Menu

Prayers for peace

MercyA

Would anyone like to join me in praying for peace over the next month? Please check in daily or whenever you are able. 

"Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them."

All are welcome. 

I'll start. 

Father God, we do not as a nation deserve your blessing. We ask that in your abundance of mercy you preserve peace in our land. 

ETA: Don't feel you need to be formal. Just "praying" or whatever you want to say will be wonderful and appreciated.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Yes, I will pray!  God, I know you love every single person on this planet, and desire the very best for everyone.  Help us to not see people as our enemy, but all the things that bring about hate, poverty, fear, neglect, loneliness, deceitfulness, and so on.  Help us be people of loving kindness who can cross barriers and help bring peace.

• Like 9

Lord God, You know all things and in You, all things hold together. You are sovereign, You are holy, and You are good.  Lord, help us to believe and say, like the Psalmist, "You are good and do good." Help us to cling to You when the storms come. Help us to speak peace into a the chaos around us.  Lord, help us to take Your yoke upon us and learn of You, for You are gentle and humble in heart, and we will find rest for our souls.  Lord help us to worship only You and to walk in full dependence on You.  Help us to believe You are for us, and that whatever trials You allow will somehow bring glory to Yourself. We are weak, Lord. Be our strength. We long for the day when You will come and make all things right. Until then, equip us by Your Spirit to surrender our plans, our hopes, our fears, our bodies, even our very lives to You, for You are worthy, and we worship You.  Give us of Your peace this day, and every day, until You call us home.  In the name of Jesus we pray, Amen. 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 10

Thank you for posting this. These Scriptures have been in my prayers: 

"But let justice roll down like waters And righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.” Amos 5:24

“First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.”  1Timothy 2:1-2

• Like 9

Yes!

May the Peace of the Lord which passes all understanding be with each and every one of us: peace in our hearts, peace in our minds, peace in our bodies, peace in our souls, peace before us, peace behind us, peace beside us, peace in each footstep, peace in what we say, peace in what we do, peace in our thoughts, and peace in the world all around us, peace be with us all, everywhere, and always. 

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Honestly, I will pray but don't think it will do any good. We have sowed all of this. So...God rescues us from our horrible choices so we can go on making horrible choices???  I think his patience has run out with us.  Just looking for ways to help extend mercy and help where I can.  But our country is heading for destruction no matter what political party wins.  I just can't think about it because it gets me depressed.  Our sins on both political parties, as groups, as individuals....  Lord have mercy on all of us.  Lord Jesus come quickly or may I go see you quickly as I don't want to witness anymore disintegration. 

I think this is the perfect place to start!  This is how change begins to happen.  I think God depends on us to get things done.

And fortunately, in the end, our hope is in the Lord, not in our country's government.

• Like 4

On 10/13/2020 at 8:56 AM, Happymomof1 said:

Honestly, I will pray but don't think it will do any good. We have sowed all of this. So...God rescues us from our horrible choices so we can go on making horrible choices???  I think his patience has run out with us.  Just looking for ways to help extend mercy and help where I can.  But our country is heading for destruction no matter what political party wins.  I just can't think about it because it gets me depressed.  Our sins on both political parties, as groups, as individuals....  Lord have mercy on all of us.  Lord Jesus come quickly or may I go see you quickly as I don't want to witness anymore disintegration. 

Agreed. We deserve judgment, not blessing, but we see time and time again that God is moved by the prayers of His people and may yet have mercy.  

"Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance."

I think your approach is excellent. Do what we can to help others and show love. "Work while it is day." 

Many image.png.5ea1cf3f6b82688b06029efb333c57b8.png to you.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

From the Book of Common Prayer (1928), a prayer for our country. Still very applicable. 

Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage; We humbly beseech thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of thy favour and glad to do thy will. Bless our land with honourable industry, sound learning, and pure manners. Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogancy, and from every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people the multitudes brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endue with the spirit of wisdom those to whom in thy Name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to thy law, we may show forth thy praise among the nations of the earth. In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in thee to fail; all which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

• Like 4

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

St. Francis of Assisi

Keep praying, all. 

• Like 4

Thank you for praying, my friends. ❤️

"I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life." I Timothy 2:1-2A

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

A Mennonite prayer for peace:

Ever present God,

In the midst of deep pain and brokenness from a world gone wrong,

In the context of warring within and between peoples,

In a dynamic of corporate and political greed and power ...

We ask for forgiveness for our complicity,

For redemption opening the way to a better future,

And for healing making possible a healthier now. Amen.

Rev. Brian Martin-Burkholder, Harrisonburg, Virginia

• Like 2

I am feeling discouraged tonight about willful ignorance. It is one thing for people to be ignorant through no fault of their own. It is another for people to deliberately decide to not to seek out information, to deliberately reject hearing all views but "their side," to deliberately stick their head in the sand.

But, I remember that there have been many times when I have deliberately done wrong and been wrong. And God still had mercy and has mercy on me. 

So I am praying for our nation tonight, not only that God would open eyes--including my own, wherever my blind spots may be--but that in His mercy He would keep us from war and violence. 

Please keep praying.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 9

A prayer from Clement of Rome:

We beseech thee, Master, to be our helper and protector.
Save the afflicted among us; have mercy on the lowly;
raise up the fallen; appear to the needy; heal the ungodly;
restore the wanderers of thy people;
feed the hungry; ransom our prisoners;
raise up the sick; comfort the faint-hearted.

God have mercy on our country and keep us in peace and safety.

• Like 7

Almighty and everlasting God, who healest us by chastening, and preservest us by pardoning; grant unto Thy suppliants, that we may both rejoice in the comfort of the tranquillity which we desired, and also use the gift of Thy peace for the effectual amendment of our lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Leonine Sacramentary

❤️ to all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

Lord,

Our country needs to be judged. I am sorry for our arrogance. I'm sorry for our lack of compassion. You don't need me or America for your will to be done. Let justice roll down. 

Amen

I agree with all the above, but God has been so merciful to me when I haven't deserved it. Praying for mercy for the country as well.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Lord, have mercy, and grant us freedom from violence and war.

Please keep praying, all.

I'm not feeling well physically and am going to take a forum break for a couple days. ❤️

Feel better soon!!!

I send you this link to Vaughan Williams hymn For All the Saints.  In case it would be uplifting during feeling unwell.  

https://youtu.be/ILGCrcmDKtI

https://youtu.be/ILGCrcmDKtI

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind words! I am feeling much better. It was a reaction to an antibiotic. I'm all good.

I feel like everything going on in this country is just surreal. I am so grateful that God sees all, knows all, and hears our prayers. 

Lord God, please protect the people of this country and around the world from violence today and in the months to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul,
    'therefore I will hope in him.'"

Lamentations 3:22-24

Praying for peace.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2020 at 6:22 AM, Happymomof1 said:

Lord,

Our country needs to be judged. I am sorry for our arrogance. I'm sorry for our lack of compassion. You don't need me or America for your will to be done. Let justice roll down. 

Amen

Of course, but by this standard, every country needs to be judged.  No exceptions. 

God needs no one, but He has asked us to pray without ceasing, and I will pray for His mercy to roll down.

Psalm 103:8  The Lord (is) merciful and gracious,  Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy.

• Like 3

As I was praying today, I felt renewed in my calling to seek truth in Him and alleviate suffering where ever I find it. 

I also felt peace as God reminds me that our hope is not in a candidate or a government. Our hope is solely in Christ in whom..."Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Psalm 85:10

I truly believe that I can rest in God's providence. I'm not afraid. 

ETA something a friend shared with me today.

John Newton 300 years ago commented on the state of his country, England. It clearly has relevance today. May we be in a spirit of repentance & prayer! God have mercy!
"The whole system of my politics is summed up in this one verse, "The Lord reigns! Let the nations tremble!" Psalm 99:1
"The times look awfully dark indeed; and as the clouds grow thicker--the stupidity of the nation seems proportionally to increase. If the Lord had not a remnant here, I would have very formidable apprehensions. But He loves His children; some are sighing and mourning before Him, and I am sure He hears their sighs, and sees their tears. I trust there is mercy in store for us at the bottom; but I expect a shaking time before things get into a right channel--before we are humbled, and are taught to give Him the glory.
The state of the nation, the state of the churches--both are deplorable! Those who should be praying--are disputing and fighting among themselves! Alas! how many professors are more concerned for the mistakes of government--than for their own sins"! -- John Newton
Edited by popmom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1