Menu

Q for North Americans

Rosie_0801

291 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find British spelling off-putting?

• Yes, to the point I wouldn't buy.
    • A bit, but it wouldn't stop me buying.
    • No. I'm not going to miss out on the cool things!
    • In some situations yes, in some no.

I think she meant that Canadians are inconsistent with their use of spelling, in the same way they are inconsistent with measurement systems.  You see a lot both or British and American spelling, a lot of imperial and metric.

Now, with spell check and auto correct seeming to default on American spelling, I can see the younger generation using non-Canadian spellings more. I always use the Canadian spelling and ignore the spell check. I like to be consistent in spelling.

As far as measurement goes, they'll mix in some Imperial measurements in England, too. I can never figure out how much a person weighs when they use stones. According to my computer, I weight 9 stone. That sounds like a cat's weight.   :laugh:

And if we really want to confuse people, then ask what the time is to a Quebecer. They'll say it using the 24-hour clock. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Are you aware that Canadians use British spelling 100% and are taught it in schools? Your poll name and questions don't take this into account.  I find American spelling weird. I like my "u" in colour, etc., and the French-looking theatre and centre.  :laugh:

that was one of the first things about british english that caught my eye.  I always wondered why they used "re" when they were pronouncing it "er".   I just started doing duolingo french.  and one of the first things I noticed was that "re".   then it all finally made sense.  british aristocracy spoke french as their primary language for several centuries after the norman invasion.

Edited by gardenmom5

Not off-putting, but depending on the age / reading level of the reader, unfamiliar vocab and spellings can take away from the story.

Even at 10yo my kids don't understand everything in British lit.  I stop and fill them in as we go.  They need to learn it eventually.

Some British-isms are more confusing than just adding a "u" to a word also.

Calling Cookies "Biscuits" would definitely lead to leaving a wrong idea without more context to let people realize it is sweet. And I didn't realize that British "tea" tasted a lot like juice until I actually got to taste some at our VBS last week! Makes a lot more sense why kids drink it with their biscuits.

Then there is putting your luggage in the boot of the car and watching the lorry pick up the dustbin.  etc.  the added 'u' s dont take me out of the book. But you put enough unfamiliar words in there (or familiar words that mean different things) and it does impede on the escapism of the book.

• Like 1

And I didn't realize that British "tea" tasted a lot like juice until I actually got to taste some at our VBS last week! Makes a lot more sense why kids drink it with their biscuits.

I don't really understand. Do you mean (hot) tea with milk and sugar?

• Like 4

The "cool things" being some product or other that you were considering. "Well now, I am not going to buy one of those wonderful looking Mobilisers because it ought to be spelled Mobilizer!" 

A country that tolerates spellings like Krispy Kreme and drive thru ought not to act picky IMO. I notice non-US spellings, but I don't have a problem with them.

• Like 10

Calling Cookies "Biscuits" would definitely lead to leaving a wrong idea without more context to let people realize it is sweet. And I didn't realize that British "tea" tasted a lot like juice until I actually got to taste some at our VBS last week! Makes a lot more sense why kids drink it with their biscuits.

Then there is putting your luggage in the boot of the car and watching the lorry pick up the dustbin.  etc.  the added 'u' s dont take me out of the book. But you put enough unfamiliar words in there (or familiar words that mean different things) and it does impede on the escapism of the book.

I recall watching british comedies in the 70s - and referring to young single women as "birds".  (dd took a history of english class - and the words that scared her were the ones that looked familiar - but meant something completely different.  i.e.bird.  a bird was a single young woman - eventually with the vowel shift/consonant changes that came (don't remember which year, but it was sudden and across the board)  -it changed to "bride".

I don't know about British tea tasting like juice?

What's a "North American"?

(I went on a school field trip to the UK for a few days once when I was 12, iirc... I've lived in North America for 12.5 years now. I have not been to other English-speaking places. I suspect I'm not supposed to answer the poll.)

I don't care about the spelling for most things. I can never remember how you're supposed to spell grey/gray around here, and if you search through my past posts, I'm sure I've happily gone back and forth in the spelling of that color within the same post. I can remember the spelling for most other things though. Wrt book buying, I purposely bought the Pocket Oxford American dictionary and thesaurus for my then-4th grader half a year ago, because it didn't seem like a great idea to tell a kid to look up the spelling of a word in the dictionary and then have him find the 'wrong' spelling. I don't care if he occasionally reads a book in British English, but he is still learning how to spell, so throwing too much British English spelling at him doesn't necessarily seem like a great idea. I don't get changing Philosopher's Stone into Sorcerer's Stone... I mean, WHY??? 

OTOH, I just bought the Oxford Atlas of the World which I think might be in British English. And we watch a fair number of British TV shows, for many reasons, but one of the reasons is so the kids can learn to understand different accents and vocabulary. 

Anyway, all that is to say that *I* am more likely to buy books with American spelling for the elementary-aged set, but don't care for the grown-up set (not sure about secondary school-age... I'd imagine I wouldn't care for high school).

• Like 1

I love British spelling. I used to use the British spelling instead of American until a high school teacher gave an F on an English paper for misspelled words. He reminded me I live in the US.

Linda

My oldest son used a lot of British literature for copywork/dictation. My main concern was that he would get marked down for spelling in school but I just showed him the difference and he does ok with both. I'm not sure I want to try that with my son who is dyslexic though.

What's a "North American"?

(I went on a school field trip to the UK for a few days once when I was 12, iirc... I've lived in North America for 12.5 years now. I have not been to other English-speaking places. I suspect I'm not supposed to answer the poll.)

I don't care about the spelling for most things. I can never remember how you're supposed to spell grey/gray around here, and if you search through my past posts, I'm sure I've happily gone back and forth in the spelling of that color within the same post. I can remember the spelling for most other things though. Wrt book buying, I purposely bought the Pocket Oxford American dictionary and thesaurus for my then-4th grader half a year ago, because it didn't seem like a great idea to tell a kid to look up the spelling of a word in the dictionary and then have him find the 'wrong' spelling. I don't care if he occasionally reads a book in British English, but he is still learning how to spell, so throwing too much British English spelling at him doesn't necessarily seem like a great idea. I don't get changing Philosopher's Stone into Sorcerer's Stone... I mean, WHY??? 

OTOH, I just bought the Oxford Atlas of the World which I think might be in British English. And we watch a fair number of British TV shows, for many reasons, but one of the reasons is so the kids can learn to understand different accents and vocabulary. 

Anyway, all that is to say that *I* am more likely to buy books with American spelling for the elementary-aged set, but don't care for the grown-up set (not sure about secondary school-age... I'd imagine I wouldn't care for high school).

I read some UK papers - and the number of times they refer to canadians as americans, tends to tick off the canadians.   and they have to be reminded mexico is also in north america . . .

and the grey/gray thing . . . . in high school I had been reading so many british novels - I was spelling it "grey" . . I got docked by my teacher.

I love British spelling. I used to use the British spelling instead of American until a high school teacher gave an F on an English paper for misspelled words. He reminded me I live in the US. 

My English Comp II teacher (I tested out of Comp I) in university had the same issue with my spelling... except I'd been in the US for less than a year. I thought it was a little unfair and nitpicky. Actually still do.  

ETA: Some of the colleges/universities I've attended had special English Comp I & II classes for ESL that fulfilled the requirements for Engl Comp I & II. My English was obviously way too good to be in one of those special classes, but at the same time, knocking points off for spelling that's not universally wrong? 

Edited by luuknam

We use many British resources.  Different spellings, pronunciations, and vocabularies don't bother us.  What is annoying is publishers deciding that a U.S. edition is necessary and then only publishing part of the series in the U.S.    I am very thankful for Book Depository.  

I read some UK papers - and the number of times they refer to canadians as americans, tends to tick off the canadians.   and they have to be reminded mexico is also in north america . . .

With good reason, I'd say. That's pathetic, actually. I've never heard a Brit refer to Canadians as Americans, but then again these are the ones living in Canada so they don't make that mistake.  

I have to remind myself that Mexico is part of North America, to be honest. It's so far south, Spanish speaking, and just seems to blend more with Central America in my mind. 

• Like 2

I'm Canadian, living in the US so it doesn't bother me. :)

I use both Canadian/British and American spelling very inconsistently. Two words in the same sentence will have two different "country backgrounds".

DS was laughing at "cheques" being spelled "wrong" on a sign in an office in the US the other day, though.

• Like 1

With good reason, I'd say. That's pathetic, actually. I've never heard a Brit refer to Canadians as Americans, but then again these are the ones living in Canada so they don't make that mistake.

I have to remind myself that Mexico is part of North America, to be honest. It's so far south, Spanish speaking, and just seems to blend more with Central America in my mind.

I don't remember seeing Canadians referred to as Americans but I'm sure it has happened. I know, however that some Americans, including publications, refer to Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people as English. Not tactful.

• Like 2

I'm Canadian, living in the US so it doesn't bother me. :)

I use both Canadian/British and American spelling very inconsistently. Two words in the same sentence will have two different "country backgrounds".

DS was laughing at "cheques" being spelled "wrong" on a sign in an office in the US the other day, though.

I try to be consistent, but it's a challenge because there is so much American spelling all around. I have to think hard about the correct spelling for racquet sometimes. 

• Like 1

I don't remember seeing Canadians referred to as Americans but I'm sure it has happened. I know, however that some Americans, including publications, refer to Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish people as English. Not tactful.

It would make things a little easier if it wasn't quite so complicated exactly who is included in the terms United Kingdom and Great Britain. I'm sure there is some fluctuating terminology over the years, too.

In Canada, the most recent politically correct term is 'indigenous people,' having changed from Indian, to Native, to Aboriginal, with First Nations and Inuit Peoples in there, but not the same, as well. 

• Like 1

I recall watching british comedies in the 70s - and referring to young single women as "birds".  (dd took a history of english class - and the words that scared her were the ones that looked familiar - but meant something completely different.  i.e.bird.  a bird was a single young woman - eventually with the vowel shift/consonant changes that came (don't remember which year, but it was sudden and across the board)  -it changed to "bride".

My cousins were talking about the recent visit they had with their British cousins (no relations of mine).   The boys were up in the bedrooms playing.  One of the British boys came down all upset saying "he said bugger".   The American boys, being boys of that age, were discussing buggers, as in snot.   The British boy thought that they were slightly mispronouncing the sexual reference.  

• Like 2

My cousins were talking about the recent visit they had with their British cousins (no relations of mine).   The boys were up in the bedrooms playing.  One of the British boys came down all upset saying "he said bugger".   The American boys, being boys of that age, were discussing buggers, as in snot.   The British boy thought that they were slightly mispronouncing the sexual reference.  

well- hope the brits don't read orson scott card's ender's game series.  there are lots of "buggers".

where we are, snot has always been referred to as "boogers".

if you want to get technical - central america is not a continent - and is part of the north american continent.

and these are brits in the UK. 

if you want to get technical - central america is not a continent - and is part of the north american continent.

Right... I thought that if you divide in 3, Mexico tends to go with Central, but if you divide in 2, it definitely goes in North. 

• Like 1

And then there is the confusion on spelling tests.

But if we're talking about grown-up reading, no problem.

I also don't mind if they change it to suit Americans.  Not worth getting fussy about.  After all, the North American market is pretty large.  If it sells a % more books, it's worth doing it.

The only English books available to me to buy growing up were published by British publishers with (obviously) British spelling.  It did confuse me for years on spelling because at school I had access to American English books with (obviously) American spelling.  Neither bothered me when reading.  But I couldn't see why the teacher wouldn't just accept either spelling on a spelling test but sadly they weren't as open minded. 

I also learned two different ways to refer to some of the same objects:  lorry vs. truck for instance.  My understanding is that the word truck is used in Britain as well but for specific vehicles that we would classify as flat-bed trailers.  (Someone correct me if I have this wrong.) 

edited for clarity

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

Some of this is interesting to me.  I'm an American, but didn't realise I use British spellings.  In 5th grade, we were taught we 'check' our papers and write a 'cheque'.  A movie theater is different than a theatre, where you see plays.  Bugger is often paired with 'off', to tell someone to scram, and a booger comes out of your nose.  'Capital' can be amazing or large, but 'capitol' is a place of government.

• Like 2

Colour v colour, -ise v -ize, etc. 

Btw, grey looks classier than gray.  :001_tt2:

I have no problem with those examples, but there are things like Americans call the part of the car body that goes on top of the engine the "Hood", and the  British call it a "Bonnet" as I understand.  

http://grammarist.com/interesting-words/car-hood-and-car-bonnet/

Spelling the same word differently, I am used to, but using a word that is totally different, is hard to remember.

What color is it?   Is it gray or grey?  Gray in the USA.

Right... I thought that if you divide in 3, Mexico tends to go with Central, but if you divide in 2, it definitely goes in North. 

if you divide by official continents - you have north america and south america -  panama is the demarcation line between the continents.  (furthest south North American country).   

if you want to divide north america into two - you have spanish speaking, and english speaking.    or four - and you have Canada, US, Mexico, and central America.

It depends.

My sister sent me some books from the UK (she lives there). The word that really throws me off is "mummy." I think of Halloween! Our word is "mommy" which sounds totally different, not just a spelling thing. Well one of the books she sent is Monkey Puzzle (which in the US is titled Where's my Mom?).

I don't mind the spelling of "grey" lol.

Are you aware that Canadians use British spelling 100% and are taught it in schools? Your poll name and questions don't take this into account. I find American spelling weird. I like my "u" in colour, etc., and the French-looking theatre and centre. :laugh:

Rosie est Australienne.

• Like 1

It would make things a little easier if it wasn't quite so complicated exactly who is included in the terms United Kingdom and Great Britain. I'm sure there is some fluctuating terminology over the years, too.

In Canada, the most recent politically correct term is 'indigenous people,' having changed from Indian, to Native, to Aboriginal, with First Nations and Inuit Peoples in there, but not the same, as well. 

I don't think that the terms have changed much in my lifetime, but people (particularly English people) have finally become more aware of the sensitivities.

It is complicated, but the clue is in the name of the country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.  UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  All of us are UK citizens.  'British' is often used to include Northern Irish people (as there is no UK-ish terminology) but I try to avoid it.  In general, call a Scot Scottish (Scotch is usually a drink), a Welshman Welsh, a Northern Irish person Northern Irish and an English person English.  This won't cover all issues (particularly in Northern Ireland) but it will look like a good attempt.

The biggest anomaly is that the UK Olympic team is called Team GB for reasons of history.

• Like 3

I also learned two different ways to refer to some of the same objects:  lorry vs. truck for instance.  My understanding is that the word truck is used in Britain as well but for specific vehicles that we would classify as flat-bed trailers.  (Someone correct me if I have this wrong.) 

edited for clarity

I don't think it's that clear cut.  They were all lorries when I was a child, but the US word 'truck' has moved in and is used interchangeably, as far as I can see.  My favourite word is 'juggernaut' which is the standard word for an eighteen-wheeler.

• Like 3

I don't think that the terms have changed much in my lifetime, but people (particularly English people) have finally become more aware of the sensitivities.

It is complicated, but the clue is in the name of the country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

So Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales.  UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  All of us are UK citizens.  'British' is often used to include Northern Irish people (as there is no UK-ish terminology) but I try to avoid it.  In general, call a Scot Scottish (Scotch is usually a drink), a Welshman Welsh, a Northern Irish person Northern Irish and an English person English.  This won't cover all issues (particularly in Northern Ireland) but it will look like a good attempt.

The biggest anomaly is that the UK Olympic team is called Team GB for reasons of history.

I just know I'll meet eventually someone from on of the many islands and insult them, though. Is someone from Jersey a Brit? Guernsey is not. What about the Isle of Man or the Shetland Islands?  It can easily get really confusing, you see? ;)

It seems as if tv and social media are making the English language in different areas less strange and people are exchanging words and phrases.

I was just in Australia visiting dh's family and for the first time at a restaurant I heard other people asking for napkins instead of serviettes.  That's a change from several years ago from our experience at least in his region.

In our own family there have occasionally been mix  ups and perhaps readers may be confused as well, if they haven't been exposed to certain words through reading, movies or travel.

My 2nd child went through a spell of literally washing his hands in the potty.  We finally figured it out when dh asked him to go wash his hands in the toilet and he complied!  So, dh did change to mostly saying bathroom since that's what our kid was hearing at preschool.

However, it doesn't bother me at all what sort of spelling is used.  There are 2 words that caused me brief confusion initially and one is gaol/jail and the other is kerb/curb.  

• Like 2

I just know I'll meet eventually someone from on of the many islands and insult them, though. Is someone from Jersey a Brit? Guernsey is not. What about the Isle of Man or the Shetland Islands? It can easily get really confusing, you see? ;)

The more specific you are, the more likely likely to be correct. However, all the Scottish islands, including Orkney and Shetland are part of Scotland and therefore Britain and the UK.

Guernsey, Jersey, Man, Alderney and Sark are British Isles but separately administered, so not Britain. History, history. To be honest, I've never met anyone from any of those. Perhaps they are more like Guam? I don't know though. Here's Guernsey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey

Edited by Laura Corin

Oh yeah. That's not complicated at all! :D

Edited by KathyBC

It depends.

My sister sent me some books from the UK (she lives there). The word that really throws me off is "mummy." I think of Halloween! Our word is "mommy" which sounds totally different, not just a spelling thing. Well one of the books she sent is Monkey Puzzle (which in the US is titled Where's my Mom?).

I don't mind the spelling of "grey" lol.

My parents are from Massachusetts and grew up calling their mothers "Mum" and "Mummy." I don't know why things stick in some regions and not others.

• Like 1

Since I am an Anglophile and also a bit pretentious :), I like to pronounce (but oddly, I don't usually spell) words the British way (at least at home) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ privacy and vitamin with a short 'i,' schedule with a 'sh' not 'sk', the way Canadians also do (I grew up in WNY). But the last time I was in Britain (last year) I found that many young people there are pronouncing schedule with 'sk'!! (the influence of TV shows such as "Friends," apparently). 

British publications use a lot less punctuation, especially commas, than we are used to (many sentences even in the Times would be considered run-ons here). The Brits don't use a period after Mr and Mrs (which I prefer :)Â Ă¢â‚¬â€œ it is a cleaner look ) because these are 'suspensions' and not true 'abbreviations' (i.e., the word begins and ends with the letters used for the shortened version). 

I started working in publishing in the 1980s, when we still had an off-site printing plant with real-live typesetters (people who actually took a paper manuscript and made plates for each page Ă¢â‚¬â€œ no longer with movable type, but they still keyed in the text by hand). The argument used then for keeping U.S. spelling for books by British authors, and co-pubs of British books, was that NOT using American spelling would confuse the typesetters (this was before online dictionaries and spell-checkers, etc.). And our proofreaders (again, real live people) were also American, who were used to American spelling.

Edited by Laura in CA

It only annoys me if British authors try to write an American character. Then the spelling and phrasing both bother me. If you're going to write for an a American audience, get an American to proof read. Otherwise, I'm not bothered. We can identify and understand a lot more British spelling and phrases than we actually use. I'd probably avoid an lower elementary language arts program that was specifically British, but I used and enjoyed Singapore Math and the British spelling didn't bug me at all.

As a customer, I would buy and use something just fine. I wouldn't return it. It IS a bit of a distraction and will be noticed though. How do you want it to flow?

• Like 1

I didn't realize that British "tea" tasted a lot like juice until I actually got to taste some at our VBS last week! Makes a lot more sense why kids drink it with their biscuits.

Is this just a cultural roadblock for me? I don't understand either of these posts. On what planet does tea taste like juice? How does Mexico not LOOK like it's in North America?

• Like 4

A lot of people mix up where Mexico goes ... obviously it is part of 'Latin America,' * and to me 'North America' seems obvious, if you look at a map ... but many people, including in the UK, apparently, think of North America as being composed of only Canada and the U.S. Remember when the Mexican-American man was attacked on a tram in Manchester? Many British news outlets said the mystery man (before he was identified) had a 'North American accent' - which was doubly "funny," because he turned out to be Mexican-American. But the Mexican part would also belong to North America, only they obviously weren't thinking along those lines. (I mean, to me a 'North American accent' would include Mexicans. I guess they mean "north North American accent"? :) )

From the Independent, although I saw this in various British newspapers:

The victim, speaking with a North American or Canadian accent, remained calm as he asked the suspects how old they were. 

*My hunch is that people think 'Latin America' when they see 'Central America' or 'South America', so they lump Mexico in with Central America and not with North America ...

ETA: and why does the Independent say 'North American or Canadian'?  :huh:
Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 1

Oui, which is why I was disappointed she didn't know that a fellow Commonwealth member would use the same English as she does. 

She did know! She just forgot because she was over tired, headachey, nauseous and generally feeling like death warmed up.

What a humiliating blot on her character! :blushing:   :leaving:  :crying:

She did know! She just forgot because she was over tired, headachey, nauseous and generally feeling like death warmed up.

What a humiliating blot on her character! :blushing:   :leaving:  :crying:

No worries, mate. Hope you're feeling better.

• Like 2