Menu

Cost of braces (teens)

SKL

Paid $5K in a very high COL area for Invisalign in the southeast 2 years ago.  Quote in a much, much lower COL area also in the southeast was $7500.    

For child 1 who was in regular braces, 2 phases over 8 years, yes 8 years, we paid a small fortune 14 years before that in the lower COL area.  Child 2 was $4800 for traditional braces.  Also in the lower COL area 8 years ago.  

Edited by zimom

I also strongly recommend Invisalign over traditional braces hands down if they are an option.   So much easier, less breakage, cleaner teeth, fewer appointments, more compliance.    Of course, you do have to have a fairly compliant teen.  

• Like 2

Traditional braces, 2+ years, plus retainers, $2600.  That was 5 years ago in an average COL area.  This includes aftercare, which is still ongoing to this day.  In fact, we have a new retainer coming as the old one wore out and that is covered.  It seems it varies widely.  We only had the option of two providers (both two hours away....sigh) and they both quoted the same. 

• Like 1

Interesting.

I just dropped $7,000+ for Invisalign for my two teens (3,000+ for one and $4,000+ for the other).  I was wondering how much I'm spoiling them.  I feel somewhat better now.  😛

Edited by SKL

It's interesting to see the range.

I'm sure it varies by the work required. My oldest's braces journey included tooth extraction (wisdom and bicuspid) for overcrowding, as well as a palette expander. Traditional braces  

Youngest is getting hers in two weeks. Invisalign. Nowhere near the level of complication. 

Just now, alisoncooks said:

It's interesting to see the range.

I'm sure it varies by the work required. My oldest's braces journey included tooth extraction (wisdom and bicuspid) for overcrowding, as well as a palette expander. Traditional braces  

Youngest is getting hers in two weeks. Invisalign. Nowhere near the level of complication. 

Yeah, with Invisalign, there is a point beyond which it is all the same cost.  That helped me, as I had multiple rows of teeth, LOL.  One of my kids really doesn't have much correction at all, but I still want to do this for her (to eliminate gaps in her front teeth).  The other kid has somewhat bucky front teeth.  Could live without correction, but since I am able to do this for them, I decided to.  One less thing for them to have to deal with someday.  🙂  And hey - I saved some money from not sending them to parochial high school ....

• Like 2

Invisalign and reg are the same price so we are doing Invis.   (Same price quoted in 2019 and 2021)

Invis with retainers thought to take a year or less if she wears them.  She doesn't have a ton of correction to do and wouldn't need them, but we are doing them anyway.  Hoping it helps some other issues that she is having.

$6250

-$950 insurance courtesy

-$250 family courtesy

Total treatment fee  $ 5050

-$2000 insurance

What we will pay $3050

WE can get a 5% discount if paying in full

Other kid who is getting first round of ortho work and probably will have to have another round when she is older.  This is two expanders, round of small braces, and retainers.

$3450

-$500 insurance courtesy

-$250 family courtesy

Total treatment fee  $2700

Insurance will pay $1350

We will end up paying $1350  and can get a 5% discount if paying in full.

Then the ortho gives you $1350 back as a credit when you come back for the second round of braces.

This is in MCOL area.

Edited by mommyoffive

$5800 for standard braces in a LCOL area in 2015

$6800 standard braces, HCOL, lots of band and jaw work, permanent lower retainer installed; priced around and bids were $6500-7500ish

$6800 palate expander + Invisalign, no band work, didn’t price around

next kid gets an estimate next week, can update…

Edited by prairiewindmomma

Each of my kids was about $5000 (maybe a bit less) for estimated 18-20 months standard braces. Medium-high COL.  This was with an up front payment discount and we did get a little help from dental insurance.  invisign was going to be more for my kids and wasn't recommended as optimal for their overbites.  My oldest ended up being in his like 26 months.  

My two older teens had braces and now my 3rd kid and myself have them. In all 4 cases, the quote was just over 5k and ended up being slightly under 5k after we paid up front in cash (no ortho insurance, sadly). I think they offered us a 7% discount for that. We just moved to a different state and had to transfer care to a new ortho. He was very slightly cheaper than the last ortho, and he was super nice and gave us his standard 8% discount for paying cash up front even though we transferred in. 

ETA: these were standard silver braces, not Invisalign, and the price included fixed retainers and standard retainers at the end. Oldest kid went almost 48 (yes, 48) months—he had some complicating issues. Second kid was 24 months. I’m 9 months into a projected 18 and DD is 8 months into a projected 24. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

Kid #1: about $5600 about 5 years ago

Kid #2: $3500 for round 1 about 8 years ago, $7400 for round 2 about 3 years ago

Kid #3: $5800 just started in April

All had standard upper/lower metal braces. Invisalign cost about $1000 more - we only checked with oldest and decided not to bother with the others. All had to have teeth removed prior to braces - one had wisdom teeth removed prior to braces as well. None of that is included in price above. Kid #2 had an expander, head gear and a custom made plate on the palate (not really quite sure what to call it - he made it to fix her teeth hitting the top of her mouth and to do something else that I don't really remember).

Insurance paid $2000 of Kid #2's first round, $1000 of Kid #1's, and $1500 each of the final 2 sets. Prices above are before insurance kicked in. DH changed work a lot in those years, so different amounts per kid (and fortunately both rounds of Kid #2). 

I could've purchased a fairly nice car for all of the braces I've bought. 

Edited by historically accurate

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Yeah, with Invisalign, there is a point beyond which it is all the same cost.  That helped me, as I had multiple rows of teeth, LOL.  One of my kids really doesn't have much correction at all, but I still want to do this for her (to eliminate gaps in her front teeth).  The other kid has somewhat bucky front teeth.  Could live without correction, but since I am able to do this for them, I decided to.  One less thing for them to have to deal with someday.  🙂  And hey - I saved some money from not sending them to parochial high school ....

I am beyond grateful that my mother (preachers wife who had very little $) took care of my orthodontia. 

Both of my older girls who had braces have expressed gratitude and thankfulness that they had it done. 

If you are anywhere near a dental school, I strongly recommend that you check  it  out.  My extensive dental work done 30 years ago is all cracking off. Was quoted $25-40K  for 7 extractions, implants, crowns, and sinus surgery.  With discounted dental school fees, and insurance. my out of pocket is $4K. Student procedures take twice as long than a practitioner. But savings are substantial.

• Like 1