Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

US study (most authors are at U Chicago) just published in Science found really good results both in vitro and in mice using a drug called Masitinib, which has already had Phase 2/3 trials in humans for a wide variety of other diseases. Excerpt:

Masitinib treatment [in mice] resulted in over 2-logs reduction in viral titers in the lungs and nose on day 6 (Fig. 4, B and C). It further improved overall lung pathology (as blindly assessed by a veterinarian pathologist; Fig. 4, E and F) and significantly reduced the levels of key pro-inflammatory cytokines (such as IL-1β and IFNγ) in the lungs (Fig. 4G). Further, we observed improvements in survival (Fig. 4D), weight loss (fig. S10B) and clinical scores (fig. S10C) with masitinib treatment. Taken together, our results show that masitinib is effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 viral load in mice (reducing >99% of the viral load on day 6), reduced inflammatory signatures, and showed potential benefits for survival and clinical scores.
In addition to its direct antiviral effect described here, masitinib has been shown to decrease airway inflammation and improve lung functions in a feline model of asthma (40). Given that a main pathology of SARS-CoV-2 is ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), the combined antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of masitinib might prove beneficial for treating COVID-19 patients. However, the timing of masitinib’s anti-inflammatory effects should be carefully studied, as it is not clear if a reduction in the inflammatory response would be desirable at the early phases of disease that is dominated by viral replication.

Future efforts should evaluate the efficacy of masitinib in treating COVID-19 patients. While a phase 2 clinical trial has been registered with ClinicalTrials.gov (Identifier: NCT04622865) to test the effect of a combined treatment of masitinib and isoquercetin on hospitalized patients, our data suggests that masitinib would be most beneficial at early times after infection, when an antiviral is likely to have the biggest effect. Oral use of masitinib would make such early treatment feasible. Furthermore, future development of masitinib analogs with lower anti-tyrosine kinase activity would be beneficial to reduce its reported side effects. Masitinib is also interesting in that it is potent against multiple corona and picornaviruses in vitro and may have potential for treating other viral diseases.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/07/19/science.abg5827

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

from ABC

@Not_a_Number - re outdoor transmission (sorry about the huge font)

VIC: AAMI park exposure site of particular concern

As we heard a short time ago, two of today's new cases are linked to AAMI park, and were both seated within "two or three rows" of the index case.

Professor Sutton says while that's not uncommon indoors, for it to occur outdoors is "of some concern".

"If you are sitting in zone two, sections 22, 23 or 24, you need to be quarantining right now," he said.

Oh, geez. That's just scary. 

What are people hearing about the risk to the elderly who are vaccinated.  I am having trouble figuring out how the 90% protected interacts with the high risk level before the vaccine.  

I read here that unvaccinated people over 85 are 600 times as likely as 18-29 year olds to die from covid.  If so does that mean my vaccinated loved one is still 60 times as likely to die as an unvaccinated 18-29 year old?   Because if that’s true than I need to rethink my decision about my kids and school.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

@wathe and @TCB what are you seeing in real life?

Edited by BaseballandHockey
Made no sense
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Ausmum I see there are 6 more cases for your state this afternoon

thinking of you 

Thank you yes.  5 cases linked to a winery.  It’s mostly outdoor dining there though the cases may have been staff.  In terms of safe locations I would have thought they would have been OK. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I will be 100% consistent with what I have said about  any “expert”. Unless you are an actual medical expert in virology or epidemiology then I don’t give them any more credence than a well read WTM board member. I may agree or disagree with their opinion but they aren’t a reputable expert on the subject. 

For me, it depends on what they are talking about.  For example, I read a article in a scientific magazine written by 2 bio-physicists who have been devoting their studies to viruses- there title was actually something more specific than bio-physicist but they were some type of virologist physicist combo and looking at their credentials, they checked out.  I may also listen to all kinds of other medical experts if they are talking about their field- rheumatology expert discussing COVID in rheumatology, for example.    

That guy had woo credentials and I just stay away from woo people all together.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Does anyone know where we can find a list of drugs that target the E protein?  Cause none of the articles I could find actually listed the drugs.

7 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

What are people hearing about the risk to the elderly who are vaccinated.  I am having trouble figuring out how the 90% protected interacts with the high risk level before the vaccine.  

I read here that unvaccinated people over 85 are 600 times as likely as 18-29 year olds to die from covid.  If so does that mean my vaccinated loved one is still 60 times as likely to die as an unvaccinated 18-29 year old?   Because if that’s true than I need to rethink my decision about my kids and school.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

We are not seeing the vaccinated elderly in ICU, or at least not seriously ill and intubated. It is startling the difference between unvaccinated and vaccinated in ICU. 
Having said that, my vaccinated elderly parents are still being cautious, wearing masks inside and not going just anywhere, and I’m glad they aren’t just throwing caution to the wind.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think that once you take a 20th of the risk, it’s in line with other risks. Pretty much everything is riskier for an elderly person than for a 20-year-old…

• Like 2

Do any of our hive experts know anything about this herb? This was posted on one of my groups by someone who works with a mission group in Thailand. It definitely sounds like this might lead to a new first stage antiviral, which would be awesome, if it pans out.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/2101707/a-promising-development-in-the-fight-against-covid?fbclid=IwAR2CwD0isSYIzUlYcRi0BCRBgspXsJARCuT3hk5FmHCdqlWw6Zfp-wZf_2w

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

For me, it depends on what they are talking about.  For example, I read a article in a scientific magazine written by 2 bio-physicists who have been devoting their studies to viruses- there title was actually something more specific than bio-physicist but they were some type of virologist physicist combo and looking at their credentials, they checked out.  I may also listen to all kinds of other medical experts if they are talking about their field- rheumatology expert discussing COVID in rheumatology, for example.    

That guy had woo credentials and I just stay away from woo people all together.

He’s totally woo.  But linked at the bottom of the article linked above is an article he wrote about how the woo community worldview is vulnerable to conspiracy-thinking, and that’s an area where he has some expertise.  

I read it hoping to gain some common vocabulary for talking with my essential-oil peddling, yoga-teaching, COVID-denying relatives.  I think it will be helpful.  

Edited by Danae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Do any of our hive experts know anything about this herb? This was posted on one of my groups by someone who works with a mission group in Thailand. It definitely sounds like this might lead to a new first stage antiviral, which would be awesome, if it pans out.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/2101707/a-promising-development-in-the-fight-against-covid?fbclid=IwAR2CwD0isSYIzUlYcRi0BCRBgspXsJARCuT3hk5FmHCdqlWw6Zfp-wZf_2w

I wouldn't put much stock in that report. There was no control group, they said it's only appropriate for people with mild or asymptomatic cases, and it resolves the (mild) symptoms within 5-7 days — which is probably true for most people with mild or asymptomatic cases even without the herb. They did not even do PCR tests to confirm that the virus was cleared, just relied on patient reports that they felt better. You can't take it for more than 5-7 days or it causes numbness in extremities, lowers blood pressure, and can cause kidney issues, and the fact that it can't be taken by anyone who is pregnant, nursing, or using blood thinners or blood pressure medications, would eliminate a huge percentage of the US population that is most at risk for developing severe covid anyway.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Andrographis is part of Buhner Lyme protocol.  

And a bottle of andrographis tincture is part of my tick bite first aid kit.  I think it’s at its best very early at slightest sign of something it might help (tick bite, slight skin infection, slight respiratory infection) being wrong. And best in conjunction with other herbs, vitamins etc. 

Like many herbs it has broad uses, including traditionally for respiratory infections .

I have used it successfully topically on a dog skin infection where vet remedies had been unsuccessfully tried first... the only situation I had personal experience of it dealing successfully with a problem beyond the very early stage. 

As a tincture it is very bitter! 

I personally lean toward IVM and HCQ/zinc in re CV19, but given general use for respiratory infections andrographis could well be useful. Houttuynia herb was, according to Buhner, apparently helpful for genetically similar SARS1. 

21 hours ago, calbear said:

This is a cost no one has really been talking about...how many children have lost their parent/primary caregiver. The disproportionate impact on families of color...and the long term impact for this children's futures.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nearly-120-000-children-us-100606407.html

Thank you for sharing this  One of the things that consistently bothers me when people say that children aren’t seriously affected by Covid, is that it neglects to take into account the significant impacts on kids when their loved ones are impacted. Kids don’t live in bubbles. For 120,000 kids in this country to have lost their primary caregiver is an incredible tragedy. We can’t protect kids without also protecting adults.

15 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

And they definitely spend more time reading other Hive members' research 😉 . I do think that having a community of engaged, interested people to talk to can be super helpful. 

I agree, but also caution that needs to be balanced by reading actual expert sources yourself as well. Because for a large portion of the people who’ve been sucked into the conspiracy theory and pseudoscience and denial stuff, that’s all coming from them having a community of other people also into those things that they are engaging with, and they’re all just getting deeper and deeper into it together. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

That article includes the following statement:

"a U.S. study not yet peer-reviewed, found that when tested against all variants, the overall vaccine effectiveness of the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines after two doses at preventing hospitalization was 86.9% — although it should be noted that the alpha variant was the most common type, 59.7% of sequenced viruses, in the study data."

So that is only 87% effective against hospitalization, not even infection, and that is against all variants, so would likely be even lower against Delta. 

Does anyone know what study they are referencing here? I can't seem to find any links to the actual study.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

UK sees 44,104 more Covid-19 cases in highest Wednesday figure since January 13 - and 73 more deaths (msn.com)

'I'm sorry, but it's too late' - unvaccinated patients beg for shot; here comes the lambda variant: COVID news (msn.com)

You got a coronavirus vaccine. But you still became infected. How did that happen? (msn.com)

Whether the breakthrough infection that involves symptoms could result in long covid remains unknown.

“We’re in a data-free zone here,” said Steven G. Deeks, an infectious-disease physician at the University of California at San Francisco who studies covid-19′s long-term effects. “We have no idea — none whatsoever — as to whether breakthrough infections will cause PASC,” he said, referring to post-acute sequelae of covid-19, the clinical name for long covid.

Deeks hypothesizes that long covid depends, in part, on the amount of virus present in the early stage of infection.

“One hopes that the virus load in people with breakthrough infections will generally be lower,” Deeks said. That, in turn, could mean a lower risk for developing long covid.

COVID-19 cases in US triple over 2 weeks amid misinformation (msn.com)

U.S. Life Expectancy Plunged in 2020, Especially for Black and Hispanic Americans (msn.com)

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Deeks hypothesizes that long covid depends, in part, on the amount of virus present in the early stage of infection.

If his hypothesis is correct, then Delta may cause significantly more cases of long covid than we've seen so far with earlier variants, since the data from this study showed viral load was more than 1000 times higher with Delta vs the original strain.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If his hypothesis is correct, then Delta may cause significantly more cases of long covid than we've seen so far with earlier variants, since the data from this study showed viral load was more than 1000 times higher with Delta vs the original strain.

But how does it follow that so very many who were not very sick originally end up with long covid, like myself?  I thought the viral load being larger made for more serious sickness.  But I would almost say the majority of long haulers on the support groups were not hospitalized and say their initial illness was mild or moderate.   I have major brain fog so if this doesn't make sense, just blame that 😂

• Sad 5

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/coronacast/what-can-we-learn-from-the-uks-freedom-day/13464184

Coronacast today is worth a listen or a scan through the transcript.  Really really need 80-90 pc vaccination rates to open up safely. The potential for new variants to surface in the UK is high.

The situation here is worrying me.  Even with pretty strict lockdowns VIC and NSW have only managed to stabilise the numbers they aren’t going down.  VIC has 26 cases today.  I suspect speed of transmission is the issue- 24 hour turn around with test results is no longer enough. If the virus is transmitted within 24 hours contact tracing your way out is an issue.

As mentioned by Melissa, we had six more cases last night in my state.  One of those was exposed around lunch time and worked at a school next day, so it will be interesting to see whether there’s any transmission there in terms of time-frames.  Obviously really hoping not, but will give some indication of where things are going.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

But how does it follow that so very many who were not very sick originally end up with long covid, like myself?  I thought the viral load being larger made for more serious sickness.  But I would almost say the majority of long haulers on the support groups were not hospitalized and say their initial illness was mild or moderate.   I have major brain fog so if this doesn't make sense, just blame that 😂

This is what I’ve heard as well, theres even mostly asymptomatic people developing issues.  

from abc - again sorry for the big font but this is yet another example of likely outdoor transmission.  Seems like outdoor non-crowded might be OK but for those going Covid zero avoiding crowded situations will still be important.

VIC: COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar says the AAMI Park case is interesting

This is a person who was at the rugby international between Australia and France.

The person sat well outside the Tier 1 area, and was Tier 2 and got tested as part of that definition.

Those areas were revised after health officials saw some evidence of mingling outside of the grounds, which included the new case who moved from a Tier 2 zone to a Tier 1 zone case.

Initially while in Tier 2 this individual tested negative. The person was retested when he moved into the Tier 1 classification and was found to be positive.

The change in zones was made after health officials examined CCTV footage outside the ground.

"We've seen this case mingling. We know it's another case of transmission in the queues outside the ground getting in this case to gate 7," he said.

"Again we're seeing this evidence of transmission in those unstructured crowds outside those major events. That's why it was so important for us to have expanded this Tier 1 transmission."

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From ABC:
A Tasmanian man in his 40s has died after receiving his first dose of AstraZeneca

He was a confirmed case of thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS), and his death will be investigated by the coroner.

In all good conscience, I still can't encourage anyone under 40 to get AZ. 

Mayb if NSW lose control of Delta and lift restrictions, I guess. 

• Like 2

One thing that’s making me really frustrated is the prime minister constantly insinuating that vaccine hesitancy is the problem and at this point it really isn’t. Most people I know are willing to take Pfizer they just aren’t willing to risk Astra Zeneca.  The government is pushing the line that people should just take the AZ to avoid the COVID risk instead of acknowledging that they should have planned for more vaccine options in the first place😬.  Anti-vaccination is not our problem - lack of supply of a relatively safe vaccine is the problem.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

One thing that’s making me really frustrated is the prime minister constantly insinuating that vaccine hesitancy is the problem and at this point it really isn’t. Most people I know are willing to take Pfizer they just aren’t willing to risk Astra Zeneca.  The government is pushing the line that people should just take the AZ to avoid the COVID risk instead of acknowledging that they should have planned for more vaccine options in the first place😬.  Anti-vaccination is not our problem - lack of supply of a relatively safe vaccine is the problem.

Except in some places (Byron!) we're not a vaccine adverse nation. With good leadership and vaccine availability, getting to 80% should be possible.

At this stage we just need an alt vaccine for under 40's...Pfizer, Moderna, whatever. Trust is gone with AZ for that cohort. 

I'm pretty peeved at the 1 in 4 over 70's who are waiting for Pfizer though. Risk- benefit clearly in favour of AZ for them, esp in an outbreak.

Edited by Melissa Louise
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Anti-vaccination is not our problem - lack of supply of a relatively safe vaccine is the problem.

I reckon our vaccination rates would be much higher if we could have got Pfizer from our local doctor instead of messing about with the online booking system and travelling out of town. *shrug* Maybe there's a good reason for that stuff though.

2 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I reckon our vaccination rates would be much higher if we could have got Pfizer from our local doctor instead of messing about with the online booking system and travelling out of town. *shrug* Maybe there's a good reason for that stuff though.

It seems totally random who had had a smooth path to vaccination and who hasn't. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Agree with the frustration. We have vaccine for under 18's here, but it's only one option. Pfizer is a good option for many, but for younger males there is increased risk in the vaccine.

I have literally had people say, "you're just asking for a different color lifeboat". There's a vaccine so it should be taken, otherwise resistance is considered irrational vaccine hesitancy.

We are in a fortunate location for many, that get vaccines that are right for them. But there is still work to be done. If we are supposed to vaccinate under 18's, then more than one option would be helpful. More types for adults would be helpful as well. I'm hopeful for Novavax.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

25 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I'm pretty peeved at the 1 in 4 over 70's who are waiting for Pfizer though. Risk- benefit clearly in favour of AZ for them, esp in an outbreak.

My husband’s elderly aunts in Australia aren’t willing to take the risk with AZ. They aren’t going out anyway and they have children dropping off groceries. 

• Like 2

@Melissa in Australia

VIC: new local case visited a petrol station in East Gippsland

Do we know where the regional service station is?

-CH

Jeroen Weimar says, "the regional case that travelled back ... was in East Gippsland so they were coming back."

"It's one of the Trinity Grammar cases. They were travelling back when they got the message to go into isolation. They made a brief stop to get fuel for understandable reasons.

"The team checked the CCTV footage last night and it's exactly what we expect people to do. Great result.

Reporter asks: "What did that case do? What sort of things?"

Jeroen Weimar says, "they were masked. They sanitised their hands before they went into the servo. They sanitised their credit card."

"They kept their distance. They were in there for literally moments, the bare minimum engagement they needed to have.

"This is exactly the kind of thing, people have to make tough choices and if you're from East Gippsland to the city, that's challenging and you need to get fuel.

"I commend that person. 26 cases, 24 completely in quarantine. That's one of the cases that wasn't and she's done a fantastic job, I think."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I have heard it is the temperature it has to be stored at. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

@Melissa in Australia

VIC: new local case visited a petrol station in East Gippsland

Do we know where the regional service station is?

-CH

Jeroen Weimar says, "the regional case that travelled back ... was in East Gippsland so they were coming back."

"It's one of the Trinity Grammar cases. They were travelling back when they got the message to go into isolation. They made a brief stop to get fuel for understandable reasons.

"The team checked the CCTV footage last night and it's exactly what we expect people to do. Great result.

Reporter asks: "What did that case do? What sort of things?"

Jeroen Weimar says, "they were masked. They sanitised their hands before they went into the servo. They sanitised their credit card."

"They kept their distance. They were in there for literally moments, the bare minimum engagement they needed to have.

"This is exactly the kind of thing, people have to make tough choices and if you're from East Gippsland to the city, that's challenging and you need to get fuel.

"I commend that person. 26 cases, 24 completely in quarantine. That's one of the cases that wasn't and she's done a fantastic job, I think."

Thanks. Will look up the exact town. East gipps is my area

• Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My husband’s elderly aunts in Australia aren’t willing to take the risk with AZ. They aren’t going out anyway and they have children dropping off groceries. 

We have limited Pfizer; I think it should be going to those ATAGI recommends it for - the under 60's and the under 40's particularly. 

I've had AZ. All my relatives over 50 have had AZ. We are happy for Pfizer to be going to younger family members ( only the 40-50 yrs group so far, but hopefully younger groups as soon as there is capacity). 

25 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

We have limited Pfizer; I think it should be going to those ATAGI recommends it for - the under 60's and the under 40's particularly. 

We understand. Our elderly relatives in Singapore had Pfizer. It is hard to convince “hermits” that the covid risk is going to be higher than AZ risk when they rather wait for more vaccination choices. Even my parents and in-laws make sure their wills are in order and they had Pfizer. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

However the UK also tests much more.  We are offered two free lateral flow tests per week to use at home.  Eta other countries may have much higher rates than they are aware of.

https://youtu.be/KnCgQQ8yLAw

Screenshot_20210722-095224_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1