different Lenscrafters and Costco and they never had numbers. That’s weird that your lenses have numbers and that would be distracting.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My transition lenses as well as prescription sunglasses are done at different Lenscrafters and Costco and they never had numbers. That’s weird that your lenses have numbers and that would be distracting.

It is weird. We have to use a specific lab for our vision plan. My dh didn’t know the numbers were there until I looked for them after seeing mine. Even now that he knows where they are he can’t see them unless he intentionally looks. 

ETA - I just searched for info. Apparently the marks are there because they are progressive lenses, not because they are transition lenses. I wonder if the transition medium makes them more visible to me? This is not my first pair of progressive lenses, but it is my first pair of transition lenses. Hmm…

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

If you have an old pair of glasses that are close enough for what you do while wearing sunglasses, some places will tint your old ones. They might not get as dark as regular sunglasses, but you can at least ask. 

I do not like transitions at all. 

I have Rx sunglasses (and they wrap a bit to the side--styles change and are better some times than others), and so far, I am fine without them being progressive lenses for driving; I also don't need them to be my most up-to-date script since I'm not switching from near to far. I don't really read outside in the bright sun, and when I garden, I try to stick to the shade. I am hoping this arrangement will work until the close-up part of my progressive lens prescription stabilizes.

• Hilltopmom changed the title to Sunglass options for eyeglass wearers? All set, thanks!

I got prescription sunglasses just in the distance prescription and keep them in my car. I kind of wish I'd gotten progressives and I might do that this coming up summer. I can read without my glasses and last summer I did that outside with just regular sunglasses. 

I get my glasses through Zenni and they are super cheap (but really good quality) so I felt good about ordering multiple pairs. Dh has worn glasses his whole life and has used Zenni for a long time. 

• Thanks 1