Menu

Shingles vaccine?

matrips

The only thing I know about it is my former Pilates had a horrible reaction to the vaccine.  But I realize shingles is very painful itself.

who has received the shingles vaccine?  Or known people that have? Reactions to it?  Comments? Opinions? 🙂

I’m over 50 and debating.

I got it recently, two months between the shots. Very sore arm for several days, but that was all. Took otc pain meds for the soreness at night, but other than that, I was able to do everything I normally do just fine.

I have two autoimmune diseases and am over 50.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I want the vaccine, but my doctor doesn’t want to give it to me until I’m 50. I’ve considered looking for one who will, but it hasn’t been at the top of my list.

I have antibodies for chicken pox despite the fact that no one recalls me ever showing signs of the chicken pox. For some reason, that makes me fear shingles more than I think I would otherwise. I’m not saying that makes sense, but that’s where I’m at, lol.  I do have some minor immune system glitches that add to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I want the vaccine, but my doctor doesn’t want to give it to me until I’m 50. I’ve considered looking for one who will, but it hasn’t been at the top of my list.

I have antibodies for chicken pox despite the fact that no one recalls me ever showing signs of the chicken pox. For some reason, that makes me fear shingles more than I think I would otherwise. I’m not saying that makes sense, but that’s where I’m at, lol.  I do have some minor immune system glitches that add to that.

That sounds a lot like me.  I had so few chicken pox spots, that you could count them (accordingly to my mom, I don’t remember it).  We assume I have antibodies because my brother had a really bad case of chicken pox years later and I did not get it then.  Based on that, I am concerned about my chances of getting shingles.  

• Like 1

I had the first of the two Shingrex vaccinations in September, at the same time I got a flu vaccination. The next day I couldn't tell I'd gotten the flu shot, but the arm where I had the Shingrex was a bit red and swollen and just a little bit sore. It looked worse than it felt. I'm hopeful that meant I had an immune response--I have two AI diseases and am on an immune suppressing medication, so supposedly my response to any vaccine is less than a normal person's. But I'm always hopeful that they work. Anecdotally, I've heard that it's pretty common to feel lousy for 24 hours following one of the two Shingrex vaccines (but not both).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

What’s the 50 years old thing?   My insurance ok’d mine when I was 41 but I never went back to the pharm to get it.  I need to but it’s always something going on.   I had shingles around 31-32.

I think it is because over 50 yo are more likely to get it and more likely to get a bad case. 

• Like 2

It’s the only vaccine I’ve ever had more than just a sore arm from, but I would absolutely do it again. It was only after one of the doses (I can’t remember which one now), but I woke up in the middle of the night with a fever, and I never run a fever. It also made my rosacea flare and my eyelids and lips swell slightly (this can also sometimes happen to me in response to ingredients in sunscreen, toothpaste, lotion, etc if I try something new). It was all resolved within a day. Shingles sound horrendous, far worse than my reaction to the vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

DH and I both had both doses of Shingrix.

For me, my only reaction was really an extremely sore arm.  It was so sore that I was actually amused by it.  I felt a little off the day after I got the first dose, but not a big deal. 

DH tends to have reactions from vaccines.  He was pretty miserable for a few days after the first dose with fatigue and body aches.  The second dose his reaction didn't last as long, but it was more intense.  The morning after the vaccine, he had a headache, nausea, and fatigue that kept him in bed for a few hours, but then he felt much better.  

I highly recommend the vaccine since shingles can be very serious, but make sure you don't have anything planned for a couple of days after your shots just in case you have a reaction. 

• Thanks 1

I have had both doses.  My only advice is to not get it at the same time you get the flu vaccine.  That makes for one miserable adventure.   I had a fever, aches, and was perfectly miserable after the first dose (when I also got the flu shot).  However, the second shot was fine.  No issues at all.  It really isn't a big deal and I strongly advise it.  You do not want shingles!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I am interested too.  I would like the shingles vaccine.....I  am 50.   But I wonder if that should be fine farther apart than the covid one.  I am a teacher so a higher priority for the covid vaccine.

Talk to your dr about this.  I would think it would be better to get Covid first and to make sure they were quite far apart.  See my post about getting it at the same time as the flu shot,  it wasn't fun.

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

What’s the 50 years old thing?   My insurance ok’d mine when I was 41 but I never went back to the pharm to get it.  I need to but it’s always something going on.   I had shingles around 31-32.

It might be that you were cleared to get it at a younger age because you had already had shingles.  Once you have had it you are more likely to get it again.   Since you have had shingles, I would prioritize getting the vaccine as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I have had both doses.  My only advice is to not get it at the same time you get the flu vaccine.  That makes for one miserable adventure.   I had a fever, aches, and was perfectly miserable after the first dose (when I also got the flu shot).  However, the second shot was fine.  No issues at all.  It really isn't a big deal and I strongly advise it.  You do not want shingles!

I had both the flu shot and the first Shingrix shot at the same time. No adverse affects. 

• Like 1

I had a horrific case of chicken pox as a kid and there's no way I would ever want shingles.

I got the shingrix vaccine in the past year, the doses right at 6 months apart. (Mostly I waited the longer time because my second dose was during a lot of initial covid shutdows.) I am 53.

The first dose was fine. The second dose made me feel achy/bad about 6 hours after getting it. I basically felt achy overnight (less than 24 hours total).

Normally I have no or extremely mild reactions to vaccines so feeling achy for about 8 to 10 hours was a new one for me. But, so what? Less than a day of discomfort vs. possibly a week, month, or even years of damages that the actual disease can cause. I have known people who have had shingles (including my grandmother), seen the misery they have endured, and know you can end up with long-term adverse problems from shingles themselves (like nerve damage).

I am just thrilled and thankful I could get the vaccine. It's 100% worth it to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I got it a year or so ago, right after that last shortage ended. There were a few months between shots. No reaction, just a bit of a sore arm. My arm was more sore than when I get the flu shot, and it lasted for a little over a week, but that's all. I used to work with another teacher who got shingles and she was in horrible pain for several weeks. I didn't want that to ever be me. Dh also got the vaccine around the same time I did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

2dd had a very mild case of chicken pox when she was 2 1/2.  She had shingles when she was seven.  (or ten. . . . )

• Sad 2

I want to get the vaccine.  A few years ago, I checked into it but our insurance wouldn't cover it yet.  (Their age minimum was 62 I think?)  We have new insurance now though, and apparently they cover it.  I do NOT want to get shingles.  It sounds like getting shingles can be very miserable.  My dd had it at age 20~  was not pleasant!  (Her dog actually discovered it on her.)  

Check your insurance though...  Not only is a minimum age sometimes a requirement, but sometimes it's only covered if done at a medical clinic, and other times it's only covered if done at a pharmacy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DH got it. He had a reaction to the first shot—a flu like reaction the day afterwards, fever, chills, and a sore arm.

He was scared that the next dose would be worse, but it wasn’t. Just a sore arm for the next one.

I will be getting mine promptly when I turn 50. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, J-rap said:

I want to get the vaccine.  A few years ago, I checked into it but our insurance wouldn't cover it yet.  (Their age minimum was 62 I think?)  We have new insurance now though, and apparently they cover it.  I do NOT want to get shingles.  It sounds like getting shingles can be very miserable.  My dd had it at age 20~  was not pleasant!  (Her dog actually discovered it on her.)  

Check your insurance though...  Not only is a minimum age sometimes a requirement, but sometimes it's only covered if done at a medical clinic, and other times it's only covered if done at a pharmacy.

I'm 57 and when I got mine in September was the first time my PA ever mentioned it. I don't know if I hit the magic age when their group recommends it or if I hit the magic age that my insurance covered it. She told me that almost all private insurance plans cover the vaccines in office, but with Medicare (and maybe Medicaid?) you have to get them at a pharmacy.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm 41 and haven't gotten it yet. I know that my fil had a horrible time with shingles even with his extremely pain tolerance (he once had a bone sticking out from a break but finished his walk and went home for a shower before going to the dr). It messed up his vision. He was in bed with the lights out for weeks. He couldn't get the vaccine as it was counterindicated for some of his medication. He had all kinds of issues and was on many different crazy meds. I'll be getting it when eligible.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm 57 and when I got mine in September was the first time my PA ever mentioned it. I don't know if I hit the magic age when their group recommends it or if I hit the magic age that my insurance covered it. She told me that almost all private insurance plans cover the vaccines in office, but with Medicare (and maybe Medicaid?) you have to get them at a pharmacy.

My doctor recommended it age 55, but our insurance didn't cover it at that age so I put it off.  Our new insurance (BCBS) covers it I think starting at age 50.  It actually works out easier for us to get it done at the local pharmacy, but apparently sometimes it's covered only at one or the other (pharmacy or clinic), even with private insurance.  (I did call though and our insurance covers it at both.  Now I just have to get it done!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, my appointment to get the vaccine was scheduled for an hour from now, and my dh just showed me an email from our church today.  To pray for a woman whose legs are paralyzed after receiving the first shingles shot 😳.  She felt ill after the shot and then her legs became paralyzed.  She is currently in the hospital.  I cancelled my appointment 🙁

• Sad 3

On 12/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, Soror said:

I'm 41 and haven't gotten it yet. I know that my fil had a horrible time with shingles even with his extremely pain tolerance (he once had a bone sticking out from a break but finished his walk and went home for a shower before going to the dr). It messed up his vision. He was in bed with the lights out for weeks. He couldn't get the vaccine as it was counterindicated for some of his medication. He had all kinds of issues and was on many different crazy meds. I'll be getting it when eligible.

Do you know when he tried to get the vaccine?  Because if it was more than four or five years ago or so, the new Shingrix vaccine is probably one he could do.  

Lots of people couldn't do the prior shingles vaccine because of either medication use, or what disease(s) they had of both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TravelingChris said:

Do you know when he tried to get the vaccine?  Because if it was more than four or five years ago or so, the new Shingrix vaccine is probably one he could do.  

Lots of people couldn't do the prior shingles vaccine because of either medication use, or what disease(s) they had of both.

It was maybe 4 years ago. He has since passed away. During his bout with Shingles he had a growth come up, as he was having such a terrible time with the shingles it delayed him getting into the dr. Come to find out it was an aggressive form of cancer.

• Sad 2

According to the internet, the last doses of Zostervax were given Nov. 2020.  This vaccine has been discontinued.

For those still considering the Shingrix vaccine, my arm is still mildly sore at the vaccine site from yesterday but it helps to exercise that arm. I had a tiny bit of neuropathy in that arm yesterday but dh (RN) felt that that was due to swelling.  It has gone away.   Also I woke up in the middle of the night with a mildly intense stomach ache (normal side effect) but that went away after about an hour and I got back to sleep.  I may or may not have some body aches and fatigue but since those are my normal, I don't really know if I do or not.  But it's not enough to keep me from my normal daily routines.  Of course this is just one anecdote but I do have immune issues and am still doing fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was happy when Shingrix came out because I was really scared about adding shingles to my ever growing list of medical issues.  Dh was scared of shingles after he had a co worker or two get it.

We got ours when there were shortages so almost six months between the two injections.  I remember my arm was sore for about a week with one of them but it was a very minor pain compared to my lowest pain without pain meds of one kind or 5 ( I take or use up to 5 different meds) which is 6 out of 10.

Dh, who is more sensitive to medications, had a mild fever and some aches and pains for a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1