Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Can you explain what this means about how it got from quarantine into the community? Are you saying it would have been from a border worker?

It had to come through a border worker. The man was in a military operated quarantine facility. The only way out was through a border worker, and they are 100% vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is NOT what I wanted to see. Ugh. Mono did such a number on me and triggered immune system disorders that I am still dealing with decades later. I do not want reactived EB in my body at all EVER.

https://www.sciencealert.com/mounting-evidence-suggests-many-covid-19-long-haulers-are-co-infected-with-epstein-barr

Edited by calbear
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 10

Just a bit of humour to lighten the mood.  Kiwis are rating our 1pm briefings on IMDb. 🙂 And I agree, they are the best hour of my day. I never missed them before, and certainly haven't this time around. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12511606/

"The return of the daily 1pm Covid-19 briefings has seen IMDb users once again take to the internet to rate the episodes, as Aotearoa grapples with a Delta-induced lockdown.

In August 2020, a spoof page appeared on the Internet Movie database site, with many declaring the daily appearances of the New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield their “favourite show of 2020”.

While there’s confusion among those tabling the ratings whether the latest set of Covid-19 briefings is season 2, 3 or 4, there seems to be agreement that the 1pm updates have “started with a bang”.

The 1pm daily Covid-19 briefing now has an online rating of 9.3 out of 10.

The IMDB ratings page has had 218 users file written reviews on the 1pm Covid-19 briefings.
”Starting with a bang on a Tuesday night. Ramping up fast,” one said. “New Characters abound. Strap in, grab a beer, watch and learn.”

A user who rated the show 8 out of 10, said: “I made sure I had my lunch ready (freshly baked lockdown loaf out of the oven) and the TV on at 1pm sharp today to tune into the 3rd series of what has become a cult telly show in Aotearoa/NZ.”

Another declared: “Delta is here to shake up season 3.”

One writer had high hopes for the new season, saying “the Auckland mini series earlier this year was a little weak but this is them at their best. Polite, charming and fearless. They wouldn't look out of place wearing capes and underpants outside their trousers.”

They also commended the debut appearance of Police Commissioner Andrew Coster.

”There are a couple of weak points. I feel the wardrobe department could put in a little more effort dressing the cast. Having said that, the chief of police looked great and gave an impressive performance on his first appearance as The Enforcer.”

As Auckland awaits news if its 7-day lockdown will be extended, one user summed up the hopes of the viewing public: “Back for another season, hopefully a short but informative series.”

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 10
  • Haha 14

So yesterday masks are now compulsory in all indoor venues in the entire country.  And this is from a country that has not ever had any masking requirements at all in the last 17 months. Even our lockdown to eliminate covid 16 months ago was done without masks. So until yesterday, maybe 1 in 100 people I see in the city wear one.  So given that background, this is the part that made me laugh given all the threads I have read on this board. We are so small town down here.

Apparently TWO people were arrested today in NZ for refusing to wear masks in the grocery store. And it was headline news.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126120071/covid19-two-arrested-as-mask-use-becomes-compulsory-at-supermarkets

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, lewelma said:

So yesterday masks are now compulsory in all indoor venues in the entire country.  And this is from a country that has not ever had any masking requirements at all in the last 17 months. Even our lockdown to eliminate covid 16 months ago was done without masks. So until yesterday, maybe 1 in 100 people I see in the city wear one.  So given that background, this is the part that made me laugh given all the threads I have read on this board. We are so small town down here.

Apparently TWO people were arrested today in NZ for refusing to wear masks in the grocery store. And it was headline news.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126120071/covid19-two-arrested-as-mask-use-becomes-compulsory-at-supermarkets

Good to see. The UK was pretty solid on masks eighteen months ago. My area of Scotland is still fairly good - they are still compulsory in indoor public sites - but not as complete as at the beginning. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/british-study-shows-covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-wanes-under-delta-2021-08-18/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Aug 19 (Reuters) - A British public health study has found that protection from either of the two most commonly used COVID-19 vaccines against the now prevalent Delta variant of the coronavirus weakens within three months.

It also found that those who get infected after receiving two shots of either the Pfizer-BioNTech (22UAy.DE) or the AstraZeneca (AZN.L) vaccine may be of greater risk to others than under previous variants of the coronavirus.

Based on more than three million nose and throat swabs taken across Britain, the Oxford University study found that 90 days after a second shot of the Pfizer or Astrazeneca vaccine, their efficacy in preventing infections had slipped to 75% and 61% respectively.

That was down from 85% and 68%, respectively, seen two weeks after a second dose. The decline in efficacy was more pronounced among those aged 35 years and older than those below that age.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Any idea what they mean by this? 

Yes. It means that, as has been reported elsewhere, Delta more easily evades the vaccines, so that vaxxed people are more likely to be infected with and also contagious (a risk) to others than with previous Covid variants.

They are still much less likely to become sick or spread to others than UNvaxxed people, this article is only comparing efficacy in vaxxed people with Delta to vaxxed people with pre-Delta Covid.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Because the vaccines are not as effective against Delta more people will get sick and be contagious.

It’s poor wording — the vaccine isn’t increasing the risk it’s just not decreasing it as much as it did against earlier strains.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, whitestavern said:

It also found that those who get infected after receiving two shots of either the Pfizer-BioNTech (22UAy.DE) or the AstraZeneca (AZN.L) vaccine may be of greater risk to others than under previous variants of the coronavirus.

They mean the risk of spreading the virus to others.

The Delta variant is twice as contagious as previous variants. Delta is capable of producing a high viral load in both vaccinated and unvaccinated, BUT in fully vaccinated people, the viral load falls quickly as their immune response ramps up. However, for that short period of time while their viral load is high, symptomatic breakthrough cases can spread the virus.

The CDC is still assessing data to see whether fully vaccinated, asymptomatic breakthrough cases can transmit the virus.

Until more is known, it would be best to continue wearing a mask when around others.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/variants/delta-variant.html

A booster will produce more antibodies. Mixing different vaccines might be a good idea, too. They are analyzing that data now.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Well, maybe the messaging is finally starting to change.  this was on Fox!

https://www.foxnews.com/health/unvaccinated-mom-dies-covid-19-weeks-after-husband

Arghhh, I should know better than to read the comments on Fox....

It's 99% survivable! She only died because she was obese, the vaccine wouldn't have made any difference! Why didn't they give her ivermectin??? She'd be alive if she got ivermectin!  <smdh>

• Sad 9

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes. It means that, as has been reported elsewhere, Delta more easily evades the vaccines, so that vaxxed people are more likely to be infected with and also contagious (a risk) to others than with previous Covid variants.

They are still much less likely to become sick or spread to others than UNvaxxed people, this article is only comparing efficacy in vaxxed people with Delta to vaxxed people with pre-Delta Covid.  

Got it. For some reason I was reading it as more dangerous to others, period, like more dangerous than unvaxxed people would be. It's kind of old news so I think that's why I misinterpreted it as something else.

Just now, Corraleno said:

Arghhh, I should know better than to read the comments on Fox....

It's 99% survivable! She only died because she was obese, the vaccine wouldn't have made any difference! Why didn't they give her ivermectin??? She'd be alive if she got ivermectin!  <smdh>

You’re kidding? (But you’re not, are you, and that’s what’s so sad.) I don’t know how that kind of thinking can be combatted. They will think that way up until they’re the one struggling to breathe in the hospital 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, whitestavern said:

3 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Got it. For some reason I was reading it as more dangerous to others, period, like more dangerous than unvaxxed people would be. It's kind of old news so I think that's why I misinterpreted it as something else.

Yeah it was pretty poorly worded I think.

It’s just another study confirming what we already know and the speed of the drop in efficacy was slightly surprising to me - I thought it was more like six months. 

Israel stats have almost the same case numbers as previous waves now but still around 1/3 of deaths so vaccine is definitely still having an impact.  Maybe alongside a bit more testing than previous waves.

18 hours ago, calbear said:

This is NOT what I wanted to see. Ugh. Mono did such a number on me and triggered immune system disorders that I am still dealing with decades later. I do not want reactived EB in my body at all EVER.

https://www.sciencealert.com/mounting-evidence-suggests-many-covid-19-long-haulers-are-co-infected-with-epstein-barr

Thank you for sharing this. This is why I have been so cautious. I'm already taking Acyclovir 3 times a day for EB virus--for the same symptoms. I'm really hoping this will lead to doctors taking CFS/ME more seriously. I'm lucky I found a doctor who recognized my symptoms weren't "all in my head".  

I'm also glad to have some actual evidence that I need to continue being very cautious. I do get some pushback from friends and family for stuff like--not wanting to sit right beside my unmasked sister at the co-op meeting or friends who want to meet for lunch and dine indoors at restaurants. I just can't do it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, popmom said:

Thank you for sharing this. This is why I have been so cautious. I'm already taking Acyclovir 3 times a day for EB virus--for the same symptoms. I'm really hoping this will lead to doctors taking CFS/ME more seriously. I'm lucky I found a doctor who recognized my symptoms weren't "all in my head".  

I'm also glad to have some actual evidence that I need to continue being very cautious. I do get some pushback from friends and family for stuff like--not wanting to sit right beside my unmasked sister at the co-op meeting or friends who want to meet for lunch and dine indoors at restaurants. I just can't do it.

Yes, this seriously scares me. It took me 5 years of antivirals and antibiotics to get a whole host of chronic viruses and bacterial under control.  The symptoms of long Covid sound so familiar, I don’t want to go back to those dark, dark days. We are very careful because of having lived something like that already, for years.

I hope you have better and better days, with your treatment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Oh dear. We're under curfew and limited to an hour's exercise a day. Melbourne-style, but only for Labor seats*, lol. All in this together?! 

*LGA's of concern. 

I was just reading the latest lockdown measures for Sydney. Thinking about time, but didn’t realise that it is only happening in labour seats. A huge sigh. ☹️

numbers are up again for Vic. And the press conference is delayed...... makes me wonder if they are going to relock down regional areas ..... time will tell

Just now, Melissa in Australia said:

I was just reading the latest lockdown measures for Sydney. Thinking about time, but didn’t realise that it is only happening in labour seats. A huge sigh. ☹️

numbers are up again for Vic. And the press conference is delayed...... makes me wonder if they are going to relock down regional areas ..... time will tell

Mostly the poorer areas - south west and west. 

It needs to happen, but it should be a city wide thing for maximum compliance. 

Finally Bondi has to wear masks when they're sunning themselves down the Boulevard. 

NZ 11 today. 

Yes, jittery about Melbourne numbers - delay never good. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Melissa, 

were people in  the whole Sydney not having to wear masks outside?

In the LGAs of concern, we've had to wear them outside for the last 3 or 4 weeks?

Outside those LGAs, only an indoor mandate. Which is why in those Bondi photos, 99% maskless, no-one was breaking the rules. 

1 minute ago, Melissa Louise said:

In the LGAs of concern, we've had to wear them outside for the last 3 or 4 weeks?

Outside those LGAs, only an indoor mandate. Which is why in those Bondi photos, 99% maskless, no-one was breaking the rules. 

Oh my

i am shocked. I didn’t realise how loose the restrictions are in NSW

no wonder the numbers are so high.

rural vic is at I think stage 2b level. We have compulsory masks, actually after looking through the lists of what the restrictions were just yesterday it is almost what Sydney had at their stage 4

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Oh my

i am shocked. I didn’t realise how loose the restrictions are in NSW

no wonder the numbers are so high.

rural vic is at I think stage 2b level. We have compulsory masks, actually after looking through the lists of what the restrictions were just yesterday it is almost what Sydney had at their stage 4

I have to say, it really differs depending where in Sydney you live. We've been under tighter settings from the start. Now they've been properly tightened for us, but the rest of Sydney isn't even close to where we were. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

That is the same as everywhere in Australia. Masks have never been required for anyone younger than 12

Do you know if the thought is that masks are too difficult for kids younger than that to manage, or that they don't think kids spread Covid, or just that kids have no reason they should be out of their houses anyway? Or something else?

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm surprised seeing NZ only requires masks for 12 and above. Anyone know their thinking on that? Seems awfully risky to me when they are trying for total elimination.

Not sure about NZ but here there was a pervasive idea that kids didn't get sick, didn't contribute to spread and schools were safe. So why mask them? 

Of course, Delta is showing us that kids do get sick, they spread the virus and schools are closing left right and centre. .but still no masks for the little ones. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I'm surprised seeing NZ only requires masks for 12 and above. Anyone know their thinking on that? Seems awfully risky to me when they are trying for total elimination.

Masks as of Wednesday are required for all indoor venues, they are not required outside (but are recommended). We are not allowed to go to the beach or even hang out in a park. Exercise only, and you are to stay away from everyone. So a lot of people in the city walk in the middle of the street. Only one person from your bubble is allowed to shop. You can't bring your children in as far as I know (and I didn't see any in the 3 days I have walked by the grocery store line outside). And my dh said they were policing the one person rule and turning away the extra people who were clearly in the same bubble.  So if you are a solo mum with kids, you will need to do online shopping or get a friend to pick up for you (we are doing this for our neighbour). So basically, there is no reason to require anyone under 12 to wear a mask because they won't be in any indoor venues. In addition, in contrast to the USA, kids won't go back to school until there is no more community spread. So when they go, they don't need masks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

New Zealand outbreak has spread to Wellington 

Well, not exactly. 3 of the people in the cluster of 31 were at places of interest on Sunday in Auckland and then drove/flew down to Wellington Sunday night. We then we went into lockdown on Tuesday night and they tested positive on Thursday. So the government is thinking that they were not likely contagious on Monday and Tuesday when they were in and around town. However, they have named 2 cafes and 1 restaurant that if you were there, you should get tested. But everyone is already isolating, so it can't spread further than in the 2 family groups that had a positive member in them, and if they got it, they were already in lockdown so couldn't have spread it further. These 3 people went into MIQ on Thursday after testing positive. 

This is why they locked the whole country down into our strictest lockdown within hours of finding out, because otherwise these 3 people would have spread it in Wellington.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lockdown has been extended to Tuesday for the entire country, which will be 7 days. At that point, if there are no cases in the South Island, they are likely to reduce restrictions because all flights and ferries are closed, so you can't get there unless you took a private boat across the Cook Straight (which is a really dangerous body of water and quite wide, so people don't do this LOL). 

My guess is that Auckland will be in lockdown for a month. I'm not sure about the rest of the North Island.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KSera said:

Do you know if the thought is that masks are too difficult for kids younger than that to manage, or that they don't think kids spread Covid, or just that kids have no reason they should be out of their houses anyway? Or something else?

Yep.  No masking for under 12s here I think due to the difficulty of getting compliance.  And the touching masks etc. 

On 8/14/2021 at 7:12 PM, Terabith said:

Plus Sturgis is going on.  Sigh.  

At least that one iw outside a lot.

Tonight we will have food trucks v foid trailers downtown. Those events always attract crowds.  I told dh that I would prefer to go to a restaurant I can eat outdoors - like I did last night.  

And in a city about 50 miles away, there will be a huge political rally. At least, it will ve outdoors.

Feeling frustrated after a conversation about vaccination tonight and feeling kind of trapped. Wasn’t really a situation where I felt able to say exactly what I think so I tried to politely say I thought it was a good idea.  But honestly if it’s reflective of a lot in that demographic we will run into a wall soon I guess.  I’m hopeful that just by sharing that I’ve had mine and I’m still going it will be encouraging for some people maybe.  But there seems to be so many that fall into that hesitation category. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Stacia said:

We are so screwed. And still, people not masking, churches not requiring it, churches have back to school breakfasts, small group dinners indoors, etc etc etc. 

Did not have this on my bingo card though. (and glad I get my water from a small town outside Orlando..though guess I should check if they are saying this as well)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We are so screwed. And still, people not masking, churches not requiring it, churches have back to school breakfasts, small group dinners indoors, etc etc etc. 

Did not have this on my bingo card though. (and glad I get my water from a small town outside Orlando..though guess I should check if they are saying this as well)

Someone in the thread pointed out that if places start having to go to boil water advisories, you might start having dysentery outbreaks. But the hospitals will be full with covid patients, so....

The water situation due to covid wasn't on my bingo card either.

• Sad 10