Menu

friends/family who may have COVID-19

PrincessMommy

I've been wanting to start a thread so we can pray or hold up anyone we know who may have the virus or been exposed.  Instead of burying these people on the main Corona Virus thread I thought it might be nice to start one dedicated to those who may have it. 

On Saturday afternoon I told my husband that we didn't know anyone who had been exposed, and we didn't know anyone who knew someone.... that lasted about an hour.  ☹️

I have  multiple family members who were potentially exposed to the virus at a gathering out of state.  Someone (not part of the family) who was at the gathering is now in the hospital with possible COVID-19.  They got a call on Saturday, about a week after the gathering.  I don't know how many people were at the event (in a church) but it included a family of 8 with a newborn.   For a week everyone was walking around without realizing this.  It includes exposing elderly people.   As of yesterday there was no word.  

My youngest daughter's best friend almost certainly has it.  She's sick with COVID-like symptoms that have progressively gotten worse over the last 2 days, and she has asthma.   She was tested yesterday. 

A lady who was formerly at our parish, but now lives in FL, is being tested for it today.  She's a retired nurse.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 8

My ds is being tested for it.  Just before I went to pick him up at college, someone in his dorm was tested.  There are still no results, but in the meantime, ds's chest was hurting and he had congestion.  I encouraged him to call the health center and they decided to test him.  So, we are waiting.  I'm not too worried bc I doubt he has it and if he does, it's mild.  He has no fever and very little cough.  I'd appreciate prayer, though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

Well we are all sick with the exact symptoms, just mildly though. So, I'm assuming we have it and we're just hunkering down. I wasn't worried until my mom, who lives with us, told me she's feeling sick today. She is 70 so at greater risk than the rest of us. So, we'll be watching your closely.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

I heard from my MIL today. She is fine, but she talked to DH's cousin this morning. He and his wife live in the UK. They are sick with what they assume is Covid-19. No testing done. DH's cousin seems to be recovering, but his wife is pretty ill at this time. The two kids (ages 10 & 8 ) haven't shown any symptoms yet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m finally getting better after being sick for a week, and three of my kids has symptoms in varying degrees too.  Everyone else has been fully exposed but absolutely fine by all counts.  It was unpleasant but not as bad as the flu in terms of symptoms.  I felt tired, cold, and with a tight, weirdly scratchy chest and throat.  That part got worse, but seems to finally be clearing.  

Do you think it was Covid-19?  

@beckyjo - are they not testing as much in the UK?   Sorry about your cousin's wife. I hope she starts to turn a corner soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Do you think it was Covid-19?  

@beckyjo - are they not testing as much in the UK?   Sorry about your cousin's wife. I hope she starts to turn a corner soon.

According to this article, they are only testing patients in hospitals. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11053953/coronavirus-test-how-uk-where/

20 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I haven’t needed hospitalization and therefore wasn’t tested, but I’m about as certain as I can be that’s what it was.  It was a very different symptom set than flu a/b or a cold, and the exposure was from a lady who had known direct contact with housemates traveling from Asia. She was hacking up a lung with a really painful sounding dry cough.  At the time I just assumed she had bronchitis. But maybe five days later I began to feel sick, myself, and then it snowballed a bit from there into me spending the whole weekend and yesterday in bed.

okay.  I hope you start to feel better soon.  I hope you can get some sleep. 

• Like 2

I have two friends whose college aged sons sound like they have it--one in San Jose and one in San Francisco.  Neither have been tested.  It's hard to get tested here.

I am very concerned about the families of both.  In one, one parent is recovering from surgery and the other has autoimmune issues.  In the other, the son is living with his grandfather.  Pretty high risk all around.

• Sad 7

I was very excited about the rollout of drive through testing in my area, but on the second day they had so many people that they limited it to 60+ or hospitalized with symptoms. 

There are 4 teens from dd's high school who are quarantined due to exposure to known cases. And friends she's FaceTiming who have a dry cough and were sick enough to miss a week of school before it was closed, who haven't been tested. 

She has a persistent dry cough, but enough energy to pretty much live her normal life. Dh, who has asthma, is using his inhalers and has a dry cough, but is mostly functional. No one needs hospitalization, and if coronavirus weren't going around I wouldn't be concerned about either of them. Minor temp fluctuations for both, nothing major. Still, knowing there are milder cases, and that milder cases can escalate, I'm not sure what to think. 

Healthy meals and lots of sleep for all. We haven't isolated anyone, but I'm cleaning towels and surfaces daily.

• Like 2

This thread is oddly comforting. I've been wondering... where are all the stories? I want to hear from people themselves who have had this and it was "no big deal," or even those who had it and it was awful. I want to know which symptoms started first. How fast did it hit you? Was it slow and steady or like a hammer? How many days? Were you KO'ed in bed, or moving around okay? So many questions!!

I thrive on BTDT information and the lack thereof is making this all even worse than it already!

I would even feel a million times better if those who *thought* they'd had it could have had a frigging TEST available to know for sure! 

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, easypeasy said:

This thread is oddly comforting. I've been wondering... where are all the stories? I want to hear from people themselves who have had this and it was "no big deal," or even those who had it and it was awful. I want to know which symptoms started first. How fast did it hit you? Was it slow and steady or like a hammer? How many days? Were you KO'ed in bed, or moving around okay? So many questions!!

I thrive on BTDT information and the lack thereof is making this all even worse than it already!

I would even feel a million times better if those who *thought* they'd had it could have had a frigging TEST available to know for sure! 

You made me realize that I also find help and comfort from BTDT info.   

Honestly, I'd like to be tested too, if for no other reason than to know I am not one of those asymptomatic persons unknowingly infecting people.   It would also help with the statistics too.. but I know it's unrealistic to test everyone. 

• Like 2

My BIL just came down with something two nights ago. (They don’t live in our state.) Low grade fever, fatigue, feels like he can’t breathe, and can’t lay down to sleep. They told him to go to the ER and he got an X-ray, tested for flu and strep, but they wouldn’t do a CV-19 test because they have to ration them. I’m very worried for him and my sister and the kids. ☹️
And of course, “official” numbers shown no known cases in their county. 

• Sad 6

Update: We still have no results for ds.  However, he now has a fever of 100.3 and more congestion. ☹️  I'm still hopeful that it is just a cold, but the news of 1/5 young adults having to be hospitalized is not helping.  I've been very chill for someone who tends toward anxiety, but I feel the rising prickles.  I don't even know how to parent this from 5 hours away other than texting him.  If I went, I couldn't see him.  If he goes to the hospital, I can't see him.  I don't think I should call the health center bc he's telling me everything. Aargh!  Well, at least we know he's been tested and should know in a few days.  I can't control the rest.

• Sad 8

23 hours ago, beckyjo said:

I heard from my MIL today. She is fine, but she talked to DH's cousin this morning. He and his wife live in the UK. They are sick with what they assume is Covid-19. No testing done. DH's cousin seems to be recovering, but his wife is pretty ill at this time. The two kids (ages 10 & 8 ) haven't shown any symptoms yet. 

Quoting myself to update: 

DH's cousin doing very well today, and his wife has turned the corner this evening. She is sitting up in bed and looking out the window at a beautiful sunset. 

• Like 9

My best friend got tested this morning - she isn't sure what is going on, as she's had lung issues for a while now, but over the past week has gotten significantly worse. She works in a restaurant with people who recently traveled to New York. Her son has SCID - he doesn't fight off certain respiratory illnesses and has chronic lung issues. 

• Sad 11

We received confirmation DH’s childhood friend has it. At the time he was tested there were “no cases” in his town. He’s a single guy in early 40s who comes in contact with many many people a day. It took 10 days for the test results to come in. They did ask him for list of people he met but really it’s just one day he could come up with.

he was very sick alone in his apartment (high fever etc) but has turned the corner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

We received confirmation DH’s childhood friend has it. At the time he was tested there were “no cases” in his town. He’s a single guy in early 40s who comes in contact with many many people a day. It took 10 days for the test results to come in. They did ask him for list of people he met but really it’s just one day he could come up with.

he was very sick alone in his apartment (high fever etc) but has turned the corner. 

gosh.. how frightening.  glad he"s turned a corner

• Like 1

DH and I both have colds, I think. He's been sick for two weeks now - started with sore throat, moved to coughing. No temp. The weird thing is he never had any runny nose, which makes me wonder. Headaches off and on for two weeks. I'm about a week behind him, sore throat that's now gone, headaches almost every day, slight cough, but my nose IS runny, so I *think* we just have colds. Just staying home except for rare grocery runs, and I wear gloves and a mask. The headache might be because I'm staring at a computer screen all day though...

• Sad 1

Two people who were on the same tour as DD in NYC  have tested positive and three more were tested but are negative. It is hitting closer and closer to home for us. We have been home for a week and hoping to stay symptom-free for the next week.

• Sad 4

27 minutes ago, Mainer said:

DH and I both have colds, I think. He's been sick for two weeks now - started with sore throat, moved to coughing. No temp. The weird thing is he never had any runny nose, which makes me wonder. Headaches off and on for two weeks. I'm about a week behind him, sore throat that's now gone, headaches almost every day, slight cough, but my nose IS runny, so I *think* we just have colds. Just staying home except for rare grocery runs, and I wear gloves and a mask. The headache might be because I'm staring at a computer screen all day though...

Could be cold mixed with allergies?  Allergies give me sinus headaches.  At least I hope that is what it is.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Could be cold mixed with allergies?  Allergies give me sinus headaches.  At least I hope that is what it is.  

Could be. He's been coughing for ten days at least. He had asthma as a kid, so it seems like sometimes he gets a worse/more violent cough than other people do. Here I am feeling fine! Weird. The headache could be allergies... we've got some mildew brewing in the bathroom (yuck!!).

• Like 2

Still no results.  Hopefully soon.  His fever is down,but they are thinking of retesting if his first test comes negative bc the fever came after he tested. And NY is issuing a stay at home type order starting Sunday night. Ugh.  He wants to come home so badly. Surely fetching him from a rural school would be okay under the circumstances of why we couldn't earlier.  I don't even know who I would call to ask.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, freesia said:

Still no results.  Hopefully soon.  His fever is down,but they are thinking of retesting if his first test comes negative bc the fever came after he tested. And NY is issuing a stay at home type order starting Sunday night. Ugh.  He wants to come home so badly. Surely fetching him from a rural school would be okay under the circumstances of why we couldn't earlier.  I don't even know who I would call to ask.

We aren't going to be locked in our homes. You can go out for things you need. I mean they are leaving the liquor stores open lol. You need your son!  I would make a long day of it. Pack your food, run in for the washroom and gas, get out and walk if you're tired.  Just my thoughts after reading the news today. We are in a rural college community. The stores are open and there are people around although fewer than a week ago. If he's contagious that would be your biggest challenge. Let me know if you want me to see if I can find any specific info for you. What difficult times!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Starr said:

We aren't going to be locked in our homes. You can go out for things you need. I mean they are leaving the liquor stores open lol. You need your son!  I would make a long day of it. Pack your food, run in for the washroom and gas, get out and walk if you're tired.  Just my thoughts after reading the news today. We are in a rural college community. The stores are open and there are people around although fewer than a week ago. If he's contagious that would be your biggest challenge. Let me know if you want me to see if I can find any specific info for you. What difficult times!

Carry toilet paper and soap with you. Washrooms often don't have any

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kand said:

Having a runny nose doesn’t rule out COVID-19. Some do. In the absence of testing, best to behave as if you’re positive until all symptoms have been gone for 72 hours. 

Yes - luckily we're both working from home and we're well stocked up 🙂 

• Like 1

The 2yr old has a fever now. Normally it would be no big deal because he acts fine, but now I'm not sure what to do. My throat has been a little sore but it's been a crazy weather week and the changes in temperatures always make me feel a little sick. DS(2) literally has gone nowhere for over 2 weeks and seems to be getting his molars because his hands are in the back of his mouth. 

Nobody else has any symptoms but DH has to work out of the home and in a building with others. His coworker's mother was diagnosed with covid and his coworker is being tested (not sick yet). We aren't sure if he should self quarantine or not? It seems unlikely that the 2yr old would be the first and only one sick. 

• Sad 3

17 minutes ago, kand said:

This is what makes not being able to be tested so difficult. I’d say you need to treat it as if he was positive until you know otherwise, unfortunately. It’s weird for your 2yo to get a fever after having been home for over two weeks, but that’s actually one of the things that would make me a little more concerned. When will coworker have test results? With our recent illness, we had fever for a couple days, and then the cough started. Seems better for you to at least wait a few days and see if anything else develops. 

I'm not sure when the test will get back but probably in about a week. He was tested Weds or Thurs. 2yo doesn't act sick at all. It's pretty normal for him to get a low fever with teething. I know doctors tell you there's no association, but I have a hard time believing that. 

Edited by Paige

DS 18 who lives in an apartment about a mile away from us woke up Thursday morning with a fever, congestion, cough but no pain in his chest.  We were able to get him a tele-visit with the doctor on Friday afternoon and were told that the Doctor doesn't think that it is the virus (and tests are hard to come by here so no testing done) but to self quarantine just in case.  I wish more tests were available so we would know for sure.  I think a lot of people are going to have to self quarantine to be safe but not everyone has the resources to stay a float when they can't work from home.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 12:31 AM, Margaret in CO said:

We have friends in the UK who had it go through the entire family. Thankfully, they are all okay, though it was rough on the elderly grandmother. She's 91!

I had it several weeks ago, after a trip to Texas. Cough, fever, aches, horse standing on my chest, etc. I'm still tired, but that's partly due to still being up--calving season!

Are you talking about CV19? Or the thing with similar symptoms? 

If you mean CV19 are you talking about test confirmed cases? 

I'm kind of betting I have it. Zero symptoms at all except a dry cough and a scratchy tightness in my chest. Oh, I actually have TONS of drainage too - not a runny nose, but down my throat. However, Houston is the pollen capital of the world right now, so that part could very well be allergies - no way to know. I've felt this way since about the 11th of March. It doesn't get better or worse. The cough is not constant or bad. I am a little paranoid, but I can still take big, deep breaths with no problem so I'm still just hunkering down. 

Edited by Sk8ermaiden

30 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I'm kind of betting I have it. Zero symptoms at all except a dry cough and a scratchy tightness in my chest. Oh, I actually have TONS of drainage too - not a runny nose, but down my throat. However, Houston is the pollen capital of the world right now, so that part could very well be allergies - no way to know. I've felt this way since about the 11th of March. It doesn't get better or worse. The cough is not constant or bad. I am a little paranoid, but I can still take big, deep breaths with no problem so I'm still just hunkering down. 

I agree.  I've actually been feeling a bit low the last 2 days.  Zero energy, feeling freezing cold but no fever, heavy chest but no cough.  Today I have lots of congestion in my head.  But, the allergies have been awful here with a warmer-than-normal winter.   I always feel low energy with allergies but never quite this bad.  Yesterday I took 2 naps!  

That is the problem with not testing.  So many early and/or mild symptoms are similar to colds and allergies.  

My daughter is basically dependent on my babysitting 3x per week.  And I don't feel right not doing it because I feel "off".   

On 3/20/2020 at 10:40 AM, freesia said:

Afaik, if he tests negative (including retest if indicated) you would probably be able to pick him up.  

Call your state Health Department.