Menu

Which five people from all of human history...

Slache

Sam Vaknin - The only human being to have cured the mental disorder that destroyed my mother and by extension my entire childhood.
Leonardo Divinchi - I believe he was the most intelligent man in history and I think we would have a better time understanding him today than we did back then.
Paul - For clarification.
Adam - So many things.
My grandmother - because I miss her. And because I lost her before I knew questions to ask.

Edited by Slache
Reasons behind choices.
  • Like 5

I’ll play 😊

Jesus, because that’s obvious

Eliza Hamilton, because I’ve got a few woman-to-woman questions to ask (I just read Dear Mrs. Hamilton, and highly recommend it.)

Winston Churchill, because every dinner party needs a bit of wit

My maternal grandmother and grandfather, because they were killed by a selfish drunk driver before I was born, and I’ve always wanted grandparents

Edited by Hadley
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

1.  Madam CJ Walker.  She is my hero.  

2. George Washington.  One of the only people, that I can understand at least...that opposed political parties.

3. Ben Franklin.  Because in spite of the fact that he was a womanizing a-hole.....dang that man had a brain.

4. Ramses II.....what an amazing insight into the ancient world

5. Anne McCaffery.   She is my favorite author of all time, and I would LOVE to pick her brain about everything Pern.  And encourage a very realistic Dragonriders movie.

Ben was my 5th, but I put my grandma ahead of him.

• Like 3

Hmmm...  Well, because I enjoy getting people of different opinions together, and because I'm fascinated with psychology and the brain and understanding what makes people tick, I think I'd be interested in a really extreme guest list, such as:

Jesus

Hitler

Dietrich Bonhoeffer 

Einstein

My husband

ETA:  (I changed Mother Theresa to Dietrich Bonhoeffer.)

ETA:  (And if I could have a 6th, it would be Stephen Hawking.)

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Hmmm...  Well, because I enjoy getting people of different opinions together, and because I'm fascinated with psychology and the brain and understanding what makes people tick, I think I'd be interested in a really extreme guest list, such as:

Jesus

Hitler

Mother Theresa

Einstein

My husband

I thought about going this route...it’d be fun to watch...

• Like 2

I'm horrible at this kind of thing. My husband's list is:

Alexander the Great (a special interest)

Jesus (because, Jesus)

Steven Spielberg ("I just have some questions I'd like to know the answers to." 🤷‍♂️)

John Wayne (I could not fully decipher his reasons for this one)

Neil Armstrong (This seems kind of a random choice)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know I'll meet Jesus some day face to face, so I'm not going to use one of my choices on Him. But His mother Mary makes my list for sure. I have lots of questions for her and I'm not sure we'll run in the same circles in Heaven, so ...

Cleopatra because she's fascinating even without all the details we don't know and would probably be even more so if I could find those details out.

Bathsheba, Rahab, and Ruth for the same reason.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Of the 2 grandmothers I have...the only one I would care to have dinner with is still alive so I can have dinner with her tomorrow if I chose to drive that distance.

Perhaps some day soon I should.........

Yes, you should. It's been over 15 years and I still miss mine everyday.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Jesus

Hitler

Mother Theresa

Einstein

My husband

Yeah, I'd probably do something like this.

But I'd swap my husband for someone else, I already know what makes him tick. He'd never forgive me, though . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jentrovert said:

Yeah, I'd probably do something like this.

But I'd swap my husband for someone else, I already know what makes him tick. He'd never forgive me, though . . .

Ha, yeah I thought about swapping my husband for Stephen Hawking, but he's so good at getting to the heart of an argument and asking great questions!  😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My grandmother. My mother.

Laura Ingalls Wilder (I'd love to talk chickens and milk cows with her)

Queen Elizabeth 2 (she seems like a completely fascinating woman. Would LOVE to meet her)

Catherine of Aragon (her commitment to her faith and plain old stubbornness impresses me.)

(Wouldn't we ladies have an interesting time together!)

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

Jesus did not make my list because he has already said everything he wants to say.

In a world where everyone in the church says that women have no role outside of nursery I wanted to pick Deborah. "So, Deborah, tell me about yourself." :laugh:

Yes!  My mom has always had a fixation on Jael...My mother is a fiery, feisty Christian Sunday school teacher😉

Edited by Hadley
  • Haha 3

Martha Stewart -- to make the meal and set the table perfectly, so I can relax and enjoy the conversation

Dr. Jacqueline Noonan -- the pediatric cardiologist who discovered the birth defect that I (and two of my dds) have

my Nan-Nan -- so my kids could meet her

my MIL -- so my kids could see her again (and so the littlest ones could meet her)

Jane Austen -- well, I figured I had to pick a writer...

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hopeistheword said:

It’s Lust for Life by Irving Stone...I’m only about half way through, but it’s fascinating so far.  And sad 🙁

He also wrote  The Agony and the Ecstasy about Michaelangelo.  Loved it.  I just ordered three more of his biographies.  Now I just have to get everyone out of the house so I can read...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ruth - She just seems like she must have been a very strong woman

William Tyndale - I find his passion facinating

Dietrich Bonhoeffer - His writings have been very influential to me

Corrie ten Boom - Her ability to forgive.  I would love to talking to her about how she can forgive so much hatred

My grandfather - He disappeared three and a half years ago, and has been declared dead.  I just want to know what happened to him.

Edited by Loowit
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

15 minutes ago, Hadley said:

It’s Lust for Life by Irving Stone...I’m only about half way through, but it’s fascinating so far.  And sad 🙁

He also wrote  The Agony and the Ecstasy about Michaelangelo.  Loved it.  I just ordered three more of his biographies.  Now I just have to get everyone out of the house so I can read...  

Thank you! I read a YA biography of VanGogh a few years ago and was entranced—Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman.  

• Like 1

My dad - miss him so much

My brother - miss him so much

My paternal grandmother - most influential person ever to me - would love to converse now as an adult with children

Martin Luther King, Jr. - so many stories - so much wisdom

Shakespeare - Is he real?  Is he many people?  Is he a she? So many questions! 🤣 He’s the comedic relief for a tough night! 

• Like 8

Queen Esther--such a fascinating yet humble person (so I guess Yael needs to come 😃)

Amy Carmichael--love her writings and would like to talk to her about her experiences

C.S. Lewis--I think he'd be a very interesting guest

Jean Fleming--she wrote a book (A Mother's Heart) that I read as a young mother, and she seems like a genuinely nice and down-to-earth person

My grandma--she died a long time ago; by the time I was old enough to really get to know her, her hearing had gotten so bad it was almost impossible to communicate; there were some very hard things about her life, but she was such a sweet person with a special sparkle in her eyes, and her home was a happy place to be

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Oh gosh, I'd be happy to have my grandparents over for dinner.  My son and my grandfather would have been SUCH good friends.  Any combination of my great grandparents would be incredible, too.  I wish I could meet the mother of the grandpa I mentioned above.  She died she he was 16, and it hit him hard.  He said she was a loving, kind, and sweet mother. 

I would also love to meet my great great grandfather.  He was a motorman in Brooklyn in the early 1900s.  I have read a few of the letters he sent back to family in Germany, and he sounds like the nicest guy and had a great sense of humor.  He really loved his wife and kids, and after working so hard through a lot of financial troubles, they were finally on good footing when he suddenly died. 😞 I attached a picture of him with the family.  It is one of my favorite pictures.  The little girl standing up is my great grandma!  

Really, any combination of grandparents, great-grandparents, gr gr grandparents.  I have so many questions for them. 

Family of Henry W.J. Beckmann Henry, Lizzie, Augusta, Whilhelmina.png

• Like 10

Hard choice, but I think I'll take:

1- My grandmother for no reason other than I liked her

2- My aunt, because she'd like to be there too. Now I'm in trouble. In reality I'd have to invite my cousins at this point and probably my mom and we'd be done. They'd never ever forgive me if I didn't.

But since it's a fantasy, I'll assume that nobody living is invited and everyone speaks English and move on.

3- I don't have an individual name, but someone from way, way back- like Lucy or the mitochondrial Eve. 

4- Harriet Tubman

5- Robin Williams- so we'd all laugh

• Like 5

My mom, my maternal grandfather, Fred Rogers, Bob Ross, Harper Lee

I miss my mom so much and never met her dad.  I always wanted to know him.  

When I saw the FR documentary I realized he was a huge influence on my life.  BR seems like another beautiful soul and TKAM is in my top two favorite books.

• Like 4

1) Eve - I want to hear the "other side" of the story.

2) Ruth Bader Ginsburg - because I want to give her a hug and say thank you

3) My husband's great grandmother - I adored that fiery woman with every fiber of my being and she died just short of her one-hundredth birthday and I'm still salty about it. I regret not knowing her longer every single day!

4) My great-grandmother - she was a spitfire and I want to hear "those" stories from her own mouth. I bet she and DHs great-grandmother would get along like gangbusters.

5) Moses - I have so. many. questions for this guy.

• Like 4

Firstly, they can't all come at once. They'll come one dinner at a time. I'll need time alone with them, and I'm no good with large groups. And NO pomp and circumstance. I'm no fancy dinner host. No body guards. Just a simple sit down, chat and eat yummy food.

- King Olav V of Norway (he was the king during WWII while his country was occupied by the Nazis, he seemed very well loved by his people and his funeral was attended by so many heads of state during the Gulf War, he was an Olympic ski jumper)

- Pope John Paul II (he grew up in Poland during WWII, helped keep christianity strong in Poland while it was under Soviet rule, he was beloved world-wide, I got to see him once, but not to talk to)

- Queen Elizabeth II (she's lived through so much politically as well as personally)

- Nelson Mandela 

- Gandhi 

• Like 4

So fun, but man, just five is hard.

Jesus. I got a lot of questions for this guy

Claude Monet. To thank him for being true to his heart

George Washington. “Just look at what we’ve got! What to do?” 

C.S. Lewis. Narnia was my first love affair with fantasy

Alexander Flemming: “I’m really glad you weren’t that pressed about tidying the lab. Seriously. Thank you for being a bit of a slob...” 

• Like 3

I'd have

William de Warrene, first earl of Surrey- he was at the Battle of Hastings - I need to hear the real scoop

J. Holland - one of my ancestors b. in 1791 and he was a bad*ss

Penelope, Queen of Ithaca - I want to believe she was real

Matilda, almost queen of England 

Thorfinn Karlsefni - because I want to know the truth of the interactions between the indigenous people of North America and the Icelanders

• Like 3

I have teared up several times reading this thread. Like a Pp, I don't want them all at dinner together but one at a time. Mine are almost all relatives I miss or didn't get a chance to know well.

My dad. Pre-Alzheimers. I still miss him so much.

My mother-in-law who died of cancer before DH & I were officially engaged. I know she had things to say to DH that she didn't get a chance to say on her deathbed because of her selfish sisters. I know DH would love to be with her again. And I would love to hear her stories about DH growing up.

My brother. He went so suddenly. He was funny & kind. But if he came back, he wouldn't come to my house. He'd go straight to see his five princesses. They have not done well in his absence & they need him more than I would like to see him. (But they've disavowed our side of the family so they wouldn't come for dinner. And honestly, several of them are obnoxious jerks, so I wouldn't invite them. Best he just go to their place for dinner.)

My Aunt Jean. Sweet, generous, and spicy when riled up. Getting to visit with her again when she was in her prime would be wonderful. Mostly, letting the younger kids get to know her like I knew her, pre-stroke. Only the older two kids have those memories.

...And my only non-family, frivolous one is David Bowie. For the stories he could tell. Just to listen to his voice, even, if I could keep my mouth stuffed with food & just listen to him.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

I'm actually pretty content just to speculate about most of these people and find the biography or two to read. I am afraid I'd ask dumb questions like, "So, what's your favorite color?" and then after dinner, "I want to know what your inspiration and thoughts were behind the addition of the small mouse in the woods, was this a veiled reference to the ..." and then realize everyone had already left.

So this list I make because my husband will talk these peoples' ears off, ask the best questions, and I can sit back and relax, learn cool things, and hopefully eat all the desserts while they discuss/argue art and principles and so forth. I'm assuming there will be yelling (though it may only be Beethoven, who knows). 

Tolkien

John Williams * 

da Vinci

Beethoven

Aristotle

*holding a seat for him, I suppose. He's not dead, and I hope he lives much longer, but I know I won't meet him in this lifetime.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Queen Esther--such a fascinating yet humble person (so I guess Yael needs to come 😃)

Amy Carmichael--love her writings and would like to talk to her about her experiences

C.S. Lewis--I think he'd be a very interesting guest

Jean Fleming--she wrote a book (A Mother's Heart) that I read as a young mother, and she seems like a genuinely nice and down-to-earth person

My grandma--she died a long time ago; by the time I was old enough to really get to know her, her hearing had gotten so bad it was almost impossible to communicate; there were some very hard things about her life, but she was such a sweet person with a special sparkle in her eyes, and her home was a happy place to be

I read this book, too! It is good!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Denise Still in Florida said:

1 and 2:  My mother and father. Now that I am older I have so many questions I wished I had asked them. 🙂

Just them, a nice family dinner.

You’re right. I think maybe I’d just have my mom, dad, my best friend, grandparents... all the people I’ve loved and lost. Just for a nice dinner. 

• Like 1