Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

Mississippi Poison Control Center issues alert on ivermectin, saying that 70% of their calls are from people who used ivermectin intended for livestock.

Mississippi State Department of Health confirmed that one person is currently hospitalized with "ivermectin toxicity" after using horse wormer.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/15002/person-hospitalized-after-taking-livestock-ivermectin-from-feed-store-to-treat-covid-19/

• Sad 12

1 hour ago, Stacia said:

Someone in the thread pointed out that if places start having to go to boil water advisories, you might start having dysentery outbreaks. But the hospitals will be full with covid patients, so....

The water situation due to covid wasn't on my bingo card either.

Oh dear God, I hadn't even gotten that far in my thought processs. Overwhelmed ERs with dysentery patients??? That's a nightmare. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh dear God, I hadn't even gotten that far in my thought processs. Overwhelmed ERs with dysentery patients??? That's a nightmare. 

Hopefully they will get more liquid oxygen in from elsewhere before it gets to that point.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yep.  No masking for under 12s here I think due to the difficulty of getting compliance.  And the touching masks etc. 

Not directed to you, since obviously you don’t set mask policy for your government 😉, but this hasn’t been the case here at all. And especially 12 years old seems super old to have as the lower limit. My youngest has been masking since two, and I know lots of other families with young kids who are handling it fine. I can’t wait for it to be done with, but it’s not the problem some people fear.  Also, given the choice between a kid fiddling with the outside of their mask or kid putting their hands in their nose or mouth (which a mask prevents) I’d much rather the former. That alone makes masks protective to others and to the kid.  Again, this is not directed to you, but just as a comment in general.

3 hours ago, Stacia said:

I had to fact  check that one because it just seems too awful. Yet wearing a mask is apparently a Bridge too far 🤷‍♀️.

image.thumb.jpeg.270632ffd22150c04b2a7206fe26531f.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Mississippi Poison Control Center issues alert on ivermectin, saying that 70% of their calls are from people who used ivermectin intended for livestock.

Mississippi State Department of Health confirmed that one person is currently hospitalized with "ivermectin toxicity" after using horse wormer.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/15002/person-hospitalized-after-taking-livestock-ivermectin-from-feed-store-to-treat-covid-19/

Yikes. And this is why I don’t find it “cute” or harmless that there are people even on this forum encouraging people to take ivermectin as a preventative, even to the point of past threads where they have said it’s just fine to take livestock ivermectin because it’s the same thing. Never mind horse paste comes in a massive tube meant for a thousand pound animal. (Yet an extremely well tested vaccine is apparently scary 🤷‍♀️).

Edited by KSera
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oh dear again, regional Vic locked down 😞

On selfish note, glad only essential workers kids can use childcare in Vic. Dd's girlfriend works in early childhood and I've been worried about her exposure. This at least cuts it down a little. I wish she'd been able to vaccinate before the outbreak, and DD too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I've got through two months of lockdown by thinking about Christmas, with my Melbourne dd able to visit. I now doubt the border will open for quite some time. 

I hear you. I was planning on seeing my oldest son and my mom with Alzheimers (before it is too late) in the USA over Christmas, but there is no way I will be able to get back into NZ if I leave.  MIQ is full full full.

Edited by lewelma
  • Sad 13

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

OMG Gladys talking about Covid being like the flu after vaccination. 

Case numbers not relevant. They've ditched zero Covid, they've ditched suppression. Lockdown only till we get to 70% of eligible pop vaxed. 

'Live life freely'. 

We're going full UK. 

Today’s rhetoric was slightly worse than yesterday’s.  sadly she will likely take the rest of Australia down as well.  Our borders are not that perfect.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, KSera said:

Not directed to you, since obviously you don’t set mask policy for your government 😉, but this hasn’t been the case here at all. And especially 12 years old seems super old to have as the lower limit. My youngest has been masking since two, and I know lots of other families with young kids who are handling it fine. I can’t wait for it to be done with, but it’s not the problem some people fear.  Also, given the choice between a kid fiddling with the outside of their mask or kid putting their hands in their nose or mouth (which a mask prevents) I’d much rather the former. That alone makes masks protective to others and to the kid.  Again, this is not directed to you, but just as a comment in general.

I had to fact  check that one because it just seems too awful. Yet wearing a mask is apparently a Bridge too far 🤷‍♀️.

Yikes. And this is why I don’t find it “cute” or harmless that there are people even on this forum encouraging people to take ivermectin as a preventative, even to the point of past threads where they have said it’s just fine to take livestock ivermectin because it’s the same thing. Never mind horse paste comes in a massive tube meant for a thousand pound animal. (Yet an extremely well tested vaccine is apparently scary 🤷‍♀️).

Yeah I get it.  It’s not worrying me while we are COVID zero but I suspect in SA they would change it if needed as our health officer seems to be cautious in spite of being on the liberal side of government.

I have given my youngest the choice on masking and he has chosen not to in play with friends but has chosen to wear one in shopping centres etc.  If it becomes more critical I will make him wear one everywhere indoors but for now I’m happy that he’s getting comfy with it without pressure.  He’s also my most fragile - no medical conditions but just one who is less robust if you know what I mean.

Things have been hectic today because we’re living in a parallel reality where everything is normal.  But 

61 cases for VIC

0 for Qld

8 for ACT

0 for WA

825 for NSW

and 21 for NZ according to our Aus news.

I was looking at worldometer last night and globally things have stabilised.  Also the deaths are no where near as high as previous spikes.  In Israel where cases are spiking there is an increase in deaths but still about 1/3 of the number that there were the last time cases were at a similar level.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

and 21 for NZ according to our Aus news.

We are expecting the daily numbers to go up until about Monday, and then start to decline. 3 of those 21 new cases are in Wellington, but I am not clear if they were close contacts or in the community. There is serious discussion of letting the South Island be the last one standing in the world with no cases. No planes, no boats, simple. LOL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lewelma said:

We are expecting the daily numbers to go up until about Monday, and then start to decline. 3 of those 21 new cases are in Wellington, but I am not clear if they were close contacts or in the community. There is serious discussion of letting the South Island be the last one standing in the world with no cases. No planes, no boats, simple. LOL.

That is what happened here and in QLD with clusters that popped up.  It’s not really increasing cases it’s just the already exposed cases becoming positive.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I was looking at worldometer last night and globally things have stabilised.  Also the deaths are no where near as high as previous spikes.  In Israel where cases are spiking there is an increase in deaths but still about 1/3 of the number that there were the last time cases were at a similar level.  

I had noticed this, too. I’m anxiously awaiting my state’s numbers over the next week or so because so far deaths are far lower than our winter spike with similar case numbers. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, popmom said:

I had noticed this, too. I’m anxiously awaiting my state’s numbers over the next week or so because so far deaths are far lower than our winter spike with similar case numbers. 

yeah, I'd hoped for that, but ours are pretty bad. Even with a good percentage of 65 plus vaccinated. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 9.12.27 AM.png

• Sad 6

On 8/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/inside-icu-bend-oregon-overwhelmed-covid/283-a0b54c1e-1069-46bf-97b2-510674ce8516

a good read on current conditions in intensive care units in hospitals in my state…which currently has 200-250 people boarding in emergency rooms waiting for ICU beds to open up.

This is why I am not going on a longer vacation right now.  I may go on an overnight or two nights next weekend, but yeah.  After a minor pelvic fracture last July and fall in February that resulted in one week stay in hospital in March and home health for a month and then wound care for many months, I am so wary of being in areas with lack of beds.

Hope it gets better in your area, prairiewindmomma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, KSera said:

I know one of my pets had a neurological reaction to ivermectin which is why I had zero interest in using it w/out my doctors telling me too.  I knew it was a more dangerous drug than hydroxychloroquine, whose primary danger is to the eyes and that doesn't occur until at least a year of use.  And occurs rarely. (I have been on it since 1997 with no eye damage).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-created-false-narrative-over-194944359.html

If anyone is reading about origins, the horrible way some scientists were covering their behinds, etc- I haven't watched the documentary but the story just brings the whole bungling back.  It also adds info from the intelligence reporting that has been going on since the media/govt here finally decided that yeah- it wasn't bats flying into Wuhan that started this catastrophe.

Talked to Melbourne dd yesterday - she got her first AZ. So proud of her - she's my kid with health anxiety so it was brave of her to be so rational. 

Dd and Ds have first Pfizer appts today. I feel super nervous about it all, for no good reason. 

We are moving ds' girlfriend in, due to her family circs, so she will be the only person in the house not partially vaxed - hopefully she will get hers soon. 

Edited by Melissa Louise
  • Like 7

Wow, is delta contagious. NZ has now almost completely ruled out a border worker transmitting covid from the index case in MIQ to the community. I assume that is because they have tested everyone and they are all clear (they were all vaccinated and using PPE so not likely anyway). Officials are now looking for 3 people who walked by the hotel at around the time that person was being moved from the airport bus to the Managed Isolation Hotel. They have CCTV, and the police are trying to find these 3 people. Sounds like they think that the positive person being moved breathed air out, and someone walked by around that time and breathed it in. This would be outside on a public footpath that was nearby. Gulp.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/449715/people-who-used-walkway-near-miq-facility-sought-by-contact-tracers

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1
  • Sad 14

13 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Yes, very contagious. 

Measures that worked last year to reduce numbers in Victoria are not working so well this time round. 

They are stretching the net very very wide here. And are suggesting that this guy and his family who he infected have 10,000 (yes TEN THOUSAND) close contacts. They are calling every single one of them.

He felt ill on Friday night. Was in Coromandel on Friday, Saturday, Sunday  morning. No one in Coromandel so far was infected and their waste water is clear. He was in Auckland on Sunday afternoon and Monday at which point he had a test and went home. His family would still be out on Tuesday (but not know yet they were positive) They put everyone into level 4 lockdown by Tuesday 11:59pm. So basically, they are looking at 10,000 people that he and his family possibly infected in around 60 hours. By casting the net wide, they hope to reign it in. They have learned from all the things tried in Australia. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Wow, is delta contagious.

Yikes. The one thing I've been most glad to stop doing since being vaccinated is wiping down groceries. I'm starting to wonder if I need to start again. We're already doing all the other things (but if outside transmission is a thing, that's a game changer as well. We have started wearing masks for some outside interactions, though).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yikes. The one thing I've been most glad to stop doing since being vaccinated is wiping down groceries. I'm starting to wonder if I need to start again. We're already doing all the other things (but if outside transmission is a thing, that's a game changer as well. We have started wearing masks for some outside interactions, though).

Well the NSW guy is clearly the index case. The genome testing is a match. So it had to get out of MIQ somehow.  All of the border workers are testing negative. That is leaving few possibilities. But they have lots of CCTV and lots of contact tracers and a very big motivation, so they will find the means of escape if at all possible. 

• Like 4

Believe it or not, 2% of NZ has been tested in the last 3 days!!  Only those at places of interest or close contacts. They are now at 71 cases (21 new ones today). So not exponential growth as there were 21 yesterday too. They are still hopeful. 

• Like 10

Just learned a friend of mine tested positive. Fully vaccinated since spring. Never stopped wearing mask in stores and other indoor settings. Only took mask off when she has been with friends/family she knew were vaccinated or when outdoors. Ugh. She is symptomatic. And she sounds absolutely miserable. 😥

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

32 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Just learned a friend of mine tested positive. Fully vaccinated since spring. Never stopped wearing mask in stores and other indoor settings. Only took mask off when she has been with friends/family she knew were vaccinated or when outdoors. Ugh. She is symptomatic. And she sounds absolutely miserable. 😥

Ugh is right. Does she have any guess where she got it? Hope she feels better soon. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

This is the problem now with vaccinated carrying it when asymptomatic.  I hope she has a mild case and recovers quickly.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KSera said:

Ugh is right. Does she have any guess where she got it? Hope she feels better soon. 

She didn't say - just that she's been vaccinated and has been wearing her mask except when she is in private w/ vaccinated friends/family. 

7 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

This is the problem now with vaccinated carrying it when asymptomatic.  I hope she has a mild case and recovers quickly.

I do too. She has been getting tested regularly before seeing her elderly mother. She thought she was feeling slightly short of breath due to the high humidity here the past few days (it's been gross out) and her most recent test came back positive. She's reporting shortness of breath, headache, bad neck ache, sore throat, dizziness, "brain zaps" (not sure what those are), upset stomach, and head feeling "weird". She is a friend from church and I am SO glad that we've stayed masked at church. We have a large number of elderly members.

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Yes, though to be fair, this is no change than from before vaccines. Pre-symptomatic transmission has always been the most common. That’s why people in general need to know that just having people who feel sick stay home isn’t going to be sufficient to even put a dent in this outbreak.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Coworker of a family member tested positive last week. This person had COVID (confirmed by PCR test) last year and is fully vaccinated. Tested with home test kit because they started feeling bad.  

Wish we had a good way to identify ahead of time people whose immune systems don’t seem to produce immunity to this disease. Seems helpful for those people to know. Maybe their doctors could be at the ready with a monoclonal antibody script or something in case they are exposed. That stinks. Hope they feel better soon.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Coworker of a family member tested positive last week. This person had COVID (confirmed by PCR test) last year and is fully vaccinated. Tested with home test kit because they started feeling bad.  

FYI the Binax home test says it has like a 3% false positive, make sure she tests twice. 

• Like 3

We are trialling home quarantine with a monitoring device for vaccinated international travellers. I’m not really happy about this.  Did they miss the memo on vaccinated people still spreading it?  Maybe the monitoring device will work but I suspect there’s too many ways around that.  They might not be able to leave without being detected but who is monitoring visitors?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Scomo today.  To be clear the experts behind what the 70pc rate is based on from the Doherty Institute came out and reiterated clearly that the modeling was on the basis of having around 30 cases a day as a starting point not 600.  Scott and Gladys seem to be firmly reiterating their intention to completely ignore that advice and continue to claim the modelling as the basis for opening even though they are or not using the modelling as it was intended.

“But once you get to 70 per cent of your country that is eligible for the vaccine, and 80 per cent, the plan sets out that we have to move forward. We cannot hold back."

"Our task between that day and now is to ensure that we ready ourselves for that next phase.

"It means that we must continue to vaccinate at the record paces we are now doing that. We must ensure that our public health systems are ready for the increase in the number of cases that will occur.

"We must be clear about the rules, the common sense rules, that continue to apply post-70 per cent and post-80 per cent, which is factored into the work that is being done, that has been the basis of our plan ...

"To realise the plan at 70 per cent and 80 per cent, the task is not to walk away, the task is not to delay, the task is not to fear, the task is to embrace, prepare, plan, ensure that we are in a position to do that.

"We have time to achieve that and already we are seeing our public health system stand up very strongly and I would envisage that in the time we have between now and when we reach those targets that there will be the opportunity to reinforce those plans for out State and Territories to know that they will be able to deal with this.

"Because we have to deal with it. Otherwise we stay in the cave forever. That's not a sustainable solution. So at some point, and we have nominated what that point is, we must go to the next level."

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Sad 4