Menu

You need a dress for your husband's company Christmas party...

theelfqueen

And you don't want to wear what you already own.

Where do you shop? What are you looking at?

In other words -- HELP ME FIND A DRESS!!!!

I'm in the 14-16 size range. I cannot wear an empire waist it makes me look pregnant (and I definitely am NOT). Wrap dresses are frequently flattering but sort of boring. And I don't like my dresses much above the knee. 

Edited by theelfqueen

I'm keeping my eyes open on the Talbot's website for a "festive" blouse to go with my black pencil skirt. I can get matching flats if I find some that aren't expensive, otherwise I'll just wear my black flats. 

I've done this before and also worn a similar look with black dress pants and heels.

I would wear my Vickki Vi LBD but buy a stunning, long, narrowish scarf to dress it up completely differently from any other outfit I have.

I saw this gorgeous silk scarf recently that had one color way on one end, and a different one on the other, and that would be my first pick, except that it was more than I would spend so it would have to be on sale for like 50% off.  I wouldn't tie it, I would just wear it down, and I'd dig through my oldest costume jewelry for a gaudy necklace to wear in the middle.

I loved the "Jessica Howard" dress I bought on Amazon for my daughter's wedding. Free returns. It was so comfortable! I got a jacket dress as they are the most flattering for me. I was surprised at the nice packaging it came in, too. It was not all wadded up like most things I get there.

I would go to Talbots and tell the sales woman what the occasion was and be her bring me dresses in the dressing room. Or J Jill.

In recent years I have found that Talbots doesn't stock many dresses in their stores. They have two or three options in the store but many more on their website. 

Have any of you ordered anything from popjulia? Ads keep popping up as I read online and while I rarely chase a rabbit on internet ads, I did see two things I really like. Just don't know anything about that company.

(Sorry to hijack, OP, but if anyone has had a positive experience, it might be another source for you.)

Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Black White Market are a few stores I like. They do carry 14-16 but you may have to order online. I tend to shop their clearance racks because the clothes are pricy. But I have one Ann Taylor dress that's 15 years old that I still wear and a BW Market dress I've worn for 10 years and still get compliments on.

If you have a mall, you may just want to go see what's available. A place like TJ Maxx or Marshalls may be an option too. Also, Target does sometimes have clothes that will work for an event like this.

• Like 2

This may be too formal and expensive but it is beautiful! My last dress there was a clearance dress I paid $35 for last summer, so I was having sticker shock tonight looking at the dress prices.

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/black+lace+fitandflare+dress/570183267?color=001&catId=cat210002

ETA

Theres a promo code for 25% off a purchase at WHBM, it expires in a few day, I can't get the link to work but it's on the website.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

Depends on the wrap dress, I don't think they're boring (check Diane Von Furstenburg for e.g., these are often on sale).

I'd look at jcrew and Boden too.

I should have kept that Diane Von Furstenburg from my youth. My dd laughs at me when I tell her I wore all these clothes once before.  

• Like 2

We haven't gone in YEARS... DH got a promotion and we kind of have to go now. It's a semi-formal kind of event -- not quite cocktail dresses but dressy.

In that case you may have to go a step above Target. Do you still have a nice Macy's or Nordstrom nearby? Salespeople who have a good eye for shape, color, etc are invaluable.

• Like 2

I've bought company Christmas party dresses at Dress Barn and Dillard's.

I may have squealed with glee when DH took his current job, because they do not have an annual holiday party. I'm off the hook!

My husband's company does a family event instead....a big casual pasta dinner that is catered, and then hot chocolate and a movie under the stars, a little train ride, photos with Santa, etc. Casual outfits :)

• Like 2

My husband's company does a family event instead....a big casual pasta dinner that is catered, and then hot chocolate and a movie under the stars, a little train ride, photos with Santa, etc. Casual outfits :)

That's awesome! I like adult only outings, but I don't like freezing my butt off in a dress every December. Gimme sweaters and fuzzy boots and cocoa.

DH's employer lets them bring kids with them to work on the 24th, or whatever the last workday is before Christmas. They have food for the kids and let them watch holiday movies in a conference room. That way the other parent can finish wrapping... or shopping... or get their own work done without hiring childcare when school's out.

If I wasn't such a germaphobe around the holidays I'd send them all. 36 hours later... yep kids, Santa came, now here's the barf bucket.

Another vote for Dress Barn. I was having a clothing crisis earlier this fall, and Dress Barn was recommended to me by this forum. I've been back several times now, and I always find lots of things I like. I actually purchase whatever's on sale, and I've slowly been building my wardrobe again. And I appreciate how helpful the sales clerks are.