Menu

Best Thanksgiving cheats

teachermom2834

I posted an angsty post last year after Thanksgiving about how overwhelmed I was cooking for my whole extended family. My family isn’t really willing to do potluck so it’s on me for the main meal for about 18 (and lots of teens and young adults so could be adding extras to that in the future). It would be great if we could potluck but, trust me, that isn’t my family culture and not worth pursuing.

Well I was determined never to cook the whole meal from scratch again. Turns out I don’t have to because we are traveling this year to my 22 yo son’s place and his girlfriend wants to take care of everything and make me queen for the day…lol. 

But for the future- I really am determined not to cook the meal ever again for more than my kids and their significant others. So when I am hosting a big bunch, what are the prepared foods I can buy and put on the most respectable dinner? My siblings are PICKY! They would tell you there is no acceptable store bought prepared mashed potatoes. So I’m not going to let that stop me but I do want to find the best quality I can. 

We have Publix and Walmart as our main grocery chains in town. There is a Trader Joe’s about 30 minutes out in a town I frequent so I can do that. We have a Cracker Barrel that I know sells holiday meals. Not sure what other restaurants do that?

We would be looking for the basics- turkey/ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, rolls, Mac and cheese…veggies aren’t a problem really. My guests do bring desserts so I just need the main dishes.

We really are snobs about doing everything homemade. But it is store/restaurant bought or nothing. That’s where I am at. Lol. So what are your favorites?

You can buy most of the fixings at multiple locations.

and you do what Miss Manners would do when someone expresses their dissatisfaction with the food. . . .  You accept their dissatisfaction, and continue passing the food without giving them any.   Your siblings have a lot of gall - refusing to help, then whining when it's not "good enough" for them.

and your son's gf sounds like a keeper.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 19

I don't have a Publix near me but my southern relatives rave about it. I'm almost certain you can get everything there. 

In another food thread I extolled the virtues of Costco pumpkin pie and scalloped potatoes. Trader Joe's has good gravy. But I bet Publix can fix you up with everything you need.

I hope it works out for you! I get you about families being weird!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

still  in the home-made category, but when I started cooking the turkey in one of those oven bags? ....life-changing!  It makes it really easy, and I don't stuff it, I just rub it with some butter, season it, shove an onion, some parsley, and more butter inside and done!! 

Costco has great pies, and I bet they have other goodies like sides, that would be good, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, marbel said:

I don't have a Publix near me but my southern relatives rave about it. I'm almost certain you can get everything there. 

In another food thread I extolled the virtues of Costco pumpkin pie and scalloped potatoes. Trader Joe's has good gravy. But I bet Publix can fix you up with everything you need.

I hope it works out for you! I get you about families being weird!

Thanks! Yeah families are weird. And these are some learned behaviors from childhood. And I’m definitely partly responsible for spending nearly 50 years trying to please everyone. I don’t really need to cut anyone out of my life or blow up the family holidays or anything - but I do need to find a way to not be so bitter about doing it. I am hoping this is it. 

I am going to warn everyone that if they want homemade they can bring it themselves otherwise to save their complaints for the drive home. That should do the trick…it wouldn’t have ten years ago but I think there is a chance we are all maturing a tiny bit. Haha.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hen said:

still  in the home-made category, but when I started cooking the turkey in one of those oven bags? ....life-changing!  It makes it really easy, and I don't stuff it, I just rub it with some butter, season it, shove an onion, some parsley, and more butter inside and done!! 

Costco has great pies, and I bet they have other goodies like sides, that would be good, too. 

I was at Costco a couple days ago.  I haven't tried most of the items. (we've always done "potluck".)
Pecan, apple, and pumpkin pies.  They are huge.  I did see mashed potatoes.  of course they have rolls.  and there's stuff for appetizers.

• Thanks 1

Not just for Thanksgiving, but I always keep a bag of Sister Schubert's yeast rolls in the freezer. We don't eat a lot of them, but sometimes I need a few to round out a meal for DH and DS, and they're really good. Spread a little butter on top and pop in the oven (I use the toaster oven) for 5-10 minutes and they're ready. They also come in Parker House style.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On another note, we are simplifying over here.   DH likes to smoke the turkey and he likes making the mashed potatoes.  We buy frozen rolls, canned corn, and my son loves making the green bean casserole.   I will throw some bagged stuffing together but we might skip the sweet potatoes this year (or opt for baked sweet potatoes) and then store bought pies.   That's it.

8 minutes ago, Eos said:

Has he proposed?  

Surely it is imminent. This couple is my spontaneous wild card couple of my family. I did ask if I should pack something nice in case they swoop us off to the courthouse while we are in town. The gf laughed and said no but then said “yeah that is totally something we would do.” 

I will say after all my own MIL issues and all the things I’ve read on here over the years it is very nice to be loved!

• Like 11

There is a store bought mashed potatoes my picky kid will eat.  I'm not even sure of the name, but it comes in a black tub, right next to the pulled pork or chicken by the same company.  They keep it next to the hams here.

The key, though, is to not try to replicate things that you'd get at home, or to just tweak it from what you would get every day.

Instead of mashed potatoes, try Trader Joe's frozen scalloped potatoes.

Instead of pumpkin pie, try a silky pumpkin cheesecake and an apple pie.

No green bean casserole, throw fresh beans on a cookie sheet, drizzle in oil/salt/garlic, and let them roast.

Always buy the rolls so there's no expectation. LOL

Grab the diced celery & onions from the produce department and saute before adding to a box of Stovetop, using chicken broth for it.

I really, really like our homemade cranberry sauce so I'm not much help here.  Same with the mac and cheese, but both can be doctored a little bit.  If you get whole berry sauce and heat it up, a little balsamic gives it a depth of flavor and a zest of orange brightens it up.  I can get my kid to eat boxed/frozen mac n cheese if I add some real cheese to it.  Something  like cheddar or jack for a quick sauce or a few shavings of a smoky gouda.  Throw some bread crumbs and more cheese on top and boom, almost homemade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If your people are equally open to ham as to turkey, I'd get a precooked ham and just reheat. No worries about when it's done. If you do go with turkey--I've always served gravy that came in a jar.

And store-bought rolls make sense--maybe warm them the last few minutes with the ham.

Beyond looking at the grocery stores, you might see if a restaurant near you is offering the mac and cheese or other sides for pick-up the day before.

I would probably make *only* the mashed potatoes from scratch, as they're going to be the hardest to replace. One pot to wash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I buy store brand mashed potatoes and add some cream cheese and butter and stir them up a lot and then throw them in a crockpot. 

I also buy Stouffers frozen fried apples, add a can or two of apple pie filling, add some cranberries to it and top it with a an oatmeal topping (brown sugar, butter and oatmeal) to make a side dish. 

For the last big event I had, I used  the catering pans with stereo. Every dish was made ahead of time and in foil  pans. I  heated them the day of in the oven  and then put them in the catering  pans.  So easy - no clean up day of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, lmrich said:

For the last big event I had, I used  the catering pans with stereo. Every dish was made ahead of time and in foil  pans. I  heated them the day of in the oven  and then put them in the catering  pans.  So easy - no clean up day of. 

I have thought of this. If I could heat things up and keep them warm out on a buffet table (I have room for this set up) it would ease all of the last minute jockeying of things in and out of the oven and heating up more things than I have burners for etc. If it worked the way I am envisioning I could get set up and then enjoy my day and visit- but I'm not actually a caterer so I'm not sure it would work the way I think it would. But I have thought about this as an option. 

I don't mind cooking or hosting- I just am admitting defeat that it is too much for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have thought of this. If I could heat things up and keep them warm out on a buffet table (I have room for this set up) it would ease all of the last minute jockeying of things in and out of the oven and heating up more things than I have burners for etc. If it worked the way I am envisioning I could get set up and then enjoy my day and visit- but I'm not actually a caterer so I'm not sure it would work the way I think it would. But I have thought about this as an option. 

I don't mind cooking or hosting- I just am admitting defeat that it is too much for me. 

Is it possible to swap out hot things for cold things? Rather than green beans serve a veggie tray and garden salad. Serve cold pies like cheesecakes/frozen chocolate pie/ skip pie in favor of cupcakes.

Skip stuffing/dressing. too many carbs on most thanksgiving tables anyhow.

How many crock pots do you have? Put mashed potatoes in one, corn in the other. Then your oven only will have to heat the meat and rolls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

This is my favorite part of the meal!  

2 hours ago, 73349 said:

If your people are equally open to ham as to turkey, I'd get a precooked ham and just reheat. No worries about when it's done. If you do go with turkey--I've always served gravy that came in a jar.

And store-bought rolls make sense--maybe warm them the last few minutes with the ham.

Beyond looking at the grocery stores, you might see if a restaurant near you is offering the mac and cheese or other sides for pick-up the day before.

I would probably make *only* the mashed potatoes from scratch, as they're going to be the hardest to replace. One pot to wash.

This is very close to what we do.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Is it possible to swap out hot things for cold things? Rather than green beans serve a veggie tray and garden salad. Serve cold pies like cheesecakes/frozen chocolate pie/ skip pie in favor of cupcakes.

How many crock pots do you have? Put mashed potatoes in one, corn in the other. Then your oven only will have to heat the meat and rolls. 

LOL yes I can do these things. But there will be a disclaimer sent out in advance-

WARNING: You will see potatoes in a crock pot. You may choose to not eat them. You may not complain. You are free to bring your own mashed potatoes or to prepare them for your own family another day. You may not make any comment about mashed potatoes in a crock pot. 

I've tried alot of things over the years and people let me know they were not acceptable. My family just is badly behaved. But I am ready to give up seeking everyone's approval and lettting the chips fall. Some people will still grumble but I think they will wait and do it behind my back and that is ok. I will also tell them ahead of time I don't want any complaints and I think that will do the job. 

Like I said- bad manners and family patterns dating back to childhood and lots of tiptoeing around certain people to not upset them. But I'm feeling more confident to just do what I need to do to have peace about it. It's taken a long time but I'm pretty comfortable changing it up. I do have to warn people though. LOL. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Not just for Thanksgiving, but I always keep a bag of Sister Schubert's yeast rolls in the freezer. We don't eat a lot of them, but sometimes I need a few to round out a meal for DH and DS, and they're really good. Spread a little butter on top and pop in the oven (I use the toaster oven) for 5-10 minutes and they're ready. They also come in Parker House style.

We like those. I bought a bag for Thanksgiving, and then realized I had nothing to go with last night’s soup…so that bag was opened. 🫣 Now I have to get another for Thanksgiving. 

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

There is a store bought mashed potatoes my picky kid will eat.  I'm not even sure of the name, but it comes in a black tub, right next to the pulled pork or chicken by the same company.  They keep it next to the hams here.

I never make homemade mashed potatoes anymore. We buy the Bob Evans brand and heat it in the microwave. It’s not too shabby. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, teachermom2834 said:

Obviously this is a big deal because I am not even going to be in town this year- I am bracing myself for next year. LOL.

Lol, well I’m sure this thread is  giving others some ideas! I’m cooking for my immediate family + my parents only, and I’m open to shortcuts, even just for that small crowd!

• Like 4

I love your attitude here! Starting the thread this year also gives you plenty of time to try out suggestions. Oo! Maybe you could get frozen stuff on sale this year. You are already planning to send out a warning, right? Just kidding. Be sure you still home-cook at least one delicious thing so that the smell permeates the festivities.

• Like 2

Just now, alisoncooks said:

Lol, well I’m sure this thread is  giving others some ideas! I’m cooking for my immediate family + my parents only, and I’m open to shortcuts, even just for that small crowd!

I want to try some of the cheats over the next year 🙂 Because truth be told, I'm in this picky family and I'm a snob about food too! I'm just at the point that I'll cook the homemade real deal for my nuclear family another day and give up on mass producing it. LOL. None of these things are hard for me -it's the quantity I can't do. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, teachermom2834 said:

None of these things are hard for me -it's the quantity I can't do. 

Same, but in my case it’s selection-quantity vs oven space. Like…we couldn’t narrow down side items, so we’re doing them all! And now I’m trying to figure out which 4 things will fit in the oven together on Thursday and what others can be made in advance or creatively (like potatoes in the crock pot). That’s what I get for asking the family for input on what we *must* make…

• Like 1

My super-picky won't eat real mashed potatoes dsil likes the Idahoan instant mashed potatoes.  Which is fine with 2dd, as that's less work for her. 

We've always done real mashed potatoes.  I've had the Idahoan, they're not bad.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I posted an angsty post last year after Thanksgiving about how overwhelmed I was cooking for my whole extended family. My family isn’t really willing to do potluck so it’s on me for the main meal for about 18 (and lots of teens and young adults so could be adding extras to that in the future). It would be great if we could potluck but, trust me, that isn’t my family culture and not worth pursuing.

Well I was determined never to cook the whole meal from scratch again. Turns out I don’t have to because we are traveling this year to my 22 yo son’s place and his girlfriend wants to take care of everything and make me queen for the day…lol. 

But for the future- I really am determined not to cook the meal ever again for more than my kids and their significant others. So when I am hosting a big bunch, what are the prepared foods I can buy and put on the most respectable dinner? My siblings are PICKY! They would tell you there is no acceptable store bought prepared mashed potatoes. So I’m not going to let that stop me but I do want to find the best quality I can. 

We have Publix and Walmart as our main grocery chains in town. There is a Trader Joe’s about 30 minutes out in a town I frequent so I can do that. We have a Cracker Barrel that I know sells holiday meals. Not sure what other restaurants do that?

We would be looking for the basics- turkey/ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, rolls, Mac and cheese…veggies aren’t a problem really. My guests do bring desserts so I just need the main dishes.

We really are snobs about doing everything homemade. But it is store/restaurant bought or nothing. That’s where I am at. Lol. So what are your favorites?

This is not a group of people I would ever host again. They are taking advantage of you and entirely unreasonable. So someone else hosts it and can take the misery, and you can offer to bring a dish or two to pass, or they don't have Thanksgiving with you, and your family can have a quiet holiday at home. I would absolutely not host them.

If I were doing an "I am not cooking Thanksgiving" at home and lived near a Boston Market or Bob Evans, I would simply purchase their holiday meal, and then makes desserts. The quality is decent enough if one is wanting relief from the burden.

Funny about mashed potatoes. I know my people won’t touch the instant type. I would-I just think of it as something different- not mashed potatoes. But I tried to feed them to my kids a couple times and there was no way. But I know a lot of people who won’t eat real mashed potatoes and will only eat the instant type. 

I’m definitely not trying to serve instant mashed potatoes or anything like that. That would be a bridge way too far. More like something crazy like a mashed potato casserole- scandalous but probably doesn’t get me kicked out of the family. I did it once 20 years ago or so and was told never to do that again. But I’m a bold middle aged woman now so no telling what I pull. 

• Like 3

There is this weird idea my mom has about Dh getting his favorite side served to him by me at our at home ……no extended family …….dinner. Potato salad. Every year, she asks if I made it for him. One year I said no. She tried to make me feel guilty that I didn’t make him potato salad. Poor Dh. He didn’t get his potato salad. Even though I have explained that I have to be selective about how many sides and how much chopping because standing still with my head forward for too long chopping stuff ends with my back hurting. 
So…..we are lucky to have great BBQ places here (we live in NC) and they have fantastic slaw and potato salad. Homemade. Dh happily will go and get tubs of these for himself and the boys a day ahead. Best Thanksgiving cheat ever. Dh gets his favorite side and it also solves the weird potato salad kerfuffle. When she asks did Dh get his potato salad, I can just say “Yes. He did.”

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Funny about mashed potatoes. I know my people won’t touch the instant type. I would-I just think of it as something different- not mashed potatoes. But I tried to feed them to my kids a couple times and there was no way. But I know a lot of people who won’t eat real mashed potatoes and will only eat the instant type. 

I’m definitely not trying to serve instant mashed potatoes or anything like that. That would be a bridge way too far. More like something crazy like a mashed potato casserole- scandalous but probably doesn’t get me kicked out of the family. I did it once 20 years ago or so and was told never to do that again. But I’m a bold middle aged woman now so no telling what I pull. 

Isn't there a tater tot casserole that gets shared here or a pile of french fries. Just think of all the things you could do. By next year you will cheerfully up to no good and enjoying it.

• Haha 4

Just now, Starr said:

Isn't there a tater tot casserole that gets shared here or a pile of french fries. Just think of all the things you could do. By next year you will cheerfully up to no good and enjoying it.

Ha. I have a long way to go to tater tots. If I transfer mashed potatoes to a crock pot a couple hours before dinner I am going to have some ‘splaining to do! Haha. 

Seriously am I the only one with a family like this?

• Like 1

Do they expect a sit down meal with good china? Just say no.  

Buffet is the way to go! 

For my dad's 90th birthday, I served 22 people:

BBQ (from Costco) - I heated it up in the microwave first - you could have a roasted turkey, slice  it  and then heat it up on the stove in chicken stock then put it in a foil pan, sealed up tight and then put on the stereo thing

Green beans - frozen - heated up on the stove in a big pan with olive oil, garlic, and salt and then transfered to the aluminum pan and on top of the sterno 

Mac and cheese - all in one crockpot recipe 

Mashed  potatoes - (from Costco) heated in microwave  -  transferred  to the foil  pan, added cream cheese and sour  cream and put on sterno

Corn casserole  - I made this  with creamed corn and jiffy mix  - super easy, popped it  in the oven the morning of and put on the sterno 

Fried Apples - combined frozen (microwaved) with canned -  popped in the oven and then on top of the sterno 

Rolls - in a basket 

Salad - mixed greens and salad topper  with cranberries and candied walnuts (you can add blue  cheese  or  feta cheese) and dressed with an apple /balsamic dressing  

(for Thanksgiving I would add dressing and gravy) 

I decorated the table with candles and   chargers (and other stuff for the party) the night before. I bought higher end plastic plates and silverware. I was able to enjoy seeing my cousins and visiting. My husband and kids cleaned up - put the foil  back on the pans and put them in  the fridge,  blew out the sterno, wiped the counters down and threw out the trash. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First, I think that you shouldn't have to put up with this.

But since you do, and mashed potatoes are an issue in particular, do you know that you can make them a week (or more) ahead, then freeze and reheat? So the potatoes in the crock pot can be homemade AND easy on Thanksgiving Day?

Not saying that you should do this instead of buying them premade.

• Like 2

Just now, Storygirl said:

First, I think that you shouldn't have to put up with this.

But since you do, and mashed potatoes are an issue in particular, do you know that you can make them a week (or more) ahead, then freeze and reheat? So the potatoes in the crock pot can be homemade AND easy on Thanksgiving Day?

Not saying that you should do this instead of buying them premade.

I’ll do one of these. I will probably try a few things out over the next year and see what I actually think is easiest for me and my nuclear family will enjoy the most. 

I agree I shouldn’t have to put up with this. It is silly but I have certainly enabled it for a long time. I’m really not willing to end all family gatherings over it though. My family has bad manners and acts like they did when they were kids when they are together. But I’m not going to blow up the family over it and I’m not going to make it so my aging father never has his family together again. I’m just going to make it so I can do it without being resentful. 

• Like 5

Trader Joe’s frozen mashed potatoes. There is no reason for them to be as delicious as they are, but I’ll never bother making homemade again for any reason. I just bought 3 bags this morning to last us through winter 🙂 

Their scalloped potatoes are also really good and can be frozen. I bought a few of those too, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Blue said:

Ha! How about skip turkey?? 😂😂😂 I just can’t do it. Dh knows he can do one if he wants.

Skip anything but the stuffing!  Everything but the stuffing!  And please don’t put sausage in the stuffing. 😁 If you must make a second dish, make mashed potatoes.  Turkey is not very good, anyway.  Except for the crispy skin.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I prefer real mashed potatoes but the Idahoan homestyle instant potatoes have been a close second that is easy and quick to prepare for me while I'm waiting for my gums to heal so I can be fitted for dentures. I keep the little cups of them around so I can make a quick dinner for me when everyone else is having something I can't gum to death. Pro tip: Don't microwave the little cups, just don't, it's gross lol. Do the add boiling water to the cup method. Much easier and they come out much better.

I make Stover's stuffing in the crockpot on Thanksgiving. Put the butter and water in there on high until it boils (takes an hour or two depending on how hot your crock pot is) then mix as usual. Put the lid back on and set it to "keep warm" or low.

Pies and rolls are cooked the day before. Anyone who dares enter the kitchen while I'm cooking is put to work. A veggies and dip tray is put out for nibbling before dinner. If you don't like what I cooked or how I cooked it, you are welcome to make it yourself next year. Seriously. My dad doesn't like oven roasted turkey, he always made grilled rotisserie turkey when I was a kid. So when he decided to come out to my house for Thanksgiving one year, I put him to work making the turkey the way he wanted it. One less thing for me to worry about. He griped about it a little but in the end everyone was happy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I've had the Idahoan, they're not bad.

12 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

I prefer real mashed potatoes but the Idahoan homestyle instant potatoes have been a close second that is easy and quick to prepare for me

I keep packets of the Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes on hand. They're pretty good in a pinch, and I use them for thickening soups sometimes. We had an extended family Thanksgiving last year and the person who made the mashed potatoes is generally a very good cook, but those were pretty nasty. Like I couldn't figure out how you could mess up mashed potatoes like that. The Idahoan instant ones would have been a massive improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

I keep packets of the Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes on hand. They're pretty good in a pinch, and I use them for thickening soups sometimes. We had an extended family Thanksgiving last year and the person who made the mashed potatoes is generally a very good cook, but those were pretty nasty. Like I couldn't figure out how you could mess up mashed potatoes like that. The Idahoan instant ones would have been a massive improvement.

I’m a pretty good cook (I think!) and I find all the thanksgiving dishes pretty basic but in the madness of the day I never feel like I get everything just right. So even though I can make everything well I never really feel like I knock it out of the park because it’s just too much for me. Which brings me back to store bought is fine 🙂

• Like 2

One year, I had everyone say what their favorite item was and we crossed everything else off the list. Maybe if there is overlap this could help? We all ate way too much of our favorites, but no one felt obligated to eat pearl onions or green bean casserole anymore. 

Also, have you looked into one of those turkey cookers? My dad found it made cooking the turkey so much easier and hands off, while freeing up the oven for other things.

Stuffing is one of our favorite things. We have a batch in the oven and a batch in the crock pot every year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Actually this is going to be my proposal for next year:

1) Someone else hosts. I am happy to travel. (One party is unwilling to host or travel to the other further party so this is a no go but I need to go on the record that I am willing to let someone else host).

2) We eat in a restaurant and have dessert at my house.

3) We have sandwiches  /dessert /leftovers at my home on Friday or Saturday.

4) I host with the full meal from somewhere like Cracker Barrel. 

5) I host and provide sides (store bought acceptable) while siblings provide meat (store bought acceptable) or vice versa. My siblings do already provide dessert in the status quo and I would expect them to keep that not hand it back to me as they take on something else. 

All will be done with disposables (except silverware because I don’t like plastic silverware and it is my house and I can be picky) and no one is allowed to complain until they are on their way home.

And honestly all of that can be done by me with a cheerful heart. Any of those options are fine and wouldn’t leave me feeling beaten down. I have a year to work up my proposal. I’ll let you know how it goes. If I chicken out I will just go on vacation again. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Her rolls are so good! The ones in the bag are my preference because I like the shape better. But they smell-taste like homemade. I like to make rolls, so I make my own, but throughout the year I occasionally buy a bag and keep in the freezer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Seriously am I the only one with a family like this?

No, you are not. I completely understand your situation and have been in it myself. Sometimes it just works out that way, and in my case, I preferred to take one for the team rather than cause arguments/hard feelings. Because in the end, those crazy annoying people are still my family and they won't always be around. So I would have a tough couple of days leading up to Thanksgiving, and when it was over, I'd be glad of that, but also glad I did it.  I'm also glad I didn't have strangers on the internet tell me I should walk away from family celebrations like this. Now, I live too far away from everyone and I miss those annoying gatherings. 

I hope you are able to enjoy  your Thanksgiving off this year, and when next year rolls around, I hope you get buy-in from relatives for fresh ideas, and you look forward to the holiday with happy anticipation and not dread!  

💗

Edited by marbel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Another kind of funny thing about all of this that I am not sure anyone has noticed is that my nieces (and my own kids) are now as old as I was when I started this thing. I’ve been at this a long time. Time to pass the torch, people! Haha.

So it isn’t just my sibs that could be pitching it, it is the entire next generation! I was hosting the full meal in my twenties. My oldest niece just turned 26. Lol. No wonder I look around and think what the heck is going on? 

Everyone is going to be like “wow! Aunt Teachermom is having a mid life crisis! She won’t even make mashed potatoes anymore!” Lol.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1