Menu

Unusual topic: do you have rules about breaking wind...

fairfarmhand

Haven’t thought about it in a while, but I‘m now remembering that my family growing up found it most amusing. But I married into a family that would never find it amusing at all and now my current household is a sort of a mixture of the two.

We never play it up, but if there is an accidental noise, we all brush it off and keep things lightly humorous, with neither guffawing nor shaming, but maybe a little surprised giggle or light comment like, “squeaky floorboard...”.  Sometimes there might be a smell that makes others raise an amused eyebrow at the offender, but again, not in a shaming way but in a “darling, whatever did you eat?” lighthearted way.  

Unlike my family growing up where there would be many jokes, it’s pretty much a non-event in my current household.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

If there were any chance of rules being followed, I'd have rules.  I did try.  😛

One of mine is just really gassy, and she claims to be unable to control it.  (I can't relate.  I would have died if someone heard me fart once I was old enough to be cognizant of it.  But I don't really know why, since my siblings had no such hang-ups around the house.)

I can't believe I just typed that f-word on a public board.  Must be on the mental decline.

I have at least tried to convince my kids not to do it in public, and they are getting better about not doing it at the kitchen table etc.  It really annoys me when people do gross things at the table.  😕  Miss Gassy does say "sorry" when she's caught ... but not like she's really sorry iykwim.

• Haha 1

I'm always a little surprised that so many people seem to have enough control over it to leave the room in time. (And now I miss the little emoji guy who would look around and then walk off.) It usually catches us by surprise. We don't make a big deal about it. Occasionally a chuckle or an excuse me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kbutton said:

No fluffing the covers if you let one slip in bed.

No Burger King onion rings unless you plan to sleep outside. 

This made me laugh! I can’t even eat the one that gets slipped in with my fries anymore because I will pay later. I used to love them so much but knew I could only enjoy occasionally but now it’s not at all. They are seriously awful!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lulalu said:

Keep it silent when in public 

No farting on a person, in a face (can you tell I have a boy?) 

Those are about it. It is just natural in our home. 

My fart in peoples' faces kid is a girl😄

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Leave the area/try to control it when around people if possible.  Say "excuse me" if it wasn't possible to leave or control it.  Don't laugh about it or make fun of anyone for it. I have never gotten what people think is funny about it; it's just a normal thing.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

kbutton, Tim Hawkins, thanks for the laugh tonight, maybe I was in one of those moods, but that had me rolling! (or maybe because I know that tune from Kansas).   I am waiting the response from my daughter, I sent her the link. If she doesn't appreciate it, I think it is because you have to know the song! That natural gas tower, hilarious!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Most manners advice I've read suggests that, formally, you're not supposed to say excuse me. That's for burping. For farting you're supposed to pretend it didn't happen.

This is our household policy.

If it’s too overwhelming to ignore - blame the dog. (Tho serious the dogs are the worst offenders!)

If a lady toots in a manner that can’t be ignored or blamed on dogs or faulty chairs - the gentleman nearest immediately says, “Pardon me! So sorry!” As though he is the offender to spare her embarrassment.

If an older boy is hanging with his friends and feels a fart coming in at the store he might go stand near a couple to release it silently and then quickly move back to his friends without the couple’s notice but not so far he can’t hear them arguing over which one farted. 

No shifting sheets after emitting gas under them. And when you do shift the sheet, always to the edge of the bed farthest from occupants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

LOL! I've been reading this thread wondering what good it would do to have rules for the humans 'cause . . . dogs. Thank you for finally mentioning it.

One of our rules is "You can blame the dog, but you can't blame Grandma."

I have to say that I feel like people who say things like this:

5 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

having rules about it does not make sense.

Have kids who are entirely unlike my youngest.   We have many rules about flatulence.  

Things like:

If you are at Mass and the priests breaks wind, you should do your best to laugh INSIDE your head,  

If you intentionally aim your fart towards your brother, and he tells you you stink, do not come to mom looking for sympathy.  

Edited by BaseballandHockey
because I said the opposite of what I meant to say!
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Most manners advice I've read suggests that, formally, you're not supposed to say excuse me. That's for burping. For farting you're supposed to pretend it didn't happen.

Yes - that is what I was taught. In fact, it was a funny story that my mom's grandmother was considered humorous because once she wasn't thinking and did say excuse me, and everyone laughed. 

But no rules here, and if it is loud enough to be heard it is generally blamed on the dog. 

6 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

This is our household policy.

If it’s too overwhelming to ignore - blame the dog. (Tho serious the dogs are the worst offenders!)

If a lady toots in a manner that can’t be ignored or blamed on dogs or faulty chairs - the gentleman nearest immediately says, “Pardon me! So sorry!” As though he is the offender to spare her embarrassment.

If an older boy is hanging with his friends and feels a fart coming in at the store he might go stand near a couple to release it silently and then quickly move back to his friends without the couple’s notice but not so far he can’t hear them arguing over which one farted. 

No shifting sheets after emitting gas under them. And when you do shift the sheet, always to the edge of the bed farthest from occupants. 

True story: when a friend of mine was dating the guy who eventually became her husband, once she had a silent-but-deadly slip out at her home. She cried, “Oh, Angel! God, this damn dog!” And then she got a paper towel and “cleaned up” non-existant dog poo to cover her smelly escapee.

• Haha 3

On 1/21/2021 at 8:46 PM, SKL said:

One of mine is just really gassy, and she claims to be unable to control it.   

Is it the same one with the stomach issues thread? That would really have me taking her to a gastro (indicates the overall stomach problems are likely not new). 

• Like 1