Menu

What interesting thing is happening in your neighborhood today?

MercyA

My Amish neighbors are having a barn raising! It's amazing to see how quickly it's flying up. Lots of guys climbing around on it...I hope they are being super careful (said like a mom).

What's going on in your neck of the woods?

• Like 13

All I hear right now are lawnmowers, including our own.  It's been raining for a few days and we are expected to get more tonight and tomorrow so the lawnmower buzzing is out in force right now.  I finally got my sandals out yesterday!  It's been a cool spring but now the windows are open and the ceiling fans are whirling.  

One of our neighbors was on his roof washing out his gutters, a rather steep roof.  I looked at my husband, who is notorious for waiting until a thunderstorm to clean out the gutters, and told him I was glad we didn't have that angle of a roof - LOL!

I've also been listening to the joy that only an empty oven box can bring to a house full of kids.  We had to replace ours this week and my dh rescued the box before it went to the trash.  Now two of my granddaughters (ages 2 and 3), my own kids 10 and 12 and even a couple of my teenagers have been greatly amused by the box this afternoon.  Much shaking of people inside, crawling through and in, even decorating has been done.  It was a great save by "Yampa" as my grandkids call him 🙂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Our neighborhood has become a detour for a main road that is under construction. People are speeding through the neighborhood. It is really dangerous and difficult to even retrieve mail. 

My neighbors are arguing on FB with other area residents about using our street as a thru street when they are supposed to take another route. Some neighbors are confronting cars they don't think belong in our neighborhood. Some kids (and adults) are yelling at people driving through. 

My elderly neighbor across the street backed out of her driveway and clipped a car coming through. I had to call 911 because the confrontation post fender bender got so heated I was scared. 

Neighbors are battling the city. One neighbor had a news crew for a local station scheduled to come out and film. That spurred action and now we have stop signs going up throughout the neighborhood. One is supposed to be placed in a location that will lead to cars backed up blocking my driveway. It is good we have no place to go these days.

It is a mess but I will say it is not made better by the fact that no one where I live takes anything calmly. Everything is a hair on fire crisis. And everyone is an aggressive driver.

• Sad 2

A wild turkey just ran by and my dogs are barking at it.

The hummingbirds are back. I saw the first one this morning, so I hung the feeder up and now there are several of them buzzing around it.

In the herd of deer that hang around with my horses in the early morning, there are at least three that look like they are very pregnant. I'm looking forward to seeing fawns soon!

• Like 9

Not much of anything.

A couple I didn't recognize just jogged by. That's a little unusual, since our neighborhood is small and I know everybody at least by sight. Maybe someone has visitors?

The back window of my SUV spontaneously shattered earlier. That was kind of exciting in a bad way. No idea what caused it. It's in the garage, but DH was working outside and had the garage door raised. But it's not particularly hot, so . . . . ? Glad it didn't happen while I was driving it! Safelite has already been scheduled to come replace it on Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I saw our first hummingbird yesterday! I so love hummingbirds, though the season for them in my yard is really short. The kitties and I are practically glued to the window. 🙂

It's quiet here today. Lots of people out walking, running and cycling, but that’s everyday. I pulled up some runaway raspberry shoots and set them out in a pot. A young couple wandered by almost immediately and took them. They were so excited. 🙂 

A few students down the way have been hanging outside all day and it’s nice to hear laughter. I think most of them live there, the visitors are sitting a distance apart. 

Mostly I’ve been puttering in the garden, enjoying a warm day and the sounds of birds. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

My dad hung solar “fairy lights” in our front yard tree so most nights the neighbors come out and just look at it in the evenings/whenever they get off the night shift.  A lot of them have said it brightens their mood ❤️ 

146BD220-812C-4372-A3CE-E7AAF9F7B032.jpeg
ugh, it’s sideways...sorry

Lovely! The squirrels chew through my cords so I can’t hang them anymore. 😡
My neighbor still has holiday lights on a tree near our bedroom window. I love falling asleep to the glow when she remembers to plug them in. 🙂 

• Like 2

Nothing much.  It's rainy and cool in Dallas today.  We had outdoor work-on-the-house plans and you'd think we'd just work on the inside.  Nope.  Lots of gaming and online browsing going on.

A barn-raising sounds interesting.  I would love to watch that happen!

• Like 1

The neighbors two houses down are in a classic rock/blues band and they hosted a porch concert today.  Everyone distanced properly in their family groups, which was very nice to see.  We invited my parents to come over and sit in our front yard, properly distanced from us, while we listened.  It was so refreshing to do something different!  I think I’ll put some money in an envelope and drop it in their mailbox as a thank you.  

• Like 10

Our nearest neighbor is a half mile away, so we don't really have a neighborhood to speak of 😉

But around here today the girls and I spring cleaned the craft room, played outside with our new little white kittens, washed sheets, seasoned DH's new grill we got him as an early Father's Day present, and watched DH and the boys haul out big chunks of old concrete and put in wood forms around where the concrete for the new lane will be poured in a week or two. DS also met someone on Craigslist to look at a car he might buy and took some old electronics to the recycling center.

It was a productive day!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I drove by a place when a family seemed to be taking grad pictures. The graduate was in cap and gown...and mask. 

It's breezy here today, my favorite weather. The cherries are ripening.  🙂

Today was DD18's original graduation date. We took a picture of her in her cap and gown, with a mask!!!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Storygirl said:

Not today, but earlier this week..... A large airplane flanked by two fighter jets flew low over our yard. I discovered it was the Air National Guard circling our city to pay tribute to hospital workers.

They did that this past week where I work. We are not a hospital but medical facility. It was a nice break to go outside for a moment and look up.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Not today, but earlier this week..... A large airplane flanked by two fighter jets flew low over our yard. I discovered it was the Air National Guard circling our city to pay tribute to hospital workers.

We had the Thunderbirds fly over our city this week to pay tribute. I was surprised how many people had never seen them.

Our neighborhood celebrated our high school grads today. Interested neighbors adopted a grad or two to give gifts and decorate their front lawn. I helped decorate 2 yards down the street from me. 

• Like 4

We had a pretty bad rainstorm and a tornado touched down not far away. No one hurt I don't think. We have hummingbirds and bluebirds-I always enjoy watching them. Dh and I at lunch and dinner out on the front porch. A couple kids live next door and I heard them a few times. 

• Like 1

Blessedly, nothing is going on in our neighborhood today. Last weekend was a huge outdoor party with jumbo inflatable slip and slides and water slides and all the adults huddled in one tent together for shade. My kids had to sit that out and it was so depressing for all of us.

This morning most of those same people left the neighborhood to go hiking or camping or something together. So there's no one outside but us. 🙂

• Like 1

I was inside most of the day. I heard  normal neighbor sounds, but had a really nice chat with ds. LOL  It was somewhat cloudy, but now it has started raining. I  love the sound of rain, so I am in my room with the window open listening to it (and hanging out here).

I  am working on painting kitchen cabinets, so I have spent most of my day, watching paint dry. 🙂 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I read that the pilots are required to fly a certain number of training hours/maneuvers so it doesn't cost "extra".

Yes, I read that there was "no additional cost" to taxpayers.

It wouldn't be my personal preference for the government to budget $70 million a year--for maintenance alone--for performance squadrons. Not to mention what the use of the fossil fuels is doing to the environment. 😞 

Sorry to sound like a party pooper--but there are a lot of pet peeves for me in those performances. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Selkie said:

A wild turkey just ran by and my dogs are barking at it.

The hummingbirds are back. I saw the first one this morning, so I hung the feeder up and now there are several of them buzzing around it.

In the herd of deer that hang around with my horses in the early morning, there are at least three that look like they are very pregnant. I'm looking forward to seeing fawns soon!

We had wild turkeys in our neighborhood too! Our other excitement was that we got new shuttlecocks for our badminton set. The ones that came with the set were cheap (light), so hard to get over the net and aim. Dh and dd and I had fun swatting around the new and improved ones in the back yard.

• Like 1

Not much happening here. We've been watching a pair of birds build a nest on top of my front porch. My neighbor tore up his backyard for the 3rd time in 18 months (septic issues again. Stop using so much bleach!). I found a little checkered garden snake by the chicken yard.  Better move on, buddy! My girls will eat you up!

Husband has decided he wants to grow microgreens as a hobby, and is in the middle of putting together a shelf with grow lights.  In his misspent youth he grew the Devil's Lettuce, now he wants to grow real lettuce, lol. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The village hall committee has organised the making of face coverings with donated materials. Our decommissioned red telephone box has just been repainted and cleaned out, so the face coverings are in a box inside, for anyone to take. Donations to the village hall fund are encouraged but not required.

• Like 6

I saw a post this morning about people chasing a bear in our neighborhood.
We live alongside black bears without any major problems  other than occasional garbage clean up and the fact that they don’t *always poop in the woods. But if lunatics are going to start chasing them...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I saw a post this morning about people chasing a bear in our neighborhood.
We live alongside black bears without any major problems  other than occasional garbage clean up and the fact that they don’t *always poop in the woods. But if lunatics are going to start chasing them...

What is wrong with people??? Jerks. 

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The village hall committee has organised the making of face coverings with donated materials. Our decommissioned red telephone box has just been repainted and cleaned out, so the face coverings are in a box inside, for anyone to take. Donations to the village hall fund are encouraged but not required.

I'm so glad to hear that they aren't removing those iconic red telephone boxes! 

• Like 1

Sleepy, gray morning here. I think most of my street is still asleep! 

Lots of socially-distanced gatherings here yesterday and Friday evening. Two or three cars, groups of camp chairs spread out yards, grilling, etc. We did this last night and it was so fun and refreshing! 

I noticed a young man with a pickup, a chain saw, and a hatchet culling from the many large piles of downed trees from last week's storm. He's making packs for firepits. Some split logs, both green and dry, some medium and some smaller branches. Firewood can be hard to find in the summer here. Love to see an entreprenuer! 

• Like 2

Nothing at all. No noise, nothing.

Full lock down this weekend. So odd to live in a city with 25 million people and hear quiet. It isn't all that bad..... just very odd. Each weekend has been lock down for the last 2 months. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm so glad to hear that they aren't removing those iconic red telephone boxes! 

I think that a local organisation has to decide to take responsibility for their upkeep once the telephone is removed.  They've been turned into all kinds of things: https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/11-weird-ways-britains-iconic-telephone-boxes-have-been-repurposed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sunshine, and lots of yard work/tree maintenance as people look to hurricane season on the horizon. Lots of things blooming and animals around to take advantage of the buffet. Bumblebees on the clover. Neither the chipmunk nor the lizard in my overgrown garden beds appreciated having a human sitting on the steps.  (I did apologize, but I will be going out again later.)

The demographics of our neighborhood have changed... now with everybody at home, at least once or twice a day, I can hear a toddler crying (because their family is in their yard, and my windows face them). I might be getting too old for this neighborhood. DS is the oldest kid on the block; there's one elementary kid and 6 kids under 6 (among three other households).

• Like 1

Okay, now there are three white doves pecking away happily in the cornfield by the new barn. Is it some kind of Amish tradition to release them? Did they just show up? Google doesn't have the answer, but I am delighted with them. 🙂

• Like 1

Oh I wish I had logged in on Saturday, I wanted to talk about this! 

I drove by a funeral home and it was PACKED. I live in a state that still has strict social distancing guidelines so it was quite the sight. But even before the pandemic it would have been double-take worthy. Naturally I looked up the funeral home to find the obituary. It was the funeral for a 38 man from the Republic of Congo who died in a car accident. He was working at a meat packing plant. The women there were wearing traditional Congolese clothing. I've seen women in similar clothes around town but I had no idea how large the local community was. 

The obituary stated that the funeral was supposed to be a drive-by only and no congregating would be allowed. But the parking lot was packed, nearby businesses had their lots packed, and the cars were parked all along local streets. There were many, many clumps of people gathered outside the funeral home. I suppose the local police had no way to effectively enforce the restrictions. 

I am glad the man got such an amazing send-off. But the meat-packing plant he worked at has experienced a Covid outbreak and I imagine some of the attendees were his co-workers. I hope this doesn't spike our numbers. Our county has a relatively high count for the region.  

• Thanks 1