Menu

Is anyone else having tech issues today?

Terabith

I should probably look into if there's a way to change my email address.  I have an old email account I'm keeping around pretty much only because it's my Hive identity.  I have all email automatically forwarded to my "new" gmail (that's over 10 years old), but it would be nice to be able to give my old email only for signing up for things that I don't want to receive spam on.  

Just now, Terabith said:

I should probably look into if there's a way to change my email address.  I have an old email account I'm keeping around pretty much only because it's my Hive identity.  I have all email automatically forwarded to my "new" gmail (that's over 10 years old), but it would be nice to be able to give my old email only for signing up for things that I don't want to receive spam on.  

I think that was my issue.  And even though I logged into my old account’s webmail to double check, my reset your password email never arrived.  I look like a newbie but I’ve been a member since I was pregnant with my almost 17yo! lol

• Like 1

I’m seeing some friends on here whose username is now displayed as their IRL name. *That* is a bad problem. 

I had to reset my pw yesterday, which I learned from this thread, so thank you. 

• Like 2

After seeing all that has happened between your experience earlier, then seeing it revert to it today after what you went through, and other posters too I am thinking that is probably a prudent course of action, as this is not the first time people's names and emails have been put out on the forum after an update. 

To be fair, it's not really REVERTING as much as using my new e-mail as my moniker, which sadly is very similar to my old username -- I used that name for lots of stuff. 

But yeah, I know how you feel. I'm going to be sad if these forums die off due to stuff like this, though. 

A quick pop-in to say that we are working on this, and that the pinned post at the top of Site News (subforum) will be the place to get the latest information about the situation including what the Forums vendor is doing, what you need to do, who to contact, and so on.  I'm not going to go into it all here because ... well, I've already gone into it all over there.  This is a serious issue and we take it very seriously.

A few years ago a tech issue resulted in people's names or email addresses showing up instead of their user names. That's when I changed my user name and set up a new email address I only use for this forum. I also put in fake info for my name and address for my account, that way if there is ever another problem, my real info doesn't show up in public. (When I place an order I change it to my real info long enough for the order to go through and then I change it back to my fake info.) I am very concerned about privacy and am very careful not to post identifying details, such as what the weather is like. With this latest data breech, I am glad I set this up so that only an email address not associated with anything would show up.

I think that worked?

ETA:  Nope. 

The first time I was able to sign in, it asked for display name and I tried my old user name and a couple others and it kept not taking them.  I finally went with what I have now, but I don't want to keep it as that.   

Edited by DorothyNJ

2 hours ago, Patty Joanna said:

I have an email I give only to friends, one for business/medical, and one for all other.  One of my friends does the same thing and actually named the email alias namecrapaccount@*.com.  🤭😆

That's one way to remember which account it is 😂