Menu

Which five people from all of human history...

Slache

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

My paternal grandparents

I am going to count them as one because they were such a great couple. Mostly because I miss them but I would also like to pick their brain about how to survive with hope and faith intact when during their lifetime they had to face colonization and then lose members of their family to TB. They had the most bizarre to me cleaning practices like boil sheets to sanitize when one of us got sick. They would hardly say a word but would work harmoniously together like a dance. My grandmother used to wash coins in hot water as her logic was TB could spread through spit and coins rolled on the ground, long after a vaccine was discovered and I used to make fun of her. Now I think of her as I sanitize the most bizarre things with bleach and wonder how this pandemic will change me and what my kids would remember 

S P Balasubramanium

My absolute favorite singer in the whole world who died today. His voice was the sound track to my life. In his life time he sang over 40,000 songs in various languages as part of movies. He is what is called a play back singer. Indian movies has songs and the actors dance or act while someone else sings called playback. His voice made me feel at home wherever in the world I was because he was so prolific in all the languages I knew and few I could understand. I've always gone to his concerts when he came here and the thought that I cannot makes me cry. 

Mother Teresa

I've been privileged to see her a lot in my life time. She was such a tiny woman whose face always radiated serenity to me. I always thought she needed to have great faith to do what she did and still see the goodness of God. But when I read her book with her letters about wrestling in her faith it showed me it is ok to do so and can be faith building instead of just doubting.

Queen Esther

I've always considered my life verse as Esther 4:14, because of "Such a time as this" and say it is my firm belief that God puts us in a time and place in history. It is easier to say that, harder to live it and I would love to ask the person who it was actually said about and lived it with great courage even when it took her places she never anticipated.

My parents

My parents are living thousands of miles from me. I was supposed to see them soon in person around this time when the world turned upside down. Even though I speak to them everyday and see them on video, since this list has the magical ability to make dead people come to a dinner party, I would love my parents to be teleported so I can see them in person as I miss them so much and do not know when I will.

I just wanted to express my condolences for having lost your musical hero today--I know how that feels.

I interrupted listening to a very fine Schubert Symphony No. 2 (Spinopoli Dresden 1992) to feast on some Balasubrahmanyam (spelled variously) on YouTube. I'm a great fan of Hindustani classical music, but quite ignorant of Hindi pop & Bollywood music. I hope you find solace in knowing the music lives on.

Warm regards,

Bill (who is still pondering his list)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J-rap said:

I just looked her up because that name sounded familiar.  Wasn't there a movie made about her and her husband?  

Yes. She and her husband Jim Eliot were missionaries and he was killed by tribe members. The movie is "The End of the Spear."

• Like 1