Menu

What do you buy at the dollar store?

mommyoffive

What are good buys at the dollar store?   We used to have one in town a decade ago.  I have now found one close to the dance school my kids go to.  So what are good buys there? 

One thing that is good for us is balloons.  At walmart they are 3-7 bucks each.  Granted this is only for birthday times, but still. 

We no longer have one near by, but I when I had little kids to teach I found a ton of useful sorting items and manipulatives to go with the seasons.  Then during the summer they got in some fun teaching things for the K -1 crowd.

Balloons, gift bags, disposable party supplies.  

Supplies for art projects.

I noticed that our Dollar Tree has foil pans. They are pretty expensive at our grocery store and I use them when I bring people a meal. So I will definitely be looking there the next time I stock up.  

I have read about people buying bread at Dollar Tree. I just don't have time to hit it that often.

Science related: I needed shoe shine sponges for my class (forensic science) and they had them--2 for $1.  I also found $1 lipstick there for my class for chelioscopy. 

They also sell reading glasses. I bought a pair and a cloth zippered holder for $2 total.  ? 

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I noticed that our Dollar Tree has foil pans. They are pretty expensive at our grocery store and I use them when I bring people a meal. So I will definitely be looking there the next time I stock up.  

I have read about people buying bread at Dollar Tree. I just don't have time to hit it that often.

Science related: I needed shoe shine sponges for my class (forensic science) and they had them--2 for $1.  I also found $1 lipstick there for my class for chelioscopy. 

They also sell reading glasses. I bought a pair and a cloth zippered holder for $2 total.  ? 

Me too.  The one I go to doesn't have bread.  That would be awesome because I heard it is the expensive brand the kids like. 

Gift bags, wrapping paper, aluminum foil pans for sending food to others, small tools like screw drivers/wrenches/eyeglass repair kits which I keep multiples of, plastic trays that I use for soaking my feet, isopropyl alcohol that I use for cleaning granite counters, hydrogen peroxide, black elastic hair bands to keep my hair up. Ours is not very well organized and has things strewn around. So, I leave as soon as I pick up what I need. No browsing.

Craft supplies, especially things like poster board and foil paper. Gift bags. I do a lot of crafting for DD’s cheer team, and Dollar Tree is usually cheaper on supplies than Michaels-and faster than ordering from Oriental trading. 

Five below is good for whatever trendy thing kids are into. It has a lot of the kind of stuff that Claire’s and Justice have. They also have decent cell phone charging cables. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

Five below is good for whatever trendy thing kids are into. It has a lot of the kind of stuff that Claire’s and Justice have. They also have decent cell phone charging cables. 

Five Below also has great candy - I get stocking stuffers there. 

The Dollar Store - movie theater box candy for $1. 

My Dollar store apparently had a frozen rib sandwich that tasted just like a McRib. There was a man in line in front of me who was stocking up on them. 

• Haha 1

Dollar Tree is the good dollar store around here. The things I buy are pretty random. I buy ball pumps to put in Operation Christmas Child boxes, stickers and trinkets for school. I’ve gotten lots of flashlights and small vases too. 

When my kids were younger that was where they spent their money, because it was easy to say “you can buy 3 things” instead of constantly telling them they didn’t have enough money. 

Greeting cards. I send a lot of cards since we live far away from family. 50 cents a card is a great price. 

‘Also little fillers when I need to mail something. I usually have a bit of room when mailing boxes to our kids or grandkids and can pick up things like single size pistachios, toothbrushes, etc. 

Tissues and toilet paper

bleach

snack size, sandwich size and quart size bags that I don't intend to use in the freezer

parchment paper

little storage boxes for odds and ends that get lost if they don't have a home

The sipper bottles of Gatorade when we go on a long trip (the tall ones with the twist open and close sipper top)

Big water bottles for long trips

Brillo pads when our walmart is out (which is fairly often sigh)

USB cords (they are surprisingly good quality for only being a dollar)

Big plastic envelope things in the school supply section that can hold a letter size piece of paper without folding it (they are great for holding a day's worth of printables for school or to hold all the pieces of a cut and paste project together until we are finished with it or print and play games and their pieces)

Tools for our 5yo to experiment with (hammers, screwdrivers, coping saw, level ect to build his own creations from scrap wood or limbs in the yard, if he breaks it, loses it or leaves it outside, it's not as hard to swallow when it is only a dollar)

Safety glasses and safety goggles

Masking tape, duct tape and scotch tape for kid use (not as expensive when they waste it)

coloring books for long trips

pregnancy tests (not something I buy any more but back when I needed them they were super sensitive and cheap if you feel the need to re-test multiple times to confirm the result...either positive or negative)

They have some neat school wall posters and manipulatives at back to school time

Edit to Add: This is all at Dollar Tree. I don't ever go to Family Dollar or Dollar General.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1

Children's toothpaste and toothbrushes, little hair rubber bands, dish washing brushes, birthday party decorations, helium balloons, craft supplies like pipe cleaners and pompoms, stickers, stocking stuffer novelty candies. 

Those are the things I regularly get at the dollar tree and are cheaper than anywhere else. 

• Like 1

Dollar General has the best reading glasses.  They're 1/3 the price of the ones at Walgreens, and they last 17 times longer (very durable).

Dd likes fake nails because they keep her from picking at her cuticles.  We get those at the dollar store.

Fake flowers.

Gift bags

I got 12 pairs of socks for $2.  I was on vacation and hadn't brought enough.  I figured I'd wear each pair once and have to throw it away, but they've proven to be great socks.  (Don't know if that's true across the board).

• Like 2

Kitchen utensils - large spoons, metal tongs, measuring spoons and cups.  They had a lot of Betty Crocker items last year.

Plastic serving dishes for outdoor grad parties

Colored paper plates and napkins 

Reading glasses

Socks 

Gift bags and tissue paper

• Like 1

The only time I make a specific trip to the dollar store is to pick up birthday balloons. It's ridiculous how much other stores want for them. Otherwise anything else I buy is just something I found while browsing since I was already there. I do like the price of their organizational items so that is one thing I look for if I'm heading into the store.

Dollar Tree

• gift bags
  • greeting cards
  • birthday party decorations
  • balloons
  • seasonal decorations 
  • toilet bowl scrub brush
  • sponges - scrubbers 
  • dust pan on a stick
  • foil pans
  • storage containers
  • bread
  • pasta
  • snacks - chips, candy, cookies
  • bread
  • finger nail files
  • hair brushes
  • hair clips & pony tail holders - some are not as long lasting as better brands but I loose these often so no big deal to me
  • puzzle books - crossword, work search, sudoku etc.
  • a box of 3 packs of Tylenol, Excedrin & Advil (2 in a pack) 

Sometimes you can find really nice adult coloring books but that is hit and miss.  

• Like 2

Dollar Tree:  

Stuff for Pinterest crafting

Gift bags for classroom crafts

plastic tablecloths for crafts, painting, filming projects (green screen)

candle holders/glass vases for tablescapes

I bought some 3-subject notebooks at the start of school, wish I'd bought more.  The quality is as good or better than Mead.

Our 99Cent store has upped prices, no longer worth the shopping trip

When I taught preschool, I bought about a thousand glass vase-filler "gems." I would use them all over my class, and make manipulatives by drawing on them with permanent marker. I'd also buy other, seasonal items to decorate my classroom or have in tinker trays for transient art. Cork boards (like hot pads for the table), silverware drawer inserts (to put small objects in for art), erasers to sort, frames to empty and use for transient art-- the Dollar Tree is a preschool teacher's dream store.                                                                                                  

Seconding everything else people said. 

I usually got greeting cards there, but they are REALLY basic. I do like their thank you notes, though--as a teacher, it was nice to only spend 2 bucks on the 10 cards I needed to send 3 times a year. 

I also bought about a dozen red-checked dish cloths, and kept them in a basket near the sink. Those things were gold--I wish I had them now, and probably will ask dd to bring some over at Christmas! 

Edited by Chris in VA

I used Dollar Tree to stock up our science cart with salt, Epsom salt, corn starch, tape, safety goggles, toothpicks, cotton balls, string, foil pans, disposable cups and bowls and much more.

I also used DT to put together sensory bins for the toddler. Measuring cups, funnels, colander, bins with lids, and more.

Seasonal decor

Party supplies

Art and craft supplies

Ours has a really great teacher section and I get lots of things for our school room. Big foam dice for math games. Labels, stickers, poster letters. Learning posters. Poster board. Big wall maps for a buck! Can't beat that!

Dd likes the mad libs, word searches, little notebooks, and hair supplies.

Ours has a travel toothbrush kit that is a zippered pouch with a toothbrush, a travel cap, AND a little brand name toothpaste! I have one for the whole family in our travel bag, another whole family set in our 72 hour kits, and I always include them in grab bags/party bags for all the kids when those occasions arise, and care kits when someone is in the hospital/has surgery.

On the rare occasion I need poster board, I get it there even though it is flimsy -  2/$1. I don't see any quality products there. If I were one to buy candy bars, I might get them there as they are cheaper, but I generally don't find the quality on other items to be worth the low price and the trip outside of my normal route.

Nothing. Every time I enter, I have to resist the urge to buy things just because they are cheap, not because I actually need them. 

I have more greeting cards I received for free from various organizations than I will ever write in my life. We reuse wrapping paper and gift bags, so have tons of those. None of my kids were interested in crafts. I reuse the few items of seasonal decor I own, as well as party decorations.