Menu

Alternative to lids for Pyrex Glass Bowls

Elfknitter.#

I have a set of Pyrex 2-cup and 4-cup bowls. I love them for food storage. I HATE the lids because inevitably they wind up cracking and needing to be replaced. I have ordered replacement lids from Amazon before and will probably wind up doing that again. However, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has other lid options that they have found successful. I was reading that some people have used silicon stretch lids instead but how good of a seal does that produce? I usually use these bowls for taking my meals to work, so I need something that will help prevent leaking.

• Like 3

I use my Pyrex only at home where I can put plastic wrap over top. I'm frustrated with the lids cracking so easily. I've switched to using Snapware when I need to take a lunch or for something portable. That's not what you are looking for, so I'll follow along since I have the same problem. I'd love to find lids that fit that also stand the test of time!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Laurie said:

I didn't listen to my mother.  She told me that the lids would crack if I put them in the dishwasher.  I still have those Pyrex bowls, minus the lids.

When I bought new bowls/lids I started handwashing the lids and none have cracked. 

Truth. I won't say whether mine go in the dishwasher or not though, lol! 

1 hour ago, Laurie said:

I didn't listen to my mother.  She told me that the lids would crack if I put them in the dishwasher.  I still have those Pyrex bowls, minus the lids.

When I bought new bowls/lids I started handwashing the lids and none have cracked. 

I have no choice but to wash by hand because we do not have a dishwasher. I also never put the lids in the microwave. Still, they crack. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I hand wash the lids, and they crack anyway.

I only use them for storage at home. A plate on top seals them well enough for that, plus allows stacking.

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I'm also a fan of the plate on top of the bowl method.

If only I could transport them with a plate on top!

• Like 1

Meh...I've had a set of silicone lids for about a year.  They were fairly cheap on Amazon (<$8 / set).  They work really well if they're the right size for a given bowl; some tight enough that you could transport them.  But like Farrar said, there are some that don't seem to go with any of my bowls (?).  Those are worthless; a plate is better--can't transport.  

I don't know if it's just our family, but when we all use a cooler bag, things get all jumbled by the end of our day / outing.  I wouldn't trust the silicone lids to not leak, so we use Tupperware-type / Snapware-type stuff on the go. 

In the same predicament here...love Pyrex...lids always crack.  I was just thinking the other day that some company will eventually make a fortune selling replacement Pyrex lids at an affordable price point.  The Pyrex replacement lids are exorbitant...you could almost just buy an entire set (including the glass) at those prices--

• Like 1

A little off the topic, but here is something I'm switching to, when possible--Mason jars with plastic caps (to freeze soup, broth, pasta sauce, etc.): 

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-24-Pack-Bundle-Unlined-Ribbed/dp/B076VTY6XS/ref=sr_1_63?keywords=lids&qid=1581745515&sr=8-63

Obviously won't work for all things, but they'll fit on any large-mouth jar.  I've been using them on these short jars for hummus and individual lunch servings that can be reheated:

https://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Half-Pint-8-Ounces-12-Count-1-Case/dp/B0000BYD0F/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=mason+jar+short&qid=1581745672&s=home-garden&sr=1-22

You can also use 4-oz jars with narrow (regular) lids like the ones above for really small servings of things / dressing / etc.  

• Like 4

Fwiw, I have two sets of square glass storage containers, one from IKEA and one from Aldi. They all have heavy duty clip on lids that are unaffected by the dishwasher and microwave. Being square, they fit well into the fridge. This is the IKEA version

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-food-container-with-lid-square-glass-plastic-glass-s39269120/

• Like 1

I bought the Anchor glass storage bowls partly bc they have thick silicone lids. I have a set of three. They fit well and don't leak. 

Also made in the US and supposedly less likely to shatter than the pyrex. 

Not expensive. Target.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Found this forum after searching for solution myself today...

If you have the 2 cup (7200) bowls, I found these on amazon but I don’t see that they make them in any other sizes. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TP8XLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kinda spendy but found these for the 4 cup (7201) bowls: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081D9G23T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Silicone too so added advantage of no cracking, heat/freezer tolerant, dishwasher safe, bpa-free, environmentally friendly, leak proof.

Funny how different people have different experiences. I have a round set that has blue lids which are 10+ years old with zero cracks. I have a newer set with multicolored lids that haven't cracked either.  I put them in the dishwasher all the time (we don't use heated dry tho). I have rectangle ones that are 20+ years old, that are used at least weekly. None of them have cracked either.  I use the lids in the freezer, fridge and microwave. I easily have 15 containers, and the only thing I have had happen, is a lid go missing all together (I think dd13 tosses them).

For non-leak, I would switch to snap ware and ditch the idea of buying new lids. LOL

Edited by Tap

35 minutes ago, Tap said:

Funny how different people have different experiences. I have a round set that has blue lids which are 10+ years old with zero cracks. I have a newer set with multicolored lids that haven't cracked either.  I put them in the dishwasher all the time (we don't use heated dry tho). I have rectangle ones that are 20+ years old, that are used at least weekly. None of them have cracked either.  I use the lids in the freezer, fridge and microwave. I easily have 15 containers, and the only thing I have had happen, is a lid go missing all together (I think dd13 tosses them).

For non-leak, I would switch to snap ware and ditch the idea of buying new lids. LOL

I have the same experience.  My Pyrex bowls/lids are very old and I always run the lids in the dishwasher with no heated dry.  I've never had one crack!  I didn't even know this was an issue.  I use mine in the freezer, fridge, and microwave as well.  They are used all the time.  

I hate the snapware, though.  I have a set and only use them when I run out of Pyrex in the size I need.  

Edited by Kassia

23 minutes ago, Tap said:

It sounds like the older lids don't crack. I won't buy new Pyrex because within a month of frequent use (using primarily the dishwasher and sometimes the microwave), they're cracked. I have shifted to glass Snapware and love it! Much better than Pyrex, but also much more expensive.

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2020 at 11:23 AM, Laurie said:

I have been looking for lids for my frigoverre storage bowls by Bormioli Rocco. Can’t find them. These companies would make money on selling these lids. I don’t know why they don’t make them available.

I don't have a good solution for taking the dishes to work, but I have found the Costco plastic wrap (like Saran Wrap) to be the best for covering Pyrex bowls in the fridge.  For most things, I can even stack in the fridge when I use it.  Even DH who usually doesn't notice things like that says he would get a Costco membership simply for the wrap.  I have covered items to take to a covered dish with the wrap without spilling problems, but nothing too liquidy or being carried in a bag with many other things.  

I generally will take food to work in something with a better seal (thermos, mason jar, ziploc bag, etc) and have a few dishes I leave at work that I use to heat and serve the items. 

I take things to work in either wide mouthed canning jars or Pampered Chef rectangular glass dishes with lids that have four snap down seals, one on each side.  The PC ones come in sets of 3 or 4 sizes, and you can buy individual ones also.  I don’t use them for transporting very liquid things, because they are more wide and flat, but they are great for casseroles or even salads.  At work I have a PC white bowl that was intended for making pasta fresh in the microwave that I heat up soup in if I bring it in the canning jars.  And a PC ‘cozy’ to make it easy to move it around without dropping it even when it’s hot.

• 1 year later...

I'm here looking for silicone/glass replacement lids for my Pyrex mixing bowl set. I always hand wash my Pyrex plastic lids and never put in the microwave, but they always crack and I'm tried of buying the sorry Pyrex replacements. I found these for glass storage bowls (https://a.co/d/5k4p7Fu) but it looks like the dimensions won't fit my mixing bowls with the lip. Still searching ... 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, regentrude said:

I hand wash the lids, and they crack anyway.

Rats!! I just bought replacement lids about 10 months ago. Ive been harassing everyone to NOT PUT THEM IN THE DISHWASHER. And now you tell me they’ll crack any way?? Waah!

I am glad that this came up. I need to buy new storage bowls. I have a couple of Pyrex bowls with lids and while I haven't had any problems with them it is good to know that others have. My dd had the flip and click kind and hasn't had any problems with them so I will probably buy some of those.

I know it's a zombie thread, but I have a better solution than I used to! I have new silicone tops that actually fit a variety of bowls and seem to work. I feel like the stretchy silicone ones just got better. Or something. I took a risk on them... yet again... but this time it paid off.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I know it's a zombie thread, but I have a better solution than I used to! I have new silicone tops that actually fit a variety of bowls and seem to work. I feel like the stretchy silicone ones just got better. Or something. I took a risk on them... yet again... but this time it paid off.

Cool! Do you have a link or brand to recommend?

On 2/15/2020 at 9:53 AM, Laura Corin said:

Fwiw, I have two sets of square glass storage containers, one from IKEA and one from Aldi. They all have heavy duty clip on lids that are unaffected by the dishwasher and microwave. Being square, they fit well into the fridge. This is the IKEA version

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-365-food-container-with-lid-square-glass-plastic-glass-s39269120/

Just updating that over three years later, the original IKEA and Aldi lids are still going strong.

• Like 1

Everything that travels to work either goes in my lunch crock so it’ll be hot or a mason jar. If I’m going to need a plate for any of that, I just put a Corelle plate or pasta dish in my work bag. I also bring cutlery and a cloth napkin. I’m alone in my office so there’s nobody to judge me. 🤣

I bought a set of silicone ones on Amazon that have worked really well, but they cost as much as a whole new set!  Then I bought the kind with 4 snap sides and use those quite a bit.  

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Replacement-Container-Included-blue-Mint/dp/B089Y76PKS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=EQ1NLVG1X4JX&keywords=silicone+pyrex+lids&qid=1690052680&sprefix=silicone+pyrex+lids%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-3