Menu

Which job?

barnwife

Which job offer would you accept?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which job offer would you accept?

• Offer A - Medical Receptionist
    • Offer B - Daycare

I have been offered one position and expect another offer shortly. I don't know which one to accept, so clearly I am turning to the internet.

Background: Pre-kids I taught in a variety of public and private schools. I also spent a year as an assistant manager at a retail store. Returning to the out-of-the-home is not something I look forward to doing, but it's most likely the best scenario for our family at this time. I have long said that I don't really want to return to full-time teaching. (I love teaching...I just don't want to deal with all of the other stuff it comes with.)

Job Offer A: A receptionist for a medical office system. It would be only 3 days a week, but still comes with benefits. It would sometimes involve some commuting as they have 4 locations, one of which is about 30 minutes away and I'd be scheduled where needed. OTOH, if we move (under discussion), it'd be to a place we now use as a rental which is less than 2 blocks away from the main location. This is a new position; that is, they are adding this part-time position because they are really busy. Pay rate is not quite as good as what I expect from the other position.

Job Offer B: A Head Teacher in a new daycare. I would be working either 4 or 5 days a week. At first, it is only opening to 6 mo to 3 yo with plans to expand over the summer). It is 10ish minutes away. I expect the hourly rate to be higeher than the other offer.

Clearly, neither of these is a dream job for me. They are more of "I need to get a job. What is available that I most likely won't hate?"

4 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

What are the benefits with Job B? Do you need the benefits?

Yes, Job B comes with benefits, although I think they won't be quite as good as at Job A. 

Having benefits at this time isn't strictly necessary, but may be in the near future. 

• Like 1

I chose A just because I have worked in daycare. A doctors office has shorter hours and you are not likely to be forced to work extra hours when the afternoon staff fail to come to work. Also, daycare work is a much more physical job, and I am starting to get to that point that long hours on my feet are getting more and more stressful on my body.

• Like 11

I would always prefer the medical office over daycare because I could go use the restroom as I need to, eat a quick snack if I feel a gastric attack or dizzy spell is coming, drink coffee as needed from my coffee tumbler.

6months to 3 years old was when I needed my mom’s help the most just so that I could go to the restroom without having to bring my kids with me.

• Like 1

I'd choose the medical office, especially since you stated that the thing about teaching you didn't want is all the extra stuff that goes with it.  I would imagine there will be extra stuff as a head teacher at a daycare, too.   If I had the option (I.e. the financial part isn't the deciding factor), I'd choose to work 3 days a week. 

• Like 1

I would choose receptionist for myself. Because, even though I have had jobs where I have been the manager, and even though I love children, at this point, if I were to go back to work, I would prefer to have a job where I am not in charge, can do my work during regular hours, then go home and leave work mentally, as well as physically. I would also choose three days over more days.

Of course, if finances were the main reason I was returning to work, I would likely pick the job that pays more. As long as I thought it would be a decent fit. I would not take a higher paying job, if I thought it would make me miserable.

• Like 5

100% the office job if you intend to stay in the workforce long-term, and aren't dedicated to staying in childcare. 

While I'll be surprised if it pays less than daycare, I'd still take it for long-term goals. Office work opens more pathways, and daycare comes with its fair share of "other stuff" to deal with. 

You can move into higher-paying jobs more easily (when you're ready) with the office job. Unless you want to open your own daycare, there's only so much additional pay to be had. If you're going to work, you might as well get decent pay for it (eventually). 

And I don't know how old your kids are, but 3 days a week might be a good way to jump back in regardless. 

• Like 4

Well I'll be the lone dissenter, because I vastly prefer little kids to adults, and working in a preschool was the easiest, least stressful, and most fun job I ever had. I had the 2-3 year old class, and that is one of my absolute favorite ages, their perspectives on life and their assumptions about how the world works are just so amazing and out there and they're just so hilarious and affectionate and squishy. I still think about some of those kids and hope they have had amazing lives. I'd literally rather be peed on by a 2 yr old than yelled at by some cranky old lady whose appointment got changed or something. YMMV, lol.

ETA: Yeah I was sick a lot the first winter, but after that I felt like I had super immunity and was impervious to everything, lol.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

Personally, I would choose A.  But if job b is something you thinking about, these are some of the things I would think about-  how is the staff turnover for this place?  Are they strict with the sick policy as some daycares are not? And to me-  how do the parents treat the staff?  I have seen some really nasty behavior from the parents to the staff at a daycare next door to something my kids were in.  And it was tolerated by the owner.  

11 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Personally, I would choose A.  But if job b is something you thinking about, these are some of the things I would think about-  how is the staff turnover for this place?  Are they strict with the sick policy as some daycares are not? And to me-  how do the parents treat the staff?  I have seen some really nasty behavior from the parents to the staff at a daycare next door to something my kids were in.  And it was tolerated by the owner.  

I can't answer any of that because they don't open to kids until March!

Why is being a grown-up so hard? I'd definitely prefer the work of the daycare. But the better benefits at the medical office are enticing. 

I currently teach 2-3 year olds, and I love teaching toddlers.  But Job A does sound like it opens more paths and might be a better fit for you?  I do think toddler teaching is kind of a calling, and while I love teaching in my small church based preschool, I worked in a day care in grad school, and centers vary a ton in quality and in how they treat employees.  

3 hours ago, barnwife said:

I can't answer any of that because they don't open to kids until March!

Why is being a grown-up so hard? I'd definitely prefer the work of the daycare. But the better benefits at the medical office are enticing. 

Based on this, I'd say to reach for what you will genuinely enjoy. It's what makes the hours feel worthwhile. 

The exception would be if you really, really need good benefits that only the medical office gives. I'm thinking of two people close to me who prove both points (joy in the job versus benefits). One worked for years doing data entry for the IRS. It was a boring job but she needed the benefits that extended all year despite being laid off every year when the big spring rush was over. For her, being laid off was ideal as she could spend roughly half the year parenting full time. The other friend is someone who is working as an elementary school substitute teacher. She is having so much fun just hanging out with children that none of the negatives of the job bother her. 

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Well I'll be the lone dissenter, because I vastly prefer little kids to adults, and working in a preschool was the easiest, least stressful, and most fun job I ever had. I had the 2-3 year old class, and that is one of my absolute favorite ages, their perspectives on life and their assumptions about how the world works are just so amazing and out there and they're just so hilarious and affectionate and squishy. I still think about some of those kids and hope they have had amazing lives. I'd literally rather be peed on by a 2 yr old than yelled at by some cranky old lady whose appointment got changed or something. YMMV, lol.

ETA: Yeah I was sick a lot the first winter, but after that I felt like I had super immunity and was impervious to everything, lol.

This would be my reality. I'd way rather spend time with children. 

• Like 1

I picked A because - fewer hours and benefits. But I understand the angst of getting a job when you really, really, really don't want to and picking something you actually want to do makes a huge difference. Whatever you pick it doesn't have to be forever.

• Like 1

I'd choose A because I'd rather go from not working outside of the home for years to just 3 days/week vs. 5 days/week.  That would be an easier transition for me.   Also, if neither job is a dream job, choice A seems like one that you could disengage with more easily at the end of the day.

BUT, do you live where winters are hard and roads are bad?  Because that might change my mind.  I would not want to have to drive 30 minutes each way on icy roads.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’d go with the office job (but I did recently choose office work over teaching). Fewer days at a comparable job that I didn’t  have to bring home with me would definitely push me to Job A. I think the earning potential is greater too. When you work with children wages can be really stagnant. There’s just more money in medicine and the hours are better. You’ll never be stuck waiting for a late parent. 

• Like 2