Menu

Easiest time-saving, emergency meals?

Spryte

Please share your easiest, time-saving meals.

We are in a tight spot. I’m in an intense treatment for a very painful condition and can barely stand up for a few hours to get school done. DH has been our chef for the last year because of that, along with take out for those who can eat it. We hope I’m in the home stretch but it’s excruciating right now and will be for a month or so. DH’s mom just passed, and he’s incredibly busy for the next ten days or so. DS is in his fourth week of college needing lots of support, and between the three of us like this — we are all just eating junk.

Throw your ideas at us, and we will use what we can. We are all on weird diets, but I will try to adjust.

DS is no peanuts, nuts, sesame, avocado, banana, lentils, dairy, wheat, eggs (baked ok). 

DD is no dairy.

I am Celiac, plus no shellfish. And on an extremely low acid diet, so most premade things and condiments are out. Lots of foods are out, too, but I can live on veggies and baked potatoes. 

Or if all else fails, tell me it’s time to stock the freezer with safe (expensive, because of our needs) chicken tenders and steam veggies every day! 

• Like 1

I am so sorry you're going through this. Here are a few ideas for super low prep healthy meals

Soups. Veggies plus potatoes plus beans (if those aren't out for the no lentil person). Throw in the crockpot. 

Veggie curry with coconut milk; rice.

Roasted veggies, fish , potatoes.  Stick in the oven.

Baked oatmeal (gf oats available?). Use flax instead of egg, plant milk. Fruit.

Tacos? Dairy free person leaves put the cheese. 

Is gf pasta any good? 

Edited by regentrude
  • Thanks 2

I would go stock up on pre-cooked frozen chicken and frozen steam bags of vegetables. Idk if your local Sam’s club stocks the chicken but that’s most of what I ate in my last pregnancy (plus egg whites, berries, and a tiny bit of fish & fat free cheese). I added crackers and extra fruits for the kids and sauces and the whole family ate that way. 

In my case DH was working 80+ hours a week, had a 40 minute commute one way, and the smell of raw meat made me puke well into my third trimester. 

• Thanks 1

These ideas are great, thank you! Keep them coming!

I had forgotten about the crock pot. I can pull that out tomorrow. Tacos are probably out for me, but would feed everyone else. Everyone loves tacos.

The low acid diet is brand new for me, and it’s really like a version of the IC diet if you’ve seen that. Lots of no-nos. Limited fruits, very bland food, and I’m a spicy food girl, so this is tricky. It’s pretty limited, unless I’m really cooking (which won’t happen at present). 

The main thing is to feed everyone else, I can survive on *whatever* (my diet is a lot like the one @Katy described, so I’m stealing some ideas there!).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Or if all else fails, tell me it’s time to stock the freezer with safe (expensive, because of our needs) chicken tenders and steam veggies every day! 

It is!

I would do things like meat, steamed/baked veggie, steamed/baked veggie, starch. All pretty plain. A lot of our meals fit this, and usually each person home has a responsibility to prep and/or cook one of those things. 

If you have soups you like, do as much as possible from pre-prepped veggies, etc. Put them in the crock pot or instant pot.

Sheet pan meals if people like baked stuff--they are usually straightforward.

Anything that lends itself to a build-your-own theme works well with allergies because people can put on what they can have and leave off what they can't.

If having Taco Tuesday every week works, then see what other things like that you can put on autopilot. If the problem is appointment days, then find an appointment day strategy and plan around that.

If you have helpers, but the trick is crisis point right at dinner time, consider prepping things ahead for the next day at whatever time works.

I'm not sure if something like pesto is high acid, but if you tolerate it, you could also do a GF pizza night with premade crusts and add your own toppings, assuming the dairy free person has a DF cheese or wouldn't mind something unconventional on their crust. When I can tolerate it, I like pesto instead of sauce, but sometimes I tolerate sauce. Pesto can be made from fresh stuff and frozen in cubes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

The low acid diet is brand new for me, and it’s really like a version of the IC diet if you’ve seen that. Lots of no-nos. Limited fruits, very bland food, and I’m a spicy food girl, so this is tricky. It’s pretty limited, unless I’m really cooking (which won’t happen at present). 

Hugs! It's hard to get used to a new diet.

I would try to make some food that you really like once in a while even if everyone else frozen stuff on that particular night. 

• Thanks 1

Rotisserie Chicken from Sam's. Add whatever frozen veggies you have in the freezer plus sweet potato (microwave if short on time).
Next night, bowls using leftover chicken (Mexican with beans/lettuce/rice/tomatoes/corn/whatever or Greek - olives, hummus, quinoa, feta cheese, cucumbers, whatever)

Or make chicken salad with leftovers. If you do not put fruit in it, it seems to free okay. Not great, but okay.

I've also sauted leftover chicken in bar-b-que sauce, or enchilada sauce and used in a bowl, or on potato, or in salad, or on nachos, or on pizza. 

• Thanks 1

If you need special chicken breast that doesn’t come precooked I’ve found I could cut it up most quickly with kitchen sheers when it’s still raw. It’s really quick to cube that way. Then I throw a costco or sam’s club package into two 9x13 pans, season, and bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, depending on altitude and whether your oven runs hot or cold. When it cools you can freeze it in baggies. By doing it in quantity you can also sit at the table to prepare it, then have an older kid wash everything down with a 10% bleach solution afterwards to sanitize. 

You can also do the same thing with a big pot of lentils or beans.  

• Thanks 1

Black bean tacos

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can corn drained

1 can diced tomatoes, slightly drained

1 packet taco seasoning mix 

mix all together and serve on tortillas with cheese.

can add in cooked gr beef or chicken, rice, serve over chips, add lettuce and sour cream, make into a taco salad or ????,    Super quick, cheap, and flexible

• Thanks 1

potato quiche/casserole

spray baking dish, spread frozen shredded potatoes, whatever veggies you can handle (I think the bag of frozen onion/pepper would be good or broccoli if any of those work for you).  beaten eggs (can add whatever milk sub you like to use or not).  Salt and pepper.  Bake till set.  I personally would make a really large batch and freeze extras for another day.

• Thanks 1

Our go-to during the summer is just cooking up a mess of chicken.  It gets served so many ways:

• On greens for an 'everyone make your own salad night'
  • Chicken salad with grapes, carrot shreds and celery
  • Tossed in a curry
  • Made into kabobs to serve with rice
  • Chili or other soup/stew

I'm not sure what would work for you.  We tend to make our own spice blends but I'm not sure what might trigger a reaction in others, so I won't offer them up.

My oldest's want list is one item: a rice cooker.  He will eat just about anything on rice and keeps it in the fridge after bulk cooking for the week.  Burrito bowls have been a go-to here because we change up the available ingredients each time, but half the time he's great with just pulling out leftovers.

• Thanks 1

Taco cabbage:  sauté ground meat of choice - could use chicken too - Add chopped cabbage.  Season with chili powder - 1-2 tsp.  Add 1 cup of salsa of your choice.  Simmer covered until cabbage is done.  Dairy people can top with shredded cheddar cheese.

Easy and yummy.

• Thanks 1

We pretty much eat out of our instant pots. Tonight the left one has cauliflower, which I will smash down into mashed potato consistency. The right one has stew beef and mushrooms and broth and spices. 

Other nights: chicken thighs in marinades + microwaved veggies (no need to get the steamable bags), black beans and rice (to do chipotle bowls), and so on. 

Contemplate how you use your energy. Doing grocery pickup or delivery instead of IRL shopping and other things help me prioritize appropriately how I expend what I do. I do a lot of food prep like veggie dicing with a food processor. Or, seated. 

• Thanks 1

Breakfast for dinner.

Instant oatmeal made with dairy free milk, tofu scramble, bowl of low acid fruit.

Piece of salmon on a sheet pan under the broiler with some mini potatoes (here you can get a bag that’s prewashed etc . . .) and some veggies. 

Chicken tenders, microwave sweet potatoes, frozen veggies.

Rice and beans with canned beans and precooked rice.

I would lean into the convenience foods and just find healthy ones.  Add some fresh produce.  

I am sorry you are in a tough spot.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

Anything that lends itself to a build-your-own theme works well with allergies because people can put on what they can have and leave off what they can't.

This made me think of Buddha Bowls or Keto bowls or Paleo bowls or whatever your dietary needs are. Then folks can pick and choose what they want to put in. They also generally look pretty when finished. I get dd13 to make the sauce or dressing, and sometimes have the other kids cut veggies.

• Like 2

My white chili recipe is super easy.  Requires chopping up one or two onion and having some cooked shredded or chopped chicken…other than that it is just opening cans and adding some spices.  We usually have lots of toppings available too which people can add as they please.  White cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado, tortilla chips…it is always a big hit for company top. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you eat frozen veg? I do green curry paste, chopped chicken thigh or breast, coconut milk, frozen veg and cook rice as a quick meal everyone eats. The recipe is on the curry paste jar but you can pretty much used any veg etc. pre chopped fresh stir fry veges can save time. I think it’s totally fine to do some freezer meals though and if you’re not already ordering groceries online that might help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My brother cooks rice, then packs it into containers with frozen veg and a protein he's cooked (though a pre-roasted chicken from the supermarket will do) and fills the freezer with them. People can add whatever sauce or topping they like for flavour when they defrost it. 

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

My brother cooks rice, then packs it into containers with frozen veg and a protein he's cooked (though a pre-roasted chicken from the supermarket will do) and fills the freezer with them. People can add whatever sauce or topping they like for flavour when they defrost it. 

This is what ds is doing.    You can do it on the grill, too, to bring a little different flavor.   He’s meal prepping this way to grab and go for work.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Burritos have been a go to for ages. Whatever safe for you all tortillas with a build your own selection that provides variety. Rice, beans, lettuce, bell peppers, some meat, potato, sweet potato, squash etc. I am not normally one to buy or suggest canned beans, but opening a can of black beans to go with dinner and a can of chicken peas to use as chickpea salad the next day. 

Another favorite is crustless pot pie done over 2 days. Throw all the veggies for broth in the morning of day one. Strain and put in fridge before bed. The next day add whatever you use to thicken liquid for gravy, the protien (precooked chicken breast works) and frozen veggies, heat and serve. You can skip making your own broth.

• Thanks 1

Microwave a bag or two of frozen edamame in a glass dish with a tiny bit of water. 

Cook a large batch sweet potatoes in microwave. 

If you have an Instant Pot, cook two cups quinoa or rice in that. 

Open canned or boxed chickpeas into glass container. 

Steam some frozen or fresh bagged kale. 

Store all above items in fridge and pull out when needed to make plate. 

This is my go to for keeping myself well fed when I’m hurting too badly to stand in the kitchen too long. 

Oatmeal for breakfast, a plate for lunch, and nutritionally dense smoothies for supper. Mixed nuts and fresh fruit for snacks. 

Hope you feel better very soon!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Get a large package of boneless chicken breasts and grill them all at the same time. Package them individually and put them in the freezer. This gets you cooked chicken for tacos, fajitas, soup, casseroles and then just regular chicken breasts. 

Quick meals - probably not on everyone’s diet but maybe some; also not factoring in cost because time is money and all that so only You can decide. 

Ravioli: 1 jar spaghetti sauce

1 package of frozen ravioli with your filling of choice

bread or crackers of some kind 

Tacos: thaw chicken breast & cut up or shred, cook with seasoning mix of your choice; serve with corn and/or flour tortillas; add plain yogurt, lettuce, tomato, avocado, rice, whatever. 

Potato & Salad: 

1 bag of salad - add cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers to taste, chicken if desired, favorite dressing; potato with or without filling 

chili - ground turkey & seasoning of choice

Roast chicken - pick up roast chicken at grocery of your choice; pre measured fresh veggies in steamer bag (in produce section); rice in a bag (pre measured goes in microwave ) or mashed potatoes from refrigerated section 

breakfast for dinner- you can make waffles ahead and freeze them or just use already frozen ones from the grocery, heat in toaster; get fresh cut fruit from the produce section at the grocery store; juice, water, tea, coffee. Add yogurt if you are able.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Making a list now. Thank you all so much.

Our kids have so many (anaphylactic) allergies that any time we add a new food issue on top of those I have a mini crisis. Adding in all the stuff going on around it, yikes. I needed some creative problem solving!

• Like 4

I’d do a big piece of meat that’s good leftover and coast for a few days by switching the sides. You can do a lot with ham. Corned beef or regular brisket has a long cook time but is mostly hands off and can be reworked into sandwiches, hash, salads. If there is an egg substitute your family can have, a frittata is filling and will hold lots of meat and veg. 

I’m not big on cold salads in the winter, but I’ve been doing a big pot of soup on Mondays that gives us 2-3 meals throughout the week. If there are seven safe meals your family can eat, just rotate them for dinner until you get past this. Nobody cares if they have chicken every week. It’s fine. Ignore creativity for a while and stick to proven winners. And yes, but the expensive nuggets. It’s still cheaper than takeout. 

• Thanks 1

A favorite of mine is to take a cup of orange lentils and a cup of finally chopped carrots. Cook in vegetable broth (any off the shelf brand works) and add a tablespoon of cumin, garlic to taste, salt to taste and serve with rice and salad. It takes about an hour on the stove top with occasional simmering. Do it like Anne Burrell. BTBRTS. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Fresh veggies or salad to go with.  Very hearty and healthy, tasty too.

Edited by Faith-manor
Typos I hate the kindle
  • Thanks 1

A common lunch for me is variations on rice bowls.

Firstly, I make giant batches of brown rice, and of pearl barley. I freeze these cooked grains in sandwich bags of about 2 servings.

When I want a rice bowl (or a barley bowl) I start with a splash of water in the bottom of a bowl, and I add a handful of frozen veggies of my choice. I then add some meat: either leftovers, or meats that I have pre-cooked, cubed, and frozen for this purpose. I crumple the frozen grains on top, put a plate over the bowl to contain the steam, and microwave it until everything is hot. Then I stir, add butter, and/or sauce, and/or seasoning salt.

For me this is a complete individual meal with almost no at-the-time effort. You do need to pre-make the rice, barley, and cubed leftover meats though. I usually cook meat in large batches, some for 'that meal' and a lot to keep frozen for rice bowls -- which isn't much more effort than just cooking meat as a meal's worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a fan of ingredients meals and don’t prep them nearly as much as I should, so this has been a great reminder.

‘Potatoes to nuke, a batch of rice, maybe a fancy bread. Some variation of cooked chicken and/or beef, and/or other. A batch or can of beans. Cans or steamable bags of veg. And a whole door of condiments, juices, and sauces to suit each family member.

• Thanks 1