Menu

The Vaccine Thread

JennyD

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, probably prestige. The desire not to lose face? I dunno. 

That would be a motivating factor for sure.  Plus probably just the desperate need for some solution even if it’s not a perfect solution.  Because moderna/Pfizer are going to be too hard/expensive for most of the world sadly.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

I've been really surprised and dismayed by how disorganized their trials seem to have been and how non-transparent they have been with their data. I guess I naively thought the Oxford/AZ trials would be the most... academic? intellectually honest? least motivated by money? I was initially very skeptical of Moderna, whose execs were sending out super positive (but largely data-free) press releases over the summer and then selling off millions of dollars in stock when the share price jumped. But in the end their trials, and Pfizer's, seem to have been very well designed and well run and they have been pretty transparent with their data, while the Oxford/AZ trials seem to have been a total mess and they are being really shady about their results, despite the fact that it was supposed to be a nonprofit endeavor, with a pledge to sell the vaccine at cost.

I would love to know what the deal is there — do they just not want to admit they screwed up? Do they not have the funding for additional, better designed trials? Is the UK just desperate for access to a large volume of a cheap, easily administered vaccines, even if they are not nearly as effective as other options? 

I think one part is they are running trials in different parts of the world and don’t seem to be integrating the data very well or separating it very well.  It was a while ago but I remember on coronacast they talked about the fact that typically phase 2 is where trials spend a lot of time fine tuning dosage and timing but because they shortened/rushed phase two this didn’t get as much tweaking to get right so that’s why the hiccoughs are still going in phase 3.  The others may have just been somewhat lucky that it worked and it may just be that the rna vaccines are going to be heaps easier to develop and roll out faster in the future (which would be fabulous given how many health people are saying we will have another pandemic after this one most likely).

• Like 4

Multiple outlets are reporting that an employee of a Wisconsin hospital intentionally left 57 vials of the Moderna vaccine -- containing ~500 doses -- out of refrigeration, which required them to be discarded unused.  The employee has been fired.  From Forbes:

Wisconsin Hospital Employee Fired After 500 Moderna Vaccine Doses Discarded

A Wisconsin hospital employee was fired after intentionally discarding “more than 500 doses” of Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine from a pharmacy refrigerator, the parent health system of the facility confirmed Wednesday night.

Advocate Aurora Health said the “appropriate authorities” have been notified after an employee at the health system’s Grafton, Wis. hospital discarded the dosages of the vaccine made by Moderna. Initially, the hospital said it was led to believe the employee’s actions were “human error,” but further investigation revealed another story.

“Earlier this week, we learned that 57 vials of Moderna vaccine were removed from a pharmacy refrigerator at Aurora Medical Center - Grafton overnight, resulting in more than 500 doses of vaccine being discarded,” Advocate Aurora Health, the parent of the Grafton, Wis, hospital said. “We immediately launched an internal review and were led to believe this was caused by inadvertent human error. The individual in question today acknowledged that they intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration.”

Johns Hopkins published a good piece last week about Science in the face of fear: a commentary on vaccine hesitancy and public trust.  There's a lot in there.

While it is great news that we have multiple vaccines, much earlier than those in the field realistically hoped for, much more efficacious than the FDA had planned for... it's going to be a hard road back to anything approximating Normal.

Approximately 1M doses got into arms over the last week.  To get to ~80% immunity by July (and ~80% is what experts are now saying will be needed with a new more contagious strain moving around America) we would need to get 3.5M doses into arms EVERY DAY.

And if what we're up against is not just HCW and first responders declining the vaccine... but people in hospitals actually sabotaging and ruining scarce and precious vaccine...

... very hard to see how The Economy!!! is going to be restored.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

This morning (31 December 2020) I read an article on the web site of the largest newspaper here in Cali. Colombia about one of the COVID-19 vaccines the Colombian government is going to buy. It is made and/or sold by Jannsen, which is apparently an affiliate or subsidiary of Johnson and Johnson.

I think I had read a few months ago they were doing part of the testing here in Cali.

The most interesting thing to me is that it only requires one (1) injection.

I have no idea how effective it is or is not within the general population or elderly population.

The government here is going to buy that for 9 million people. They believe it will take approximately 70% to have "herd immunity"

This is the URL and the article is in Spanish:

https://www.elpais.com.co/ultimo-minuto/duque-anuncia-la-adquisicion-de-9-millones-de-vacunas-contra-el-covid-19-de-janssen.html

• Like 2

My parents got an appointment to get vaccinated January 29th! SO excited and happy for them! They are both high risk - with mymother VERY high risk, so this is wonderful. The phone lines to get an appointment were busy and they couldn't get through, and the websites kept crashing, but my dad was relentless and got them appointments! There are now no appointments left, so they got them in the nick of time. 

• Like 20

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My parents got an appointment to get vaccinated January 29th! SO excited and happy for them! They are both high risk - with mymother VERY high risk, so this is wonderful. The phone lines to get an appointment were busy and they couldn't get through, and the websites kept crashing, but my dad was relentless and got them appointments! There are now no appointments left, so they got them in the nick of time. 

Yay!!!! So exciting!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Multiple outlets are reporting that an employee of a Wisconsin hospital intentionally left 57 vials of the Moderna vaccine -- containing ~500 doses -- out of refrigeration, which required them to be discarded unused.  The employee has been fired.  From Forbes:

Johns Hopkins published a good piece last week about Science in the face of fear: a commentary on vaccine hesitancy and public trust.  There's a lot in there.

While it is great news that we have multiple vaccines, much earlier than those in the field realistically hoped for, much more efficacious than the FDA had planned for... it's going to be a hard road back to anything approximating Normal.

Approximately 1M doses got into arms over the last week.  To get to ~80% immunity by July (and ~80% is what experts are now saying will be needed with a new more contagious strain moving around America) we would need to get 3.5M doses into arms EVERY DAY.

And if what we're up against is not just HCW and first responders declining the vaccine... but people in hospitals actually sabotaging and ruining scarce and precious vaccine...

... very hard to see how The Economy!!! is going to be restored.

Good article. thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Teachers just got pushed down on the list in Georgia, as the governor is moving everyone over 65 and first responders into the 1A group (teachers are 1B). I don't begrudge seniors and firefighters their vaccines (and I'm very glad this means my 67 year old mother will be able to get it soon), but seems like maybe the governor could also do SOMETHING to protect teachers while asking them to wait indefinitely...at the very least a statewide mask requirement for schools. A teacher in a neighboring county--in his 40s I believe-- just died of covid on Christmas. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

The guy who destroyed the 570 doses of Moderna vaccine has been arrested and charged with multiple felonies. The 46 year old pharmacist not only intentionally left the vaccine unrefrigerated overnight, he did it twice — which means that even the doses they thought they had saved by giving the shots within the 12-hour window were ineffective and those people will need to be revaccinated. 

“Grafton detectives indicate that the individual knew the spoiled vaccinations would be useless and that people who received the vaccinations would think they had been vaccinated against the virus when in fact they were not,” according to the police department press release.

That's pretty twisted. 😡 It makes me wonder if his motivation wasn't just general antivaxx stuff, but rather specifically about increasing the odds of illness and death among fellow coworkers — maybe some sort of personal vendetta? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

On 12/30/2020 at 5:54 PM, RootAnn said:

I'm surprised there haven't been more stories about having to toss out Pfizer vaccine doses that haven't been used in the 5 days after removing them from super cold storage. It takes a lot of coordination to get all of them used quickly.

I am wondering if there will be stories about having to toss out the ones that have reached their super cold shelf life (30 days) because the US hasn't moved quickly enough to use their supplies.

This opinion piece talks about wastage due to poor organisation 

We Came All This Way to Let Vaccines Go Bad in the Freezer? https://nyti.ms/3hzkEVi

Screenshot_20210101-103619_NYTimes.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

The guy who destroyed the 570 doses of Moderna vaccine has been arrested and charged with multiple felonies. The 46 year old pharmacist not only intentionally left the vaccine unrefrigerated overnight, he did it twice — which means that even the doses they thought they had saved by giving the shots within the 12-hour window were ineffective and those people will need to be revaccinated. 

“Grafton detectives indicate that the individual knew the spoiled vaccinations would be useless and that people who received the vaccinations would think they had been vaccinated against the virus when in fact they were not,” according to the police department press release.

That's pretty twisted. 😡 It makes me wonder if his motivation wasn't just general antivaxx stuff, but rather specifically about increasing the odds of illness and death among fellow coworkers — maybe some sort of personal vendetta? 

So bizarre.  Just fortunate that the spoiled vaccine is not likely to be actively harmful only passively in the sense that people will think it was working and wasn’t.  Imagine how much more fear of getting the vaccination that would have added. 

39 minutes ago, kand said:

Yikes. Good point and good point. It would need to happen now with the current administration to have any hope of as many people getting it as needed. 

i’ve been seeing there’s a lot of debate among virus scientist about whether they need to change the strategy to getting first doses out to more people rather than giving people their second doses on time. It looks like there is no consensus yet which way would be better. If the UK variant really does spread 50% faster, everything becomes more urgent and it might make sense to decrease transmission with more first doses first. Ugh. What a decision to have to make though. Scientifically, it doesn’t seem the way to go, but practically, maybe it does.  I wish we could just be getting the vaccine out quickly. 

I wonder if Pfizer’s warning about supply issues is somewhat just to say hey if you roll out all your vaccine as first doses we really can’t guarantee you a second?

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

I wonder if the follow up doses have to be given *exactly* at the specified interval, or if they can be stretched to 6-8 weeks? 

I imagine that there’s a storage issue, too - how much space is taken by having to hold (in cold storage) the second doses? It’s certainly a logistical challenge. However, seems like if they could get shots administered faster, the storage issues would be a lesser problem. 

I saw one of the Twitter scientist comment on this this morning.  I can’t remember the exact field but related.  But they said typically longer than six to eight weeks between doses is best for protection and there’s no reason to think it will be different with mRNA Vaccines.  It’s just that it hasn’t been studied that way yet.  

edited to add I think the same guy is quoted here

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3867521001?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I saw one of the Twitter scientist comment on this this morning.  I can’t remember the exact field but related.  But they said typically longer than six to eight weeks between doses is best for protection and there’s no reason to think it will be different with mRNA Vaccines.  It’s just that it hasn’t been studied that way yet.  

That's a really interesting point. I wonder if the decision to do the second dose at 3-4 weeks, instead of 6-8 weeks, was mainly about getting the trials done as quickly as possible, and not because it was actually the optimal — or even most practical — time frame. I think the AZ vaccine allows the second dose up to 12 weeks later.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

That's a really interesting point. I wonder if the decision to do the second dose at 3-4 weeks, instead of 6-8 weeks, was mainly about getting the trials done as quickly as possible, and not because it was actually the optimal — or even most practical — time frame. I think the AZ vaccine allows the second dose up to 12 weeks later.

Yes quite likely because of the urgency of the roll out.  Although purely in terms of personal protection obviously getting from that 50pc to 90 pc as quickly as possible is probably desirable if you’re in a high risk area/category.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:37 AM, Seasider too said:

I personally think they need to deploy military medical units to facilitate speedy vaccination, but I imagine nobody wants to be on the critical end of those optics. 

I contacted my local Air Force base to ask when they would begin the phase 1B rollout and was told they were hoping it would be in the next 2-3 months. There are some local hospitals who have already rolled out phase 1B, so I don't know why the military would be so far behind. So I'm not sure deploying the military would be any faster.

(I realize there are many more military personnel than hospital personnel, but wouldn't that also mean there would be more military people to give the vaccine as well? So I wonder if the hold up is how many vaccines they received. I just realized I don't actually know where on the schedule the military is to know how quickly they would be vaccinated. It could be that instead of seeing the military as a group, it's seen as individuals who need to follow the same schedule as Joe Schmo.

18 hours ago, kand said:

i’ve been seeing there’s a lot of debate among virus scientist about whether they need to change the strategy to getting first doses out to more people rather than giving people their second doses on time. It looks like there is no consensus yet which way would be better. If the UK variant really does spread 50% faster, everything becomes more urgent and it might make sense to decrease transmission with more first doses first. Ugh. What a decision to have to make though. Scientifically, it doesn’t seem the way to go, but practically, maybe it does.  I wish we could just be getting the vaccine out quickly. 

I've wondered if those who have already received their first dose will have to compete with others getting their first dose in order to get their second dose. It sure would be nice if we could make a second appt and know when we would be getting the second dose. I would also think it would be easier to plan for in terms of ordering enough vaccine and scheduling personnel to administer the vaccine.

1 hour ago, Wilrunner3 said:

I've wondered if those who have already received their first dose will have to compete with others getting their first dose in order to get their second dose. It sure would be nice if we could make a second appt and know when we would be getting the second dose. I would also think it would be easier to plan for in terms of ordering enough vaccine and scheduling personnel to administer the vaccine.

My husband’s hospital is doing it this way. Right after they got their first shot, they were given an appointment for the second shot. They are anticipating stronger side effects with the second dose, so are requiring everyone to get it when they have at least two days off afterwards.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

3. Ds19 is type one diabetic.   Some people say diabetics are first lines, while some say it's type 2 diabetics.  Anyone know?

This might be state dependent. In Texas, Type 2 diabetes falls under phase 1B. Some groups giving the vaccine in my city are still in phase 1A while others are in 1B. 

Phase 1A

Phase 1B

Edited by wilrunner
added links
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frances said:

My husband’s hospital is doing it this way. Right after they got their first shot, they were given an appointment for the second shot. They are anticipating stronger side effects with the second dose, so are requiring everyone to get it when they have at least two days off afterwards.

This seems like the best, most organized way to do it. I have an appt in a week to get the vaccine and am curious whether I will receive a 2nd appt at that time. I hope so!

I didn't realize there are stronger side effects with the second dose. Which vaccine does your dh's hospital have?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Frances said:

Here too.  An appointment for your second dose is made for you while you are getting your first dose.  Package deal.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wilrunner3 said:

This seems like the best, most organized way to do it. I have an appt in a week to get the vaccine and am curious whether I will receive a 2nd appt at that time. I hope so!

I didn't realize there are stronger side effects with the second dose. Which vaccine does your dh's hospital have?

Pfizer. I don’t really know if there are stronger side effects with the second dose, I’m just relaying what he was told. He explained to me why it makes sense, but I don’t have the science background to explain it here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilrunner3 said:

I looked at Pfizer's data a couple of weeks ago and from what I remember the incidence of reported side effects from the second shot were higher. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

bless your heart.  you were making the statement that everyone against the vaccine were antivaxxers.  that was an incorrect statement.

No, I wasn't. I said that we have lots of anti-vaxxers and therefore we are likely to have very low compliance in the homeschool community, and I was asking for suggestions for how to deal with this. I said nothing about there being NO valid reason to be hesitant about this specific vaccine. 

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/43118412/first-on-3-health-officials-hand-out-covid19-vaccines-to-close-contacts-hours-after-qualified-citizens-were-turned-away

It's unbelievable that the vaccine rollout would end up being just as much of a cluster#$%& as testing, tracing, and pretty much every other aspect of fighting this pandemic that required even a modicum of organization and planning. Or maybe "unbelievable" is the wrong word — unconscionable? inexcusable? indefensible?

Hamilton County, TN, announced that anyone over 75 could come get vaccinated, no appointment necessary.  Who could possibly anticipate that this would cause massive traffic jams or that more people might show up than they could accommodate???

Elderly people waited up to FIVE HOURS before being turned away due to "insufficient supply"  — and then a few hours later, staff were calling their friends and family to come get vaccinated because they had lots left over. Reporters asked a carload of 7 people if all of them had gotten vaccinated and they laughed and said "yeah, we have connections!" The woman who waited in line for 5 hours with her 94 year old mother, only to be turned away, called it "a slap in the face." 

• Like 1
  • Sad 16

2 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/43118412/first-on-3-health-officials-hand-out-covid19-vaccines-to-close-contacts-hours-after-qualified-citizens-were-turned-away

It's unbelievable that the vaccine rollout would end up being just as much of a cluster#$%& as testing, tracing, and pretty much every other aspect of fighting this pandemic that required even a modicum of organization and planning. Or maybe "unbelievable" is the wrong word — unconscionable? inexcusable? indefensible?

Hamilton County, TN, announced that anyone over 75 could come get vaccinated, no appointment necessary.  Who could possibly anticipate that this would cause massive traffic jams or that more people might show up than they could accommodate???

Elderly people waited up to FIVE HOURS before being turned away due to "insufficient supply"  — and then a few hours later, staff were calling their friends and family to come get vaccinated because they had lots left over. Reporters asked a carload of 7 people if all of them had gotten vaccinated and they laughed and said "yeah, we have connections!" The woman who waited in line for 5 hours with her 94 year old mother, only to be turned away, called it "a slap in the face." 

It's almost like there's a REASON we have a federal government, and that this government probably has vastly more practice with logistics than individual states, and perhaps we should have used all this expertise! 

... of course, if we were going to do that, we should have perhaps used their public health expertise, or their expertise with obtaining equipment, or their expertise at communicating to the population, or... 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

And gee...maybe the most elderly and at risk are the least able to show up and wait on the street for hours (I saw some people quoted as waiting 8-9 hours!). 

41 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And gee...maybe the most elderly and at risk are the least able to show up and wait on the street for hours (I saw some people quoted as waiting 8-9 hours!). 

In Hamilton County, at least most people were in cars, while traffic was backed up for miles. But in other parts of TN, hundreds of elderly waited outside in the cold for hours. Who the hell is handling the logistics for this, Mr Bean???

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 7.00.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 7.02.45 PM.png

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, Frances said:

Pfizer. I don’t really know if there are stronger side effects with the second dose, I’m just relaying what he was told. He explained to me why it makes sense, but I don’t have the science background to explain it here.

The Pfizer research doc had stronger side effects on the second dose though.  I was going to comment on the op but got sidetracked 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Y'all, please forgive me, but I can't read this whole thread right now (migraine meds have me loopy), so if this has been covered, I'm sorry! 

1.  Is this vaccine supposed to be a yearly thing, like the flu shot?  

2. Also, is it like the flu shot, where it doesn't necessarily keep you from getting it, but it is supposed to keep it from being a severe case?

3. Ds19 is type one diabetic.   Some people say diabetics are first lines, while some say it's type 2 diabetics.  Anyone know?  

Currently unknown.  We know we get some immunity but we don’t know how long it lasts.  We know the virus mutates but we don’t know whether it will mutate around the vaccine.  The faster everyone gets vaccinated the less chance of that happening.  

They’re not sure yet whether it’s just preventing symptomatic Covid or whether it stops you getting it completely.

i don’t know about the diabetes part sorry.

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

In case you caught the previous NYT article - BBC News - Coronavirus: BMJ urges NYT to correct vaccine 'mixing' article
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55519042

It seems irresponsible to have a misleading headline like that. Hopefully they correct it, though undoubtedly someone here in the US will see the headline, think if the UK is mixing them, then it must be ok. 😕

Is the Pfizer vaccine the same in the UK as in the US? If so, it's interesting to me that the wait times are so different. 3 weeks between doses in the US and, according to the article, 12 weeks in the UK. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wilrunner3 said:

It seems irresponsible to have a misleading headline like that. Hopefully they correct it, though undoubtedly someone here in the US will see the headline, think if the UK is mixing them, then it must be ok. 😕

Is the Pfizer vaccine the same in the UK as in the US? If so, it's interesting to me that the wait times are so different. 3 weeks between doses in the US and, according to the article, 12 weeks in the UK. 

This is the rationale 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-55503739

Memphis area is doing multiple sites, with appointments scheduled online. I haven't seen long lines here at all (one of them is close enough to my house that I can find excuses to check it out). They did medical personnel connected with hospitals and long term care facilities, as well as LTC residents, at the facilities where possible, and I think the plan is to continue at worksites as they move to vaccinating other groups, so the sites are mostly those with health conditions or in the age group covered, and they can space it out. 

• Like 4

I haven't even been following this thread, but I just read that in the state bordering mine, they have begun vaccinating people 75 an older! I felt so encouraged. I hope it's the same with my state soon. My Dad would be in this category! I've been so worried for him. Unfortunately, my mom is a bit younger. 😭I miss them so much. Are they vaccinating over 75 where you live yet?

• Like 2

The county health department, like I said is out of appointments. There's a health group that's also distributing and I was able to finally get through to them today. It wasn't to schedule the vaccine but to leave my info so they can call me back and schedule it. At least that's farther than I got with the health dept. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Are they vaccinating over 75 where you live yet?

My county health department just opened up their portal at 10:00 this morning. People 75 and older can register online for an appointment to receive the vaccine. I only know this because I saw an article about it on a local news station's website. No mention was made in the article of other counties in our area doing it yet, it was specifically about the county I'm in. So I assume it's not widespread yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

My county health department just opened up their portal at 10:00 this morning. People 75 and older can register online for an appointment to receive the vaccine. I only know this because I saw an article about it on a local news station's website. No mention was made in the article of other counties in our area doing it yet, it was specifically about the county I'm in. So I assume it's not widespread yet.

My parent's county (Sto...) put out the word on their FB (!) page to sign up though email or phone calls.  So I emailed and will throw in a phone call too today.

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/03/its-time-consider-delaying-second-dose-coronavirus-vaccine/

I have real misgivings about this, given that it's completely untested, and obviously, I think the million dollar question would be how fast can more doses be created?  It might make a huge difference if people were waiting 8-12 weeks between doses versus six months.  

But things seem dire enough that maybe it's worth consideration and some modeling?  

I guess the other concern would be if delayed vaccination would increase the likelihood of mutations to the spike protein?  I dunno.  

Edited by Terabith