Menu

Red Cross Declares National Blood Shortage. (Blood donors are needed.)

Stacia

8 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I have never given blood. Is it scary?

No, unless you have a fear of needles or seeing blood. I have donated plasma before and it wasnt scary.

I haven't donated in a long time because I have low blood pressure, and I pass out if I donate. 😕

• Thanks 1

During the pandemic I started donating blood again and try to do it everytime they call taht I can again. Right before Christmas everything got busy so it went longer than normal but I did manage to get in the week after Christmas.

(I wanted to donate platelets but turns out I don't have adequate veins for that)

Edited by vonfirmath

Dh usually donates often because his blood type is always wanted, but I’ve been asked not to even try anymore. My veins are terrible and just quit giving even with a normal blood draw. This was a good reminder though as Dh hasn’t gone in quite a while due to Covid so it makes sense it’s needed. I’ll let him know.

Just to let you all know that the Red Cross isn’t the only resource for donated blood. In fact, they supply 40% of the needed blood. There are regional organizations as well. I know of one in Florida and another that covers parts of Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. There are others as well. I also think some large hospital systems are managing donation systems. All of this to say that while I don’t doubt donations to the Red Cross are down, it doesn’t necessarily follow that there is a shortage. Check with your area hospitals to see where they get their blood and consider donating it there - it gets where it is needed faster because it is used in a smaller geographic area and that reduces wasted donations.  

ETA: Donated blood saved my sons life eight years ago. He needed multiple units of blood very quickly. I highly encourage blood donation - there are some great organizations out there helping others, so if you see an org other than Red Cross in your area, ask them for info on where the blood is used. Blood donors save lives - my son and my family thank you, as do thousands of others. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd absolutely love to be able to donate blood, but have always had one or more issues that ruled me out. Hemoglobin is the most persistent problem. AFAIK mine has never in my entire life been at or above 12.5.

Same with me.  It's frustrating.  I couldn't donate for a long time because I had Hepatitis A as a teen.  They lifted that exemption but my hemoglobin has always been a problem.  Ds3 is a frequent blood donor and I'm really proud of him for doing that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I wish I could donate.  I wish dh could donate.  He's O+ and used to give quarterly.  Unfortunately, outdated rules have kept him from doing so since spending too much time in Europe.  When they revise that, dh will gladly go donate again.

That's really a shame that he's willing to do it but not allowed.  

11 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I wish I could donate.  I wish dh could donate.  He's O+ and used to give quarterly.  Unfortunately, outdated rules have kept him from doing so since spending too much time in Europe.  When they revise that, dh will gladly go donate again.

That's why I haven't before, when I was younger they had rules about where and when traveled that didn't work for me.

7 hours ago, TechWife said:

Just to let you all know that the Red Cross isn’t the only resource for donated blood. In fact, they supply 40% of the needed blood. There are regional organizations as well. I know of one in Florida and another that covers parts of Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. There are others as well. I also think some large hospital systems are managing donation systems. All of this to say that while I don’t doubt donations to the Red Cross are down, it doesn’t necessarily follow that there is a shortage. Check with your area hospitals to see where they get their blood and consider donating it there - it gets where it is needed faster because it is used in a smaller geographic area and that reduces wasted donations.  

ETA: Donated blood saved my sons life eight years ago. He needed multiple units of blood very quickly. I highly encourage blood donation - there are some great organizations out there helping others, so if you see an org other than Red Cross in your area, ask them for info on where the blood is used. Blood donors save lives - my son and my family thank you, as do thousands of others. 

Personally I don’t give one dime or ounce to Red Cross.  I think they have become shady as heck and I have no idea why they aren’t investigated harder and shut down. I doubt I’m the only who feels this way so it wouldn’t surprise me if this is a factor to the low numbers at the Red Cross. But there are usually lots of other donation options for people to choose. Technically, all blood accumulation is a “non-profit” bc it’s illegal to buy it from donors. But they all make a LOT of money selling it to hospitals. So people shouldn’t feel any guilt going somewhere else to donate blood. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TechWife said:

I actually give at We Are Blood -- our regional resource.

And they are saying the same thing as Red Cross. Blood desperately needed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

My mom is O- and gives as often as she can.

Unfortunately, I did not inherit that from her. A+ is not nearly as useful.

10 hours ago, MercyA said:

Only a little.  I regularly pass out when I'm getting routine bloodwork (and have learned the whole drill, of warning the always-grateful technician, who lies me down and raises my feet and etc), and, the difference between *having blood drawn* at a lab vs *donating blood* is just a few minutes more lying on the table.

Headphones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

I vaguely recall that they changed those rules sometime last year. Maybe look into that again. Mad cow isn't really an issue. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I actually give at We Are Blood -- our regional resource.

And they are saying the same thing as Red Cross. Blood desperately needed.

I don’t think she was denying that there is a shortage. Honestly there’s never really “enough”.  We are just noting that this isn’t a Red Cross issue and they aren’t the only option or even necessarily the best option. 

• Like 1

Dh hasn't donated since somebody wanted him to get a doctor  to decide his Gilbert's syndrome is not a problem.  It isn't but he didn't want to do that.  They could have looked it up on google. And he used to give regularly.

I only gave before I was diagnosed with autouimmune diseases.  haven't done it more than 40 years.

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Only a little.  I regularly pass out when I'm getting routine bloodwork (and have learned the whole drill, of warning the always-grateful technician, who lies me down and raises my feet and etc), and, the difference between *having blood drawn* at a lab vs *donating blood* is just a few minutes more lying on the table.

Headphones.

Thank you! I don't mind blood draws too much. Does it really only take a few minutes?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Thank you! I don't mind blood draws too much. Does it really only take a few minutes?

One of the WTM nurses/HCWs can weigh in - my understanding is "it depends."  For me, it takes <10 minutes. 

But-- not to brag, but-- HCWs regularly tell me I "have great veins." 

I *think* they're just trying to be affirming, what with the passing-out and all, but perhaps there's something to it, LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I last gave in December. It was my first "Power Red" donation, so just the red blood cells I guess. But there was an issue with either the machine (or me?*) and at the end I heard them muttering "contaminated" and I didn't get the return of the rest of the blood solution for the second process. They said it could still be used but I was not left with an assured feeling they were telling the truth.

*They mentioned, after I asked if it was okay, that next time I should try to hydrate before donating because I clotted fast. I was a little surprised because I had been doing extra hydration for a few days leading up to it. They said then it probably wasn't anything to worry about. So IDK if I caused the issue, clotting faster than they expected, or if the machine had an issue (they kept tapping it and checking it and having whispered mutterings, even at the beginning). Some of these mutterings also included one woman telling the other she pulled the thing too far out of me when trying to adjust it, and that seemed to be a not good thing, too.

All this background to ask my question of more-experienced blood donors: if I give again should I just do whole donation or the special Power Red thing? Do you know if 1 session of red cells mixes with 1 session of whole blood, is donation still useable? I'm O-, if that matters. ---> eta question, that is clearer: is the Power Red donation really that much better and useable, that I should try it again?

Edited by Moonhawk

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

I think it varies A LOT. My DH is a rare type and was eager to give, but even if he was the only one in the clinic, it would take him a good two hours--waiting for the person to call him back, then all the questions, then the worker fiddling with materials, then the donation (quick!), and then all the waiting around so they would let him go. I went with him once, and it was insane and a HUGE waste of time. I couldn't believe they had a permanent blood bank location (vs. mobile clinic) devoted to that kind of wasted time. It was that bad, and it was always like that when he went. (Not Red Cross)

I have given more often at blood drives, and they keep you moving because they are processing whole groups of people. That said, I tend to clot, but people like my DH or my dad give lightning quick and are on their way.

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

*They mentioned, after I asked if it was okay, that next time I should try to hydrate before donating because I clotted fast. I was a little surprised because I had been doing extra hydration for a few days leading up to it. They said then it probably wasn't anything to worry about. So IDK if I caused the issue, clotting faster than they expected, or if the machine had an issue (they kept tapping it and checking it and having whispered mutterings, even at the beginning). Some of these mutterings also included one woman telling the other she pulled the thing too far out of me when trying to adjust it, and that seemed to be a not good thing, too.

I have a similar problem and question for those experienced... @MercyA and newbies...don't read, lol!!! I am an outlier big time.

So, I have the clotting issue too. ETA: Or, they tell me they must've hit a "valve," but medical people just give me the side eye and say that's weird. Every time. I have good veins--when I have to have blood drawn for labs, they think I am a dream come true, both arms. I tell them about my troubles giving blood, and they have nothing good to say about blood bank people. I do know that while in the hospital having a baby, my IV port clogged up fast--I don't know if that's clotting or another process. 

Anyway, the last time I gave (20+ years ago), they almost had to throw my blood away because I kept clotting. They also kept messing with the needle in my arm. The people I went with were long gone while I was lying there being made to feel very inferior.

I would like a truly definitive answer about this kind of thing because I have always felt bad for not giving, and I am certainly at a place in life where I have the time to make it happen. I come from a family that has always donated readily, frequently, and enthusiastically until disqualified by meds, and I feel like I should be willing to give in their place. 

I wish I could just go the local hospital and have a well-qualified phlebotomist who could sort this out try it again, but they don't do that. They use blood banks only. 

Would taking baby aspirin for a week or two ahead of time fix this without disqualifying me?

I am not super eager to give during Omicron, TBH, but I still want answers.

Edited by kbutton
  • Thanks 1

Hey both of you who are clotting- please get checked for Factor V Leiden.  And yes, it is bad even if you are heterozygous.  I am and have to be on blood thinnerss.  Factor V Leiden is the most common reason for blood clotting in European ancestry people- 1 out of 9.  Oh and medical personnel ignored for years that I had clotting issues.  I would get clots after IVs and they said it was normal---uuh, no.  Only normal if you have a clotting disorder.

Please, I beg of you-donate if you can. It doesn't matter what group is running the donation drive. My mother is alive today due to blood donations-without transfusions, she would not have lived long enough to make it into surgery, especially with hospital overload being what it is. 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Please, I beg of you-donate if you can. It doesn't matter what group is running the donation drive. My mother is alive today due to blood donations-without transfusions, she would not have lived long enough to make it into surgery, especially with hospital overload being what it is. 

Same here.

My mom was in the hospital for 33 days across November/December and received a lot of blood transfusions during that time. Every time they hung up a bag of B+ blood for her, I sent a silent thank you into the ether to the folks donating blood.

So, thank you.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, MissLemon said:

No, unless you have a fear of needles or seeing blood. I have donated plasma before and it wasnt scary.

I haven't donated in a long time because I have low blood pressure, and I pass out if I donate. 😕

I pass out too, but no low bp.

Re: time for donation... I would say my experiences over the years have generally been an hour from when I walked in the door until I was walking out again. Sometimes longer, but probably never shorter.

I donated a lot when I was younger and never had problems. I went a few years ago and ended up feeling very light-headed/almost fainting afterward (which was really strange as I don't think I have ever fainted in my life), necessitating me staying there awhile for observation. Fortunately my young adults were donating with me, so they ran out to pick up some better food for me to eat (vs. just snacks at the snack table) while I was recovering.

The donation center folks did emphasize to me repeatedly that the week leading up to donation, you need to eat like a king. So bulk up on all kinds of food and make sure you're really hydrated too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TechWife said:

Thanks for posting this! I happen to work for a regional blood center. We do have some Red Cross in our area but we are the local provider for 126 hospitals (I copied that from an email we just received, haha). Unfortunately, the problem is nationwide right now. We have the same staffing shortages as everyone else (mass exodus when there was a vaccine mandate a few months ago), plus Covid, weather, and normal seasonal dips. 

If anyone would like to see if there are blood centers that are not Red Cross near you, here are a couple of resources (basically coops of the smaller blood suppliers). It has been a long time since I donated with Red Cross, but we hear quite often that the customer service is much nicer with our smaller center. You will get cookies. 

https://americasblood.org/for-donors/

http://bca.coop/find-location/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

As a blood products recipient, I want to say thank you to all donors! It really does mean the world to recipients and their loved ones. Not all of us can pay it forward-the type of anemia I have isn't curable, only treatable, so I can't ever donate, but I'm still deeply grateful to those who donated to me in back 1997.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, MercyA said:

I'm scared because I have had bad experiences with blood draws. When I was in high school I didn't weigh enough nor was I old enough. I was very skinny back then and as a young adult (under 110 lbs). When I gained more weight I thought it might be okay but I'm still scared because I've left dr visits with a horrible bruise after giving blood. My veins are not hard to find, either. Then I worry about eating enough to not feel weak and faint. Last time I had blood taken for a vitamin level and I did OK though. So if you prepare (eat enough, bring a drink or snack) it might be fine. 

• Thanks 1

I will say my veins aren't the easiest to find (have had plenty of blood draws through the years where they've had to "sweep" the needle).

But, I think since folks at blood donation centers do just that day in and day out, they have always been very good at getting me on the first stick.

Just my experience....

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Hey both of you who are clotting- please get checked for Factor V Leiden.  And yes, it is bad even if you are heterozygous.  I am and have to be on blood thinnerss.  Factor V Leiden is the most common reason for blood clotting in European ancestry people- 1 out of 9.  Oh and medical personnel ignored for years that I had clotting issues.  I would get clots after IVs and they said it was normal---uuh, no.  Only normal if you have a clotting disorder.

I am not sure I'm actually clotting--that's part of the problem. I've also been told they hit a "valve," which other HCWs seem to think is really weird and not accurate. I am not sure I am the actual problem.

We do have a family history of clotting, but I don't think anyone has had Factor V Leiden so far. Getting anyone to care has been challenging. One of the people who has actually had PEs and DVTs gave blood just fine prior to being on anticoagulants--he has given gallons. He never had issues with IVs either. 

4 hours ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

Thanks for posting this! I happen to work for a regional blood center. We do have some Red Cross in our area but we are the local provider for 126 hospitals (I copied that from an email we just received, haha). Unfortunately, the problem is nationwide right now. We have the same staffing shortages as everyone else (mass exodus when there was a vaccine mandate a few months ago), plus Covid, weather, and normal seasonal dips. 

If anyone would like to see if there are blood centers that are not Red Cross near you, here are a couple of resources (basically coops of the smaller blood suppliers). It has been a long time since I donated with Red Cross, but we hear quite often that the customer service is much nicer with our smaller center. You will get cookies. 

https://americasblood.org/for-donors/

http://bca.coop/find-location/

Your BCA link shows who the organization I've donated to. We frequently have bloodmobiles come to the local elementary schools for teachers and community members to be able to donate to. Our high school also has a bloodmobile come monthly. We had a recent staff member pass away and his family requested blood donations in his name in lieu of donations. I thought that was a cool thing to do.

I've never had a bad stick. I was able to donate during my 45 min students' specials time. I was concerned about returning on time, but had no problems. For me, the paperwork takes longer than the blood draw.

My dd had a poor experience with the bloodmobile at her high school after several good experiences. It took a very long time to collect the blood and she felt very dizzy afterwards. They told her to head back to class anyway and she nearly fainted on the way. She called me and I talked her through what to do. After a little while, she was fine. But she wouldn't donate there again.

• Like 1

I have very thin veins and slow flow and the first time I went in low iron. What I do is start hydrating even more about 2 days before I’m due- drinking so much and peeing every hour and it’s all clear. I also take Iron supplements and take 2- 65mg on the day. Most days I schedule after our school

hours so after 2pm. I budget 1 hr but usually finish before that time usually after 30-40 mins max. I think I should be due again next month and I’ll go immediately. 

Giving blood is an awesome way to help others! I f I had a blood donation soapbox, I would step up and proclaim it everywhere I went.

Everyone can help with blood donations. Everyone.

If you are excluded from donating, volunteer for a shift to answer phone lines or help in the canteen. Consider setting up a remote blood donation at your place of work or school (high school and colleges are great resources). Volunteer to be the person to call past donors who haven't donated in a while (tough but so necessary). Volunteer to stuff envelopes for information resources. Be the person to put on the blood drop suit and dance in front of the building for an hour. They also need volunteers to pick up blood from donation centers and take it to the processing lab or pick up blood from the lab and take it to the hospitals or other sites.

Really, there are many ways to help and the need is great.

To answer some of the questions, donating can be uncomfortable (needle stick in the finger for hemo test, arm stick for donation) but it shouldn't persist past the initial twinge. After your first donation, which takes about an hour or so, you can answer all of the questions on line and save yourself time at the donation site. Answering online means you only have to do the basic health check - temp, BP, hemo and then it's off to the donation bed. The staff will love you, too, for saving them precious minutes.

Donating platelets - there are two procedures. The older procedure involves two needles (one in each arm; one for the draw, one for the return) and can be time consuming and uncomfortable. The newer procedure is only one needle (draws and return are through the same port) and much more comfortable.

There are some perks to donating.  I have received my 1 gallon donor sticker and a wonderful thank you from a recipient from some of my platelets. There are also seasonal promotions for t-shirts. My favorite t-shirt is a halloween sugar skull. My blood donation center also gives points for every donation. The points can be used at the blood enter store. I saved all of my 2021 points and am getting a fleece jacket and blanket.

Some donation sites also give monetary gifts to donors. My center is currently giving gift cards to Target, Amazon, Walmart, or Starbucks. $5-10 for a whole blood donation, $20 for platelets. 

Edited:  Whole blood can be donated every 56 days and platelets every 14 days. What is really neat is that you can donate whole blood on the 1st of the month and donate platelets on the 15th and 29th of the month.

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

After your first donation, which takes about an hour or so, you can answer all of the questions on line and save yourself time at the donation site. Answering online means you only have to do the basic health check - temp, BP, hemo and then it's off to the donation bed.

I need to find out if ours does this. This would fix a lot of the issues DH has with going. 

I looked for a drive near me and one was happening today so I went and did it.  Easy, quick, declined the offer to eat cookies that would have meant taking off my mask but snagged a package of mini-oreos for dd17, win-win for the day!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Edited:  Whole blood can be donated every 56 days and platelets every 14 days. What is really neat is that you can donate whole blood on the 1st of the month and donate platelets on the 15th and 29th of the month.

Can platelets be donated by people who are anemic?

21 minutes ago, KSera said:

Don’t think so. You could donate plasma though. 
https://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/blooddonor/can_i_donate.html
Can I donate if I have low Hemoglobin (Hb) or anemia? 
Female donors must have a hemoglobin level of at least 12.5g/dL and male donors are required to have a minimum level of 13.0g/dL. If your hemoglobin is too low, you will be asked not to donate blood for at least 30 days for both whole blood and apheresis donations. The most common reason for low hemoglobin is iron deficiency, and you will be given information about maintaining a healthy iron balance. View additional information about iron and blood donation.”

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lilaclady said:

I have very thin veins and slow flow and the first time I went in low iron. What I do is start hydrating even more about 2 days before I’m due- drinking so much and peeing every hour and it’s all clear. I also take Iron supplements and take 2- 65mg on the day.

Orange juice or any citrus juice is supposed to be helpful for blood flow. 

29 minutes ago, KSera said:

No, in order to donate platelets you have to qualify for whole blood donation. After your first WB donation, you apply to see if you are eligible to donate platelets. Not everybody can donate platelets. I am not certain as to why and is something I should look into.

• Thanks 1