Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

So the removalists here did go to Tailem Bend servo which is a pretty significant stop for most truck drivers and one is the workers there is showing cold flu symptoms and being tested. As of midnight all truck drivers have to get tested on entering the state.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Color me unsurprised 😕 . I remember data to this effect from like a year ago, from one of the countries that managed contact tracing better than us. Maybe South Korea? Not sure. But it was quite similar. 

Yep. Every time they’ve actually looked at it properly, that’s been the case…

57 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

As of yesterday, our State Premier is continuing to insist that 'schools are safe', using data collected a year ago, which coincided with a week of school holidays. 

…but like Melissa says; they keep using data from periods when schools were closed, or assuming the adults in the household have to be the index cases, or other such nonsense. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Your flu shot may protect against severe COVID, study finds — but it’s not clear why

Your flu shot may protect against severe COVID, study finds — but it’s not clear why (yahoo.com)

Need to read this but wondering if they controlled for health habits - as in people likely to get a flu shot more likely to practice things like washing hands, masking, etc? Like, I seem to remember there is also a correlation with lower death even from accidents with people that get flu shots. 

Or, maybe it just stirs up the immune system priming it to be ready to fight.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, calbear said:

It never left for the record.

16 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ah ok so they are just affirming that nothing is changing.  I lose track of which states are doing what 

California backpedals after saying schools should bar maskless students from campus:https://abc7.com/california-schools-mask-mandates-covid-school-rules/10883187/

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Elfknitter.# said:

California backpedals after saying schools should bar maskless students from campus:https://abc7.com/california-schools-mask-mandates-covid-school-rules/10883187/

Yikes:

The rules say students who are exposed to someone who has the virus don't have to stay home for 10 days to quarantine. They can continue to attend class if they don't have symptoms and if they keep wearing a mask and are tested twice a week for 10 days. But they can't participate in sports or other extracurricular activities during that period.”

It baffles me that people fight so hard against doing things to end a pandemic. And thus, here we are. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yikes:

The rules say students who are exposed to someone who has the virus don't have to stay home for 10 days to quarantine. They can continue to attend class if they don't have symptoms and if they keep wearing a mask and are tested twice a week for 10 days. But they can't participate in sports or other extracurricular activities during that period.”

It baffles me that people fight so hard against doing things to end a pandemic. And thus, here we are. 

Having had a kid quarantined, and knowing of another who was quarantined twice in the last 1.5 months of school, I understand this, especially if there is no option for real-time online co-learning in quarantine.  I can also understand it from the perspective of working parents of young kids.

AFAIK few if any of the quarantined kids in our batch actually caught COVID, and the quarantines are quite disruptive, especially since they can occur over and over for a child who never actually catches COVID.  Testing twice a week + masking  would give me more than enough comfort.  Maybe they could move these kids' chairs to the side of the room (outside of 6' range) also.  But denying them an education isn't fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SKL said:

Having had a kid quarantined, and knowing of another who was quarantined twice in the last 1.5 months of school, I understand this, especially if there is no option for real-time online co-learning in quarantine.  I can also understand it from the perspective of working parents of young kids.

AFAIK few if any of the quarantined kids in our batch actually caught COVID, and the quarantines are quite disruptive, especially since they can occur over and over for a child who never actually catches COVID.  Testing twice a week + masking  would give me more than enough comfort.  Maybe they could move these kids' chairs to the side of the room (outside of 6' range) also.  But denying them an education isn't fair.

I understand that, and the quarantines are probably one of the most disruptive, difficult things as far as prevention measures go. I’m still frustrated, though, because it wouldn’t be an issue if everyone got their vaccine. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ah ok so they are just affirming that nothing is changing.  I lose track of which states are doing what 

It was hard to keep track of even what just my own son school was doing as rules changed multiple times — and the high school was different than the elementary school — and both were different than a friend’s school 30 miles away.   It wasn’t just a single state rule. I don’t know if California is. As an even larger state it has even more variable conditions . 

Some schools afaik had change to masks not being required *outside* anymore — especially important in heat wave conditions 

currently I think our state dropped mask mandate but some locations still require them

Usually we don’t have summer school locally here (other than some special needs or special enrichment programs or credit recovery or university summer sessions) but there is  this year perhaps to make up for missed schooling in the past two years

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:21 AM, Melissa Louise said:

I don't know why it would be a wake up call - young people are more likely to be working out of the home in retail, and vanishingly less likely to be able to access vaccination. 

Chant should have said it was a wake up call for those holding parties. 

Yes, my brother said that there was some research that most of the reason it didn't matter whether people had mask mandates in CA but not FL and there death rates, etc were the same (and really FL should have had much higher just because it is much higher age range) and that it was things like birthday parties that continued that caused the spread-- not work, not stores, parties.

• Like 2

Just now, TravelingChris said:

Yes, my brother said that there was some research that most of the reason it didn't matter whether people had mask mandates in CA but not FL and there death rates, etc were the same (and really FL should have had much higher just because it is much higher age range) and that it was things like birthday parties that continued that caused the spread-- not work, not stores, parties.

We've had two clusters just now spreading from parties. Some people are really selfish. 

Off to watch over my little kiddos at school; hoping they can all manage the SD. Usually they rush in for hugs, to hold my hand, to hold my bag, my skirt, or want to 'tell me things'. Today, I just would prefer they didn't breath too close to me!

On 7/6/2021 at 1:26 PM, Corraleno said:

Excerpt from an article discussing data from Johns Hopkins that, unsurprisingly, shows the lowest vax states currently have the highest case rates:

"States with below-average vaccination rates have almost triple the rate of new Covid-19 cases compared to states with above-average vaccination rates, according to new data from Johns Hopkins University.  As of Sunday, states with lower rates of vaccination reported an average of 6 new cases per 100,000 residents every day over the past week, according to Johns Hopkins. States with higher vaccination rates reported an average of 2.2 new cases per 100,000 residents each day over the past week. 

Arkansas, where less than 35% of residents were fully vaccinated Sunday, averaged 16 new cases per 100,000 residents every day over the past week, according to Johns Hopkins. That’s about five times the nationwide rate of new cases. And Arkansas is one of 10 states where the rate of new cases jumped more than 25% over the past week compared to the previous week. Of those 10 states, all but one – Delaware – had below-average vaccination rates. 

On the flip side, Vermont leads the country in vaccination rates, with 66% of its residents fully vaccinated. Vermont also has the lowest rate of new Covid-19 cases – less than 1 per 100,000 residents each day over the past week, according to Johns Hopkins. That’s a decrease of nearly 16% from the previous week.

The gap in progress between highly vaccinated states and those lagging in vaccinations keeps growing. Parts of the South, Southwest and Midwest are starting to see surges, said Dr. Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University. Florida is getting hit particularly hard, with about 17% of all new cases in the US being reported out of the Sunshine State, he said. 

And for young people who don’t think they need to get vaccinated, Reiner said his hospital has seen plenty of young adults suffering from Covid-19 or complications of long Covid months after infection. “What I would say to young people is that Covid-19 doesn’t have to kill you to wreck your life,” he said. 

JHU data: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region

Although the article doesn't mention it, low vax states also have very high positivity rates, e.g. the three states with the lowest vax rates are Mississippi (28% vaxxed, 16% positivity), Alabama (31% vaxxed, 20% positivity), and Arkansas (32% vaxxed, 11% positivity). Compare that to the three states with the highest vax rates, Vermont, Massachusetts, and Maine (62-66% vaxxed, 0.3-0.7% positivity.)

Nobody is getting tested here.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:04 AM, Laura Corin said:

England planning a big opening up. Despite the high vaccination rate I'm really worried. The rationale is that the NHS can cope with an increased case load now but not during the coming flu season, people are not spreading the virus so much because they are outside in the good weather, and schools/universities are not in session. 

The confounding factor is England's success in the football tournament, leading to lots of people sitting around drinking and yelling in pubs and homes.

BBC News - Covid: What's the roadmap for lifting lockdown?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

BBC News - Covid: Watching Euros may be behind rise in infections in men
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57754938

We were watching Euro at home

Anyone know what the deal is with Peru? Most countries are running at between 1800 and 2500 deaths per million total population.  Peru is over the 5000 mark.  I know they have the lambda variant.  Is there other explanations as well?  Are they counting deaths differently?  Do they not have any control measures?  How is the count so high?  The next country down on that measure is Hungary and they’re more around the 3000 mark.

• Sad 2

from abc - 
Victoria's cases: breakdown of the chains 

There are two chains of transmission in Victoria. 

One is a family of four in Hume who tested positive after coming from Sydney and the other is the removalists associated with the Ariele Apartments cluster.

Of the seven confirmed cases, four are from the Ariele Apartments third floor, where the removalists were working. One of them is a 60-year-old man who's a neighbour, and the other is a household of three people.

Another two cases are the 60-year-old man's parents.

All other third floor residents have returned negative results. 

Exposure sites listed so far: 

• Coles in Cragieburn: Friday July 9
  • Ballan Mobile and McDonalds 
  • Ariele Apartments
  • MCG: Saturday July 10 
  • Highpoint Shopping Centre: Friday July 9 (specific exposure sites confirmed this afternoon)

City of Hume: Family off four returned under red zone permit 

One of the family members did go to Coles for a short period of time.

One person who was at the Cragieburn Coles has also tested positive. 

• Thanks 1

And another case for Vic and we just got a second press conference for the day, lucky is.  Apparently they were feeling kind of relaxed about the servo with 20 QR code’s but credit card info is showing another story.  And yet more talk of… reconsider your travel plans. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If you want different stats than positivity, this map shows cases per 100k residents. You can also click on individual counties. Florida is 2nd in the nation with cases per 100K I think, if I'm looking at all this properly. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

How is “case” determined? And is the determination of “cases” consistent from place to place? 

17 minutes ago, Pen said:

How is “case” determined? And is the determination of “cases” consistent from place to place? 

For that map? Clicking on the "about this data" box at the bottom says that cases are as reported by state and local health departments. 

Honestly, NO data is going to be perfect...living in a state that has done some fancy footwork with data, I get that. But I have to go by SOMETHING, and so I look at cases per 100K, positivity rates, hospitalizations, etc. Cause, what else can I do?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If you want different stats than positivity, this map shows cases per 100k residents. You can also click on individual counties. Florida is 2nd in the nation with cases per 100K I think, if I'm looking at all this properly. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

I like these charts.  You can move the curser around any particular state and see the 14-day trend for any county.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

For that map? Clicking on the "about this data" box at the bottom says that cases are as reported by state and local health departments. 

Honestly, NO data is going to be perfect...living in a state that has done some fancy footwork with data, I get that. But I have to go by SOMETHING, and so I look at cases per 100K, positivity rates, hospitalizations, etc. Cause, what else can I do?

It is a hard situation to be in. 🙁

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

It is a hard situation to be in. 🙁

Yup, and I don't mean to be dismissive of the problems with the data - trust me, I find it infuriating actually. I think I'm just past that particular anger, lol. (remember, we have the data scientist who was fired, arrested, etc...it was a huge topic for a while. Now we are only reporting on the state website once a week, rather than daily, and it's a huge guess as to how accurate any of it really is. 

• Like 1

I thought we needed some good news.  Niue has achieved herd immunity even for the delta variant with 97 percent now vaccinated with their second shot!  I am so proud of them. They will be opening back up for tourism for tourists who are vaccinated, and we will definitely be going. 

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/446925/niue-achieves-herd-immunity-for-covid

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

I thought "removalist" sounded like a pest control company but for people! I suppose that would be a company the specializes in evictions.

I wondered if it was someone that cleaned up after an eviction until I googled it.

• Like 1