Menu

Rush Limbaugh died & Prince Philip is hospitalized.

Katy

Limbaugh repeatedly told his listeners that covid was nothing but a common cold, and he was instrumental in spreading the lie that pandemic warnings were a Democratic hoax and not to be believed. Today we passed the grim milestone of 500,000 deaths. This man died with blood on his hands.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

I think the OP was just making a current events announcement about Limbaugh.  

Certainly I believe that people are responsible for their words, but again, I'm not his judge.

It seems to me that this discussion would be a more fitting topic on the Politics Board (of which I believe you three are members  🙂), so I will bow out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DoraBora said:

I hadn't realized he was 99!  They are a long-lived bunch!

Yeah I knew he was over 90 but I didn’t realize it was 99. 

Royals do have access to good medical care, though, so long as they don’t die in a tragedy. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Quill said:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Prince Phillip is in hospital...

😉

I will feel badly for the Queen if he passes before her. They have been married for 73 years (!) and if he dies not only does she lose a life-long companion, she will lose all those shared memories and shared history.

• Like 5
  • Sad 10

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I will feel badly for the Queen if he passes before her. They have been married for 73 years (!) and if he dies not only does she lose a life-long companion, she will lose all those shared memories and shared history.

Most likely, one or the other will proceed first, which is just so sad for the remaining person. 

My parents “argue” about this all the time, i.e., “you can’t die first and leave me alone!” It’s kind of cute. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm no royal expert, but I've read that they live apart most of the time and only see each other every now and then. I think he lives on a country estate and she is mainly in London. Not to say that she wouldn't miss him, but she seems to be used to living independently from him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yeah I knew he was over 90 but I didn’t realize it was 99. 

Royals do have access to good medical care, though, so long as they don’t die in a tragedy. 

I have to admit that I secretly hope he gets to 100 so he gets a letter from the queen congratulating him.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 29

19 minutes ago, Quill said:

Most likely, one or the other will proceed first, which is just so sad for the remaining person. 

My parents “argue” about this all the time, i.e., “you can’t die first and leave me alone!” It’s kind of cute. 

Our neighbours were like this.  It was lovely but so sad after the husband died the wife just became a shell of herself and lived another 3 years afterwards.  She said she though he was still there in the house waiting for her.

• Sad 8

3 hours ago, Quill said:

My husband and I argue about this and we’ve only been together 30 years but have had our share of near misses that it’s only a half-joke. 🙏😬😁

• Like 1

I think we can talk about someone's character separate from their politics. Rush was a cruel man, and while I believe other stories about his generosity, that doesn't change the fact that he said many cruel things in the guise of being "funny". People are not one dimensional - they can be both cruel and generous - and I guess we are left to weigh which matters more in evaluating a person's life. And that is setting aside how his style affected our national political discourse in general.

I am deeply, deeply adverse to cruelty. I don't think it's funny no matter a person's political views. When the target of cruelty is someone with less power than you, particularly someone already suffering, it makes me sick to my stomach. Calling 12 or 13 year old Chelsea Clinton a dog to a national audience makes me shake with rage. Some acts are so cruel they should forever associated with the person unless they publicly and repeatedly ask for forgiveness. Making fun of people with disabilities that already open them up to ridicule. Laughing at marginalized people dying painful deaths (at least he said he regrets that). He made his millions in part by being cruel, and while I wish he had lived long enough to publicly acknowledge his cruelty and try and make up for it, he didn't. I'm not sad he's gone, in that case.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, livetoread said:

I think we can talk about someone's character separate from their politics. Rush was a cruel man, and while I believe other stories about his generosity, that doesn't change the fact that he said many cruel things in the guise of being "funny". People are not one dimensional - they can be both cruel and generous - and I guess we are left to weigh which matters more in evaluating a person's life. And that is setting aside how his style affected our national political discourse in general.

I am deeply, deeply adverse to cruelty. I don't think it's funny no matter a person's political views. When the target of cruelty is someone with less power than you, particularly someone already suffering, it makes me sick to my stomach. Calling 12 or 13 year old Chelsea Clinton a dog to a national audience makes me shake with rage. Some acts are so cruel they should forever associated with the person unless they publicly and repeatedly ask for forgiveness. Making fun of people with disabilities that already open them up to ridicule. Laughing at marginalized people dying painful deaths (at least he said he regrets that). He made his millions in part by being cruel, and while I wish he had lived long enough to publicly acknowledge his cruelty and try and make up for it, he didn't. I'm not sad he's gone, in that case.

Nice summary. I feel similarly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, livetoread said:

👏👏👏

I am not a Rush Limbaugh fan. I too think he was cruel and egotistical.

But as a Christian who believes in a literal heaven and hell, I can't bring myself to be glad that someone is dead. Even - maybe even especially - someone I believe has not acted in a Christian manner during their time on earth. In addition, assuming that someone is in hell and we can know how God has judged their heart is very arrogant. I can and should judge Rush's words and actions as unChristian and unbiblical, but judging his eternal destination is way above my paygrade.

And if you do believe in a literal hell, it's disgusting to joke and/or rejoice at the thought that someone you don't like on earth is burning there for all of eternity.

Edited by Momto6inIN
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

But as a Christian who believes in a literal heaven and hell, I can't bring myself to be glad that someone is dead. Even - maybe even especially - someone I believe has not acted in a Christian manner during their time on earth. In addition, assuming that someone is in hell and we can know how God has judged their heart is very arrogant. I can judge and should Rush's words and actions as unChristian and unbiblical, but judging his eternal destination is way above my paygrade.

And if you do believe in a literal hell, it's disgusting to joke and/or rejoice at the thought that someone you don't like on earth is burning there for all of eternity.

This may be too far from the original topic, and I no longer believe in a literal hell, so feel free to ignore me if you wish.

In my experience, people judge a person's having gone to heaven all the time. "He's in a better place." "Her pain is gone now forever." "He's with his Savior/the angels". It's only when we judge someone as "not worthy", that we say I can't judge his/her worthiness to God.

Also, Christians tend to wish Christ's return a lot. "Come, Lord Jesus!" was a popular phrasing whenever something bad happened. This has always rubbed me the wrong way as there are millions (billions?) of people who would then be thrown into the Tribulation/depths of hell. But, that's ok for the speaker, because that specific person is in heaven. Edit: I bring this up because we aren't supposed to wish hell on anyone, but I don't see too much of a difference in the two discussions. 

As I said, I am not sure I even consider myself Christian at this stage, and I no longer believe in hell (heaven I am unsure of). I was raised in a Christian household, and these are thoughts that I have had for years. Your comment is just my jumping off point. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

But as a Christian who believes in a literal heaven and hell, I can't bring myself to be glad that someone is dead. Even - maybe even especially - someone I believe has not acted in a Christian manner during their time on earth. In addition, assuming that someone is in hell and we can know how God has judged their heart is very arrogant. I can judge and should Rush's words and actions as unChristian and unbiblical, but judging his eternal destination is way above my paygrade.

This, absolutely.  Discernment/judgement of actions, yes, but not final, eternal judgement. 

I hope that as death approached, Rush Limbaugh repented of the harm he caused to others, and that he turned to God for mercy and forgiveness.  

I hope that for all of us, though I'd prefer it to happen sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

This may be too far from the original topic, and I no longer believe in a literal hell, so feel free to ignore me if you wish.

In my experience, people judge a person's having gone to heaven all the time. "He's in a better place." "Her pain is gone now forever." "He's with his Savior/the angels". It's only when we judge someone as "not worthy", that we say I can't judge his/her worthiness to God.

Also, Christians tend to wish Christ's return a lot. "Come, Lord Jesus!" was a popular phrasing whenever something bad happened. This has always rubbed me the wrong way as there are millions (billions?) of people who would then be thrown into the Tribulation/depths of hell. But, that's ok for the speaker, because that specific person is in heaven. Edit: I bring this up because we aren't supposed to wish hell on anyone, but I don't see too much of a difference in the two discussions. 

As I said, I am not sure I even consider myself Christian at this stage, and I no longer believe in hell (heaven I am unsure of). I was raised in a Christian household, and these are thoughts that I have had for years. Your comment is just my jumping off point. 

Many people do say that about people going to heaven, but that doesn't mean it's theologically accurate to do so 😉 According to my understanding of Scripture, individually we can have a sure hope in Christ and we CAN be sure of our own salvation in His blood. But as far as knowing anyone else's heart and being sure of anyone else's destination ... we simply can't know that. We often make an educated guess in the case of someone whose life and actions and words we know reflected faith in order to give ourselves and others comfort when they die. In the case of someone whose life and actions and words did not reflect faith, it's my belief that we should refrain from making that educated guess and hope for their repentance and rely on God's mercy.

"Come Lord Jesus!" is a little trickier. I do feel uncomfortable saying it in response to something bad happening, like I'm trying to rush God and doom people to hell as you said. But it IS in Scripture in Revelation. My understanding of it is that John is saying it more as a comment on his surety that it will happen just as it was prophesided to him, kind of like an "Amen!" and not as a "gee, I sure hope He hurries up so I don't have to deal with all these bad people anymore". But I could be wrong about that.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Yes, it's going to be really hard. My IL's were married 63 years but knew each other since they were kids. When MIL died FIL was devastated. He lived 3 more years after she died and never stopped tearing up every time he (or anyone) spoke of her. 

• Sad 6

I didn't approve of Rush or how he changed the US.  I definitely have the ability to be a snarky mean girl who gets people to laugh at the expense of others.  I have very rarely been cruel with that sense of humor and dialed it WAY back when I became Christian...  but I don't think making a living with that ability is evil, even if I don't think it's right for an old man to tease a child.

But then I hope no one goes to hell, not even the people I think are evil. 

I am very cynical and suspicious of people's moral certainty.   I find many people of faith take greater comfort in feeling a sense of moral superiority over others than they do in having a relationship with God in the first place.

• Like 2

I blame The Crown for making Prince Phillip a real person to me.  I mean, obviously he is a real person but he seemed very obscure to me until I watched that series.  I too hope he reaches 100.

My understanding is that  they were in the same castle together until he went to the hospital.  Not sure if they still spend a lot of time apart now or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, livetoread said:

I am deeply, deeply adverse to cruelty. I don't think it's funny no matter a person's political views. When the target of cruelty is someone with less 

Excellent post. Anyone who calls a 12 year old child names doesn't deserve respect or sympathy. 

I'm a atheist so of course I don't believe in an afterlife. He simply no longer exists. I usually try to have grace when a public figure I disagree with dies but in this case I can only say the world is better off without him. Unfortunately his legacy, and the hate broadcasts that modeled themselves after him are still with us and not going anywhere.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

But as a Christian who believes in a literal heaven and hell, I can't bring myself to be glad that someone is dead. Even - maybe even especially - someone I believe has not acted in a Christian manner during their time on earth. In addition, assuming that someone is in hell and we can know how God has judged their heart is very arrogant. I can and should judge Rush's words and actions as unChristian and unbiblical, but judging his eternal destination is way above my paygrade.

I am not sad he is gone --- I am also not *glad* he is gone. In fact, I wish he'd have had a change of heart and another decade of life to even attempt to make up for some of the damage his words have done to so many people and to their families. 

Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. I'll save my sympathy and tears for people who are trying to make this world a better place - something Mr. Limbaugh never pretended to be doing (and I used to listen to his blather when my kids were young and I was an open vessel of half-attention to the radio - eventually I started to see the actual damage his frivolous words and actions caused very real people and stopped.)

(also, I do not believe in a literal heaven or hell, so... there's that.)

• Like 8

Where I'm coming from: I grew up in a household where he was listened to avidly, he certainly well liked and respected and held as a model.

I think the world is a better place without his show. I mean this as a literal statement: I think he made the world a worse place, because he was cruel, he marketed and promoted cruelty (the AIDS thing, etc), he marketed and promoted lies that directly hurt/impacted others (smoking doesn't cause cancer, Covid is a hoax, etc), and I do not feel grief that a negative source has stopped doing its work.

I think it's unfortunate that it took his death to stop his negative impact on the world. I would have rather he had made a change instead. But he chose not to, and so it's a natural consequence to feel relief that his negative works have ceased (unfortunately the negative impact has not). 

I can also still feel a grief for all of the wasted potential. I mourn the man that could have been, and that it is now too late to happen. But no, I would not wish him back to us as he was.

I won't judge where he is going in the next life, but will negatively judge the role he played in this one.

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 15

I don't have any tears for Rush either. None. I listened to him once upon a time 20 years ago but I was bothered by how mad and rude and cruel he was about everything and I stopped. I'm not defending his behavior or his words or his legacy in any way, shape, or form. But upthread someone posted that he was clearly in hell, and several people liked or laughed at that post. I find that disturbing.

Either they believe in a literal hell and both predict and take glee in the thought of him being there, or they don't believe in a literal hell and still said it anyway just for spite. Either way, they disapprove of Rush for being cruel in this life (which I agree with) but they are demonstrating that disapproval by being cruel themselves. Sooooooo it's ok to be cruel as long as the person you're being cruel to is bad? That's disturbing to me.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I don't have any tears for Rush either. None. I listened to him once upon a time 20 years ago but I was bothered by how mad and rude and cruel he was about everything and I stopped. I'm not defending his behavior or his words or his legacy in any way, shape, or form. But upthread someone posted that he was clearly in hell, and several people liked or laughed at that post. I find that disturbing.

Either they believe in a literal hell and both predict and take glee in the thought of him being there, or they don't believe in a literal hell and still said it anyway just for spite. Either way, they disapprove of Rush for being cruel in this life (which I agree with) but they are demonstrating that disapproval by being cruel themselves. Sooooooo it's ok to be cruel as long as the person you're being cruel to is bad? That's disturbing to me.

I made the joke. It wasn’t cruel, it was employing a popular cultural reference (burning in hell) to indícate how awful a person Rush Limbaugh was. 

I don’t believe in hell any more than I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster or worshipping Greek gods or that sacrificing babies to Tlaloc will make it rain. And while I find all of these things interesting, I find them equally implausible. (So I guess since I don’t actually believe in hell that means that I get to escape the “disgusting” label from your first post?) I don’t believe Rush Limbaugh is anything at this point but ashes in an urn or a body on a slab or in the ground after having made the world a worse place for his time in it.  So again, not cruel, not spiteful, just an observation. 

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

For me, the issue is not Rush, it’s why so many millions of people found his cruelty, mischaracterizations and open debasement of others to be so worthy of listening/following/adulation. 

Or why our last President (& his many supporters) found it so worthwhile to reward him with a Presidential Medal of Freedom. 

He may be dead (and I am entirely uninterested in what, if anything, is happening to his soul) but the seething anger and aggression that supported him is alive and well.

And it says a lot about this country. 

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1