Menu

Stuff that should be banned

Katy

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one. It’s called Zipper Merging, and it actually reduces the “back up†of waiting traffic. The lane goes as far as it goes for a reason. It keeps traffic moving quicker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_(traffic)

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost.com/news/canada/all-hail-the-zipper-merge-how-canadian-politeness-is-killing-the-efficiency-of-our-highways/amp

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/arstechnica.com/cars/2014/07/the-beauty-of-zipper-merging-or-why-you-should-drive-ruder/%3famp=1

In my area it does not make things better, it results in a fender bender which ties up traffic forever!! This because Michiganders have no patience for people who zip up to the end and then attempt to ram your car to get in. The rage takes over, the car with the right of way does not move, and zippity do dah car does not react and swerve back, he nails the other driver and gets a ticket.

So no. It does not help. It makes everything worse.

• Like 1

Where I live there are different lane markings. If there's is a dotted line all the way up its a situation where person in the lane that ends gives way but if it's two lanes with a dotted line that stops and becomes one lane then you are meant to zip merge. In either lane people need to give way to whichever vehicle is in front.

• Like 2

In my area it does not make things better, it results in a fender bender which ties up traffic forever!! This because Michiganders have no patience for people who zip up to the end and then attempt to ram your car to get in. The rage takes over, the car with the right of way does not move, and zippity do dah car does not react and swerve back, he nails the other driver and gets a ticket.

So no. It does not help. It makes everything worse.

If it's a genuine zip merge lane where I live at least the car that's in front at the end of the lane has right of way. So if the car in the other lane doesn't let them in and they had their nose in front they are breaching road rules.

• Like 4

Zipper merging works best when they don't tell you which lane is closed ahead. When they first started resurfacing the highway near my house, they had "Left lane closed ahead - use zipper merge" on one of those electronic signs. Of course, no one listened. Everyone got in the right lane a mile and a half ahead of the closure.

After a couple weeks, they changed the sign to "lane closed ahead - use zipper merge". No one knew which lane was closed that day until they got up there and, surprise, traffic was a bit less backed up.

• Like 8

I would ban

gmo produce

Cellulose in food

Inhumane people working at slaughter houses

Companies that willfully pollute the environment

Factory farming

Cock fighting

Bull fighting

Dog fighting

Dog racing

Puppy mills

Breed specific legislation

Wild animals at the circus

Fracking

Sonar that hurts the whales

Whatever it is that is killing the bees

And most importantly, perfume/cologne anywhere near me.

Edited to add: anyone who pushes an essential oil as sound medical advice.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

(I would add chaining dogs outside for hours--or days, or years--at a time.)

• Like 8

I have a new one. I want to ban my dog from barking every time he hears the word "come" in a sentence. Lewis, you dumb dog. That word gets used when people AREN'T at the door. Not everything is "Come in".

Cute keeps this canine alive, I tell ya!

Anytime we use the word "out" in a sentence my toddler runs and gets his shoes.

• Like 4

I'm not a talking zipper lanes. I'm talking a lane that ends due to lack of space to extend said lane. There is a solid line and yet people still cut over. Or, even worse, a left turn lane next to a straight lane that's backed up for half a mile. Drivers somehow think its OK to bypass traffic in the left lane and then, instead of turning, put their blinker signal on and expect to be let in the straight lane.

Zipper lanes have their place, and have helped in some situations around here. But for the most part an ending lane in a high traffic area just makes things infinitely worse. Nobody wants to sit in traffic. We all have places to go. So I don't get why some think they are entitled to bypass everyone else. Just creates more traffic while we all have to stop to let them in. I live in an area that is growing way too fast for the infrastructure to keep up.

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

When you turn the ringer off on your iPhone and it buzzes. It makes my heart beat really fast and I get nervous. I hate that buzz sound!

The buzz when an Amber Alert goes off about gives me a heart attack every time. It's louder and longer than the silent ringer buzzing. I mean, I get why, but holy heck it makes me jump out of my skin.

• Like 4

I'm not a talking zipper lanes. I'm talking a lane that ends due to lack of space to extend said lane. There is a solid line and yet people still cut over. Or, even worse, a left turn lane next to a straight lane that's backed up for half a mile. Drivers somehow think its OK to bypass traffic in the left lane and then, instead of turning, put their blinker signal on and expect to be let in the straight lane.

Zipper lanes have their place, and have helped in some situations around here. But for the most part an ending lane in a high traffic area just makes things infinitely worse. Nobody wants to sit in traffic. We all have places to go. So I don't get why some think they are entitled to bypass everyone else. Just creates more traffic while we all have to stop to let them in. I live in an area that is growing way too fast for the infrastructure to keep up.

But ANY time a lane ends, drivers are supposed to zipper merge. They are all “zipper lanes†if one lane ends.

Using turn lanes is a whole different level of a-hole, but drivers who are using every available and legal space in a lane that is still a lane, until it’s not, are actually not the ones causing problems. They are “entitled†because they are following the rules of the road. The “ragers†in the slow lane who merged too soon and feel entitled to refuse to allow zippers from the END of the lane are the ones causing problems. No one needs to stop completely if it’s done properly.

In other words, to keep traffic flowing smoothly, you are supposed to use ALL available driving space as long as possible - including lanes that are ending. If you merge into the slow lane before your lane ends, you are contributing to slowing down traffic.

It’s not ME saying this, it’s the traffic engineers. Read the links.

• Like 6

OOoh, yes! And how about pharmaceutical ads on TV in general.

Especially the ones that have side effects that take thirty seconds to read of at the speed of light to get them all in...paaaaalease...I will just keep the disease!

Do not interrupt Madam Secretary with these things.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 7

I like them muddy outside, but they like to be muddy inside.

I let my toddler have a sand table inside and we were walking around on sand covered floors for a month lol :). I used to never do things like that but with this baby I'm all about just letting him make a mess for some reason.

• Like 1

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one. It’s called Zipper Merging, and it actually reduces the “back up†of waiting traffic. The lane goes as far as it goes for a reason. It keeps traffic moving quicker.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_(traffic)

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost.com/news/canada/all-hail-the-zipper-merge-how-canadian-politeness-is-killing-the-efficiency-of-our-highways/amp

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/arstechnica.com/cars/2014/07/the-beauty-of-zipper-merging-or-why-you-should-drive-ruder/%3famp=1

See, now that is how it is *supposed* to work, and it looks beautiful on paper, but you are failing to take into account the huge numbers of impatient @$?! drivers who jump out, fly past as many cars as they can, then expect someone to slam on their brakes to let them in (without using a turn signal...another pet peave of mine, but I digress...)

Actually, let's just ban stupid drivers. Problem solved!

• Like 5

See, now that is how it is *supposed* to work, and it looks beautiful on paper, but you are failing to take into account the huge numbers of impatient @$?! drivers who jump out, fly past as many cars as they can, then expect someone to slam on their brakes to let them in (without using a turn signal...another pet peave of mine, but I digress...)

Oooh, that’s a ban I can get on board with.

As for the rest, I’m doing my part to educate others on the efficiency of using all available driving space. There is no need for brake - slamming if drivers in both lanes are aware of the proper way to do it. This is my goal.

• Like 6

The sound the credit card machine makes when you use the chip reader.  It sounds like your card is being rejected but it's accepted.  I hate that noise.

Yes. I hate those things. And the way they're all "don't take it out don't take it out don't take it out TAKE IT OUT NOW!!!!"

• Like 14

Styrofoam packing peanuts. Hate 'em.

Advertising on anything that's already paid for by a customer (in a magazine that's not free, on TV/radio/streaming/whatever service that costs money, thrown in with a product I've bought...). One or the other, people.

• Like 2

Essential oils

Scented candles

Scary commercials during non scary shows (or all commercials!)

People that can't make plans

Fake service animals

Graffiti, especially in nature

Word. That is a thread in itself.

• Like 11

Right up there with WHITE baseball uniforms. Clearly designed by people who don't understand that "Slide!" is incompatable with white clothing.

This is one of the many uses of Simple Green.

I would ban:

Firearms (for personal or law enforcement use without a warrant)

Drones (at least in airspace above private property.)

Asking me what is for dinner. My husband has been the one to cook dinner for like eight years now, 95% of the time. 

Suburbs. Towns and cities should have higher population density and less lawn.

Individually owned motor vehicles unless there is documented necessity. You live fifty miles from the nearest town, for instance. Roads should be reduced in favor of good public transit so that people are not economically dependent on cars.

Sports in schools. City recreation programs could be expanded to give low-income youth opportunities to play sports. School should be for learning, not football.

Kids selling stuff for fundraisers. I don't care if it's scouts or band or the PTA--don't make kids have to pressure their friends and loved ones to buy stuff.

Limited data plans for smart phones. Affordable public wifi should be a thing, too. Internet should be regulated like a utility.

Coal fired power plants. 

Off-roading with gas powered vehicles of any kind.

election campaigns more than 3 months before the election.

Finally, I would ban  gas powered leaf/snow blowers. Those things stink and that's what a rake/shovel is for!

• Like 6

I would love to ban the cinnamon pine cones that stores sell from now till after Christmas.  They set off my asthma and are so irritating to the airways of many people. 

They are Everywhere here for months of the year, so I guess they are very, very popular. I hate going grocery shopping for the months of Nov and December every year because of them. 

• Like 3

Ooh! Ooh! I thought if another very important one: On-hold muzak, especially the ones with really short repeating loops, and the accompanying, annoying "please continue to hold" messages! If you're going to keep me on hold for the better part of an hour, please, for the love of sanity, at least let me listen to an uninterrupted Sibelius symphony, or some nice Tallis choral works!

• Like 11

Oooh, that’s a ban I can get on board with.

As for the rest, I’m doing my part to educate others on the efficiency of using all available driving space. There is no need for brake - slamming if drivers in both lanes are aware of the proper way to do it. This is my goal.

Keep at it.  I get so annoyed with people who don't zipper merge and then get mad at those of us who do it correctly!

I want the ban on drivers (often truck drivers) who slow down the "fast" lane before a merge somehow thinking it helps "keep things fair" I suppose.  It slows everyone down and just creates the correct zipper merge behind them - let the zipper merge happen where it should and speed things up for everyone!  I wish we could get the police out there to give them tickets for slowing down the traffic... but a ban on them would work too.

• Like 5

Exactly! On paper it makes perfect sense. And during the day when traffic is flowing it works great. But when some impatient a-hole purposely gets into the lane just to jump around everyone and cut someone off, causing breaks to slam its just a douche move I can't get on board with regardless of whether its allowed.

I just wish there were more considerate drivers!

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 3

No and it was gruesome. ☹ï¸â˜¹ï¸â˜¹ï¸

How horrible.  :crying:

I am looking forward to this:

And the wolf will dwell with the lamb,

And the leopard will lie down with the young goat,

And the calf and the young lion and the fatling together;

And a little boy will lead them.

Also the cow and the bear will graze,

Their young will lie down together,

And the lion will eat straw like the ox.

The nursing child will play by the hole of the cobra,

And the weaned child will put his hand on the viper’s den. 

They will not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain,

For the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord

As the waters cover the sea. Isaiah 11:6-69

• Like 7

Snakes like to hide in the fallen leaves in my yard. What if there was a copperhead nest?

Birds of prey like to eat snakes too. Banning certain creatures would not be good.

Sorry about anyone's kitten or small dog being taken up by a bird.

Back to banning!

Wearing socks in the summer unless you are hiking, cold, or have no shoes, is banned.

Fragrances in enclosed places, banned!

Essential oils comments can't be banned, freedom of speech.

I highly recommend a good read, The Wonderful O, by James Thurber

https://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-York-Review-Childrens-Collection/dp/1590173090   that shows what happens when certain things about our language are banned.

The sound the credit card machine makes when you use the chip reader. It sounds like your card is being rejected but it's accepted. I hate that noise.

I hate that the chip reader tells me DO NOT REMOVE CARD...DO NOT REMOVE CARD...then all of a sudden beeps loudly at me and wants me to remove the card NOW. I would ban bossy and impatient machines.

• Like 13

Exactly! On paper it makes perfect sense. And during the day when traffic is flowing it works great. But when some impatient a-hole purposely gets into the lane just to jump around everyone and cut someone off, causing breaks to slam its just a douche move I can't get on board with regardless of whether its allowed.

I just wish there were more considerate drivers!

If both lanes are full, as they should be, there would be no place to “jump around everyoneâ€. That’s the point.

• Like 2

Yes this. Wrong. They are just wrong.

Douche commercials. Wrong. Banned. The end.

But if douche commercials were banned my mother and I would never get to walk on the beach and then I will turn to her and ask "mom, do you ever feel not fresh" we had years of laughter from that massengil commercial. Or was it summers eve.

Totally on board with banning ed commercials.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 6

I would ban drivers from waiting until the lane completely ends to merge in with traffic and cutting off others who have been waiting in the line of traffic. Which would ban three quarters of the drivers in my town....

You're supposed to do it that way. It's more efficient, and it means everybody gets where they're going faster.

• Like 2

Beginning Christmas music 24/7 on the radio prior to Thanksgiving.

I would ban my sons from asking "What's for dinner?" the minute I walk through the door. They are bottomless pits and never gain weight. Apparently food goes through them and never sticks to their ribs.

Perfume next to me, as in the woman last Friday night at the DSO who had apparently rolled in square footage of perfume before coming to the concert. I would make it legal to power wash such perfume users right there on the spot. I would broadcast, "A little goes a long way" on the radio and tv, put it on billboards. And then I would ban perfume from sitting next to me at concerts!

Leaf raking. Just let it die folks. No one needs grass. Lawns don't sequester much CO2, and are unnecessary. If they die from the leaves, LET IT GO! And if you are a raker, do not give me a dirty look for being a non-raker.

Commercials. No more commercials. They are annoying.

So yes, in my world I would use the executive pen to outlaw perfume near me, leaf raking, and commercials plus the dreaded two months of Christmas music following Halloween in which I only get one day of "Monster Mash" which is such a pity. 

:iagree: ALL of these!

Also people not using their turn signals, I mean how difficult is it to flick a little switch people?

• Like 1

â˜¹ï¸ I’m sorry. I really do hate them, though. I have a chihuahua. And I’ve watched a kitten get attacked.

There are lots of predators that would (and do) love to eat kittens. We don't let them outside until they are larger and more aware for just that reason.

• Like 1