Menu

Best Thanksgiving cheats

teachermom2834

57 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I keep packets of the Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes on hand. They're pretty good in a pinch, and I use them for thickening soups sometimes. We had an extended family Thanksgiving last year and the person who made the mashed potatoes is generally a very good cook, but those were pretty nasty. Like I couldn't figure out how you could mess up mashed potatoes like that. The Idahoan instant ones would have been a massive improvement.

You add water bc you dont have milk or cream, you don’t season and you don’t add butter “so people can add their own at the table”

and that is how you mess up mashed potatoes!

A schoolmate taught me this

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

Another kind of funny thing about all of this that I am not sure anyone has noticed is that my nieces (and my own kids) are now as old as I was when I started this thing. I’ve been at this a long time. Time to pass the torch, people! Haha.

So it isn’t just my sibs that could be pitching it, it is the entire next generation! I was hosting the full meal in my twenties. My oldest niece just turned 26. Lol. No wonder I look around and think what the heck is going on? 

Everyone is going to be like “wow! Aunt Teachermom is having a mid life crisis! She won’t even make mashed potatoes anymore!” Lol.

Have you asked the nieces and nephews to pitch in? They might be more sympathetic than your siblings. My own dd will come early and help peel potatoes and such. Maybe one of your nieces would love to have some special "auntie" time? Maybe you can plead the "I'm not as young as I used to be" card.

I know my adult daughters would absolutely come early to help an auntie with prep. Sometimes it has never occurred to younger generations that they are capable of and should be stepping up, especially if someone like Auntie TeacherMom2834 is SO good at it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Have you asked the nieces and nephews to pitch in? They might be more sympathetic than your siblings. My own dd will come early and help peel potatoes and such. Maybe one of your nieces would love to have some special "auntie" time? Maybe you can plead the "I'm not as young as I used to be" card.

I know my adult daughters would absolutely come early to help an auntie with prep. Sometimes it has never occurred to younger generations that they are capable of and should be stepping up, especially if someone like Auntie TeacherMom2834 is SO good at it.

You know, it’s just weird. 

Somehow this has just become the way it is. I do have one of the bunch that will help but as far as actually coming early and offering substantial assistance - they all travel with their parents so that just isn’t practical. 

People are just really touchy and defensive. Like if I asked someone to run the trash out, depending on who I asked it would get a response from their parent like “you know they worked all week and this is their first day off” or “so and so hasn’t done anything”. 

Somehow things have just gotten really dysfunctional and it isn’t a normal situation. For the most part it just isn’t worth hashing things out. 

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

You know, it’s just weird. 

Somehow this has just become the way it is. I do have one of the bunch that will help but as far as actually coming early and offering substantial assistance - they all travel with their parents so that just isn’t practical. 

People are just really touchy and defensive. Like if I asked someone to run the trash out, depending on who I asked it would get a response from their parent like “you know they worked all week and this is their first day off” or “so and so hasn’t done anything”. 

Somehow things have just gotten really dysfunctional and it isn’t a normal situation. For the most part it just isn’t worth hashing things out. 

oof. 

My grown kids can answer for themselves. But they'd be glad to take out trash or do anything to help someone who was serving them. That is weird. 

You need a family meeting like this gal. (Or not, You can just laugh at her stuff to lighten the mood)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj8t1DDpWaa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkJsBmYp91B/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkrOhgXszA7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Haha 5

I have no problem admitting that we have bought Thanksgiving from Whole Foods and will do so for the foreseeable future.  Not only that, but my kid is cooking it!

I think the turkey is "pre-cooked"?  Something ... "we" put it in a bag and bake it, but it's not as involved as what my folks do.  It tastes just as good though!  Traditions are for people who enjoy traditions.  I've never enjoyed cooking traditions and am not likely to start now.

I don't know what I did in a past life to deserve a kid who both enjoys and excels at cooking.  She sure didn't get it from me.  😛

I will happily do all of the cleaning, which most people seem to hate more than the cooking.  Win-win.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4

I am not going to change my family. They are weird. There is a lot of baggage. I have contributed to making this monster. 

But I can change things up on my end so that I can have peace about it. Asking people to do stuff and having a confrontation isn’t really worth it at all. We aren’t a family that can have an exchange and move on. If I ask a sibling’s kid to run out the garbage and a sibling takes it the wrong way that is going to be a thing. For a good long time. Not worth it. 

I have asked for help in the past-and been told no. They all have reasons they can’t/shouldn’t have to/it’s easiest for teachermom. They aren’t going to change. They aren’t open to rational discussion. But I can own my part of it and serve whatever I want however I want! I don’t need to keep meeting demands and playing the martyr. 

Some people just aren’t going to change and I can either have them over or not. It’s my choice and I still choose to have them over. I’m just going to do it in a way I can roll my eyes at their silliness and not feel beaten up by it. 

Years ago…like 15 years ago…I asked my brother to contribute to the meal (he has a family of five). He told me his presence is his contribution. And he was serious! Now…if I can serve store bought mashed potatoes on paper plates I really and truly can find that hilarious. Because it is hilarious. Because he is a normal human being in other settings- but my parents really spoiled him and he says stuff like that and it is truly hysterical. IF I am generally in a good mood. So I really have to change things up so I can appreciate the crazy stuff like that and just laugh.

And he has come a long way. He does bring some stuff now and I don’t think he would say that now…so there is progress. But that is what I have been up against! 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I am not going to change my family. They are weird. There is a lot of baggage. I have contributed to making this monster. 

But I can change things up on my end so that I can have peace about it. Asking people to do stuff and having a confrontation isn’t really worth it at all. We aren’t a family that can have an exchange and move on. If I ask a sibling’s kid to run out the garbage and a sibling takes it the wrong way that is going to be a thing. For a good long time. Not worth it. 

I have asked for help in the past-and been told no. They all have reasons they can’t/shouldn’t have to/it’s easiest for teachermom. They aren’t going to change. They aren’t open to rational discussion. But I can own my part of it and serve whatever I want however I want! I don’t need to keep meeting demands and playing the martyr. 

Some people just aren’t going to change and I can either have them over or not. It’s my choice and I still choose to have them over. I’m just going to do it in a way I can roll my eyes at their silliness and not feel beaten up by it. 

Years ago…like 15 years ago…I asked my brother to contribute to the meal (he has a family of five). He told me his presence is his contribution. And he was serious! Now…if I can serve store bought mashed potatoes on paper plates I really and truly can find that hilarious. Because it is hilarious. Because he is a normal human being in other settings- but my parents really spoiled him and he says stuff like that and it is truly hysterical. IF I am generally in a good mood. So I really have to change things up so I can appreciate the crazy stuff like that and just laugh.

And he has come a long way. He does bring some stuff now and I don’t think he would say that now…so there is progress. But that is what I have been up against! 

oh gosh.

This sounds like a sit com. One of those things that are hilarious if you're not the one living it.

Any more stories like that? I'd write it into a skit. 

I totally wrote 2 skits based on holiday interactions with my MIL. They are HILARIOUS!

• Haha 5

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

oh gosh.

This sounds like a sit com. One of those things that are hilarious if you're not the one living it.

Any more stories like that? I'd write it into a skit. 

I totally wrote 2 skits based on holiday interactions with my MIL. They are HILARIOUS!

Well he did also say that if it was too much trouble to feed his family they would come and just watch us eat. I guess I should have called his bluff on that one 😂 

The next year he agreed to bring turkey. For himself. 

I suggested bringing a couple 12 packs of whatever drinks his family likes. I figured that was easy, portable, and would save me some time, money, storage. He responded that I was ridiculous to think he could drive two hours with a twelve pack in his lap. 

Definitely could write a skit about trying to ask someone to bring something…anything. 

So yeah at some point I did say just forget it I’ll provide everything just bring dessert. 

But honestly I am pretty sure if I ask him to bring a meat next year he will. He has made some progress at 50 years old 😂

But a lot of history has gone into this current situation over 25 years in the making.

• Like 1

I have never cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We only ever order a Greenberg Turkey. It is so incredibly perfect every time. 

www.gobblegobble.com

Even when my mom has cooked a turkey (she is an excellent cook), everyone still wants and misses the Greenberg Turkey. You can order pretty close to the holiday as well which is nice when people will not commit to showing up. It refreezes, too. Turkey paté is divine. Can thaw on countertop so doesn't take of fridge space.

Anyhow, a quickie for the turkey/protein.

ETA. I should add that this is a smoked turkey that does not require any oven time. Best served room temp.

Edited by aggie96
  • Thanks 1

“Everyone who brings a dish is invited.” You’d think after a year of making their own turkey they’d realize this is a great deal. You can only be picky AND non-contributing if you’re a child or people enable you. 

Will they blink first? “I’m serving boxes potatoes au gratin unless someone wants to be a dinner-saving hero and bring Real mashed potatoes.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, aggie96 said:

I have never cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We only ever order a Greenberg Turkey. It is so incredibly perfect every time. 

www.gobblegobble.com

Even when my mom has cooked a turkey (she is an excellent cook), everyone still wants and misses the Greenberg Turkey. You can order pretty close to the holiday as well which is nice when people will not commit to showing up. It refreezes, too. Turkey paté is divine. Can thaw on countertop so doesn't take of fridge space.

Anyhow, a quickie for the turkey/protein.

ETA. I should add that this is a smoked turkey that does not require any oven time. Best served room temp.

We only get a Riverbrook Lake Farms Heritage turkey 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yeah stuffing is the one thing I don’t see giving up my homemade. In fact this Thanksgiving, while I will be Queen for the day, I am still making my stuffing. 😂

But I wouldn’t complain about stuffing at anyone else’s house! I would just have some waiting for myself at home!

a few years ago I started making Pioneer woman's stuffing...and it was a religious experience for me. I make it every year, for me.  It would be good cooked ahead and reheated, though.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hen said:

a few years ago I started making Pioneer woman's stuffing...and it was a religious experience for me. I make it every year, for me.  It would be good cooked ahead and reheated, though.  

This is the one I make too. The first year my mom insisted on making her own stove top because she didn’t trust me to make homemade (maybe my siblings come by this honestly. Ha) But the pioneer woman stuffing was able to replace the stove top…and that is the one I making this year even though I have been relieved of cooking duties (though my son’s gf did ask if there was anything I wanted to make -so I’m not crashing her menu). 

• Like 1

Okay, your family sounds like a lot. Like, just a lot.

And I'm saying this in the nicest possible way, but next year - order Chinese the day before, heat it up the day of. If your family makes a face at having egg rolls for Thanksgiving, smile and tell them that they're welcome to bring Mexican next year.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Hen said:

cooking the turkey in one of those oven bags? ....life-changing!  It makes it really easy, and I don't stuff it,

Yep. I grew up on oven bag turkey. My grandmother was an amazing cook, but my dad votes Team Oven Bag every time even after growing up on hers. 

11 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

The key, though, is to not try to replicate things that you'd get at home, or to just tweak it from what you would get every day.

Yes, and I like the idea someone said about stating what you are willing to do and then adding an "unless someone wants to save the day and do homemade xyz." It's a heads-up and also states that you are willing to pass the torch. Just make clear what kind of fridge and oven space you will or won't have.

Also, for the rest of the audience--consider a split oven rack if you can get one. My mom's oven has one, and it lets you put something large on one side and still have a partial second rack. It's wonderful.

8 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I have thought of this. If I could heat things up and keep them warm out on a buffet table (I have room for this set up) it would ease all of the last minute jockeying of things in and out of the oven and heating up more things than I have burners for etc. If it worked the way I am envisioning I could get set up and then enjoy my day and visit- but I'm not actually a caterer so I'm not sure it would work the way I think it would. But I have thought about this as an option. 

This time of year, all kinds of food warming things for a buffet show up in the stores, so you might not even need to use catering level stuff. Also, I've recently seen (Amazon?) some crockpot liners (silicone?) that you slip inside the crock pot to subdivide it. 

8 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Is it possible to swap out hot things for cold things? 

Cold veggie trays or appetizers are always a good way to stretch things!

But I am ready to give up seeking everyone's approval and lettting the chips fall. Some people will still grumble but I think they will wait and do it behind my back and that is ok. I will also tell them ahead of time I don't want any complaints and I think that will do the job.  

You go, girl!

I want to try some of the cheats over the next year 🙂 Because truth be told, I'm in this picky family and I'm a snob about food too! I'm just at the point that I'll cook the homemade real deal for my nuclear family another day and give up on mass producing it. LOL. None of these things are hard for me -it's the quantity I can't do

Sometimes our family goes for variety over quantity--they are perfectly happy to have a big variety and put just a smidge of everything on their plates. I don't know if that helps with your family. Obviously some things are done in quantity (potatoes), but not all of the sides are huge.

7 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Seriously am I the only one with a family like this?

Yes and no. Yours is a level above, but my family certainly has its own issues. I cannot abide to be around my SIL when there is stuff to be done. She can't stand to not be in control. She'll literally take a job OUT OF MY HANDS while I am doing it no matter how big or small even when I am doing it just fine. If I ever hosted again (miracle if they'd come that far), she'll be banned from my kitchen for the duration unless she is willing to stick to a schedule that rotates people into and out of the kitchen who are okay working with her. That will go over like a lead balloon. It's a problem that someone else in the family created inadvertently, and it's not worth WWIII unless it happens in my territory. It took me a LONG time to be okay with slouching when I am at my mom's. I want to be able to help my mom in the kitchen, but SIL subverts all efforts to take turns so that I can contribute. My mom is okay with me slouching vs. having it out. Okay then.

We have other family that is funny about hosting, but everyone contributes if they don't host. My parents host far more than they want to, but they are trying to change that.

6 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

One year, I had everyone say what their favorite item was and we crossed everything else off the list.

Also, have you looked into one of those turkey cookers? My dad found it made cooking the turkey so much easier and hands off, while freeing up the oven for other things.

I agree, though I haven't personally tried the turkey cooker for turkey (we bought one when our oven broke to tide us over until Black Friday sales). I think we've used it for a ham though!

3 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I suggested bringing a couple 12 packs of whatever drinks his family likes. I figured that was easy, portable, and would save me some time, money, storage. He responded that I was ridiculous to think he could drive two hours with a twelve pack in his lap. 

I remember that from another year!!! You poor thing!

Other shortcuts because I would find purchased items stressful for other reasons, lol!!!
--reheat premade casseroles/sides (microwave, crockpot, etc.) and/or do cold sides (my family eats deviled eggs, veggies, fruit, or salads any time of the year)
--peel the potatoes ahead and put them in cold water in the fridge, then cook at the last minute (I do not find mashed potatoes onerous, so YMMV)
--use the great outdoors for a fridge if you can, or fill up the coolers with ice
--simplify drink menu
--No baked goods made the day of unless it's something very quick that can go in while the turkey is being sliced, etc.
--paper products instead of washed items
--slice and dice everything ahead of time that can be done early; onions, garlic, veggies, etc.
--maybe do an appetizer/grazing table instead of a spread, and major on items that are yummy cold or in crock pot; you can still do one or two favorites that round it out into a meal
I hope you can find something that works for you! My shortcuts are as much for those listening in for tips as for you if you choose to go the route of buying your own stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations re the awesome girlfriend!  Fingers crossed re announcement.

Sorry re kvetching relatives! They don't deserve you, yet you love them, so lower your standards a smidge and enjoy their company.  Three stress reduction strategies:

Outsource: I don't know from Publix; they may well have everything.  Costco pies are huge and delicious.  Costco-crates of prewashed mixed salad greens, grape tomatoes, and feta = salad. Frozen crescent rolls = delicious.  Trader Joes has fab trays of appetizers ready to heat up; or just do Costco vats of hummous, baby carrots, and celery sticks and call it good.

Cook in advance: There are great sweet potato recipes that can/should be made a day or two ahead.  IMO mashed potatoes can be done ahead as well if you mix in cream cheese and a bit of sour cream rather than butter or heavy cream (strong opinions vary on this subject; that is mine LOL).  Banana & pumpkin bread can be made well ahead and frozen.  Green beans or grilled mixed vegs can be made in the morning and served room temp.  And, essentially: STUFFING CAN BE MADE IN ADVANCE, on the STOVETOP. This whole stuffing-inside-a-turkey, so the turkey takes six times longer to cook and thus suffers greater-than-usual dry-in-some-places, still-bloody-in-others turkey trouble, is FAKE NEWS. Just cook the stuffing on the stove in advance, from one of those Pepperidge Farm packages that take like 10 minutes, and MIX IN all those lovely turkey drippings after the fact.

Self-serve:  I do a huge thermos of hot cider, a huge thermos of decaf coffee, and a huge thermos of hot water. They keep for hours.  I set up a beverage station with that along with cold cider, soda, seltzer, and wine.  I've been doing this for so long, in the same place, that everyone who comes to my house just wanders over to the station to help themselves, even though it's in an out-of-the-way arguably-goofy place (the foyer), which reduces my stress considerably as I don't have to keep asking people as they arrive and/or jumping up mid-meal to start the coffee or etc.  Similarly I lay out all the desserts on a particular table before anyone arrives; and just direct guests to put their tupperware offerings there; and then it's basically ready to go once we finish dinner - I just whip off the covers/ plonk stuff onto platters / add the whipped cream and ice cream and we're good to go buffet style.

And, mostly.... don't worry if you overhear somebody grumble. I mean, honestly. You are a goddess, their only job is to thank you, and if they fail to do so that's on them. Not you.

Signed, a firm believer in not-unduly-high hostessing standards

Edited by Pam in CT
omitted words
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I missed this…what are they doing this year without you??? I’m so curious.

My brother in law likes to do most of the meal every year despite many offers of help. He just wants it his way. However last year he discovered a restaurant in his area that would provide part to all of the meal. They provided all the things he didn’t want to make and left him to do his favorite 2 things. Maybe something like that would be a good choice for you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, momto3innc said:

Maybe I missed this…what are they doing this year without you??? I’m so curious.

My brother in law likes to do most of the meal every year despite many offers of help. He just wants it his way. However last year he discovered a restaurant in his area that would provide part to all of the meal. They provided all the things he didn’t want to make and left him to do his favorite 2 things. Maybe something like that would be a good choice for you?

One family is cooking their own meal for their own nuclear family. That family does cook for themselves and enjoy it. The other one hasn’t figured it out yet. I think my dad will cook something out on the grill for himself and that family-  so not a traditional Thanksgiving at all for that side. They don’t/won’t cook any of the traditional foods. Too hard but they do enjoy eating them. The side that cooks did invite the other side but that non-cooking side side won’t travel that far.

I do feel bad for my dad. He misses the family gatherings and takes people out for dinner a lot during the year and cooks at his house. He is the one person in the family that does host me and I do wish to cook for/serve him holiday meals. I will cook big meals for him on Christmas Eve/Christmas. 

These two parties live 3 hours apart. I live in the middle. 

Here's the verdict of a professional baker.  She tried pumpkin pies from walmart, kroger, safeway, and costco.

just a quick jump to the end: safeway was her favorite, costco was 2nd.

I'm a professional baker. I compared pumpkin pies from 4 grocery stores, and there are 2 I'd consider buying again. (msn.com)

• Thanks 1

I’ve discovered a few new shortcuts. 

1. Deep Fry the bird. We tried this for the first time and it was fast and perfect. There was no fire or oil popping drama. 

2. You can thaw two-year-old frozen cranberry relish and it’s still perfectly delicious. 🤣 I thought I would thaw, taste, toss, and make new, but it was very very good. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

@teachermom2834 How’d it go? 

It was fun! We have another day here tomorrow with some things planned my dd wanted to do and we did an escape room tonight with everyone. So it has been good family time.

Thanksgiving dinner was polar opposite from anything my family would ever do. Total fly by the seat of the pants. Several runs to 7-11 for ingredients..haha. Very much not the well orchestrated spreadsheet driven machine my family is used to. And it was absolutely fine! Everyone ate and no one complained and I think everyone was generally content. I took our hostess a 12 nights of Christmas wine advent calendar because I wanted something she wasn’t compelled to put out and share but was just appreciation for her. And I brought special chocolates from my hometown. And then we took everyone to the escape room tonight so they knew we appreciated all they had done to host the big bunch of us. 

My son’s gf and her family are very different than us. Like rough around the edges (drinking, language etc) and I think it was important for them to see they could be themselves and we would love them and I appreciated that they tried to temper themselves out of respect but I think they found it wasn’t necessary. It was good for everyone to see that everyone doesn’t have to be the same to be loving and hospitable.

I was able to help clean and prep without being in the way so that was nice. I made a couple of our family dishes and that was nice because the food wasn’t really what we would have chosen 😉 but that is ok too. Because there are 364 other days in the year and people are more important than traditions. 

So it has been good!  My ds we are down here visiting keeps texting me asking if I am ok and having fun. I think he thinks it is much harder for me to give up control than it is 😂

• Like 8

Costco has trays of Beecher’s Mac and Cheese in the freezer section.  It’s really good and we are Mac and cheese snobs (I make a very good Mac and Cheese but will buy Beecher’s sometimes just because it’s good). 

I would get a smoked Turkey.  That makes it a heat and serve endeavor like a ham.  

If you have a While Foods or similar, their deli makes good salads and sides.  

That said, if they are picky and won’t pot luck it, I’d be rather unapologetic if the meal doesn’t meet their standards.  

As the young people settle down, you may have the opportunity to shift the family norm a bit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this is mentioned but you could ask around and/or look up a local baker or bakery to look for rolls. I mean that professional baker is also making those rolls from scratch with quality ingredients. I've definitely seen people (self professed picky and foodies) be fooled by a well plated store bought item. 

Also though ungracious guests don't really get invited back to my parties. I've cut out some friends who always irked me as guests and I've not stressed about hosting since. Family makes it more complicated though.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, teachermom2834 said:

Ha. I have a long way to go to tater tots. If I transfer mashed potatoes to a crock pot a couple hours before dinner I am going to have some ‘splaining to do! Haha. 

Seriously am I the only one with a family like this?

No, you're not.  I've read your stories and wondered if you are one of my cousins, because this is the sort of nonsense my family throws down.  🤣  None of my people know how to act right and are terrible guests. I love them all, but we can't do holidays together anymore. 

My dad once threatened to spend Christmas Eve at a soup kitchen because my sister wasn't going to give him the holiday menu he wanted.  I said she should call his bluff and let him embarrass himself amongst people with real need. She caved, made him what he wanted, and then he only stayed for an hour. All that cooking, cleaning, dishes, expense, etc, and he ate and ran. 😠 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

My dad once threatened to spend Christmas Eve at a soup kitchen because my sister wasn't going to give him the holiday menu he wanted.  I said she should call his bluff and let him embarrass himself amongst people with real need. She caved, made him what he wanted, and then he only stayed for an hour. All that cooking, cleaning, dishes, expense, etc, and he ate and ran. 😠 

This sounds like something that could happen in my family. Especially with the eating and running. It’s so weird because in our case I know my people behave normally in other situations and hold professional jobs and are generally reasonable people. But something about the holidays and the family of origin brings out all kinds of nutty.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

This sounds like something that could happen in my family. Especially with the eating and running. It’s so weird because in our case I know my people behave normally in other situations and hold professional jobs and are generally reasonable people. But something about the holidays and the family of origin brings out all kinds of nutty.

Yep. My people all have very high-level positions in their chosen fields. They know how to behave in other social situations, yet they do this sort of stuff when it's family.  They know they'd get fired from a job for acting ridiculous but know you can't be "fired" from family, so they can do whatever they want. The behavior is a feature, not a bug!