Menu

Healthy Eating - January Challenge

Soror

This fall has been a rough one for me. In the midst of multiple thyroid medication changes (and the accompanying fatigue and wonky sleep due to that), a busier than usual schedule (job changes), and way too much stress my eating has suffered. I generally aim for 80/20; 90/10 approach but that has slipped. I'm feeling better now, have cut back my sleep, and a lot of the stress but have found myself with some bad habits I need to shake. I've slacked on meal prep for my lunch. I've also increased my snack quantity while the quality has decreased. With my latest medication change my appetite is getting back to normal but what I'm eating is still not the best. With the new year coming I thought it would be a good time to challenge myself to reset my habits and taste buds. I was also hoping that with it being the new year there would be others looking to do similar, so we can motivate each other. I'm still working on guidelines for myself. 

Anyone else want to join?

-looking for those working on establishing healthy habits for whatever woe works best for you and your body! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Yes!

I’ll join. 

im starting the year with a fast. Week 1 of January is no solid food after 3 pm.

weeks 2 and 3 are Daniel fast weeks, which basically consists of vegan diet but no sugar, white flour, or yeast, or processed foods; maybe a few other restrictions that I can’t remember off the top of my head. The primary focus is spiritual but I find that my body and mnd are blessed by fasts as well. I’m not setting a goal weight or anything, in fact I’m intentionally putting my scale away to focus on mental and spiritual growth over diet stuff. 

my hope is that starting the year this way will jump start my health goals for the year.

• Like 4

Yes, I am in!  I have cleaned up my diet a whole lot and practice intermittent fasting (usually at least a 16 hour fast--sometimes 18).   Of course with the holidays I have not eaten as well as usual and I feel it.  Having some accountability and community would be beneficial and fun!   I am making a vegan "bone" broth now.   

The other thing I desperately need to do is work out.  Good grief I just don't enjoy it and it is always the first thing to go when I am tired/busy etc.

Weight- wise I think I have figured out my goal weight range and need to lose about 25 pounds to put me in the upper end of that range.

@Soror thank you for this!

• Like 2

I’m in!! I’m so embarrassed by my unhealthy eating over the past several months. I got busy and just haven’t focused on healthy eating at all. I bet I’ve put on 15 pounds, although I dread weighing myself to know for sure. I’m also frustrated with myself for not providing healthy meals for my family. My work has been so busy, my daughter has been super busy with dance (which means I’ve been busy too), and I completely stink at meal planning. So I have to change…for myself and for my family. 

I have had success in the past following Trim Healthy Mama, which is a low-ish carb meal plan. Some meals are low-carb, while others may have some carbs (but healthy carbs, which I like!). No junk, no sugar, no white flour. I’m excited to get back to it, as I always feel great when eating this way. But I just have to remember exactly what foods I enjoyed when eating this way. I am stuck in a junk food rut right now, so it’s hard. 

I am excited to have some accountability. Thanks for starting this thread!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'll join.  I've been focusing on healthier eating for the last 20 days but don't plan on stopping anytime soon so I'll join for January.  I basically just stay in a specific calorie range which is anywhere from 1500 to 1900 depending on my food choices and workout routine of the day.  I struggle with binge eating so my main focus is high protein volume eating.  I haven't binged in 20 days eating this way and I'd love to extend that through January.

Weight loss is a secondary goal.  I've lost 20 pounds this year and have quite a bit more to go. I've lost and maintained the weight before so I know I'll do it.  It is just a matter of getting a better handle on the mental issues that cause binge eating so when major stressors arise I can still make healthy good choices.

• Like 3

I would love to be a part of this. I have really terrible eating habits. I’m going to concentrate on trying to eat a certain number of fruits and vegetables a day. There are days when I eat so badly I might only have one! 
I did a challenge before where you count how many different ones you eat in a week. I like a lot of fruits and veggies. I enjoy eating healthy. But I also get lazy and crave awful for me foods way too often. And I give in. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I struggle with binge eating so my main focus is high protein volume eating.  I haven't binged in 20 days eating this way and I'd love to extend that through January.

Weight loss is a secondary goal.  I've lost 20 pounds this year and have quite a bit more to go. I've lost and maintained the weight before so I know I'll do it.  It is just a matter of getting a better handle on the mental issues that cause binge eating so when major stressors arise I can still make healthy good choices.

Can you share here or by pm what you're eating?  I was doing well with my eating until my surgery.  Now the eating/exercise routine I maintained for years is gone and I am lost/depressed/anxious.  Plus all the stupid covid stress.  Our house is filled with holiday treats and snacks and I just sit on the couch and eat all. day. long.  It's terrifying how much weight I've gained and how quickly.  I need to get back on track ASAP.  

Congratulations on your success!  

• Like 1

I’ll join. Lots of travel over the course of a month + the holiday vortex means lots and lots of junk and not so much discipline.

My plan is to first just stop eating junk right after New Year’s Eve. I also need to cook a ton for ds as he heads back to school—I try to always send him back with a freezer full of meals. Pre-cooking for him will ensure healthy food for all of us.

Once ds heads back, I’d like to re-establish no junk, low sugar, heavy veg and confine myself to regular mealtimes and no late-night snacking. With that I also want to seriously deal with my wonky sleep and aim for more regularity in my sleep-wake cycles.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Can you share here or by pm what you're eating?  I was doing well with my eating until my surgery.  Now the eating/exercise routine I maintained for years is gone and I am lost/depressed/anxious.  Plus all the stupid covid stress.  Our house is filled with holiday treats and snacks and I just sit on the couch and eat all. day. long.  It's terrifying how much weight I've gained and how quickly.  I need to get back on track ASAP.  

Congratulations on your success!  

I will happily share. My breakfasts almost always consist of 3 medium eggs cooked either over easy on top of a ridiculous amount of whatever veggies I have available (leftover roasted veggies, or just fresh spinach cherry tomatoes and scallions) or as an omelet with the veggies.  I stick to spices and sriracha for added flavor.  About once a week I'll have french toast or waffles.  I'll add either a lean breakfast meat to that or have some plain greek yogurt with berries.

Lunch is almost always either leftovers or a wrap that is anywhere between 250 and 350 calories depending on if I use lunch meat or chicken thighs I've roasted on a previous day.  I don't like the taste of chicken breast but that is a better option for protein per calorie.  I use this as my wrap https://www.amazon.com/Josephs-Lavash-Bread-Whole-Reduced/dp/B0831DTSR4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=KBYAUWNEWUKV&keywords=lavash&qid=1640709775&sprefix=lavash%2Caps%2C2477&sr=8-3 but buy from walmart so it isn't nearly as expensive.   The wrap is loaded with spinach or a spring mix and other raw veggies I like.  I'll add dijon but any low cal dressing would work well, I just don't like dressing.

On the days where I'm feeling that nagging snacking urge that won't go away I make a chocolate protein shake using unsweetened almond milk, chocolate protein powder, frozen strawberries, cocoa powder, and sometimes pb2. If I want it sweeter to try to stop that sweet demon in my head I add a banana.  To get the volume bigger without adding calories if I feel I need more I just add ice to it.

Dinner is always two different types of veggies that take up almost the entire plate and a serving of whatever protein source I'm making that day.  I usually stick to shrimp, salmon, chicken thighs, ground turkey, lentils, black beans, red beans.  I also add steak to the mix once every two weeks because I really love steak. Not to say my meals are always just two veggies and a hunk of meat.  I'll do fajitas, lentil curries, stir fries, etc.  But the base of the meals always consist of two heaping servings worth of veggies and a protein source.  I am not a huge fan of pasta, rice, and bread so I still usually have those available for other family members but I don't eat them.  I'd rather have higher fat foods, alcohol, and some sweets(if my binge tendency is under control) than have things like rice, pasta, and breads regularly. 

Oh and soup. I eat a lot of soup this time of year.  Chicken broth, loads of veggies, and chicken usually.  I change up the spices to give flavor variety.

If I want to snack I usually make popcorn. I only drink water and coffee daily.  But I do make room for my favorite whiskey or tequila once or twice a week.  Also, dh will make me a latte sometimes.  

If you want specific go to recipes I use I'll happily add some links

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, I’ve gained about 10 lbs this fall between holidays, less time for meal prepping, crappy weather & less time to exercise once school started. 
Have been doing Keto/low carb for a few years now… and I’m totally sick of everything I usually make. Need to add some new meal choices and am hoping to have  some lower carb Whole Foods back in like lentils & sweet potatoes without going all carb crazy 😉

starting to meal plan again would be a good start

• Like 4

I have *got* to get back to eating breakfast. It doesn’t have to be anything major, but skipping always makes me think it’s fine to eat more over the rest of the day, and it’s always too much more!
My main issue is that I don’t like to cook in the morning, and I won’t run the blender because it will wake everyone else up.

In addition to that, dd recently started working at Dunkin’, and brings home leftover donuts a few times a week. I am way too much of a sucker for donuts!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have *got* to get back to eating breakfast. It doesn’t have to be anything major, but skipping always makes me think it’s fine to eat more over the rest of the day, and it’s always too much more!
My main issue is that I don’t like to cook in the morning, and I won’t run the blender because it will wake everyone else up.

In addition to that, dd recently started working at Dunkin’, and brings home leftover donuts a few times a week. I am way too much of a sucker for donuts!!!

I make steel cut oats in advance and just microwave a portion in the morning.  I eat them with Greek yoghurt and fruit.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

when I used to have breakfast (I no longer do most days), I had fruit, yogurt, and nuts on top. No cooking, no blender.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I hate cooking in the morning as well.  The only way I consistently started eating breakfast was when dh started making it daily. Now I get a hot breakfast every morning and it really does help with not eating too much throughout the day for me

• Like 3

For those that like granola in the morning, Michele's Granola is lower sugar and we think the taste is vastly superior. It's the only item we actually subscribe to have sent on a regular schedule because we like it that much. Dh eats it most days. I have to vary my diet more due to my conglomeration of health challenges, but I still have it once or twice a week gladly.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

For those that like granola in the morning, Michele's Granola is lower sugar and we think the taste is vastly superior. It's the only item we actually subscribe to have sent on a regular schedule because we like it that much. Dh eats it most days. I have to vary my diet more due to my conglomeration of health challenges, but I still have it once or twice a week gladly.

Another great option is muesli. Seven Sundays is our favorite:

https://www.sevensundays.com/collections/muesli

• Like 3

I would also like to join.   I just started tracking my calories/meals last week so that I can start losing some of the weight that has slowly started (and this past 6 months not so slowly) to creep up on me.  I wanted to do a reset during my Christmas vacation with the hope that when I go back to work on January 3rd I can have a week + of healthy eating under my belt.   Right now I am actually having a difficult time getting all of the calories in for my day.  I have never been a big eater but what I was choosing to eat was high in calories and not healthy (love chips and salsa, any baked good etc).   Now that I am trading it out for lean meats and lots of veggies I find it hard to go over 1100/1200 calories daily.   I am hoping to get some insight to increase my calories while doing it in a healthy way.

• Like 1

I’d love to join in. 

I was 7 lbs away from my goal weight last week, after a lot of hard work, and then we had Christmas. Oops. I’ll get back there.

I do a keto-inspired eating plan, which my doc suggested five years ago, before it became a fad. I have all the things that make weight loss hard—thyroid, PCOS, insulin resistance, I take daily steroids, you name it. The moment I go off my eating plan, the weight creeps up. 

Fortunately, I like what I eat on my plan, and I like to work out once I’m in the groove. It’s just getting back into it that’s hard!

I use Carb Manager to track my food and exercise, and they start a new monthly challenge group every Monday, so I’ll be joining that to keep motivated, too.

• Like 3

I'll join in. Stress eating after school did me in this fall and there is always just too much food over the holidays. Still have birthday cake and ice cream in the house, plus inclement weather is keeping us inside--no healthy grocery stock up trips yet. But I'll start in on the 3rd when it's back to the school routine.

• Like 1

I’m in! I was doing well until August. Dc went to college and we sold our house. We had to spend the entire month of October in a hotel between moves and it went downhill fast. I’m going to try Green Chef starting the first week of January to help get back on track. I don’t enjoy cooking anymore since I lost my taste and smell years ago and meal kits are the only thing that seem to keep me interested with cooking at home at all. I usually get three meals a week delivered, then just come up with two or three of my own and plan to eat takeout at least one day a week.

My portion sizes are fine but right now I’m just not eating healthy. I’ve still been able to maintain my 40 pound weight loss from two years ago but haven’t really tried to continue (and I definitely have more to lose). I just need to get serious again about it all. Covid really messed everything up. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I make steel cut oats in advance and just microwave a portion in the morning.  I eat them with Greek yoghurt and fruit.

13 hours ago, regentrude said:

when I used to have breakfast (I no longer do most days), I had fruit, yogurt, and nuts on top. No cooking, no blender.

I am jealous of those of you who can do yogurt. My whole household loves it (dh will literally eat a quart like ice cream) and it happens to be one of my few complete aversions,lol.

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hate cooking in the morning as well.  The only way I consistently started eating breakfast was when dh started making it daily. Now I get a hot breakfast every morning and it really does help with not eating too much throughout the day for me

Does he offer delivery???  😄 
Dh is just as bad as I am. He, however, has ridiculous metabolism that has *barely* changed since he was a teenager. Must be nice!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Does he offer delivery???  😄 
Dh is just as bad as I am. He, however, has ridiculous metabolism that has *barely* changed since he was a teenager. Must be nice!

I dh is the same way with his metabolism.  When he switched careers from being a martial arts instructor to working a desk job 2 years ago my dad made the joke that dh was going to start adding on the pounds. Well dh recorded his weight on the first day of the new job and then a year later.  It was exactly the same.  The only thing that changed was his muscle mass, which he has noticed and is now working on for himself.  But seriously if I went from a heavy workout job to sitting at a desk all day I'd gain like 20 pounds in the first year.

17 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I do best with a nice breakfast too. I used to always make a hot breakfast but when I started working in the mornings I had less time so I started doing bigger batches at a time so I don't cook breakfast every day.

Besides greek yogurt and smoothies(I eat after lifting weights if I don't have something high protein already cooked)- I also like:

steel cut oats- I make enough for several days at a time and just reheat in the microwave- if wanting higher protein try soy milk or some protein powder in there. I eat this before workouts and just put in fruit, unsweet plant milk, and some sort of nuts

quiche-

https://www.skinnytaste.com/crustless-sausage-and-spinach-quiche/

muffins-  (I cut the butter and sweetener in these at least in half- sometimes I don't use any- I often make the pumpkin version and add a handful of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips)

https://runfasteatslow.com/blogs/news/superhero-muffins

high protein pancakes

https://cleananddelicious.com/video-high-protein-pumpkin-pancakes-clean-delicious/

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

I'm excited to 'see' everyone! I'm still thinking on what kind of challenge I want to set for myself. I've made a list of lunch meals I want to do. I started slacking on prepping my lunch and that is one thing I really need/want to get back to doing. Before lunch was my best/biggest meal of the day but I've just been eating leftovers and whatever else I can find lately. It isn't as healthy or as filling. Today I'm making a batch of falafels for a bowl lunch. I've also struggled with eating as many vegetables as usual, mostly due to not eating as well for lunch as that is when I would really load up as the family doesn't like as much as I do I could eat more veg heavy without complaint.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Overnight oats are my breakfast of choice here lately. I keep mine pretty simple, but you can add in whatever you want. I make four mornings' worth at a time in individual containers.

• Like 1

I would like to join in! My new year will really start next Monday when dh goes to work. 

I have gained about 20 pounds in the last two years. I am an empty nester working from home, and I'm snacking way too  much. 

I lost weight several years ago by keeping my carbs under 90 a day, having some protein at each meal/snack, and eating 4 times a day. That was before I went into menopause, so I'm not sure if it will work again. I'm wondering if I should try intermittent fasting. 

We live in a new community and have a new church. I believe they are going to encourage some kind of fast in January, but I haven't heard the details yet. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'll join.  In theory, I follow NoS principles and the Med Diet.  In reality,  I need to get with the program fully.  (My brain agrees with it; it is the doing that eludes me too often).

However, we are in holiday mode here until after Jan 7 (live in a nation that celebrates Christmas then).  Add in Dec. 25th Christmas (my tradition), a birthday, NYE, and NY's day) and I'm ready to reset come mid-January!  But being part of this thread now will help keep the non-celebratory days a bit more in check. 🙂

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for some dinner inspiration this is what I'm making tonight. https://www.budgetbytes.com/balsamic-chicken-thighs/.  I'll add onions and mushrooms to the dish and will serve it with baked sweet potato and roasted broccoli.  Might have a simple salad with it and have the balsamic juices dress the salad. If you track calories I'd suggest figuring out yourself because the amounts on the site seem off to me but since she doesn't give how much a chicken thigh is in grams per serving it is hard to tell.

This is a great meal prep dish too. Usually, I make enough for one meal and a few lunches for dh and me.

• Like 3

I would love to join in. 
I have lost around 32 this past year and have around 30-40 more pounds I would like to lose. (I am more focused on percentage of body fat right now.) 

I started to go raw vegan for a 21 day challenge/trial this fall when I was hit by a bad stomach bug and lost all momentum. I want to focus on that again, but may need to wait until DS goes back to college. (He is underweight and needs more fat and protein than I do. He can cook his own meals, but I don’t want him to feel like he has to.) 

I went vegetarian in March, with very limited amounts of cheese and an occasional egg. It has helped my pain and inflammation levels so much. I am trying to focus more on health benefits of certain foods than on what I can or shouldn’t eat. (Lots of sprouts, colorful vegetables, etc.) 

• Like 2

I'd love to join. I am not trying to lose weight (other than the 5 pounds I gained over the past week of holiday eating), but I need to focus on healthier eating. I like vegetables but don't eat nearly enough of them. And I have to watch sodium due to Meniere's in my left ear, but I love salty/savory things so that is a challenge.

• Like 3

I'm in. I lost 25 lbs this year between May and November, but I think I've added a few back this month since DS has been home and I've been cooking much higher calorie meals and buying high-calorie snacks. My "new year" really won't start until he goes back to college, plus DD is moving home next week, so I will have to change my meal planning and prep to accommodate her as well — although thankfully she is a healthy eater who is fine with being fully plant-based, so that makes things easier.

I'm hoping to lose another 15 lbs or so in the first half of next year. I lost the first 25 lbs just by going fully whole food / plant-based, with zero exercise, so I think the next 15 should be easier to drop if I actually get off my butt and start exercising regularly. My other goal is to reduce my blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar. When I had my annual physical in April, all those numbers were creeping towards the top of the "normal" range and I want to get them down to optimal levels instead of almost-bad-but-not-quite levels.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, hjffkj said:

If anyone is looking for some dinner inspiration this is what I'm making tonight. https://www.budgetbytes.com/balsamic-chicken-thighs/.  I'll add onions and mushrooms to the dish and will serve it with baked sweet potato and roasted broccoli.  Might have a simple salad with it and have the balsamic juices dress the salad. If you track calories I'd suggest figuring out yourself because the amounts on the site seem off to me but since she doesn't give how much a chicken thigh is in grams per serving it is hard to tell.

This is a great meal prep dish too. Usually, I make enough for one meal and a few lunches for dh and me.

I usually love her recipes too. Not sure if I've tried that one. 

My lunch prep for yesterday was- falafel- I've wanted to try this for awhile but was scared as the last time I made falafel I hated it. I loved this recipe! I cut the oil in half- I frequently bake instead of fry and never use that much oil. It was still nice and crispy and very tasty. I will def. be adding this to my lunch rotation. I served it with brown rice, spinach, and tomatoes with a quick homemade tahini dressing. I've been doing pumpkin superhero muffins for breakfast as I made a batch earlier in the week. I'm still eating too much chocolate but overall doing better on snacking. Tonight I'm making a turkey chili. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

My lunch prep for yesterday was- falafel- I've wanted to try this for awhile but was scared as the last time I made falafel I hated it. I loved this recipe! I cut the oil in half- I frequently bake instead of fry and never use that much oil. It was still nice and crispy and very tasty. I will def. be adding this to my lunch rotation. I served it with brown rice, spinach, and tomatoes with a quick homemade tahini dressing. I've been doing pumpkin superhero muffins for breakfast as I made a batch earlier in the week. I'm still eating too much chocolate but overall doing better on snacking. Tonight I'm making a turkey chili. 

Her recipes are always a great start for me. I usually modify them because they don't always have enough flavor or veggies for my liking. But many of my go to dishes started from one of her dishes.

4 hours ago, Soror said:

That falafel recipe looks good. I'm out of chickpeas and I need more fresh herbs. They are on the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That falafel recipe looks good. I'm out of chickpeas and I need more fresh herbs. They are on the list.

I hope you like it. I was just using up what I had, so I made it with fresh cilantro and dried parsley. I did not think they would hold together based on the consistency but they did well. Also, I mentioned imo they were plenty crisp with just 2T of oil in the pan. 

• Like 3