Menu

Sad About Chris Chistie

Lecka

I often watch ABC This Week (Sunday morning news show) on Sunday afternoons on Hulu — it has the ABC morning show and Fox’s with Chris Wallace.

Watching Rahm Emanuel and Chris Christie debate each other is usually my favorite!  They are both regular guests in the panel discussion.  

He is in the hospital now and I hope he will be okay!!!!!  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 4

Yeah...I hope this isn’t the wrong thing to say but that big belly really concerns me for his outcomes. The strain on his heart, lungs and diaphragm is bound to be exacerbated. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The official line is that the hospitalization is precautionary due to his asthma. But the weight has to be a concern.

But I have to add, and I don't mean to be political or snarky, but -- It's too bad everyone who has Covid isn't privileged enough to be able to get hospital care as a precaution. Sigh.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 13

9 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The official line is that the hospitalization is precautionary due to his asthma. But the weight has to be a concern.

But I have to add, and I don't mean to be political or snarky, but -- It's too bad everyone who has Covid isn't privileged enough to be able to get hospital care as a precaution. Sigh.

I feel that. The inequality for famous people vs the general population is pretty galling. 

I say that with no ill intentions to anyone famous undergoing treatment. 

Even just the ability to miss work is a big deal for people who are not famous. 

• Like 22

33 minutes ago, Quill said:

I feel that. The inequality for famous people vs the general population is pretty galling. 

I say that with no ill intentions to anyone famous undergoing treatment. 

Even just the ability to miss work is a big deal for people who are not famous. 

Yes. It's also hugely frustrating, that these people who more than anyone else COULD afford to follow best practices regarding public health, did not. (speaking of ones who KNEW they were a close contact of a person who had tested positive, and yet did NOT quarantine as they are supposed to, thus exposing more people. They have the money and resources to stay isolated more than most people can....and didn't. GRR.)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

I am acutely aware of that, but just sad anyway.  

I have seen pictures showing other people from the White House who have tested positive and I just do not feel any concern about them, I think they will be okay, but I am sad and concerned about Chris Christie and he has been a part of my Sundays ever since we got Hulu.  

It seems like it could have been avoided, but it is too late for that now.  And really -- what an honor to be invited to do debate prep with the President of the United States!  That is a lot to ask someone to turn down in order to be doing the right thing.  But I feel like it is like that for everybody, everybody is either missing out on things that are really a big deal, or taking risks that are going to look stupid in retrospect.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I am acutely aware of that, but just sad anyway.  

I have seen pictures showing other people from the White House who have tested positive and I just do not feel any concern about them, I think they will be okay, but I am sad and concerned about Chris Christie and he has been a part of my Sundays ever since we got Hulu.  

It seems like it could have been avoided, but it is too late for that now.  And really -- what an honor to be invited to do debate prep with the President of the United States!  That is a lot to ask someone to turn down in order to be doing the right thing.  But I feel like it is like that for everybody, everybody is either missing out on things that are really a big deal, or taking risks that are going to look stupid in retrospect.  

Ummm . . . Christie had the opportunity to be Chief of Staff and had no trouble turning that down.

(For those who don't follow politics--he was offered the job after John Kelly.)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Æthelflæd said:

Not to mention that debate prep is a short term commitment whereas Chief of Staff is a potentially long term and lifestyle altering commitment. Not really comparable. 

No, not comparable in many ways. Assisting in debate prep is a very momentary blip in time that won't be remembered in many, if any, history books. Not much of an honor at all compared to C of S.

ETA: I do sincerely wish him well. This is going to sound totally contradictory (aren't we humans complicated creatures?) -- but even though I disagree with most of his political positions, and the aggressive/adversarial attitude he often took when he was governor was a complete turn off to me, I still find him overall a very likeable person. I bet he'd be fun and interesting to be around.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 6

The person I feel really bad for is Chris Wallace. He got more than he signed up for, all of that Monday morning quarterbacking about how he shoulda coulda woulda controlled the debate (without a mute button or a bouncer) and now he's been exposed to Covid too because "the Honor System" didn't work. 

I sincerely hope that no one caught Covid at the debate, but they weren't far enough apart given the shouting and half the audience was unmasked and, now we know, exposed. It's not a great situation.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Yeah. I find Chris Christie likable, too, despite not agreeing with most things he says. I hope he gets well soon. However, it's just so crazy to think that all these people, who are smart and successful, are going to events where they are close together, without masks, and then it's some big surprise when they catch COVID. I wonder what kind of psychology is going on here. 

Especially since it would be a big deal if something really bad happened to one of these people who are in positions of great responsibility.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Yeah, I felt the same thing when reading about celebrities with COVID... back in March and April, I had the impression it was quite hard to get treatment in NYC. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Yeah. I find Chris Christie likable, too, despite not agreeing with most things he says. I hope he gets well soon. However, it's just so crazy to think that all these people, who are smart and successful, are going to events where they are close together, without masks, and then it's some big surprise when they catch COVID. I wonder what kind of psychology is going on here. 

Especially since it would be a big deal if something really bad happened to one of these people who are in positions of great responsibility.

Hubris, mostly. IMNSHO. 

I think there was some false safety among people, since “everyone” was being tested so regularly. 

• Like 6

I think it must be the same personality traits that make people in power think they can get away with crazy affairs and other behavior. And they often do and money makes a lot of problems go away. Maybe it is just ego and they have always been able to be untouched by things regular folks would get hammered by. And they are just SO important they can’t miss a meeting or ceremony or photo op. 

I don’t understand so much about the world the privileged operate in.

• Like 7

I hope Chris Christie makes a full recovery and I understand why he would be in the hospital — he has bad asthma and his weight is a big risk factor as well. He’s also 56 years old, which isn’t a huge risk factor, but isn’t ideal, either. 

But I can’t help but wonder if he thinks back on the comments he made several months ago, when he talked about people dying of Covid. I wonder if he is willing to accept his own death for the sake of the economy.

https://people.com/politics/chris-christie-americans-have-to-accept-thousands-coronavirus-deaths-per-day/

I’m sure he didn’t mean to be callous at the time, but I still remember his remarks because they seemed so unlike him, and I was so disappointed in him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

I think it must be the same personality traits that make people in power think they can get away with crazy affairs and other behavior. And they often do and money makes a lot of problems go away. Maybe it is just ego and they have always been able to be untouched by things regular folks would get hammered by. And they are just SO important they can’t miss a meeting or ceremony or photo op. 

I don’t understand so much about the world the privileged operate in.

There are plenty of “privileged” people who are taking proper precautions regarding Covid. It’s this one particular group that seems to think they are invincible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, I felt the same thing when reading about celebrities with COVID... back in March and April, I had the impression it was quite hard to get treatment in NYC. 

Chris Christie is at his local hospital in Morristown, NJ. I still have a lot of family in the area, and they say that beds are available at the hospital, so it doesn’t seem like Chris is getting particularly special treatment in terms of taking a bed away from a sicker person. Also, his symptoms may be much worse than he’s letting on. He said he was well enough to drive himself to the hospital, but he lives in the next town over, so it’s not like he was in the car for an hour. 

I can understand why his doctor would have wanted him to be admitted, and if beds were available, it was probably a wise choice to make. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Quill said:

I agree. And not just treatment but testing. Sports figures were being tested daily while regular people had to fight to get tested. The disparity is what makes me so angry.

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

Yeah. I find Chris Christie likable, too, despite not agreeing with most things he says.

Yes, he does seem like a likeable person even though I too disagree with him on most everything. I wish him well.

• Like 7

Hospitals here in north Jersey aren't anywhere near capacity at this point in time.  There's something like 2000 beds in Morris County and 150 ICU beds, among 3 or 4 hospitals.  Our numbers are going up, but most of the increase seems to be in the southern counties for now.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

I think it is that you feel above the rules, maybe? I otherwise can't figure it out. I mean, now, today, there is still a plan for people we know were exposed to multiple positive people to go out and campaign. And people we know were exposed giving press conferences, working in the white house, etc. Just...totally ignoring the rules, STILL. 

I just don't know. 

But I am very concerned for Christie, as I also find him usually likeable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

You sleep with dogs, you get fleas. 

I’m sorry for Chris Christie and others in that circle who have contracted CV-19, but what did they expect? Nemesis will always punish hubris.

I hope you are referring only to the political folks here, and not to anyone who gets CV-19.  Sounds a bit like victim blaming.  I know someone VERY close to me who is suffering from this BLASTED illness AND this one sure didn't "sleep with any dogs"!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

There are plenty of “privileged” people who are taking proper precautions regarding Covid. It’s this one particular group that seems to think they are invincible.

I am sorry to hear about Christie in hospital. 
I read a newspaper headline yesterday that said that the positive Covid test results received by those in the president’s inner circle is the “Surprise that many people saw coming”. I tend to agree. I heard that Giuliani was in that long, indoors, maskless debate prep meeting as well and that he was being tested. Hope that he tests negative because he has had health struggles before which might put him at risk.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

Many of you seem to have the belief that:

wearing a mask = no infection, of course

not wearing a mask = inevitable infection, no surprise

You DO realize that a non-N95 mask is, at best, a deterrent and in many cases a fairly worthless one depending on the material used?  

Even a N95 has to be worn perfectly (no leaks) for it to be 95% effective (5% failure rate) in filtering a virus so small. 

I don’t think anyone thinks that way on here; most are very well informed about the virus. I think people are just commenting that it’s not surprising that people not taking (or very rarely) any of the recommended precautions (masking, social distancing, avoiding large gatherings) are getting sick. And of course people who are very careful and follow all of the recommendations still sometime get sick. That goes without saying I would think.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

You DO realize that a non-N95 mask is, at best, a deterrent and in many cases a fairly worthless one depending on the material used?  

Even a N95 has to be worn perfectly (no leaks) for it to be 95% effective (5% failure rate) in filtering a virus so small. 

I don't think it's solely the fact that they don't mask. It's the fact they don't mask coupled with lots (and lots and lots) of up close and personal interactions happening indoors. That's the main way this transmits in my understanding. You are correct, masks aren't 100%. However, they are one of the best tools in our (sadly mostly empty) toolbox against Covid. If you (general you) mask and stay at a distance, your chance of being infected is a heck of a lot lower than hugging someone or sitting in a crowd or mingling at some function. 

Edit to add: just in case it needs saying, some people following the rules will still get sick, as some people not following the rules will stay healthy. There is a random aspect to this as well because it depends on your contact's health.

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, debinindy said:

I hope you are referring only to the political folks here, and not to anyone who gets CV-19.  Sounds a bit like victim blaming.  I know someone VERY close to me who is suffering from this BLASTED illness AND this one sure didn't "sleep with any dogs"!

Huh, I thought it was obvious to whom I was referring when I wrote “Chris Christie and others in that circle.”

I don’t blame innocent victims, some of whom I know, many of whom my family members have treated, of this malady at all. People in positions of power who have a responsibility to protect others? Absolutely I blame them. They are culpable in the death of thousands of people, as are their followers.

And let me add that I am terribly sorry you have a loved one who is ill. I hope s/he recuperates quickly and fully.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I agree. And not just treatment but testing. Sports figures were being tested daily while regular people had to fight to get tested. The disparity is what makes me so angry.

Yes, he does seem like a likeable person even though I too disagree with him on most everything. I wish him well.

DH and I were just discussing that today. It would be very helpful, as a teacher, if all students and teachers had the ability to get a rapid test daily. Currently, we have a list of questions we ask as a health screening and take temps. But, the thermometers rarely read over 94 and the questions aren't catching pre-symptomatic people. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've watched This Week as long as I can remember. Back to the days it was hosted by David Brinkley.

My wife and I consider it "our show" and watching it has been a Sunday morning tradition with us since we met.

My heart sunk a little when I saw the topic line. My politics do not aline with those of Mr Christie, but I respect his intelligence, quick wit, incisiveness, and willingness to speak boldly. He is formidable. I would accede to valid criticisms that could be made against him, but won't make any in this context myself. Not the time.

I do hope he gets through this. I'm sure he's at very high risk and is likely facing a rough go. Perhaps he will be one of the lucky ones and the case will be a light one? I hope so.

Bill

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

I think we're all a lot smarter than you seem to think we are. Anyone who's been paying attention knows everything in your post has been talked about, debated, researched and cited here ad nauseam for the past seven months or so. We've all BTDT, got the t shirt and could write a book, thank you very much.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Huh, I thought it was obvious to whom I was referring when I wrote “Chris Christie and others in that circle.”

I don’t blame innocent victims, some of whom I know, many of whom my family members have treated, of this malady at all. People in positions of power who have a responsibility to protect others? Absolutely I blame them. They are culpable in the death of thousands of people, as are their followers.

And let me add that I am terribly sorry you have a loved one who is ill. I hope s/he recuperates quickly and fully.

It was the space between the two comments that made me wonder.  My heart is just so heavy for all of the folks who are ill.  Thank you for the support for my loved one. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

If that is the case, then why are so many folks here and elsewhere going on and on about the need for everyone to be masked just about all of the time, and it’s going to be the new normal, and anyone who doesn’t go along is irresponsible and selfish, and putting people at risk, and any anyone who gets sick when not wearing a mask deserves it because they are blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. etc.? 

They are arresting people here in the states and in other counties over mask wearing!  Masks are proven ineffective in filtering out such a small virus.

No one in D.C. was reckless, and the non-stop finger-wagging, and endless analyzing and reporting on who was wearing a mask and who wasn’t where and when, and who is on the sick list and who isn’t, and can we blame someone for deaths yet, is weird, weird, and weird! 

Just a friendly reminder of the SCIENCE of masks, since they are way up on a pedestal for many people. 

You are spouting nonsense. Please stop.

Bill 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

If that is the case, then why are so many folks here and elsewhere going on and on about the need for everyone to be masked just about all of the time, and it’s going to be the new normal, and anyone who doesn’t go along is irresponsible and selfish, and putting people at risk, and any anyone who gets sick when not wearing a mask deserves it because they are blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. etc.? 

They are arresting people here in the states and in other counties over mask wearing!  Masks are proven ineffective in filtering out such a small virus.

No one in D.C. was reckless, and the non-stop finger-wagging, and endless analyzing and reporting on who was wearing a mask and who wasn’t where and when, and who is on the sick list and who isn’t, and can we blame someone for deaths yet, is weird, weird, and weird! 

Just a friendly reminder of the SCIENCE of masks, since they are way up on a pedestal for many people. 

I feel like this is a distraction from the purpose of the thread.  If you’d like to discuss mask science maybe it’s worth creating a spin off.  Or you could read through the giant Wuhan thread or any of the other mask threads.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

You’re joking, right? You might want to google the pee meme that explains how masks work. Or go back and read the hundreds of links people have provided on this board.

As for no one in DC being reckless. First, how would you possibly know that no one in all of DC is being reckless? Second, if you’re referring to the prominent people and some of their staff who recently got sick, I guess if your definition of not being reckless is regularly ignoring all public health guidelines on the virus (masking, social distancing, large gatherings), then sure, no one was reckless.

As for blame, if leaders regularly ignore public health and medical advice concerning the virus and encourage others to do the same and purposely spread misinformation, then yes, they do bear some culpability for the illness and deaths among their constituents.

I have not seen anything about people being arrested for not wearing a mask. But people are dying from the virus. Forgive me if that upsets me more.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, fifiruth said:

I doubt that there are many on here who think that. Possibly none. 

“Deterrent” is odd word. But I think most people on here understand a great deal about that. A number of us have tried to follow the research on materials, fit, etc.

I am a strong proponent of masks.  Even so, I do not even agree with you that an N95 respirator properly fitted has a 95% filtration capability for individual virions nor that 95% is necessarily an accurate filtration number for virus at all.

I do know that a significant amount of SARS2 virus is usually riding on larger particulates or part of droplets or breaths of moist mixtures that are not a single virion.  Therefore the ability of an N95 (or regular cloth mask, or surgical mask) to reduce viral load passing through it is not dependent upon filtration of individual virions. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 15

I don't think anyone here thinks that.  For my family, we look to do three things -- masks for short indoor interactions (grocery store, target, etc).  If we are outside then six feet distance from everyone.  And if we can't maintain six feet distance outside, then back to the mask and keep the amount of time time less than six feet brief.  And we don't spend a long time indoors.  Masks that are at least made of multiple layers of cotton will slow the amount of virus particles going into the air.  Not perfect, but that's why the second part is important -- keeping contact brief.  

The administration has not been following those rules -- lots of long periods of contact with no masks and inside.  It just increases the risk.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Have you looked at the recent data on masks? What I’ve seen does not seem anything like your statements.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fifiruth said:

3 hours ago, fifiruth said:

Fifiruth, you have always been kind to me so I want to show you the same respect.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said in the posts I quoted, and I’m hoping you can provide some citations for the claims you are making about masks and science.

Also, if you don’t consider the behavior we saw at events like the SCOTUS event that is now being widely referred to as a super-spreader situation, what would you consider to be reckless behavior? Do you simply believe that masks or social distancing are not helpful at all? I’m trying to understand your point of view on this. How do you think Covid is spread? What measures do you think we can/should take to try to slow or prevent the spread of the virus? 

I sincerely want to know how you feel about this. You are certainly not alone in your feelings, and I am very interested in hearing your side of this issue, because I think we are both bright people and we both have good intentions, yet we seem to be polar opposites with regard to things like masking and what constitutes reckless behavior. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Probably not so much thinking they are invincible now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Not perfect, but that's why the second part is important -- keeping contact brief.  

The administration has not been following those rules -- lots of long periods of contact with no masks and inside.  It just increases the risk.  

In fairness, while I am hugely in favor of masks, I do not think that the business of government could be done with quick and  brief time being the key criterion. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Well, I don't think it was "as a precaution" as he put it out there. Even a Senator would have to have a valid reason to be admitted to a hospital. I'm not saying he isn't privileged. I'm just saying--there really aren't that many people rich or powerful enough to admit themselves to the hospital as a precaution. I think he's worse off than he admits. And I'm certainly pulling for him to recover. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Kanin said:

I'm thinking that they were definitely letting their guard down due to all the COVID tests that everyone had to take in order to be at these events. The rapid tests aren't as reliable. And there is definitely a weariness of all of this that I understand just wanting to interact normally for once. But I'm a republican, and I was horrified to see the event at the Rose Garden--nearly everyone unmasked and sitting so close together. It really made me angry. It was so irresponsible. I mean, I'm not changing my position politically...but I'm not happy with the message that was sent. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 10

9 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Fifiruth, you have always been kind to me so I want to show you the same respect.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said in the posts I quoted, and I’m hoping you can provide some citations for the claims you are making about masks and science.

Also, if you don’t consider the behavior we saw at events like the SCOTUS event that is now being widely referred to as a super-spreader situation, what would you consider to be reckless behavior? Do you simply believe that masks or social distancing are not helpful at all? I’m trying to understand your point of view on this. How do you think Covid is spread? What measures do you think we can/should take to try to slow or prevent the spread of the virus? 

I sincerely want to know how you feel about this. You are certainly not alone in your feelings, and I am very interested in hearing your side of this issue, because I think we are both bright people and we both have good intentions, yet we seem to be polar opposites with regard to things like masking and what constitutes reckless behavior. 

My sister who lives in Houston has a similar mindset.  Masks don’t work, we have to live our lives, I won’t live in fear.....all that stuff.  For instance she said, ‘what good does it do to wear a mask at the store when I am touching the same keypad at checkout put that others are touching.’  I tried to explain to her that masks aren’t the ONLY line of defense.  That you then go to your car and before you even take off your mask or  drive off you slather you’re hands in sanitizer and you keep your hands away from your face.  And you stay out of the stores if possible.  And you avoid indoor events. Especially with a lot of people. 

She also compares it to the flu.  At this point anyone who is comparing it to the flu is not keeping up with death counts or science.  Or worse they think the death count is exaggerated. 

I do believe there are people who think we should all just not worry about it and let the chips fall where they may.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My sister who lives in Houston has a similar mindset.  Masks don’t work, we have to live our lives, I won’t live in fear.....all that stuff.  For instance she said, ‘what good does it do to wear a mask at the store when I am touching the same keypad at checkout put that others are touching.’  I tried to explain to her that masks aren’t the ONLY line of defense.  That you then go to your car and before you even take off your mask or  drive off you slather you’re hands in sanitizer and you keep your hands away from your face.  And you stay out of the stores if possible.  And you avoid indoor events. Especially with a lot of people. 

She also compares it to the flu.  At this point anyone who is comparing it to the flu is not keeping up with death counts or science.  Or worse they think the death count is exaggerated. 

I do believe there are people who think we should all just not worry about it and let the chips fall where they may.  

And I keep thinking all these positives and at least a few hospitalizations at the highest levels of government surely ought to sway at least a few previous no-big-deal-ers. But I think it isn’t helped by high-level downplaying and inconsistency. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, fifiruth said:

Have you not seen the video of the Rose Garden, where they are all hugging and talking to each other (eg KellyAnne who is now confirmed positive, and Bill Barr) with their mouths inches away from each other? Followed by the indoor reception? And of course, none of these people wearing masks. Seems extremely reckless to me. 

The SCIENCE of masks shows they greatly reduce transmission. They are not 100% effective, but they do help.

And I agree with many others here, I generally like Chris Christie despite differing politics. But if he has asthma, he should have been MORE careful to wear a mask, no? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, fifiruth said:

I agree that they do help. However, I would like to see less emphasis, contention, and judgmentalism regarding mask-wearing. 

Given that mask wearing is more protective of others than the mask wearer, if someone refuses to wear one I can only assume they don't care about their fellow human beings.

Is that the sort of judgementalism to which you are referring? Oh well.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, fifiruth said:

I agree that they do help. However, I would like to see less emphasis, contention, and judgmentalism regarding mask-wearing. 

Agreed, especially what is coming from the administration and affects the decision making of the people of this country.  

• Like 9