Menu

Games ~ What are you giving? Any new discoveries? What are you hoping to receive?

Kareni

Giving:

To a thirteen year old great-nephew:

The Fox in the Forest Card Game

To my brother-in-law:

Funemployed

To my adult daughter who is teaching English conversation to adult learners in South Korea, some games she can use with her students.

Ungame

OxyGIN (this may no longer be sold)

Requesting/hoping to receive:

I don't have any games on my wishlist this year.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

Giving Dragonwood to my daughter (xmas or bday, only days apart so I will see). 

An expansion pack of an Australian animal card game for my son and daughter, should work as stocking fillers.

Got a family quiz game based on an Australian TV show for my husband, he will be surprised!

• Like 3

Can I butt in and ask for suggestions from the pros? I'm not a big game player, but I need one that a family of 4-8 (depending on who is home), all 16 and up, can enjoy, that is not (1)  Catan (most of them are already big Catan players), and I really want something livelier than Catan, (2) terribly language intensive, so that my sweet exchange student (native language is Spanish) can play as well as the rest of us, and (3) going to take all night to play. I actually looked up the rules for spoons recently, and that might work, but something along those lines? My entire family is crazy-competitive, so games that are all mental, like Set, are all stress and not social enough. One of my kids is unbeatable at Tenzi and its variations, so no one will play her at Tenzi, but a similar physical element would be good.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, plansrme said:

Can I butt in and ask for suggestions from the pros? I'm not a big game player, but I need one that a family of 4-8 (depending on who is home), all 16 and up, can enjoy, that is not (1)  Catan (most of them are already big Catan players), and I really want something livelier than Catan, (2) terribly language intensive, so that my sweet exchange student (native language is Spanish) can play as well as the rest of us, and (3) going to take all night to play. I actually looked up the rules for spoons recently, and that might work, but something along those lines? My entire family is crazy-competitive, so games that are all mental, like Set, are all stress and not social enough. One of my kids is unbeatable at Tenzi and its variations, so no one will play her at Tenzi, but a similar physical element would be good.

Saving dr lucky is up to 8 players, we like it, some strategy and some chance

• Like 3

Dh found this game for the family this Christmas: Prime Climb; the beautiful, colorful, mathematical game. It looks like fun.

The boys in the family really like: Cover Your Assets. Dd and I DO NOT. It's competitive and unforgiving. Dd likes to whip me at Dutch Blitz and Labyrinth Duo, and Amomea, though. No hesitation about beating the ol' ma there.Â đŸ˜„

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Our newest game that we are giving everyone is Poetry for neanderthals.  A guessing game where you can't use any words with more than one syllable or you get bonked on the head with an inflatable club.

Well, that sounds both fun and hard. Note those short words!

Can't sign my name,

K

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, plansrme said:

Can I butt in and ask for suggestions from the pros? I'm not a big game player, but I need one that a family of 4-8 (depending on who is home), all 16 and up, can enjoy, 

I bought the UNO Flip game recommended on another thread for Thanksgiving, and my group of 6 20-30-somethings really enjoyed it and played it quite a bit. But they will play plain UNO, too.

• Like 3

My new discovery is Push:

https://store.labyrinthgameshop.com/push-card-game.html

(Link is a former homeschool mom owned business, btw!)

It's great. It's quick and dirty. It's like Uno in some ways, but there's more strategy and ways to mess up other players. You rack up cards but can lose them if you have to roll. You have to choose between banking them or getting more cards. If you like those sorts of play it over and over again fast card games (Uno, Love Letter, Sushi Go), this one is excellent. I had never even heard of it before.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, plansrme said:

A favorite game in my friend group is The Resistance: Avalon 

https://www.amazon.com/Resistance-Avalon-Social-Deduction-Game/dp/B009SAAV0C/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=avalon+game&qid=1607645593&sr=8-1

We mostly play that, but I do like One Night Ultimate Werewolf as well for a social game:

https://www.amazon.com/Bezier-Games-ONUWBEZ-Ultimate-Werewolf/dp/B00HS7GG5G/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XJ4KDHJGMKF&dchild=1&keywords=one+night+ultimate+werewolf&qid=1607645648&sprefix=one+night%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-2

• Like 3

The boys are getting:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/291457/gloomhaven-jaws-lion

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/284083/crew-quest-planet-nine

And this one from my mom (she wanted to buy a lighter game): https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/265736/tiny-towns

Plus, a ton of PC and Switch games.

This one had been on my wish list for awhile, so when it went on a sweet Black Friday special, I couldn't resist:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/203993/lorenzo-il-magnifico

I did also splurge on the new Oceania Wingspan expansion.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

Those of you who have played Dixit, a question. Might this work for @plansrme? I bought it once for an adult relative who does not read well, but might it work for the request of

On 12/10/2020 at 7:31 AM, plansrme said:

... not ... terribly language intensive, so that my sweet exchange student (native language is Spanish) can play ...

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I just bought Tsuro, Cat Stax and Genius Star for my boys, dd is getting a puzzle lol.

Some of our favourite games are Plague Inc. and Dimension. My kids love the Kittens et al games, but the Cat and Mouth one isn't released here yet. I really want the brand new game called Lord of the Chords! 

• Like 2

I found a few deals this season that I couldn't pass up. Though I am the real board game fan here, I'm giving a couple of things to DH, knowing that he will not mind either receiving them or playing them with me. But in a way, they are really for me đŸ˜‰.

Splendor -- just gave this to DH yesterday for his birthday and haven't played it yet.

7 Wonders Duel -- will be for DH for Christmas. We own and enjoy 7 Wonders, but it's awkward to play with just two people, and sometimes the kids don't want to join us, so I think the Duel version will be nice to own.

Alhambra -- This was a lightning Amazon deal, and I may just count it as a non-gift purchase and add it to our game shelf. So a gift from myself, for myself.

Takenoko --- I could not resist getting this cute Panda-themed game when I saw it on sale, and I considered giving it to DD18 for her birthday, but ended up handing the box to DH and telling him that he should have the kids wrap it and give it to me for Christmas. I will play it more than DD will.

Pandemic -- for SIL. Because even though we are not exchanging gifts this year, I suspect she may send the kids something anyway, and I wanted to have something on hand for her, just in case. In non-pandemic times, she plays games with a small group of friends, and I think she will appreciate the thematic relevance of this choice. We actually own this game ourselves, as well, but we haven't played it yet.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Storygirl said:

7 Wonders Duel -- will be for DH for Christmas. We own and enjoy 7 Wonders, but it's awkward to play with just two people, and sometimes the kids don't want to join us, so I think the Duel version will be nice to own.

We have Duel and really like it. We've had 7 Wonders for a long time and it's a quick and easy game but do agree that with 2 people it's awkward. Duel is different enough from 7 Wonders that it's interesting and is a good challenge to play. I hope that you enjoy it!

• Like 2

We are big fans of the show Orphan Black, so I ordered this game:  https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/228903/orphan-black-clone-club

It’s quick to play and the rules are simple. Other than the name and the photos of the characters, it has nothing to do with the show, but we are still really enjoying it. We even discussed the fact that dd20 would have easily played and enjoyed it at 5-6 because there is no reading involved, just strategy. 

• Like 1

I picked up Exploding Kittens just because I've seen it mentioned so much on this board--I don't know too much about it! But the name alone suits one of my dds.

I guess we're not huge game players. We return to Ticket to Ride time and again because it's not stressful. We have the Europe version too, but it's a little more stressful with the tunnels and stations! It's not really stressful at all, just relative to the original version.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Yesterday, I bought Codenames which @kokotgmentioned above. I think my husband (which means me) will be the lucky recipient.

Regards,

Kareni

I was reading this thread yesterday and realized there were zero games under our tree so I purchased Codenames and Push.  We may open them early since we've been quarantining and it looks like our Christmas school break will start early!  Thanks for the recommendations!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JanOH said:

I was reading this thread yesterday and realized there were zero games under our tree so I purchased Codenames and Push.  We may open them early since we've been quarantining and it looks like our Christmas school break will start early!  Thanks for the recommendations!

I hope they'll prove to be lots of fun!

Regards,

Kareni

On 12/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, rebcoola said:

Our newest game that we are giving everyone is Poetry for neanderthals.  A guessing game where you can't use any words with more than one syllable or you get bonked on the head with an inflatable club.

My kids will love this.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I just impulse purchased a poker set and some cute stress toys for prizes.  I guess we're going to learn to play Poker.Â đŸ˜†Â I need a chart or a video.  I haven't played poker in 20 years. We NEED a non-screen activity we can all do together at home that isn't eating. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 9:31 AM, plansrme said:

We got a game called Concept we really enjoy playing.

We split up into two teams -- but honestly its just fun trying to figure out how to get the concept across and trying to guess the concept being illustrated.

AmazonSmile: Concept: Toys & Games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vonfirmath said:

We split up into two teams -- but honestly its just fun trying to figure out how to get the concept across and trying to guess the concept being illustrated.

We really like that one too.  We don't bother with points or winning.  I agree that just trying to figure out how to get the concept across is really fun. 

• Like 2

If Spoons appeals, how about an old classic like Pit? Just be sure to either get an edition with a bell, or get your own bell. (The best way to play is to try to win for a few hands, then around round 4 or 5, focus on getting one of each card so nobody else can complete their hand. Sit back and watch them go in circles!)

• Like 4

My DD gifted herself a set if 3 Jig Saw Puzzles on KickStarter.com last June. Each puzzle has 1000 pieces. She was one of the "sponsors" or whatever they call it of the new product.  They were overwhelmed with orders and the expected October 2020 delivery slipped to December 2020.  Her package arrived at our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami (via FedEx) last Monday (today is Monday, December 14th).  She hasn't seen them yet but here is some information.  The set of 3 puzzles was $50 USD and the Shipping was $10 USD,  Total was $60 USD.  

Trying to get into Gmail on the web and there is an issue. I will try to find information in Mozilla Thunderbird...  No joy with Thunderbird either. Gmail is having an Authentication Failure issue this morning.

Well I am sorry I cannot look at the email from KickStarter.com that my DD Forwarded to me and give you more information at this time. The set of puzzles that she sponsored are called "Magic Puzzles" if my memory is correct. Probably those are no longer available (she did that last June when she was in NC) but they have other games available so you can check them out.  Suggestion: Look for items that have receivd far more sponsors than they were looking for when they started the listing on KickStarter.com That would seem to more or less guarantee that they can go into production and produce the product.

Oh, yesterday I prepared the Dispatch information request to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami.  Waiting for something my DW wanted to be delivered to them by USPS, hopefully today, and the 2 items will come in the same carton from Miami to Colombia.

Set of three (3) "Magic Puzzles"   Jig Saw Puzzles.  Rompecabeza

Magic Puzzles
Three 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles with a magical ending.

Value for Customs: $50.00 USD

Value for Insurance: $50.00 USD

(Note: A total of $60.00 USD was paid. There was an additonal $10.00 USD for Shipping)

Sorry I can't givve you more info at this time because of the issue with not being able to access my Gmail account.

It looked very interesting to me, when I read the FAQ for the Magic Puzzles on the KickStarter.com web site. I had no idea about the different issues one faces when trying to bring a product like a Jig Saw puzzle to market.

DD said she also sponsored an Art Book which was also heavily sponsored and that is also delayed and possibly will get to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami in January.  I don'r know what she paid for the book.

I normally use the Google Chrome Browser. I tried it with Mozilla Firefox and it is having the same issue as Chrome so there is something bad that happened to the Google Server my email account is on or the Network going to it now...

ETA: Here's the link on KickStarter.com to the page for the Magic Puzzles:

try

Edited by Lanny
add ETA with link to Magic Puzzle information
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lanny said:

My DD gifted herself a set if 3 Jig Saw Puzzles on KickStarter.com last June. Each puzzle has 1000 pieces. She was one of the "sponsors" or whatever they call it of the new product.  They were overwhelmed with orders and the expected October 2020 delivery slipped to December 2020.  Her package arrived at our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami (via FedEx) last Monday (today is Monday, December 14th).  She hasn't seen them yet but here is some information.  The set of 3 puzzles was $50 USD and the Shipping was $10 USD,  Total was $60 USD.  

Trying to get into Gmail on the web and there is an issue. I will try to find information in Mozilla Thunderbird...  No joy with Thunderbird either. Gmail is having an Authentication Failure issue this morning.

Well I am sorry I cannot look at the email from KickStarter.com that my DD Forwarded to me and give you more information at this time. The set of puzzles that she sponsored are called "Magic Puzzles" if my memory is correct. Probably those are no longer available (she did that last June when she was in NC) but they have other games available so you can check them out.  Suggestion: Look for items that have receivd far more sponsors than they were looking for when they started the listing on KickStarter.com That would seem to more or less guarantee that they can go into production and produce the product.

Oh, yesterday I prepared the Dispatch information request to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami.  Waiting for something my DW wanted to be delivered to them by USPS, hopefully today, and the 2 items will come in the same carton from Miami to Colombia.

Set of three (3) "Magic Puzzles"   Jig Saw Puzzles.  Rompecabeza

Magic Puzzles
Three 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles with a magical ending.

Value for Customs: $50.00 USD

Value for Insurance: $50.00 USD

(Note: A total of $60.00 USD was paid. There was an additonal $10.00 USD for Shipping)

Sorry I can't givve you more info at this time because of the issue with not being able to access my Gmail account.

It looked very interesting to me, when I read the FAQ for the Magic Puzzles on the KickStarter.com web site. I had no idea about the different issues one faces when trying to bring a product like a Jig Saw puzzle to market.

DD said she also sponsored an Art Book which was also heavily sponsored and that is also delayed and possibly will get to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami in January.  I don'r know what she paid for the book.

I normally use the Google Chrome Browser. I tried it with Mozilla Firefox and it is having the same issue as Chrome so there is something bad that happened to the Google Server my email account is on or the Network going to it now...

try

I had problems getting to gmail this am too. It's working now (contacts still wonky)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

This looks great, and I am also ordering it today. I've been previewing some of the other games I've ordered, and the rules seem so--unnecessarily complicated, maybe? For a real board game fan, of which there are several in my family, I'm sure that is part of the appeal and that they will be all over the more complicated games. If I am going to play, though, and I am, I want to jump right in and play. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just impulse purchased a poker set and some cute stress toys for prizes.  I guess we're going to learn to play Poker.Â đŸ˜†Â I need a chart or a video.  I haven't played poker in 20 years. We NEED a non-screen activity we can all do together at home that isn't eating. 

My husband used to have a neighborhood poker group that played about once a month, and he LOVED it. I have begged him to teach my now-young adult kids and their friends. Maybe if I offer to play as well, he'll do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, plansrme said:

This looks great, and I am also ordering it today. I've been previewing some of the other games I've ordered, and the rules seem so--unnecessarily complicated, maybe? For a real board game fan, of which there are several in my family, I'm sure that is part of the appeal and that they will be all over the more complicated games. If I am going to play, though, and I am, I want to jump right in and play. 

The over complicated rules are because some games players are rules lawyers who will nitpick rules so game designers try to figure it all out ahead of arguments around the game table.

Or you can play Fluxx, that starts off simple and adds rules as you go along (and play cards)

• Like 2