Menu

What coat for my kid?

Farrar

Mushroom went off to college in the cold New England north without a proper winter coat.

Obviously, I'm getting him a nice coat for his birthday in a couple of weeks. I'd like it to be something that is properly warm. It's Massachusetts, not like, Minnesota, but I'd still like something cozy. And something that will last a bit. 

But also, I'd like it to be something that's marginally fashionable? BalletBoy vetoed any puffy coats. I was like, but isn't that the STYLE? He said no way. He and his brother don't have the same taste exactly, but I do know Mushroom also downvoted the puffy coat look.

So... SUGGESTIONS?

Northface, Carhartt, hoodies.  

Hoodies are extremely popular even when it extremely cold.  Otherwise Carhartt or Northface  is what I see the most.  The puffy jacket I bought DS currently hangs in his closet because he refuses to wear it ( says it is too restrictive with his movements).  When I worked with several young adults not a one wore a puffy coat but the ladies over 45 did ( they argued comfort not fashion when someone said something about the coats). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Northface, Carhartt, hoodies.  

Hoodies are extremely popular even when it extremely cold.  Otherwise Carhartt or Northface  is what I see the most.  The puffy jacket I bought DS currently hangs in his closet because he refuses to wear it ( says it is too restrictive with his movements).  When I worked with several young adults not a one wore a puffy coat but the ladies over 45 did ( they argued comfort not fashion when someone said something about the coats). 

Every time we've been to Rochester to see family, they all mock us mercilessly for only having mid-weight winter gear. Like, my wool coat is a joke to them. I guess I had the idea that in proper cold places, people still wear coats. Do they really just wear hoodies all winter? Even in the snow? He has hoodies.

If he's going to city New England I bet they don't wear real warm coasts much. I would just start out with what he has and he can check around. If he's going up to the mountains, hiking or skiing it would make a difference. I just saw your post. Does he have a winter coat at all? 

Edited by Starr
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Is Carhartt too... rural? Like, I don't know the word I'm looking for, but I don't associate it as a brand any city boys wear.

I thought so too (it was totally farmwear in the 80s) but the brand has been very in for the last two years. North Face went “out” here around the same time in my neck of the PNW.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/07/how-carhartt-became-an-american-fashion-icon.html

Maybe he could just see what people are wearing when it gets that cold and go from there? There are people here who ski in hoodies and refuse coats so ???

• Like 2

He has no winter coat at all.

Definitely not buying him Canada Goose, lol. None of us spend that kind of money. Land's End is definitely the price range I'm going for. North Face or Carhartt would be okay too, I'm just not sure about styles. Or about what makes something actually warm.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Every time we've been to Rochester to see family, they all mock us mercilessly for only having mid-weight winter gear. Like, my wool coat is a joke to them. I guess I had the idea that in proper cold places, people still wear coats. Do they really just wear hoodies all winter? Even in the snow? He has hoodies.

They wear hoodies in the snow.  I don’t think I have ever seen several of DS’s friends not in a hoodie.  I wear a fleece jacket most of the time during winter. 

Does he have a good set of gloves?  Those are the most important to me.  I like the Uniqlo ones that use your body heat to help keep warm.  

• Like 1

Okay, it seems like some of the Carhartt... might be the right choice. I'm going to (sigh, he vetoes everything) run it by BalletBoy. At least I already ordered him a really nice new Fjallraven backpack I know he had his eye on. And I can just bake him a cake. I have to order one for Mushroom! And my duo of 18 yos won't be together on their birthday! Bwah!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Starr said:

If he's going to city New England I bet they don't wear real warm coasts much. I would just start out with what he has and he can check around. If he's going up to the mountains, hiking or skiing it would make a difference. I just saw your post. Does he have a winter coat at all? 

I live in Boston (in the city) and it is windy here in the winter. I love my Lands End down filled parka. I wear it everywhere. Up to skiing in Wachusett and in single digit cold it's warm and cozy. He will need one soon -too bad there might not be any good sales but go on the website every day and you might score 25-35%off. I got my youngest his at 50% off in the late spring! 

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 1

Up here in Maine most young men just wear hoodies or a flannel. If he absolutely needed a coat, DS wore a fleece lined raincoat from Eddie Bauer (he wears the same in Ireland, so warm but not super warm). I wouldn’t fret too much about something thick— students are spending most of their time inside and bulky coats are just annoying to haul around.

I never see young people in my town wearing Carhartt (definitely seems rural wear to me) but I’m sure it varies by location and campus. He could just look around his college and see what other students are wearing once the weather turns. 

He'll want a hat that covers the ears though, anything he likes will be fine. And decent shoes for the snow and wet (not necessarily bulky snow boots. Bean boots are still popular here).

• Like 2

There are down coats/parkas that aren't puffy.  but those also leave the legs exposed.

dd was in central NY - she never wore her down parka because it didn't cover enough territory to keep all of her warm.

I ended up buying her a very good quality long wool coat with raglan sleeves (made it easier to wear a backpack over it), and a hood.

a good pair a gloves (i put them on in the store - if they were hot within five minutes, they passed), and a good polar fleece ear warmer.

one thing you might want to consider is good quality long underwear - you want breathable so they don't get overly hot.   silk is super thin, but warm.

• Like 2

I don't know what college aged kids are wearing these days, but in terms of the northeast weather, my recommendation is something like a ski jacket that can be separated. Like that has an outer shell and inner fleece. Lands End often has good deals and the pricier brands will be the same thing essentially, just more expensive (North Face, Patagonia, etc.) If he has a good shell, he can wear it over a hoodie if he wants or he can wear it with the inner. It will also work for different temps and weather as he can choose to layer for colder days and just wear the shell for rainy/chilly days. 

• Like 6

This one is packable. It rolls up into the size of a fist and stores in the coat pocket. Does this count as a puffy coat? It doesn’t add bulk. It’s very, very thin but very warm. Would be non bulky over a warm hoodie when needed. Ds has one and can easily pack it for trips and uses it when he needs extra warmth.

https://www.zappos.com/p/the-north-face-thermoball-eco-jacket-tnf-black/product/9524223/color/259985

• Like 3

This is an LL bean but this style is what we've seen most on campus the last couple years - just kind of a generic not puffy parka that is a little longer.  The zippers on the LL beans are a little nicer than lands end and usually you can get them for a similar price point especially if you're watching for sales.  I feel like short jackets aren't that warm at all.  And you still see shorts and hoodies in all weather for quick jaunts but I do think it's still nice to have a warm coat for longer walks.  This is a big 10 campus in the upper Midwest, but plenty of coasties attend.  

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83558?page=rugged-ridge-parka&bc=516567-593-506673&feat=506673-GN3&csp=f&pos=2

My college kid wears long underwear all the time, likes the smart wool socks.  We got him winter hiking boots.  

I would never buy myself a Canada Goose let alone a college student either lol.  But it does seem like the more obviously branded and $$$ something is, the more likely it is to disappear on a college campus!  🙂  

Edited by catz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

My two Minnesota boys didn’t take their winter coats with them anywhere all last winter, except for extended outdoor activities.  I think once they outgrow snowsuits and mittens-on-string it becomes a point of pride or something.  Hoodies year round.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

Or about what makes something actually warm.

I can answer this part--a lot depends on whether it's windy and/or wet. I had a winter coat that was warm enough for where I grew up, which was technically colder than where I went to college. At home, the wind was always up in the trees and mostly above me. At college, it was literally trying to blow me off the sidewalk. I had to upgrade to wind and waterproof. My new coat could be disassembled and worn in pieces, which also helped in warmer weather.

A coat that covers your butt and at least part of your upper thighs helps. Depending on his shape, something that has a definite waistband on the inside layer can help with air coming up under the coat--body type makes this either super helpful or super unhelpful.

Having gloves or mittens that can tuck up under the sleeves helps, and some coats have a kind of liner that can tuck down into mittens or gloves instead.

I currently wear a men's Columbia jacket that is light as a feather--it's similar to sleeping bags that are super light but go down to really low temps. I chose men's at least in part because I wanted to be able to move my shoulders around, and women's coats (at least at the time) were super narrow in the shoulders and under the arms. 

My coat also has a shiny lining that keeps in body heat.

If you can't find something lightweight, and it's going to be super cold, I second considering a down coat. I've always enjoyed them when I could borrow one. They can be a bit heavy, so it needs to be balanced with other needs.

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

one thing you might want to consider is good quality long underwear - you want breathable so they don't get overly hot.   silk is super thin, but warm.

Long underwear would help him layer. Layering, if you can keep wind out, can be warmer than a single super warm layer. 

If it's windy, and he is wearing jeans most of the time, long underwear help a lot--jeans do not keep out wind at all. 

I love my Darn Tough socks. They are thin, wear like iron, and warm. Wool keeps your feet warm even if it gets wet.

• Like 1

New Englander here. I'd say the fashionable college students are wearing Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Marmot, North Face. He'll want something with a waterproof coating for rainy/sleety/snowy days walking through campus. 

The "3 in 1" coats are great because you get the inner layer (usually a soft ever-so-slightly puffy one), the waterproof raincoat-ish layer, and then put them together for warmth plus water protection. 

Like this: https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-lone-mountain-3-in-1-jacket/27840.html?dwvar_27840_color=NORG&cgid=mens-jackets-vests-system

You can go on REI co-op and search for 3 in 1 jackets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Long underwear would help him layer. Layering, if you can keep wind out, can be warmer than a single super warm layer. 

If it's windy, and he is wearing jeans most of the time, long underwear help a lot--jeans do not keep out wind at all. 

I love my Darn Tough socks. They are thin, wear like iron, and warm. Wool keeps your feet warm even if it gets wet.

I can’t get my boys to wear long underwear (even though it is helpful), but wool socks are a must, imo.

• Like 1

Most young people in my part of Alaska wear hoodies all winter long.   I see girls at the bus stops in bare legs at 0 degrees!! 

I second the idea of scoping out what young people in his area are actually wearing.  A heavy fleece lined hoodie might be exactly what he needs.  Definitely gloves, socks, and a hat.  Hats appear to be cool here….  

Anne

• Like 2

This hoodie thing……I love them, but I used to worry that my sons would get stranded in the cold and only have a hoodie to keep warm. They were unfazed. One of them is especially against wearing coats. I encourage him to at least keep a jacket in the back of his car. Just in case. And we live in the South. Lol. I mean, it does get cold here….sometimes 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

And I’m really amazed that the people in the North walk around in hoodies. I had no idea!! I imagined them to be very savvy and knowledgeable cold weather dressers. It’s COLD up there! How on earth is that even doable?🥶🥶🥶🥶

You get acclimated to the cold, just like southerners get acclimated to the heat (which would kill me, lol). I spend hours a day outside and usually wear a hoodie or flannel shirt until it gets down around zero or below. Then it’s time to break out the winter coat.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

This hoodie thing……I love them, but I used to worry that my sons would get stranded in the cold and only have a hoodie to keep warm. They were unfazed. One of them is especially against wearing coats. I encourage him to at least keep a jacket in the back of his car. Just in case. And we live in the South. Lol. I mean, it does get cold here….sometimes 

We have a rule that if you are going somewhere in the winter, you don't have to dress for the weather, but you have to have the supplies in the car if you're not going to wear them. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We have a rule that if you are going somewhere in the winter, you don't have to dress for the weather, but you have to have the supplies in the car if you're not going to wear them. 

This was our rule also.  One of mine never, and I mean never, wanted to wear a coat or boots.  Okay, I guess that’s not a hill I want to die on, but the coat and boots absolutely HAD to be in the car - that, I was willing to die on!

• Like 2

We also had the you just have to have the option to be weather-appropriate with you in the car or in your bag rule. Of course, now that he's in college, I can't enforce anything. It's all up to him. So I guess the philosophy at play here is just "I still want you to have the option."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

What the heck is up with kids not wearing coats?  Is hypothermia or pneumonia fashionable? 

Oh no you just get used to it. Also, when it’s cold the humidity drops to nothing so it doesn’t feel as cold as say, 32 degrees with 100% humidity & a high wind. I once went from a brutal winter in Florida to a cold snap at my school in New England, I’m not joking when I say I was much more chilled in Florida.

I wasn’t the only one, a girl who was from Miami noted the same thing when we both caught each other going between buildings wearing tee shirts and jeans on a 28 degree sunny, windless day. Note: we were just going to the closest place to get a meal from our dorm and I’d had to spend a lot of time outside in sleet in Florida because my favorite horse was sick. 

Boston does have cold humid days though so I think a kid would definitely need at least a 3-in-1, if not a full parka. Especially if they aren’t used to Northern winters. 

ETA: a humid cold wind will cut to the bone. A cold dry wind might give you frostbite but I think you’re less likely to die from hypothermia. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

Oh no you just get used to it. Also, when it’s cold the humidity drops to nothing so it doesn’t feel as cold as say, 32 degrees with 100% humidity & a high wind. I once went from a brutal winter in Florida to a cold snap at my school in New England, I’m not joking when I say I was much more chilled in Florida.

I wasn’t the only one, a girl who was from Miami noted the same thing when we both caught each other going between buildings wearing tee shirts and jeans on a 28 degree sunny, windless day. Note: we were just going to the closest place to get a meal from our dorm and I’d had to spend a lot of time outside in sleet in Florida because my favorite horse was sick. 

Boston does have cold humid days though so I think a kid would definitely need at least a 3-in-1, if not a full parka. Especially if they aren’t used to Northern winters. 

ETA: a humid cold wind will cut to the bone. A cold dry wind might give you frostbite but I think you’re less likely to die from hypothermia. 

I mean, yes, this is definitely true, but MA has some cold, humid days, and I lived in South Dakota for awhile, and no matter how dry it is, negative 20 is dangerously cold.  New England gets some dangerously cold days.  

But yeah, 32 and dry is way less cold feeling than 32 and humid.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Acorn said:

Do young men still wear shorts in midwinter (northern Midwest) as I commonly saw about ten years ago? Yes, we know how to dress for winter but don’t judge us by college campuses.

I am in the land with the 10,000 lakes and live blocks from a Big 10 campus and within small distance of several private colleges.  Yes, see especially high school and college age guys all winter long in shorts.  I do think on a cold dry day with little wind, you do see quick runs with no coat or a light extra layer possibly.

BUT the coats do still come out for longer excursions, snow and sleet, outdoor adventures, etc.  My kid is a college senior now and really doesn't care at all about his hat, etc not looking cool.  LOL.  He is at another Midwest big 10 campus.  l am definitely team you need a coat kid.  

Edited by catz
  • Like 3