Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

25 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

What I'm beginning to understand, though, is just because I think state identities are b/s -never in my life have I thought of myself as a New South Welshwoman, just a Sydneysider and an Aussie - doesn't mean the country isn't full of ppl who have some sort of bizarre state identity, well before any national identity. 

I kind of agree with you.  People are cranky as anything with Gladys for taking so long to lock down and now that’s unfortunately hurting the NSW residents many of whom never voted for her.  On the other hand I wouldn’t have been happy about giving up my vax appointment for someone in NSW because I have no trust that once NSW had enough vaccinations to protect the health system they won’t just open back up and let it spread to all the other states whose economies will then get damaged by lockdowns because there’s no more vaccines to go around.  Marshall who is liberal isn’t willing to share ours vaccines with NSW. I do think if there was much clearer information about what doses are coming in to the country instead of vague promises people might be more willing to redirect to NSW.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Yeah, no. 

If the west coast was on fire, would we keep all our firefighting  resources on the East Coast and refuse to share? Because we think WA was incompetent in its fire prep? 

It's punishing people who aren't Gladys or Scotty, half of whom didn't even vote for the buggers. It's Labor seats the worst affected, including mine. 

If anyone thinks this is teaching the Libs a lesson, think again. It's not the leafy suburbs doing it tough. 

A better analogy might be - the entire west coast is on fire.  SA is not on fire but we have a catastrophic day coming up after a week of hot weather and we are at crazy high risk.  We are going to send some resources to help but we’re going to keep enough on the ground to make sure we can deal with a local fire because we can’t help WA if we don’t keep our own small fires under control as they pop up.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

What I'm beginning to understand, though, is just because I think state identities are b/s -never in my life have I thought of myself as a New South Welshwoman, just a Sydneysider and an Aussie - doesn't mean the country isn't full of ppl who have some sort of bizarre state identity, well before any national identity. 

I think of myself as a West Australian, not necessarily before 'Australian' but probably on about the same footing. I don't think it's any more bizarre than a national identity. I would say WA people have always had a fairly strong state identity, maybe due to our isolation. Politicians tend reinforce this with an us vs them narrative. Covid has also reinforced it, the secession jokes were all over the place last year.

Our premier has definitely taken a protect WA first stance which has kept him extremely popular. I'm not saying I agree with it, I think we can afford to decrease our share of vaccines, but not giving away our doses is consistent.

We are also behind the curve with vaccinations, opening it up to younger people might make it seem like we are doing well but we have the lowest percentage of fully vaccinated people in the country, we need to get more people over here vaccinated to have any hope of opening up our borders.

• Like 2

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

A better analogy might be - the entire west coast is on fire.  SA is not on fire but we have a catastrophic day coming up after a week of hot weather and we are at crazy high risk.  We are going to send some resources to help but we’re going to keep enough on the ground to make sure we can deal with a local fire because we can’t help WA if we don’t keep our own small fires under control as they pop up.

Yeah, fair enough. 

It's just really hard here and tbh, I think ppl just enjoy kicking Sydney, because they think it's all big houses and beaches. 

It isn't. Just as many good ppl doing it tough here as anywhere else in the country. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AurieD said:

I think of myself as a West Australian, not necessarily before 'Australian' but probably on about the same footing. I don't think it's any more bizarre than a national identity. I would say WA people have always had a fairly strong state identity, maybe due to our isolation. Politicians tend reinforce this with an us vs them narrative. Covid has also reinforced it, the secession jokes were all over the place last year.

Our premier has definitely taken a protect WA first stance which has kept him extremely popular. I'm not saying I agree with it, I think we can afford to decrease our share of vaccines, but not giving away our doses is consistent.

We are also behind the curve with vaccinations, opening it up to younger people might make it seem like we are doing well but we have the lowest percentage of fully vaccinated people in the country, we need to get more people over here vaccinated to have any hope of opening up our borders.

If you're so behind, why are you opening it up to 16-18 yr olds ? None of this makes sense to me. 

I truly do not understand being attached to a state identity. 

It's very Not Labor. 

Edited by Melissa Louise

1 minute ago, Melissa Louise said:

If you're so behind, why are you opening it up to 16-18 yr olds ? None of this makes sense to me. 

I don’t know but I’d suspect more hesitancy.  We are opening up faster to younger age groups as well but there’s not a high percentage of older people.  The hesitancy has probably disappeared faster in states with active outbreaks.

• Like 1

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

I don’t know but I’d suspect more hesitancy.  We are opening up faster to younger age groups as well but there’s not a high percentage of older people.  The hesitancy has probably disappeared faster in states with active outbreaks.

Makes sense, I guess. 

Just having a hopeless kind of day. I've been bright and easy and the go-to person for all the struggling fam and friends for eight weeks, and this just tipped me. It's actually really horrible hearing helicopters and ambulances all day, watching the numbers going up and up, and having non-hesitant pro-vaccine loved ones who can't get a recommended or any vaccine. I'm worried we are going to get to 50%, open up, and ds will be back customer facing with Delta loose and zero protection. Or DD will have to be back in hospital at some stage and contract it there. Or she'll get AZ, get a clot and/or get sick before she can get the second one. 

• Sad 10

5 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I truly do not understand being attached to a state identity. 

It's very Not Labor. 

I assume hesitancy but honestly I don't really know.

I don't really understand how having a state identity is any different to having a national identity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Melissa Louise said:

Makes sense, I guess. 

Just having a hopeless kind of day. I've been bright and easy and the go-to person for all the struggling fam and friends for eight weeks, and this just tipped me. It's actually really horrible hearing helicopters and ambulances all day, watching the numbers going up and up, and having non-hesitant pro-vaccine loved ones who can't get a recommended or any vaccine. I'm worried we are going to get to 50%, open up, and ds will be back customer facing with Delta loose and zero protection. Or DD will have to be back in hospital at some stage and contract it there. Or she'll get AZ, get a clot and/or get sick before she can get the second one. 

I'm sorry, it sucks!

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Makes sense, I guess. 

Really hope that doesn’t happen!

• Like 1

Just now, AurieD said:

I assume hesitancy but honestly I don't really know.

I don't really understand how having a state identity is any different to having a national identity.

Because it's just random lines on a map. At least nation makes sense 'cos we're all literally on one island! Although, tbf, I do hold that identity weakly and only when - like WTM - we're o/s. 

3 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Because it's just random lines on a map. At least nation makes sense 'cos we're all literally on one island! Although, tbf, I do hold that identity weakly and only when - like WTM - we're o/s. 

I think with WA particularly there’s a long standing sense, rightly or wrongly that decisions made by the east coast based federal government unfairly impact WA.  I’m not Western Australian but lived there for a few years and that was always an underlying thing that has probably been exacerbated by the pandemic.  It exists but to a smaller degree in SA. It’s probably similar to the resentment flyover states in the US feel although politically opposite.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think with WA particularly there’s a long standing sense, rightly or wrongly that decisions made by the east coast based federal government unfairly impact WA.  I’m not Western Australian but lived there for a few years and that was always an underlying thing that has probably been exacerbated by the pandemic.  It exists but to a smaller degree in SA. It’s probably similar to the resentment flyover states in the US feel although politically opposite.

McGowan should know better if he has a single Labor bone in his body. 

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I wonder what percentage of people, in our various countries, have underlying/pre-existing health conditions? 

In the US, I’ve seen estimates ranging from 40-60%. I think we have some decent numbers for each individual condition, but then it’s hard to know how many are comorbid. If 40% are overweight and 40% have hypertension, it doesn’t mean 80% have those two total. Nor would it be only 40%. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Melissa Louise said:

For most of the world nations are also just random lines on a map.

Maybe that’s part of Australia’s national identity — “Hey, at least our borders make sense!”

• Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-17/pfizer-moderna-astrazeneca-herd-immunity-delta-covid-evolution/100366038

@TCB

There are some stats in here on Australia, ICUs and vaccination 

“Current numbers from NSW show of the 66 people in ICU, 59 are not vaccinated and seven have had one dose. No one currently in ICU or requiring ventilation has been fully vaccinated.“

I still haven’t seen anything on cases overall. It’s possible that data hasn’t been collected though it really should be.

• Like 2

The Vic chief health person ( cannot remember his correct title) professor Sutton just announced there has been a transmission at an outside playground in Melbourne. 

There has also been transmission with friends walking outside together ( presumably during the hour of excercise that they are allowed outside)

• Sad 8

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The Vic chief health person ( cannot remember his correct title) professor Sutton just announced there has been a transmission at an outside playground in Melbourne. 

There has also been transmission with friends walking outside together ( presumably during the hour of excercise that they are allowed outside)

Oh, that's not good.

Any info on whether the friends were masked? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

Oh, that's not good.

Any info on whether the friends were masked? 

They didn’t say. Yesterday Melbourne lockdown was made way more locked down. All playgrounds are closed and you can only exercise with one person from your place of residence. You cannot meet up with someone while out . People cannot leave home to go to work unless they have a permit. On the weekend apparently lots of people decided to have large picnics at playgrounds and parks pretending they were doing exercise .

Basically we were told that Vic is on the tipping point of it getting out of hand. That there has to be way way less movement or we will be back to last year.

• Sad 1

Just now, Melissa in Australia said:

They didn’t say. Yesterday Melbourne lockdown was made way more locked down. All playgrounds are closed and you can only exercise with one person from your place of residence. You cannot meet up with someone while out . People cannot leave home to go to work unless they have a permit. On the weekend apparently lots of people decided to have large picnics at playgrounds and parks pretending they were doing exercise .

Basically we were told that Vic is on the tipping point of it getting out of hand. That there has to be way way less movement or we will be back to last year.

Yes, I saw the footage of the engagement party and the pub crawl 🙁

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The news is reporting a case in the community in New Zealander 

Yup. In Auckland. I just got my first shot ten minutes ago and am waiting in the doctor's office. The government warned they will lock down hard and fast and I'm supposed to go to a funeral in Auckland on Friday. So that might be off. We will see. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

4 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Yup. In Auckland. I just got my first shot ten minutes ago and am waiting in the doctor's office. The government warned they will lock down hard and fast and I'm supposed to go to a funeral in Auckland on Friday. So that might be off. We will see. 

Have to say I cried when I saw the headline

• Like 1

No delay here..... It hit the news at 3pm our time. Here is the timeline....

Political editors have just had a briefing on the situation from the Prime Minister's Office.

Health officials were alerted to the case just after 1pm. At 2pm there was a call with Auckland Regional Public Health's incident management team. At 3pm there will be an all-of-government response team meeting - that will take in police as well as health.

Cabinet ministers are currently being briefed on the situation.

At 4.30pm there will be an officials briefing to senior ministers. There will then be another Cabinet meeting to decide on next steps. There will likely be a press conference at around 6pm to discuss the results of that meeting - although that time could change.

The Prime Minister is on her way back to Wellington from Auckland. Covid-19 response minister Chris Hipkins is also on his way to Wellington, he was also in Auckland.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I would be very tempted

My husband got an email half an hour ago to make sure he has his computer and all cables he needs to work from home. We do live an 8 hour drive from Auckland, and they have only found one case, and that was 2 hours ago.

I feel very lucky to live in a country where I can trust the government to put its people first and trust most other kiwis to do the right thing. Reading on this board for the previous year has made me very aware and very grateful for what I have. 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

126 days not that I've counted or anything. 

I hope you are able to attend the funeral on Friday. 

126 days. This was NZ's nightmare scenario last March. They actually commissioned a report last March that did the economic numbers for lockdowns of that length, and they were worse than the great depression. I am really really sorry you guys are going through this. 

As for the funeral, my husband and neighbour each got their vaccine a month ago so they will be working, but mine is too fresh (3 hours ago). So they might have to go without me if Auckland is not in lockdown. My guess is that Auckland will be locked down for 3 days to give them time to figure out what is going on. They have done that before. We will know in 30 minutes. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Holy crap. The entire country is locking down in our strictest level for three days. Auckland for seven days. ALL people are to stay home. 

Just looked up what your level 4 is,

very similar to Victoria level 4. Melbourne has been at that level for a few weeks and is (words of premier) running beside but not getting ahead of  delta .

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Just looked up what your level 4 is,

very similar to Victoria level 4. Melbourne has been at that level for a few weeks and is (words of premier) running beside but not getting ahead of  delta .

Level 4 is 

All schools closed. All daycare closed.

All businesses closed

No driving allowed except to grocery store

All stores closed, all restaurants closed (including take aways/carry out),

All internet shopping closed

The ports are closed

The airports and ferries are closed. No buses running

No tradies can work. No construction, no plumbing, no sparkies.

Masks required when outside.

No surfing, no tramping, no swimming, 

The beaches are closed.

Exercise for 1 hour outside, but within 5 km.

Homeless go into hotels.

Bubbles are to one family unit.

Grocery stores, chemists, and hospital are open. Only 1 person can shop.

Wage subsides are in effect. 

People have 48 hours to get to the place they will stay. Which tells me that it is going to be longer than 3 days. 

Stay at home order comes into effect tonight at midnight.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 9

We've had a moron drive 2 hours from Melbourne to our town to visit a relative in the nursing home, apparently not knowing this was a naughty thing to do, so now the poor, old dear is in isolation for two weeks. 

There's been a lot of people from Melbourne visiting nearby towns while they're not meant to be more than 5km from home.

New Zealanders are such sensible people...

11 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

We've had a moron drive 2 hours from Melbourne to our town to visit a relative in the nursing home, apparently not knowing this was a naughty thing to do, so now the poor, old dear is in isolation for two weeks. 

There's been a lot of people from Melbourne visiting nearby towns while they're not meant to be more than 5km from home.

New Zealanders are such sensible people...

Sigh. Don't you hate people who are selfish! Here, there is no reason to be on a motorway as all neighbourhoods have a grocery store. So the police will stop all cars they find trying to head out of town, or even within the town.  You wouldn't be able to get far. 

The media at the press conference were asking Jacinda if the lock down was long enough (and we are talking about closing down the entire country over ONE case -- and all waste water clear in all cities). People here are willing to do what is required. There is a LOT of support for this move. 

However, there is a run on toilet paper tonight.  So good thing I planned ahead last week! 🙂

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 8