Menu

Spices without politics?

medawyn

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I firmly believe overpriced spices are a scam. I like to buy cheap, single spices at an ethnic grocery store and mix my own. 

Of course, some might argue that it’s a political statement to shop at an ethnic grocery store. 😉

I’m always a bit mind-boggled when I look through a spice catalogue and see how much money they’re making.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Liz CA said:

How funny! Are they in competition with each other? I always thought it was one big Spicey Family.

Yep, they are in competition. The Spice House was started by Ruth and Bill Penzey in the 50s and then sold to their daughter and son-in-law, Patty and Tom Erd in the 90s. 

Bill Jr., their son, started Penzeys Spices in the 80s and it is a totally separate company.

I've talked with Patty Erd and she said that many of their Spice House customers used to buy from Penzeys but got sick of Bill's political rants and switched over.🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I firmly believe overpriced spices are a scam. I like to buy cheap, single spices at an ethnic grocery store and mix my own. 

My aunt was a wonderful cook (well, except for meat loaf), and she always bought whatever was cheapest, including spices. 

I buy McCormick and Spice Islands, and add in fresh parsley, rosemary, and sage which I grow or buy from the Kroger produce department. 

I confess to being somewhat of a vanilla snob, as I very much prefer Rodelle pure extract and it's pricey.  I still keep McCormick's on hand because sometimes the Rodelle is a little overpowering to blend with the flavors. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pippen said:

<snip>

I buy McCormick and Spice Islands, and add in fresh parsley, rosemary, and sage which I grow or buy from the Kroger produce department. 

<snip>

Where I live, these are expensive spices, compared with what I can buy at the local ethnic grocery stores. There's also one "regular" grocery store, not a chain, that sells large plastic bottles of various spices/herbs for cheap... but I don't always want to buy a large bottle that's going to last forever, since spices and herbs don't last forever.  

Almost 12 years after moving, I still miss Winco (big grocery store in the PNW and maybe elsewhere), where I could buy small amounts of herbs and spices from the bulk bins!

ETA: I suppose McCormicks and Spice Islands are cheaper than Penzey's et.al. I used to buy some things at Penzey's when they had a local store - I did like some of their their spice blends and while I can mix my own, I could not be sure of duplicating the results because I don't know the proportions used.  But like others, I couldn't handle the political rants.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, marbel said:

Where I live, these are expensive spices, compared with what I can buy at the local ethnic grocery stores. There's also one "regular" grocery store, not a chain, that sells large plastic bottles of various spices/herbs for cheap... but I don't always want to buy a large bottle that's going to last forever, since spices and herbs don't last forever.  

Almost 12 years after moving, I still miss Winco (big grocery store in the PNW and maybe elsewhere), where I could buy small amounts of herbs and spices from the bulk bins!

ETA: I suppose McCormicks and Spice Islands are cheaper than Penzey's et.al. I used to buy some things at Penzey's when they had a local store - I did like some of their their spice blends and while I can mix my own, I could not be sure of duplicating the results because I don't know the proportions used.  But like others, I couldn't handle the political rants.  

We have Winco here and even though some of their other offerings are not what I am looking for, they were the first ones with a large bulk section years ago.

I like my spices non-irradiated and usually buy in small quantities from a local market where they keep them in glass jars or dark jars depending on the spice.

Hasn't Penzey's business gone through the roof of late? I know I buy a ton more to support his political activism and love their spices. I didn't know the backstory re the family. Interesting drama.

(My apologies to the OP for derailing, but I see that she got help.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Hasn't Penzey's business gone through the roof of late? I know I buy a ton more to support his political activism and love their spices. I didn't know the backstory re the family. Interesting drama.

According to Bill Penzey, after the last presidential election, he lost 3% of his customers. However, online sales increased 60% and gift boxes more than doubled in sales. Personally, I bought spices from Penzey's for the first time as a Christmas present this year. 

The article linked below has those statistics and has some of the family backstory too. I can't find anything more recent on how the business is faring though.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/ceo-who-called-trump-racist-penzeys-spice-mix

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

According to Bill Penzey, after the last presidential election, he lost 3% of his customers. However, online sales increased 60% and gift boxes more than doubled in sales. Personally, I bought spices from Penzey's for the first time as a Christmas present this year. 

The article linked below has those statistics and has some of the family backstory too. I can't find anything more recent on how the business is faring though.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/ceo-who-called-trump-racist-penzeys-spice-mix

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I am Gen X, but his positions on social media have definitely prompted me (and other friends of mine, per their postings) to spend more to support his company.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Yes, several of my friends and I buy Penzey's in part because we like the spices but also to support their business. I don't usually buy spice mixes of any brand though. I prefer to mix my own. I buy single dried herbs and spices in bulk from them.

I'm jealous of those of you with ethnic stores or or other ways to buy spices locally. Although I'm happy to support Penzey's I would prefer to buy locally. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

He sends them via email once you sign up for emails or buy something from him. I don’t know about social media.

Spice House is non-political and respects their customers’ automony as far as unsolicited political diatribes. 

Yes, that's the perfect word. Penzey's tone came off as very shrill and condescending.  At least, back when I received their print catalog (which was quite a few years ago). I think I remember some things he said at the time that I agreed with, but his delivery still turned me off.  So disrespectful of anyone who disagreed with him.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Evidently I have nothing better to do today than to go to the Penzey site...but I didn't see any reference to politics. Is it hidden deep in the spices? 

Towards the bottom of the jar 😉

8 hours ago, happi duck said:

I find the politics refreshing in a way.  Businesses are run by people who have opinions.  It's more surprising to me that more business owners don't take a stance.  I appreciate Penzys taking a stance. 

I started shopping at Penzys because of a political post.

This is actually a trend that is being pushed by many who are very successful in the current world of social media advertising. Transparency, and branding, and not being one dimensional. The idea is that yes, expressing views or talking about things that are not your main focus can alienate a section of your buyers, but it can bring in just as many and is successful long term. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Towards the bottom of the jar 😉

This is actually a trend that is being pushed by many who are very successful in the current world of social media advertising. Transparency, and branding, and not being one dimensional. The idea is that yes, expressing views or talking about things that are not your main focus can alienate a section of your buyers, but it can bring in just as many and is successful long term. 

Oh boy.  OK, I know this may be a bit far out, but my first thought was imagining friends unable to go out to eat together because they couldn't find a restaurant whose political stance they could agree on.  So the conservatives eat here, they liberals eat there, and everyone's happy in their own echo chamber.  Or, people having a lively, friendly debate over dinner, and the people at nearby tables complain to management that someone in the place has the wrong views. A store clerk denying service to someone wearing the wrong hat or t-shirt. (Maybe that last has already happened?)

I dunno, maybe that's ridiculous. I do remember an acquaintance once telling me she was dumped by a friend because she liked Chick Fil A and the friend found their politics abhorrent. There's a company that wears their politics on their sleeve and have not suffered for it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Where is this?  (I’m in driving range and get up to the City from time to time.)

I haven't ever been there Carol. (Actually now I live in Indiana!) But I heard about them from a friend and have been ordering for a couple of years. I used to get my spices from the Winco bulk bins and also grow my own but SF Herb Co is SO much better than Winco. So now I make one order per year and the spices just are so fresh. The shipping is really reasonable but I do just order all my spices at once. And their prices are amazing. Anyway, here is the address on their website:

250 14th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, marbel said:

Oh boy.  OK, I know this may be a bit far out, but my first thought was imagining friends unable to go out to eat together because they couldn't find a restaurant whose political stance they could agree on.  So the conservatives eat here, they liberals eat there, and everyone's happy in their own echo chamber.  Or, people having a lively, friendly debate over dinner, and the people at nearby tables complain to management that someone in the place has the wrong views. A store clerk denying service to someone wearing the wrong hat or t-shirt. (Maybe that last has already happened?)

I dunno, maybe that's ridiculous. I do remember an acquaintance once telling me she was dumped by a friend because she liked Chick Fil A and the friend found their politics abhorrent. There's a company that wears their politics on their sleeve and have not suffered for it. 

I'm glad that Chick Fil A puts their politics out there. It makes it easy for me to know where to spend my money when I've got a hankering for fast food. Same with Hobby Lobby, etc. I wouldn't dump a friend just because she chose to spend her money otherwise, though. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3

I guess when I think about this thread some more that's the real question for me: would you rather spend your money with a company that values what you value or would you rather be in the dark about it? Yes, Penzeys has offended some here with his diatribes. He's also brought in several of us who probably wouldn't have bought spices from him before. Chick Fil A and Hobby Lobby offend people like me and bring in tons of others for taking their positions. I love the transparency of these companies vs. subsequently finding out that a brand I've been supporting for many years is actively (albeit discreetly) working against values to which I hold dear.

For example, I'm not sure how I feel about eating at In-N-Out. There's a lot of rumors and innuendo, but nothing substantive to help me make good decisions. Yes, they have Bible verses on their food. So? Yes, they have donated to the GOP in the past. So? I need more information to make an informed decision! Until then, I continue to eat my burgers, albeit with this unsure feeling.  

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I'm glad that Chick Fil A puts their politics out there. It makes it easy for me to know where to spend my money when I've got a hankering for fast food. Same with Hobby Lobby, etc. I wouldn't dump a friend just because she chose to spend her money otherwise, though. 

Yeah, I can see that too.  What I was thinking was more... we (US) are already so polarized politically.  Could/would it make it worse, to know details of company owners' politics?  I don't know.  Just imagining..

"Wow, Ted, these ribs are delicious! What seasonings did you use?"

"Penzey's BBQ rub, it's the best!"

"What?  Penzey's?  I can't believe you buy from that **&$(_(&%$!!" [pushes plate away]

OK,  yeah, I know, probably ridiculous... but maybe not?  Again, I don't know.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I guess when I think about this thread some more that's the real question for me: would you rather spend your money with a company that values what you value or would you rather be in the dark about it? Yes, Penzeys has offended some here with his diatribes. He's also brought in several of us who probably wouldn't have bought spices from him before. Chick Fil A and Hobby Lobby offend people like me and bring in tons of others for taking their positions. I love the transparency of these companies vs. subsequently finding out that a brand I've been supporting for many years is actively (albeit discreetly) working against values to which I hold dear.

For example, I'm not sure how I feel about eating at In-N-Out. There's a lot of rumors and innuendo, but nothing substantive to help me make good decisions. Yes, they have Bible verses on their food. So? Yes, they have donated to the GOP in the past. So? I need more information to make an informed decision! Until then, I continue to eat my burgers, albeit with this unsure feeling.  

I’d rather have companies just do business without politics of any kind. Sell the best shoes or food or whatever hopefully at a price that I can afford. Treat your employees and customers fairly (I don’t think that’s political). Let employees and employers vote how they want but don’t make it part of the business. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I’d rather have companies just do business without politics of any kind. Sell the best shoes or food or whatever hopefully at a price that I can afford. Treat your employees and customers fairly (I don’t think that’s political). Let employees and employers vote how they want but don’t make it part of the business. 

If only that were possible, Jean. But, with our current big-money political system, companies would be naive not to spend their money on lobbying and political organizations to represent their interests in DC and state legislatures. So, how many businesses are truly doing business without politics of any kind these days?

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Yeah, I can see that too.  What I was thinking was more... we (US) are already so polarized politically.  Could/would it make it worse, to know details of company owners' politics?  I don't know.  Just imagining..

"Wow, Ted, these ribs are delicious! What seasonings did you use?"

"Penzey's BBQ rub, it's the best!"

"What?  Penzey's?  I can't believe you buy from that **&$(_(&%$!!" [pushes plate away]

OK,  yeah, I know, probably ridiculous... but maybe not?  Again, I don't know.

I don't think it is ridiculous at all. It's a legitimate concern in this divisive political climate, IMO. But, I think your concern has less to do with companies being transparent and more to do with our current crass discourse and our leadership forgetting how to behave in a civil society. Personally, if I went to someone's house for a party, and I saw that it was catered by Chick Fil A, my stomach might turn for a quick second, but then I would suck it up, act like a gosh darn grown up, and eat the food that was kindly offered to me by my host without bringing up a political convo about it. How hard is that? Like my G-pa used to say, "You may have been right, Monique. But, because you had to prove you were right, you were very very wrong."

However...

If, I was in charge of catering an event, you can bet that I would not spend my organization's money having CFA cater the event. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I don't think it is ridiculous at all. It's a legitimate concern in this divisive political climate, IMO. But, I think your concern has less to do with companies being transparent and more to do with our current crass discourse and our leadership forgetting how to behave in a civil society. Personally, if I went to someone's house for a party, and I saw that it was catered by Chick Fil A, my stomach might turn for a quick second, but then I would suck it up, act like a gosh darn grown up, and eat the food that was kindly offered to me by my host without bringing up a political convo about it. How hard is that? Like my G-pa used to say, "You may have been right, Monique. But, because you had to prove you were right, you were very very wrong."

However...

If, I was in charge of catering an event, you can bet that I would not spend my organization's money having CFA cater the event. 

Maybe the difference for me is the way the company expresses their politics.  I had been disgusted with the way Penzey had expressed his years ago, well before current leadership was around.  As far as I can see (or recall, as it's been a while), he wasn't any different in being crass, rude, uncivil.  Of course others will see that differently.

I also wonder what the environment is like for employees in a company that is highly political. Are they made uncomfortable if they have opposing views?  (I'm not asking for an answer to this, just part of my pondering the topic.)

I appreciate the discussion here.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, marbel said:

Maybe the difference for me is the way the company expresses their politics.  I had been disgusted with the way Penzey had expressed his years ago, well before current leadership was around.  As far as I can see (or recall, as it's been a while), he wasn't any different in being crass, rude, uncivil.  Of course others will see that differently.

I also wonder what the environment is like for employees in a company that is highly political. Are they made uncomfortable if they have opposing views?  (I'm not asking for an answer to this, just part of my pondering the topic.)

I appreciate the discussion here.

I can't imagine you would want to work at Penzeys if you want to build a wall. That's for sure. 

I also wouldn't want to work at Hobby Lobby if I valued employee coverage for contraception. 

I mean, companies consist of a culture of ideas and values. Hopefully, people who are trying to build a shared vision of the future, to some extent. You are looking for fit. Cohesion. A team. I would personally want to know the types of people for/with whom I am working. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 3

From the article linked: “Shortly after the Spice House distanced itself from Penzeys, Erd and her husband began reaching out to conservative bloggers, sharing a special offer for anyone in need of a new spice purveyor: free shipping to those who used the promotional code nopolitics.”

Reached out to conservative bloggers with a coupon code? So, the Spice House absolutely comes with a side of politics. They just wrap it in a fake apolitical veneer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I can't imagine you would want to work at Penzeys if you want to build a wall. That's for sure. 

I also wouldn't want to work at Hobby Lobby if I valued employee coverage for contraception. 

I mean, companies consist of a culture of ideas and values. Hopefully, people who are trying to build a shared vision of the future, to some extent. You are looking for fit. Cohesion. A team. I would personally want to know the types of people for/with whom I am working. 

I agree in theory, but sometimes you take the job that's available and keep your opinions to yourself.  People can't always choose a company that fits their moral/ethical/political views perfectly.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

I agree in theory, but sometimes you take the job that's available and keep your opinions to yourself.  People can't always choose a company that fits their moral/ethical/political views perfectly.  

Yes, my perspective is most certainly influenced by the fact that I live in a large city and worked in industries where jobs are typically plentiful (finance and the law). That is an excellent point.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, happi duck said:

I find the politics refreshing in a way.  Businesses are run by people who have opinions.  It's more surprising to me that more business owners don't take a stance.  I appreciate Penzys taking a stance. 

I started shopping at Penzys because of a political post.

It's not surprising to me and I would MUCH rather business owners stay neutral. And that goes for companies who support causes I personally agree with. I don't want my consumer purchases to be scrutinized for deeper meaning than "Chick-Fil-A's ranch wrap is yummy" or "that Nike sneaker is cute".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

If only that were possible, Jean. But, with our current big-money political system, companies would be naive not to spend their money on lobbying and political organizations to represent their interests in DC and state legislatures. So, how many businesses are truly doing business without politics of any kind these days?

While I am certainly aware of companies that do spend money on lobbying and political organizations, my wish were that it weren't so.  And while I haven't done a search on every single company I buy from or do business with, it is certainly true that some are more in your face about it than others.  In fact, for a bunch of companies I would have to specifically sit down and search to see if I found anything because it's not anything I have heard about in the news etc.  In fact I just took ten minutes and looked up a bunch of retailers that I like and while some did contribute to politics (often both parties and not just one exclusively), many did not - at least that I could tell.  The national companies were more likely to have a political presence but I prefer to give my business to a lot of local companies who as far as I can tell, do not. 

• Like 1