Menu

What is the best relief for sinus pressure.

1GirlTwinBoys

One of my friends was telling another with sinusitis to try steam from a shower/neti pot and then immediately using Flonase spray while hanging the head upside down (like off the end of a bed). That way the Flonase goes up into the sinuses rather than dripping down the throat.

Walgreens has an OTC, but behind the counter, med that combines real sudafed with some other something. It's called Wal-phed and comes in a green box, and of course you can only get one box at a time which is dumb. BUT, this stuff, paired with ibuprofen or tylenol, works SO WELL. You have to go and ask for it and sign for it and all, and it's only at Walgreen's, but it's really good. 

Add in the nasal spray & steam to get it really kicked, but this will help keep it kicked. Seriously good stuff. 

Lots of experience with this... 

These are the steps I take:

1. Drink a lot of water!

2. Steam shower or bath

3. Diluted (with coconut oil) peppermint oil rubbed on forehead and a little on bridge of nose and cheeks. BE CAREFUL about around the eyes!!! 

4. Doing a Netti pot after step 1-3 is more productive than doing netti pot alone, but even netti alone is better than nothing! Netti pot can be done a few times a day.

5. If not getting enough relief from steps 1-4 I will do a zyrtec and repeat the netti pot. 

6. If really bad, I take pain killer while doing steps 1-5

SUDAFED. 
The good, original, that they only sell behind the counter now because people buy it to make meth. 
The kind that has PSEUDOEPHEDRINE, not the kind that has phenylephrine. 
The phenlephrine version is labeled "Sudafed PE", and that's the stuff that you DON'T want.

I agree with the previous suggestions about steam - take a nice warm shower.

Allergy meds, and in particular prescription nasal sprays, may be helpful.
If it's allergy related, giving your home a thorough clean to minimize dust and dander can be an important part of your strategy.  That means dusting your bookshelves (cause I know if you're on WTM you have bookshelves!), washing your sheets, and vacuuming your floors. 

• Like 4

I can get brief relief by pressing on the pressure points under my fingernails. I know that sounds completely crazy, but it's a thing.

http://www.sinuspressurepoints.com/pressure-point-locations/arms-and-hands-pressure-points

Sudafed sends my blood pressure up 40 points, and I'm already on every OTC and Rx med there is for allergies.

I would NOT Afrin. My roommate in college had major rebound effect from using it too regularly.

I have had long term sinus issues with limited success from meds. I've also recently had quite a bad sinus infection which I had antibiotics for which helped somewhat but didn't completely cure it. Then, I read about how ginger is an amazing anti-inflammatory and also really good for clearing the sinuses. So I have been trying it by adding ginger to smoothies. Amazingly, it seems to be working by clearing out stuff that I'm sure has been there 'forever' (sorry TMI) and definitely left me feeling a lot less inflamed and infected.

So....ginger. Might be worth a try.

Edited by LindaOz
  • Like 1

After having a ruptured eardrum after a bad head cold, I go to my chiro who uses his activator (aka "clicker" by common folk like me) along my face to help break up the congestion. First time I went to him for this, he said it might take up to 24 hours to start draining. It started on the ride home. I was so relieved. 

Also, I see a video linked above, but here is another one:

• Like 2

Trying many of these. Woke up in such sinus pain that I couldn't get out of bed yesterday. No congestion or cold symptoms other than in my ears and sinuses.

So far, ibuprofen and hot showers are theonly thing that makes a real difference.

Trying the massage in the previous post next.

• Like 1

S/O my other thread...

When your head is PACKED with sinus pressure. What do you do to help with that? You know when it's so bad you can't lean over.

I have done steam with eucalyptus oil drops and that does help for a while. Also saline spray.

What else can I do?

Sometimes I think only an axe to cleave my skull in 2 would help.

• 5 months later...

Another vote for real sudafed. I prefer the 12-hour, but I can only take one in the morning or it will keep me awake at night. 

Ibuprofen for pain and inflammation 

Flonase (this doesn’t help me immediately but it will help me avoid a sinus infection usually)

If there’s any chance this has turned into an infection,  go to the dr! 

do pressure points.  LOTS of water, mucinex (thins secretions) - garlic steam

a lot of the time - sinuses issues can be caused by yeast/fungus.  candizyme and serrapeptase  can reduce it.  

then find out what is going on.   I have a mild mold allergy - I cannot have yeast.   if I do . . . my whole face. . . . no more brie and baguettes (cry) - if I do. . . my face pays for it

do a neti pot to help keep your sinuses clean from airborne particles

I haven't read previous posts, but dh has been plagued with sinus issues for years.  He recommends spicy foods: Chinese Hot and Sour soup if you have a good place nearby, or chips and hot picante sauce.

Anything spicy should help, if you feel well enough to eat.

I hope you feel better soon!

6 hours ago, DoraBora said:

I haven't read previous posts, but dh has been plagued with sinus issues for years.  He recommends spicy foods: Chinese Hot and Sour soup if you have a good place nearby, or chips and hot picante sauce.

Anything spicy should help, if you feel well enough to eat.

I hope you feel better soon!

I tend to do the same thing -- eat spicy foods. It definitely helps me.

I also like using a warm rice pack across my face. Both the pressure & the warmth help.