Menu

Anybody in south Texas

emzhengjiu

Wow. I just read where officials are telling people who aren't evacuating to write their name and social security number on their arm with Sharpie.

I'm thinking that might actually be a better way of convincing people to evacuate than to just say "there's a big hurricane, you should evaluate, if you don't you could die". Because it makes you actually visualize yourself as a corpse that's being identified by that stuff you wrote on your arm. 

• Like 10

I'm thinking that might actually be a better way of convincing people to evacuate than to just say "there's a big hurricane, you should evaluate, if you don't you could die". Because it makes you actually visualize yourself as a corpse that's being identified by that stuff you wrote on your arm. 

Yes, I think so, too.  When I first posted it, though, I wasn't thinking about people dying.  I was thinking of the many people who were confused and separated from their families after Katrina.  It seems like a smart thing to do for children, especially, to help identify and reunite them.  

• Like 4

Stay safe. Thinking of you all.

Wow. I just read where officials are telling people who aren't evacuating to write their name and social security number on their arm with Sharpie.

Some variation of that is common when people refuse to evacuate. In my area they ask that you give emergency personnel the name of your next of kin.

• Like 1

I'm so sad, watching Rockport be torn apart.  We were there for 4 days two summers ago and really loved that town.  Though we might retire there when older; wonder if that idea does not have so much appeal now!

I'm in the Austin area now. I expect some of the evacuees may now see themselves being away long enough they will put their kids in local schools. (School starts Monday and in some cities has already started)

That's standard for more than minor hurricanes along NC's Outer Banks. I think they do it for practical reasons (ID if necessary, as stated) but also as a way to indirectly encourage people to take it seriously and evacuate.

• Like 2

:grouphug: to everyone who has a place in the path (or relatives, etc). I hope things go better than forecasted, but... sigh.  :grouphug:

I think those who refuse to evacuate for big storms, esp in critical areas, should be forced to read the names and bios of those who didn't make it in previous storms.  Too many times all they hear about are stories from survivors and that's like hearing the lottery winner's tale instead of all of those who lost.  Everyone assumes they will be the winner.  They can't see themselves as the losers.

• Like 3

I tried to get news this morning. Sounds like there was a lot of damage and definitely there are some known injured people. No report of deaths on what I heard--but some on people who could not leave due to not being able to drive, etc., which sounded like there could be deaths confirmed once it settles enough to be able to look. Rain and likely flooding continuing. Winds are not as strong as before but sounded like still very high.

Has anyone heard anything about whether the nuclear reactors had any problem?

• Like 1

Everyone assumes they will be the winner.  They can't see themselves as the losers.

My brother was always the type to insist he would stay and protect his home both from the hurricane and the looters who come after the storm. He's in construction by trade and went to Miami to work after Hurricane Andrew. Even the workers like him had to stay in tent cities because there was literally nothing left. After what he saw he came back and said if he's ever in an evacuation zone he would leave if the order was given. When Matthew came through last year it was the first time he had a chance to put that to the test. He lives on the beach and they were told to evacuate. He and sil left one of their vehicles and their safe of important papers with us and went further inland to Orlando (yes, we offered for them to with us but he felt their pets wouldn't mix well with ours). 

Sometimes you have to experience the damage yourself to realize your mistake. Sometimes, as was the case with my brother, you just have to see what it did to others.

• Like 7

and the looters who come after the storm. 

If it's a sin to hope the looters are among the deceased, then I'm definitely a sinner.

For me though (as with your brother), no "thing" is worth risking my life.

My oldest son was just under 4 months old when Hurricane Andrew hit and we lived in FL at the time.  We weren't that far south, but the message was quite clear.

• Like 2

I'm so sad, watching Rockport be torn apart.  We were there for 4 days two summers ago and really loved that town.  Though we might retire there when older; wonder if that idea does not have so much appeal now!

I'm in the Austin area now. I expect some of the evacuees may now see themselves being away long enough they will put their kids in local schools. (School starts Monday and in some cities has already started)

I grew up in Rockport and we just went back this summer, for the first time in a decade.

• Like 1

We were supposed to attend a funeral in Houston Sunday. I'm surprised the funeral hasn't been delayed due to the storm and because it hasn't my mil is calling my husband to say how he really needs to be there. How it's hardly even raining right now. Ugh. No amount of telling her that this is just the very start of the storm hitting that area so far and that by nightfall she could be without electricity and landlocked due to flooding is convincing enough. The news is all an exaggeration she says it's no big deal in Houston. She says all this on the phone while she is shopping for new curtains and rods for grandma's living room at a Lowes somewhere there. Dh has tried saying if they stay, they need to leave asap after the funeral. But she just keeps saying that if he leaves Oklahoma now, he can be there by 2pm. Um. No. Hells no. Sorry dear dead relative. But no.

• Like 4

I moved away when I was 10; it is the same high school building, though.  We actually lived most of the time across Copano Bay in a little community called Holiday Beach; I doubt much of it is left now. They were small wood houses, and it was very flat.  I can't believe we went to visit this summer on a lark; the town will never again look like it did before the hurricane, even once they rebuild it.

• Like 1

We were supposed to attend a funeral in Houston Sunday. I'm surprised the funeral hasn't been delayed due to the storm and because it hasn't my mil is calling my husband to say how he really needs to be there. How it's hardly even raining right now. Ugh. No amount of telling her that this is just the very start of the storm hitting that area so far and that by nightfall she could be without electricity and landlocked due to flooding is convincing enough. The news is all an exaggeration she says it's no big deal in Houston. She says all this on the phone while she is shopping for new curtains and rods for grandma's living room at a Lowes somewhere there. Dh has tried saying if they stay, they need to leave asap after the funeral. But she just keeps saying that if he leaves Oklahoma now, he can be there by 2pm. Um. No. Hells no. Sorry dear dead relative. But no.

Does she not see they have called off school for Monday (and I think through Wednesday)?

That is nuts.  We are in San Antonio.  It was drizzly rain earlier, nothing now.  Winds were hitting 25mph.  News was saying they could hit 70mph later today.  The wind will be a problem when it takes out power lines.  The water will be a problem when the underpasses all flood because there is no where for the water to go.  Plus there is all the  little creeks that flood with all the run off that run over roads.  There is a reason those signs are on the side of the road with the numbers on them.  It tells you how many feet deep the water is. 

But the stupid thing with your MIL is that the storm is suppose to travel back downward toward the coast before it slingshots right up toward Houston tonight/tomorrow.  Which actually is really surprising the funeral has not been postponed.  Even if they don't have damage, they are going to have roadway flooding.

As for the writing your info on you with sharpie --  I remember way back when the Mississippi River flooded so severely back in the late 80's or so seeing an interview about how these people were rescued off their roofs by boat.  But the first boat couldn't hold them all so they took all the little kids first.  So these parents had to watch a boat drive off with their kids while they waited for the next boat.  When the parents got picked up, they got dropped off at a different area from the kids and it took a long time to find the kids because they were so little and scared and couldn't tell their names. 

I remember thinking that day, if I ever have kids and are in any situation like that, they are getting Sharpied!   Name on their arm, important info, including my mom's name and phone number on their back (we never live near her, so odds are good if our area is under weather, hers is not).  And I've thought it every time there is something like this.  It was part of our Typoon/evacuation prep when we lived on Okinawa and he was already 5/6.  But kids get scared. 

So I get the Mayor or whoever saying write your name on there both as a scare tactic as well a help for them to id your body.  But it is a good idea for kids, special needs adults and easily confused elderly.  

• Like 1

This is standard.  It's both to try to get people to evacuate by letting them know the seriousness of the situation plus to aid in identifying victims.

It's raining here in far north San Antonio and has been, steadily, since I woke up a little before 7.  Winds got up to 28mph for a bit, but it's down to 24mph now.  We're supposed to get rain for a few days, but the track of the (now) tropical storm shows it turning sooner than they previously expected (since it's slowed down crawling at 2mph) so it won't be as bad here as they thought, though flooding will likely happen particularly near the rivers.

Hearing how the coast is faring makes me so sad.

• Like 1

This is standard.  It's both to try to get people to evacuate by letting them know the seriousness of the situation plus to aid in identifying victims.

It's raining here in far north San Antonio and has been, steadily, since I woke up a little before 7.  Winds got up to 28mph for a bit, but it's down to 24mph now.  We're supposed to get rain for a few days, but the track of the (now) tropical storm shows it turning sooner than they previously expected (since it's slowed down crawling at 2mph) so it won't be as bad here as they thought, though flooding will likely happen particularly near the rivers.

Hearing how the coast is faring makes me so sad.

Standard where? I have never heard of this and I've been through a few hurricanes.

Hm. I must have missed that. We did evacuate for Katrina.

I think it was said during Katrina (just like this time) well after people who were going to leave evacuated.  It was hearing people say to write their info on their arm with a sharpie during a hurricane that hit MD several years ago (we were not in the evacuation area) that gave us the idea to write our kids' info on them when we went to marches and stuff in DC.

• Like 1

That's standard for more than minor hurricanes along NC's Outer Banks. I think they do it for practical reasons (ID if necessary, as stated) but also as a way to indirectly encourage people to take it seriously and evacuate.

yes. In the gulf south I've heard it many times over the years. People who refuse to evacuate don't always consider that their need to be rescued puts first responders in danger. That's one reason officials get testy about it.

• Like 4

If it's a sin to hope the looters are among the deceased, then I'm definitely a sinner.

For me though (as with your brother), no "thing" is worth risking my life.

My oldest son was just under 4 months old when Hurricane Andrew hit and we lived in FL at the time. We weren't that far south, but the message was quite clear.

I have vivid memories of cleaning up after Andrew. What a mess.

• Like 1

Hey since many in this thread are experienced with hurricanes (and possibly other natural disasters), can I ask you a question?

What do you think about this popular sort of design that seems to be everywhere these days?

Like this?

http://www.anvilnorthwest.com/product/anvil-x-tee/

I don't consider myself to be easily triggered by things, but I cannot see a shirt or bumper sticker with this design and not think about what my old neighborhood looked like after Katrina.

https://southernspaces.org/2010/katrina-5-x-code-exhibition

I just keep thinking the folks who design these shirts have never experienced mass search and rescue events.

Whew, I've had enough of hurricanes to last a lifetime. 

When I was a child, we lived through Hurricane Fifi which did a "Katrina" to parts of Honduras, but with additional tens of thousands dead from entire mountainsides slipping into the valleys. What a horrific way to die.

When I was a young mother, we narrowly escaped Andrew, having sold our house and moved 6 months prior.  Close family and scads of friends lived through it, and our house weathered it well. My parents (next door to our former house) lost an avocado tree, but their house, too, came through mostly untouched.  Mom said the neighborhoods surrounding our part of town were as alien as a moonscape.  There were no signs left standing making navigation difficult, and most landmarks were obliterated. 

Some years later, I was in Miami with Mom while Dad had open heart surgery (9 days in the ICU); that's when Katrina hit.  It was horrible, having so many hours with that in your face.  Hospitals have TVs everywhere, and it hit at an already harrowing time for us.  When I got home, my church was housing 250 people in our gym, and it was "all hands on deck" to care for the refugees, many of whom stayed in our area.  The last families were relocated about 6 months later.  It was amazing to get to know and love some of those folks. 

Sigh.  I love Rockport and am sad to see the extensive damage. 

• Like 1

Standard where? I have never heard of this and I've been through a few hurricanes.

They said it during Katrina. I remember officials in MD saying it when we got hurricanes there, too.

I've heard it before. I think it was Ivan in 2004 (which was the only one of 4 Florida hurricanes that season that didn't come through our area). Edited by Lady Florida.

Hey since many in this thread are experienced with hurricanes (and possibly other natural disasters), can I ask you a question?

What do you think about this popular sort of design that seems to be everywhere these days?

Like this?

http://www.anvilnorthwest.com/product/anvil-x-tee/

I don't consider myself to be easily triggered by things, but I cannot see a shirt or bumper sticker with this design and not think about what my old neighborhood looked like after Katrina.

https://southernspaces.org/2010/katrina-5-x-code-exhibition

I just keep thinking the folks who design these shirts have never experienced mass search and rescue events.

Even after reading the second article, I cannot see what is wrong with the shirt? It looks nothing like the search and rescue detail. The A stands for anvil and the N W for northwest. The brand name evidently

• Like 1

Even after reading the second article, I cannot see what is wrong with the shirt? It looks nothing like the search and rescue detail. The A stands for anvil and the N W for northwest. The brand name evidently

It's not in the details - it's in the general first impression of the X with characters in the quadrants. I know it's not exactly the same, but it always make me think of those markings.

Is your MIL okay? Houston looks really bad, and there's more rain coming.

Edited by Vintage81

I am in northwest Houston. Thankfully, we haven't lost power or water. The roads are flooded everywhere but our neighborhood is dry. Church was canceled this morning. The rain is mostly a constant heavy "Scottish" drizzle interspersed with a few hard rains. Last night was loud about 2am. It woke up my dh but all the kids and I slept through it. So far, we've had about 12 inches of rain in 24 hours. The overall projection was for that much total from the storm. As for the storm bouncing back to the Gulf then right up I45, from what I am hearing that is too unpredictable right now. I'm praying it doesn't happen.

My sister and her family live a bit north of us. From the numbers, it seems they are getting more rain than us.

My aunt and uncle live much more south. Dh talked with them this morning. They aren't flooded yet but it is becoming a high possibility because there is no where for the water to go.

Yesterday was just a typical rainy day. I went to a friend's baby shower no problem. It was overnight when it really hit us.

The funeral was canceled about an hour ago due to street flooding issues. Rescheduled TBD.

MIL is still complaining, so she's fine. ðŸ˜

So with all the rain, didn't they think the coffin might just float away???😜

I am in northwest Houston. Thankfully, we haven't lost power or water. The roads are flooded everywhere but our neighborhood is dry. Church was canceled this morning. The rain is mostly a constant heavy "Scottish" drizzle interspersed with a few hard rains. Last night was loud about 2am. It woke up my dh but all the kids and I slept through it. So far, we've had about 12 inches of rain in 24 hours. The overall projection was for that much total from the storm. As for the storm bouncing back to the Gulf then right up I45, from what I am hearing that is too unpredictable right now. I'm praying it doesn't happen.

My sister and her family live a bit north of us. From the numbers, it seems they are getting more rain than us.

My aunt and uncle live much more south. Dh talked with them this morning. They aren't flooded yet but it is becoming a high possibility because there is no where for the water to go.

Yesterday was just a typical rainy day. I went to a friend's baby shower no problem. It was overnight when it really hit us.

It sounds like it might get much worse. Stay safe!

We've gotten over thirteen inches of rain at this point and the rain isn't supposed to stop until Wednesday at the earliest. A couple of tornado warnings last night, but they didn't touch down in our town, but the town north of us. Our ditches are full, but nothing is creeping toward the house yet.

Our biggest threat at this point is the river flooding. Normally our house is 6 blocks from the river, but with the projected river rise, it should flood to within a block or two of our house. Of course, it floods more than the projection things could get bad for us. 

Prayers and good thoughts are appreciated for those of us here in the Houston area. There are a lot of people who are losing everything.

• Like 2