Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

2 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I'm astounded that every week the numbers here go up into the next hundred, and nothing about the settings changes substantially. The curve isn't even starting to flatten. 

Well, it is only going up linearly. It is not an exponential. So the lockdown is effective, just not enough.

• Like 3

I made a mistake - we are getting 'more police compliance'. That's what's happening to stop us (theoretically, because we're on the up) from hitting 400 cases a day, and then 500, and then...

Funnily, the only cops I have seen around here are the two who get charcoal chicken for their lunch, around the corner 🙂 I think they're all at the non-Paris end of the LGA. 

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

A man in his 90s in NSW who was fully vaccinated has died after contracting COVID.  

I guess we expect some given that it’s somewhere between 90-99 pc successful against severe Covid but it’s disappointing still.

I would suspect that a lot of that has to do with him being in his 90's.  (But I do understand that this is still a tragedy.)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would suspect that a lot of that has to do with him being in his 90's.  (But I do understand that this is still a tragedy.)

Yes I agree.  It’s possible there was little to no immune system reaction.  It’s also most likely that he has had Astra Zeneca not Pfizer which is less effective against Delta.

• Like 1

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/israel-hits-400-serious-covid-cases-ahead-of-corona-cabinet-meeting-676412

On Wednesday morning, the Health Ministry reported 694 people were being treated in Israeli hospitals for the virus, among them 400 in serious condition, with 64% of those patients defined as serious cases being fully vaccinated, compared with 32% who were not. Another 2% were in the process of being vaccinated, and 2% were recovered.

What do we make of this stat?  Is it likely that a higher percentage of the vaccinated are more vulnerable or more likely to be exposed due to work?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/israel-hits-400-serious-covid-cases-ahead-of-corona-cabinet-meeting-676412

On Wednesday morning, the Health Ministry reported 694 people were being treated in Israeli hospitals for the virus, among them 400 in serious condition, with 64% of those patients defined as serious cases being fully vaccinated, compared with 32% who were not. Another 2% were in the process of being vaccinated, and 2% were recovered.

What do we make of this stat?  Is it likely that a higher percentage of the vaccinated are more vulnerable or more likely to be exposed due to work?

I don't know enough.  What kind of vaccinations were given in Israel?  How long ago were they fully vaccinated?  (ie.  were they the people that some are saying are having the vaccine lose efficacy after six months?  Were they just vaccinated?  Somewhere in between?)  How old are they?  All ages?  All elderly?  More vulnerable (as you noted)?  Working/Living in close contact with others but unmasked? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

If almost everyone in the country is vaccinated, then 280 people is a tiny percentage of those. Whereas 120 is an enormous percentage of the unvaccinated.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't know enough.  What kind of vaccinations were given in Israel?  How long ago were they fully vaccinated?  (ie.  were they the people that some are saying are having the vaccine lose efficacy after six months?  Were they just vaccinated?  Somewhere in between?)  How old are they?  All ages?  All elderly?  More vulnerable (as you noted)?  Working/Living in close contact with others but unmasked? 

There is now evidence that the UK's 8 to 12 week booster delay is way way more effective than the 3 to 4 week booster delay that Israel used. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

If almost everyone in the country is vaccinated, then 280 people is a tiny percentage of those. Whereas 120 is an enormous percentage of the unvaccinated.

I think the rates are only about 65pc though.  I can’t find the most up to date statistics.

44 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Pfizer and some were as far back as December.  So yes it could be waning immunity.  I don’t have any more data on the rest.  But you know at the rate Pfizer and Moderna are producing last I calculated it would take about five or six years to vaccinate the whole word even once.  If wealthy countries get boosters some countries won’t get vaccinated at all I guess.  Or not in the short term.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lewelma said:

There is now evidence that the UK's 8 to 12 week booster delay is way way more effective than the 3 to 4 week booster delay that Israel used. 

Is this true regardless of vaccination type?  One of the nurses in my homeschool group pointed out that a two week gap is very unusual for vaccine schedules.

26 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I didn’t realise there was the possibility of a longer gap with Pfizer.  That’s interesting.

After the first month or so, the UK went with a 12-week gap for AZ, Pfizer and Moderna, now reduced to 8-week for all.  AZ is not being used much at present, as people under 40 - who are most of the people being vaccinated right now - are not given it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think the rates are only about 65pc though.  I can’t find the most up to date statistics.

One would have to know what percentage of the very vulnerable were vaccinated and what percentage of those ended up very ill.  It's hard to tell from the basic info given.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Pfizer (almost exclusively), most vaccinations were in October-February (it was the first country to successfully mass vaccinate) and 67.5% in Israel have been double-vaccinated (I'm surprised the percentage stalled out so low). The rise started on June 21, which times in almost perfectly with the relaxation of restrictions Israel had on June 1. It will be interesting to see how the reintroduction of the mask mandate affects matters.

Cases of COVID-19 are rising for all age groups in Israel, but rising fastest in under-18s (even though vaccination from 12 up is strongly recommended by the government, and preteens are "allowed" to receive the jab) and the largest number of total cases are in the over-60s (who were vaccinated first, so they were mostly vaccinated 9-10 months ago).

Due to recent research indicating Pfizer is 39% effective against Delta in the Israeli context (contrasting to 80% for the same study, at the same time, done in the UK), Israel switched to Moderna for vaccinations at the start of this month. However, it is not yet providing boosters for anyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It is likely that Israel has a higher number of vaccinated.

So even those in the hospital are a lower percentage unvaccinated -- it could be a higher percentage of the unvaccinated are in the hospital than the vaccinated.

If 90% of the population is vaccinated, and only 64% of those in the hospital are vaccinated, you still have a higher risk of hospitalization if you are unvaccinated.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, Kanin said:

Schools without a mandate are going to be a disaster, right? I wonder what they'll say when it is...

I’m watching our schools closely as they’ve been back in session for over a week now and no masks are required. They keep a dashboard for each school and so far the high school has had the highest number of cases and that was only five (large high school of about 3000 students). A few elementary schools had one or two cases each. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

5 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

I’m watching our schools closely as they’ve been back in session for over a week now and no masks are required. They keep a dashboard for each school and so far the high school has had the highest number of cases and that was only five (large high school of about 3000 students). A few elementary schools had one or two cases each. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

This is our district dashboard of student/staff cases. I find it interesting the dates go right to left instead of the typical left to right of all other Covid graphs I've seen. Can't help but be cynical and think it was done purposely to confuse people and make them think, at a glance, that cases are going down not up. (school started August 10th)

image.thumb.png.7d5cc3eb6746665d0486565252486cd6.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 11

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think it is true we need more context to make anything meaningful out of this. 

Some things off the top of my head: Israel vaccinated very early. Many of their most vulnerable are highly vaccinated and the vaccinations were earlier in the year, so it makes sense there is discussion of boosters.

Israel had large Pfizer deals and also Moderna. 

Israel has a population of just over 9 million. The closest American state, in population, is New Jersey depending on which source you cite and when numbers were obtained, but pretty close. NJ has 763 hospitalizations. A place like Louisiana with a small percentage vaccinated currently has 2,895 (depending on source but all are approximately similar) and only half the population of Israel. I realize Northern states will probably be hit harder later in the year if it follows last year's patterns so it isn't completely comparable.

Ah, here is an article with more context.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesofisrael.com/among-older-israelis-serious-covid-rate-six-times-higher-if-unvaccinated/amp/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

This is our district dashboard of student/staff cases. I find it interesting the dates go right to left instead of the typical left to right of all other Covid graphs I've seen. Can't help but be cynical and think it was done purposely to confuse people and make them think, at a glance, that cases are going down not up. (school started August 10th)

Yeah, that seems, um, blatantly and intentionally misleading...

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Wow. That’s incredibly deceptive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Wow. That’s incredibly deceptive.

Ok, so it's not just me? Was sort of hoping there was a legit reason that is common in graphing that I was not aware of. Sigh. 

Florida is also known for reporting deaths by date they happened not date reported, but graphing up to the present, knowing there is a 4-8 week lag, so the most recent weeks ALWAYS look lower, because that data hasn't populated yet. But unless you read the fine print, you wouldn' tknow and would assume deaths are always going down. 

• Sad 5

I'll be honest here, it feels like sending my son to the south to go to school, is like sending him to a third world country. I don't really worry about his body handling Covid, he is young and healthy and vaccinated but I told him there really won't be great medical care if he gets hit by a car or something. No offence to the doctors and nurses and such of Alabama, I'm sure they do their job but there is only so much any one human can do.

Edited by frogger
  • Sad 7

University of Mississippi Medical Center is setting up a 50 bed tent in the parking garage, and the governor has asked Biden to send a military hospital ship. The fact that this is happening AGAIN, despite the availability of a free, safe, easily-accessible preventive, is just INSANE.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-updates/covid-delta-variant/?id=79359387&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_heads_hero_live_hero_hed#79410436

• Like 2
  • Sad 16

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, so it's not just me? Was sort of hoping there was a legit reason that is common in graphing that I was not aware of. Sigh. 

I never worked with lots of data as a tech writer, but we were trained in college to avoid doing things like this if we had to create or present graphs in our work. If a tech writer that's not likely to do a lot of data handling has training to avoid this, then I would say the data people themselves ought to know better.

@Ausmumof3

https://fortune.com/2021/08/11/pfizer-covid-vaccine-delta-variant-low-effectiveness-stock-falls/

“In short: There is now mounting evidence that mRNA-based vaccines such as Pfizer's and Moderna's lose potency over time and especially against the Delta variant, and that the Pfizer vaccine's efficacy drop is significantly more dramatic. The Mayo Clinic study noted a wide shortfall in the mRNA vaccines' ability to prevent infections among patients using the Mayo Clinic Health System for the month of July, when Delta variant cases made up more than 70% of new local infections in its home state of Minnesota, compared with earlier in the year. Between January and July, Moderna's jab was 86% effective at preventing infection in this population while Pfizer's was 76% effective. But for July alone, those numbers fell to 76% for Moderna and 42% for Pfizer, and the researchers observed similar drops for the Pfizer shot outside of Minnesota in states with high COVID counts such as Florida. (On a brighter note, both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines still proved highly effective at preventing the need for COVID infection-related hospitalization at 92% and 85% efficacy, respectively.)

Those are concerning figures. But it's important to note several caveats. For one, we still need more data on how the Delta variant is shaping the pandemic and interacting with available COVID treatments given that mutation's surge is still relatively new. Collecting this information has a long lag time in the U.S. as local information trickles up to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) database, and the agency's decision in May to stop tracking breakthrough infections that may cause symptoms but not coronavirus-related hospitalization or death among the fully vaccinated has created an information black hole. Furthermore, tracking how strong a vaccine is against any viral strain over an extended period, and how much immunizing power it may lose and how quickly, is inherently handicapped by having to monitor how the situation plays out on the ground in real time.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TOGETHER trial shows no benefit for ivermectin. Excerpt from LA Times article:

"One of the trial’s principal investigators, Edward Mills of McMaster University, presented the results from the Ivermectin arms of the study at an Aug. 6 symposium sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.  Among the 1,500 patients in the study, he said, Ivermectin showed “no effect whatsoever” on the trial’s outcome goals — whether patients required extended observation in the emergency room or hospitalization. 
During the symposium, Mills complained that serious researchers looking into claims for COVID treatments have faced unprecedented abuse from advocates. “I’ve had enough abuse and so have the other clinical trialists doing Ivermectin,” he said. “Others working in this area have been threatened, their families have been threatened, they’ve been defamed,” he said. 

Mills said that his team’s Ivermectin trial was altered after advocacy groups complained that it was too modest to achieve the results they expected. The trial originally tested the results from a single Ivermectin dose in January this year, but was later changed to involve one daily dose for three days of 400 micrograms of the drug for every kilogram (about 2.2 pounds) of the patients’ weight, up to 90 kilograms. Half the subjects received a placebo tablet. No clinical results were detected at either dosage, Mills said.

Asked whether he expected further criticism from Ivermectin advocates, he said it was all but inevitable. “The advocacy groups have set themselves up to be able to critique any clinical trial. They’ve already determined that any valid, well-designed critical trial was set up to fail.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-08-11/ivermectin-no-effect-covid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777389?guestAccessKey=18c787dc-15a1-4b0e-88c5-7e3654ed8a00&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jama&utm_term=mostread&utm_content=olf-widget_08122021

Ivermectin trial showed a 10 day resolution of mild Covid symptoms for those on Ivermectin versus a 12 day resolution for the placebo group.  The conclusion was that this wasn’t clinically significant which I thought interesting.  If it’s not harmful I’d probably consider taking it for a 1-2 day quicker recovery time plus a slight reduction in the chance of the ongoing headache.  

Edited to add it looks like the trial was kind of messy so I don’t know how much faith I’d put in it. 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

from ABC- 

COVID case linked to school bus service in Melbourne's west

A school for autistic children in Laverton, in Melbourne’s west, has been closed to all students after a COVID-19 case was linked to the school’s bus service.

Western Autistic School has sent a letter to parents advising them that all close contacts who travelled on the bus with the positive case have been identified.

Those people and their families have been told to get tested an isolate for 14 days.

The health department has told the school to remain closed to all on-site learning until all those who have been tested return negative results.

Feeling for these families now doing 14 days without respite care and services 😞 

• Sad 12

Some math on boosters versus base vaccination rate for Delta.  Of course it’s relying on vax being 85pc effective against delta (questionable) and Delta having a reproduction rate of 8 (also questionable).  And it’s aimed at population level not individual decision level.  But overall wider coverage would help more than boosters if those things are true.  And vaccination without masks and distancing is clearly not going to be enough.

I wish I was seeing indications that the government here were looking at that instead of selling the vaccines=back to normal concept we are currently working with.

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777389?guestAccessKey=18c787dc-15a1-4b0e-88c5-7e3654ed8a00&utm_source=silverchair&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=article_alert-jama&utm_term=mostread&utm_content=olf-widget_08122021

Ivermectin trial showed a 10 day resolution of mild Covid symptoms for those on Ivermectin versus a 12 day resolution for the placebo group.  The conclusion was that this wasn’t clinically significant which I thought interesting.  If it’s not harmful I’d probably consider taking it for a 1-2 day quicker recovery time plus a slight reduction in the chance of the ongoing headache.  

Edited to add it looks like the trial was kind of messy so I don’t know how much faith I’d put in it. 

It's not that they didn't think 2 days was "clinically significant," it's that the result was not statistically significant:

"Time to resolution of symptoms in patients assigned to ivermectin vs placebo was not significantly different (median, 10 days vs 12 days; difference, −2 days [IQR, −4 to 2]; HR for resolution of symptoms, 1.07 [95% CI, 0.87 to 1.32]; P = .53)"

A P value of .53 means the odds that the results occurred purely by chance were better than 50/50. You want a P value at or below .05 (5% probability the result could have happened by chance).

And yeah, the study was a total mess — they accidentally gave ivermectin to the placebo group??? They used a placebo that smelled and tasted totally different from ivermectin? They changed the outcomes partway through? 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

It's not that they didn't think 2 days was "clinically significant," it's that the result was not statistically significant:

"Time to resolution of symptoms in patients assigned to ivermectin vs placebo was not significantly different (median, 10 days vs 12 days; difference, −2 days [IQR, −4 to 2]; HR for resolution of symptoms, 1.07 [95% CI, 0.87 to 1.32]; P = .53)"

A P value of .53 means the odds that the results occurred purely by chance were better than 50/50. You want a P value at or below .05 (5% probability the result could have happened by chance).

And yeah, the study was a total mess — they accidentally gave ivermectin to the placebo group??? They used a placebo that smelled and tasted totally different from ivermectin? They changed the outcomes partway through? 

Yeah.  How do you accidentally give the drugs to the placebo group?  Weird.  

So many helicopters flying over today. Still not sure what that achieves.

We have an increase in ambulances going past too - we're close to a hospital so would normally hear some every day, but I feel like I'm hearing triple the normal amount. I wonder if people are being moved from the bigger hospital to ours? Ours doesn't have a Covid ward. 

• Sad 6

19 hours ago, Corraleno said:

TOGETHER trial shows no benefit for ivermectin. Excerpt from LA Times article:

"One of the trial’s principal investigators, Edward Mills of McMaster University, presented the results from the Ivermectin arms of the study at an Aug. 6 symposium sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.  Among the 1,500 patients in the study, he said, Ivermectin showed “no effect whatsoever” on the trial’s outcome goals — whether patients required extended observation in the emergency room or hospitalization. 
During the symposium, Mills complained that serious researchers looking into claims for COVID treatments have faced unprecedented abuse from advocates. “I’ve had enough abuse and so have the other clinical trialists doing Ivermectin,” he said. “Others working in this area have been threatened, their families have been threatened, they’ve been defamed,” he said. 

Mills said that his team’s Ivermectin trial was altered after advocacy groups complained that it was too modest to achieve the results they expected. The trial originally tested the results from a single Ivermectin dose in January this year, but was later changed to involve one daily dose for three days of 400 micrograms of the drug for every kilogram (about 2.2 pounds) of the patients’ weight, up to 90 kilograms. Half the subjects received a placebo tablet. No clinical results were detected at either dosage, Mills said.

Asked whether he expected further criticism from Ivermectin advocates, he said it was all but inevitable. “The advocacy groups have set themselves up to be able to critique any clinical trial. They’ve already determined that any valid, well-designed critical trial was set up to fail.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-08-11/ivermectin-no-effect-covid

It’s so sad that the researchers doing this research are being treated this way by people who claim that others are the one with the agenda. These researchers are doing exactly what the ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine enthusiasts keeps saying no one is doing: 

The goal of the TOGETHER trial is to determine the effectiveness and safety of the initial treatments of high-risk adults within 48 hours of being diagnosed with SARS-CoV-2 infection, who are not requiring hospitalization, Using repurposed, widely availiable, and economically feasible drugs.”

https://www.togethertrial.com

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, popmom said:

What is the plan for Australia to get more people vaccinated? 

It's being rolled out, but we've had major supply, confidence and access issues. 

September and October are supposed to see greater supply with Moderna hitting our shores. 

Supposedly November will see 80% of eligible population vaccinated, but that's hard to believe. It doesn't include under 18's. 

It's just been very piecemeal so far. Poor planning. I was lucky to get AZ before it was considered risky for under 60's. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1