Menu

friends/family who may have COVID-19

PrincessMommy

My friend's mom just passed away in a nursing home in Ireland. She tested positive a few weeks ago and had seemed to be doing better for a while. Of course they can't travel for the funeral. It's just so painful the way coronavirus keeps us from the people we love.

Closer to home, Dd's boyfriend is waiting on test results 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

My dad had a liver transplant 10 years ago and will be 70 in 2 weeks, so high risk due to age and immunodeficiency.  He woke up with a fever and the inability to control his bladder.  (Let’s hope he never finds out I posted on the internet about that!  lol)  He eats so healthy, drinks 2 cups of coffee a day and then only water for the rest of the day, walks more than 10,000 steps every single day....he almost never gets sick, like maybe 1 cold per year, even when my mom is coughing all over the house and still making his meals.  I’m worried.  The doctor told my mom to take him to the ER.  If he doesn’t have CV he’s going to get it.  We’re in the Buffalo, NY area where we have 221 confirmed cases.  And I can’t help them like I normally would.  Any other time and I could go to the ER with him and let her stay with the kids.  This really sucks.

ETA~ My dad has cellulitis on his leg.  Not good, but at least his fever wasn’t related to Covid-19.  His test results for that won’t be back for a few days, but it’s unlikely that he has coronavirus.  Such relief!

Edited by *Jessica*
  • Like 9
  • Sad 7

My younger sister, who has been self-quarantining in our basement apartment since she arrived from Toronto last week, tested positive yesterday. Her symptoms have been fatigue, brain fog, aches and pains, diarrhea, and loss of taste/smell. No fever, no cough, no breathing issues. She's 25, has no underlying health issues, and is starting to feel better already. My brother has been quarantining with her and hasn't had any symptoms, but will be tested tomorrow per our local testing guidelines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

50 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Dh’s coworker tested positive.   He is the same coworker who got dh sick in January leading dh to cancel his trip to philly.   They and about 5 others work in a one room small mobile office, sharing a bathroom.    I don’t know what to do.  Waiting to hear from Dh’s company right now. 

That is really scary.  I'm sorry.

36 minutes ago, In the Bight said:

My younger sister, who has been self-quarantining in our basement apartment since she arrived from Toronto last week, tested positive yesterday. Her symptoms have been fatigue, brain fog, aches and pains, diarrhea, and loss of taste/smell. No fever, no cough, no breathing issues. She's 25, has no underlying health issues, and is starting to feel better already. My brother has been quarantining with her and hasn't had any symptoms, but will be tested tomorrow per our local testing guidelines. 

I hope she continues to feel better and that your brother doesn't get sick.  Where are you located that she was able to get tested?  

39 minutes ago, In the Bight said:

It is such a weird virus.  So many symptoms match so many other issues (colds, allergies, etc).   I'm glad she's had a mild case and hope your husband doesn't have it. 

• Like 1

I am pretty sure my ds has it.  He's 25 and has asthma, lives three hours away, is all alone, on the spectrum, and doesn't drive.  I am really worried about him.  He's been sick for two weeks and contacted his doctor, but can't get tested (we're in Ohio).  I just shipped our thermometer and pulse oximeter to him.  He said he doesn't have shortness of breath, but is concerned because this has been going on for so long and he's worried he'll get worse because of the asthma.  He sent a message to his doctor again today, but I don't know if it will be seen before Monday.

I'm not sure what to do if something happens to him.  We'd go down there, but couldn't stay at his place so I guess we'd need a hotel.  If he was hospitalized, we couldn't be there either since no visitors are allowed.  It's scary.

• Sad 12

On 3/22/2020 at 2:48 PM, Sk8ermaiden said:

I'm kind of betting I have it. Zero symptoms at all except a dry cough and a scratchy tightness in my chest. Oh, I actually have TONS of drainage too - not a runny nose, but down my throat. However, Houston is the pollen capital of the world right now, so that part could very well be allergies - no way to know. I've felt this way since about the 11th of March. It doesn't get better or worse. The cough is not constant or bad. I am a little paranoid, but I can still take big, deep breaths with no problem so I'm still just hunkering down. 

If it helps, allergies can cause a cough especially if you have post nasal drip like that. Its pretty common. 

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Dh’s coworker tested positive.   He is the same coworker who got dh sick in January leading dh to cancel his trip to philly.   They and about 5 others work in a one room small mobile office, sharing a bathroom.    I don’t know what to do.  Waiting to hear from Dh’s company right now. 

Ugh. I'm assuming he's self isolating now? Hopefully they will test him. 

I live in the allergy capital of the country and I've never experienced this. It wasn't bad, but it is so, so different than any way I've ever been sick before. 

I feel like I'm on the upswing now. The tightness in my chest is lessening daily. The cough frequency is decreasing. However, my allergies seem to be starting up with a vengeance. Ugh. 

I feel absolutely, perfectly fine, but if I do even a moderate amount of moving around, I get short of breath and very tired and a little lightheaded and my chest gets tighter, so I've just been chillin...taking the slow road. I suppose it's good we're in this holding pattern in life. 

DD started coughing yesterday, at bedtime, but hers definitely sounds like the kind she gets with allergies and her congestion got worse right when mine did. She didn't cough today, so that's good. 

Whether I have it or not, I hate this stupid virus.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, In the Bight said:

Thank you, I appreciate hearing symptoms. 

Prayers for you all and the others who just posted about close contacts with positive tests

• Like 1

They aren't testing here unless symptoms are severe (e.g. needing hospital). Another local friend  is presumed to have it and she has really severe body aches and headaches. She tested negative for Flu A and B, and is presumed to have COVID. 

A friend posted this yesterday: It is useful because it shows how symptoms can be different depending on the person. 

(Husband) works in an emergency room, so we knew he would eventually bring home the Corona virus (presumptive/untested). We had a rough few days, but we are on the mend.
In light of all this, I want to make a case for why social distancing is so important, especially since this virus (presumptive) hasn’t presented the same in any of us.
On Tuesday and Wednesday this week (Husband) began sleeping a crazy amount, which I figured was from the stress of work. He had no other symptoms, so he dragged himself out of bed for his shift. It wasn’t until Thursday when his chest was a bit tight and he was coughing that he thought he might have the virus. He called employee health from the parking lot, and even though he felt fine, they very wisely told him stay home for seven days.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, I thought I was having some crazy spring allergy symptoms with a drippy nose, sneezing and an annoying dry cough. I wasn’t tired. By Thursday night I had a headache and started getting the tightness in my chest. By Friday, I was exhausted, had terrible body aches and slept half the day. On Saturday I barely got out of bed.
(Son) has been an emotional mess, had some stomach issues and couldn’t sleep due to body aches and headaches... though has been sleeping until 10 each morning.
THEN, there is asymptomatic (daughter), who bounced off the walls all week, and turned away friends at the door who requested to play, because I insisted we were social distancing just in case we were carrying the virus. 

• Like 2

Today is the first day since March 3rd that my lungs have felt all the way normal. An entire freaking month y'all. I have been so low-key scared for the last week and a half. 

I look forward to the time when we can get quick and easy antibody tests. I hope it happens sooner than later - our city is using blood from recovered people to try and help those in ICU and I would donate for sure if what I had was CV.

• Like 2

I am very skeptical, but if you or someone you know actually have it and would be willing to try a homeopathic remedy in the interests of non official crowd sourced anecdotal experiment (probably less than $10 online or local purchase for a tube of pellets and all that’s needed is 3-5 pellets from tube as a “dose.”   )

Here is a fairly measured discussion from a homeopath ND

http://paulherscuepidemics.blogspot.com/2020/03/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-part.html

and Here one from a homeopathic leaning veterinarian: 

https://m.facebook.com/rpitcairn/posts/10156865820331817

They have differing approaches obviously!

I should say that I have seen some amazing things on occasion from homeopathy with pets or even myself, but am dubious about it with regard to CV19.  Plus other homeopaths have other ideas of what would be correct remedy. 

My cousin's 60 year old, healthy, 10K running husband is on a vent in the UK with it. Also a school friend in his early 50s is very sick on a vent in Georgia. The families can't visit and are having to make do with a daily phone call from the dr to update. That is so hard! 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dad called me tonight. My mother, who has Alzheimer's and has lived in a nursing home for eight years, has been exposed to the virus; a nurse's aide is positive. Everyone will be tested, but they told my dad that it may be a week or more before we get results. Mom is 83 and is in a very advanced stage of Alzheimer's. She does not walk or feed herself and needs close personal care, so she is at very high risk.  I would appreciate your prayers. My mother's name is Sue.

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

24 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

My dad called me tonight. My mother, who has Alzheimer's and has lived in a nursing home for eight years, has been exposed to the virus; a nurse's aide is positive. Everyone will be tested, but they told my dad that it may be a week or more before we get results. Mom is 83 and is in a very advanced stage of Alzheimer's. She does not walk or feed herself and needs close personal care, so she is at very high risk.  I would appreciate your prayers. My mother's name is Sue.

I'll pray for you mom.  My parents are in a similar situation, and my mother is in a nursing home as well where three people have tested positive (they all had symptoms) and one has unfortunately died.  It's interesting how different states handle this.  My mother's nursing home is isolating everyone in their rooms, but only testing if there are actual symptoms.   This isn't their own decision;  they're working closely with our state's department of health.  They do seem to be really on the ball and doing everything they can to keep everyone safe.  But, it's a scary time for people with families there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yes, praying for both @Storygirl and @J-rap

@TCB  how is your cousin's husband?

He is doing better. Still on a vent but may get extubated in the next couple of days. They’ve reduced his sedation and are letting him wake up a bit. My cousin is allowing herself to feel more optimistic. Amazingly she didn’t seem to get the virus!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TCB said:

He is doing better. Still on a vent but may get extubated in the next couple of days. They’ve reduced his sedation and are letting him wake up a bit. My cousin is allowing herself to feel more optimistic. Amazingly she didn’t seem to get the virus!

I'm glad there's been good progress.   💗

• Like 1

Oldest DD came down with a fever last night.  Her chest also is bothering her just a bit.  

DH has a fever and cough today.  DH is an essential worker so he has been still working.  A worker in another area of the plant was sick last week. They take lots of pre-cautions and he was never in the same room with her. Who knows.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Sad 3

Just wanted to get on here and update that my cousin's husband has been extubated! He is doing fairly well respiratory wise but was extremely confused and disoriented and so quite agitated. They had to give him meds just to calm him so they could keep his oxygen on etc. He was holding his own despite that. We're all so thankful he is doing well so far! My cousin is anxious to be able to talk to him on the phone at least when she can.

• Like 9

On 3/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, Happymomof1 said:

A doc  from here I know is on a vent.  And we barely have it in our area. 

51 docs have died in Italy.

The thought of what is coming for all of these healthcare workers...  The  illnesses and  deaths we will see in all of our friends in healthcare...   NOT saying all of the other deaths are not important.  EVERY SINGLE ONE MATTERS.  For me, this like worrying about those in the military when they go overseas.  They are in the frontlines now.

The medical community is keenly aware of this. There has been a lot of talk about the use of “hero” as a way of minimizing the preventable deaths of hundreds of healthcare workers. They don’t want to be “heros,” they want to do their jobs with the equipment that is necessary to stay well. 

• Thanks 2

On a very happy note, my uncle was removed from a ventilator yesterday after 21 days in the hospital and two weeks of sedation. He's breathing on his own, talking with a whisper, sleeping most of the time, and glad to be on this side of the grave. Oh, and he also got approved for a plasma donation.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 26

Another happy update! My cousin's husband is home! I talked to him today and he sounds good! He said it was a really traumatic experience but said the people looking after him were wonderful and enthusiastic and kind! We're all so happy!

• Like 16

My DH works in healthcare and saw a young patient (30's--obesity only risk factor) that he thought would NOT make it. He's kept an eye on the case, though he's not directly involved at this point. Patient went home with supplemental oxygen. Avoided a ventilator entirely--vapotherm, plaquenil, and proning were the main treatments. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, kbutton said:

My DH works in healthcare and saw a young patient (30's--obesity only risk factor) that he thought would NOT make it. He's kept an eye on the case, though he's not directly involved at this point. Patient went home with supplemental oxygen. Avoided a ventilator entirely--vapotherm, plaquenil, and proning were the main treatments. 

That's promising. My uncle was able to come off the vent 24 hours after his plasma donation went in. It was the boost he needed.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

Oldest daughter qualified for testing yesterday on day 9 of being sick.  She is just doing well enough to stay out of the hospital o2 is 92 pulse is 120+ definitely the sickest she has ever been in her life.  DH who is on his forties with asthma is recovered and fine they got sick at the same time.

• Sad 6