Menu

Do you plan to watch the 2017 solar eclipse?

Pen

We are in an area of 80% totality.  I will be at work but we plan to close the pharmacy for a few minutes so we can go look at it.

My dh and kids will be in 100%.  I bought glasses on Amazon. 

There's a pretty long thread on this already. I think it was last week?

Anyway--No, none of us are particularly interested. We're in an area that will get a pretty good partial eclipse but we aren't making any special viewing plans. We all find eclipses about as exciting as watching the grass grow.

• Like 1

Yes. I'm not too interested, to be honest, but DH has been talking about it over over a year and has my girls pretty excited. We are in an area with 80% totality but driving 90 minutes away where it should be near 100%. We are getting glasses through Amazon as well.

Yes.  We have glasses already sitting on my kitchen table ready to go bought from here:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/glasses_order.htm

They're probably more expensive than we could get from elsewhere, but I wanted to be as sure as possible they were genuine and not knockoffs.

We'll be driving about 8 hours one way to see it if we can go with Plan A (weather dependent).  If we need Plans B or C then it will be longer.

We've been looking forward to this for over a year now.  Two of my three boys and our DIL will be with us.  Unfortunately timing-wise, middle son starts Med school a week earlier so can't make it.

We're in the "can't fathom no interest in it" group, but we're very much into all things "nature" so it fits our profile.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

Actually I just looked and Charlotte (NC) will obscure a maximum of 98% eclipse (according to our newspaper article). Apparently that isn't good enough for hubby (lol) because we have plans to drive to Columbia, SC, for a total eclipse. I'm sure the traffic will be lovely :p

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

We have been planning it for months. We are going to a resort in the line. Not sure how many hours away it is but I am in NJ and it is in the Smokey Mountains, so it is more then a few. LOL Already got my government sanctioned glasses (2 different kinds) from Amazon. Think it will be a great trip for our family!

We are in 80% but will drive 8 hours to see 100% (hoping the weather cooperates). Taking the boys out of school for that day to do it. I read that if you are in 99% totality, there is still 10,000 times more light coming through than 100% totality! We are definitely excited about it. I bought glasses on amazon for viewing.

Jodie

Dh is taking off work.  We are about 2 hours away from 100%, but we have options that are 3-4 hours away.  We aren't making reservations because it's thunderstorm season in the southeast, so we'll just check the hourly forecast the night before and drive to our best bet.  Really, really hoping we don't get a hurricane that week, because I don't think we are up to driving to the midwest.

Ds is moving into the dorm that weekend and has his first class at 8am Tuesday.  He has a terrible time with car-sickness and hates long drives, so he may be satisfied with the partial, so he can be 100% Tuesday morning.  

Here is a link to maps showing the location of the eclipse on August 21, 2017.  It's about 7 hours from here, but only about one hour from where DD24 lives.  Perhaps we should go descend upon her! :D

Too bad it's not here, as I would like to see how it looks on the solar array.  I'll have to ask some of my solar acquaintances from the internet to share their results.

We read "Every Soul a Star" by Wendy Mass for our middle school book club several years ago and became intrigued by the idea of traveling for a solar eclipse. Unfortunately, this one is after public school starts for dd so she doesn't want to miss school. We have family near st. Louis.

One caution ... I read on one of the NASA sites that they expect terrible traffic in areas of totality, due to the numbers of people coming in for the day. Just an FYI.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes. I think eclipses of the moon are pretty boring. But of the sun? Much more interesting. Watching the sky go dark in the afternoon and then brightening back up? That's kinda cool. Especially at the 100% areas where it'll be dark as night for a bit there. I've heard you see stars, just like in the middle of the night. I hope that's true and not just an exaggeration. I like to imagine people in the past being Totally Freaked Out by it and thinking the end was coming.

We live in an 80% or so area and will be driving about 8 hours to get to a place with 98% I think. We're not sure we can get to 100% at this point. DH is still checking into a few things. We should have planned sooner, but life got in the way and we forgot to get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

Actually I just looked and Charlotte (NC) will obscure a maximum of 98% eclipse (according to our newspaper article). Apparently that isn't good enough for hubby (lol) because we have plans to drive to Columbia, SC, for a total eclipse. I'm sure the traffic will be lovely :p

Our dh's think alike. We're in an upper 90%--97, I think--viewing area but that's not good enough for dh. He plans to make the 3-hour drive to the 100% area. Dd is enrolled part-time at private school and I am reluctant to pull her out of school for this, so we will not be joining dh.

• Like 1

I am 20 minutes from totality, so I am going to figure out a way to go that little bit on country gravel roads. The major highway from our town will be packed.

It's our first day of classes, but I only have a morning class.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Yes. I think eclipses of the moon are pretty boring.

:svengo:

Years ago when my boys were young we got to see a total lunar eclipse and it was pretty awesome to see the moon slowly turning deep red. We had an especially good viewing area right off our back deck.

• Like 1

We are traveling to see it at 100%. I have an Annie Dillard essay called "Total Eclipse" to blame for my need to make this trip. At the moment, I have reservations at four different hotels in different cities because we weren't exactly sure of our logistics. Since we have that worked out now, I need to release the other rooms because I know places are booked up.

There's a pretty long thread on this already. I think it was last week?

Anyway--No, none of us are particularly interested. We're in an area that will get a pretty good partial eclipse but we aren't making any special viewing plans. We all find eclipses about as exciting as watching the grass grow.

Can't seem to find the other thread... only one back in June-ish about a NASA conference. Your why not is very funny!

Yes.  We have glasses already sitting on my kitchen table ready to go bought from here:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/glasses_order.htm

They're probably more expensive than we could get from elsewhere, but I wanted to be as sure as possible they were genuine and not knockoffs.

We'll be driving about 8 hours one way to see it if we can go with Plan A (weather dependent).  If we need Plans B or C then it will be longer.

We've been looking forward to this for over a year now.  Two of my three boys and our DIL will be with us.  Unfortunately timing-wise, middle son starts Med school a week earlier so can't make it.

We're in the "can't fathom no interest in it" group, but we're very much into all things "nature" so it fits our profile.

Thank you for the glasses link.  I also have worries about knock offs.  We got a gift of some eclipse glasses from an aunt and uncle, but I don't know how to know if they are genuine, and at least one of the pairs has what looks like something poked the lens area, not an obvious hole, but a big dimple, so I don't totally trust them.

We are in 80% but will drive 8 hours to see 100% (hoping the weather cooperates). Taking the boys out of school for that day to do it. I read that if you are in 99% totality, there is still 10,000 times more light coming through than 100% totality! We are definitely excited about it. I bought glasses on amazon for viewing.

Jodie

Wow, that is quite a difference!  We are in a 98ish% area, but I think given traffic issues we'll have to be content with that.

Here is a link to maps showing the location of the eclipse on August 21, 2017.  It's about 7 hours from here, but only about one hour from where DD24 lives.  Perhaps we should go descend upon her! :D

Too bad it's not here, as I would like to see how it looks on the solar array.  I'll have to ask some of my solar acquaintances from the internet to share their results.

Solar array?

Yes. I think eclipses of the moon are pretty boring. But of the sun? Much more interesting. Watching the sky go dark in the afternoon and then brightening back up? That's kinda cool. Especially at the 100% areas where it'll be dark as night for a bit there. I've heard you see stars, just like in the middle of the night. I hope that's true and not just an exaggeration. I like to imagine people in the past being Totally Freaked Out by it and thinking the end was coming.

We live in an 80% or so area and will be driving about 8 hours to get to a place with 98% I think. We're not sure we can get to 100% at this point. DH is still checking into a few things. We should have planned sooner, but life got in the way and we forgot to get the ball rolling.

We are in 98ish%, but I am thinking that we are on west coast, in a little valley of the Coast Range and there are hills and trees to the east. I guess we should see between now and Aug 21, whether the sun clears the hills and trees by time the eclipse is expected to start, or where here we would be able to view from.  Maybe it will take a short trip  to a high point / clear cut along road, but that may also be super busy if people are trying to drive to good viewing spots and consider 98% worth travel to.

Or, we have one highway heading into city area that tends to have nasty, blinding, straight ahead morning sun when headed east.  I usually try to avoid that if I can. Maybe this would be a good time to utilize that to advantage. Though if drivers are paying attention to eclipse and not the road it could be a danger.

Or maybe we will just experience it as it happens and imagine being totally freaked out if it seems like dawn comes and then goes away a few hours later.

• Like 2

Yes, we will only have about 75-80% totality where we are. We can't make the nine hours south to the nearest town in the path, and given how packed the roads are going to be, not too inclined anyway. But we are going four and half hours away in order to catch 87-90% totality and a friend's corn field there with a nice wide, fairly level drive is available to us for parking and setting up our telescope. Dh just got the new filter made for it.

Yes - we're in the path of totality! So, weather-permitting, we'll skip the traffic and enjoy it from our front yard, with our own bathrooms nearby. If we had to travel to see totality, given the ages of my kids, I really don't know what I'd plan. With older kids, maybe? 

I ordered a set of the paper eclipse glasses for everyone - it was maybe $10 for the whole family?

• Like 1

We can't wait! We're in the path of totality, so it's a huge deal here. DH is taking the day off work, and I'm going to let younger ds stay home from his school that day. Aside from the coolness of science, I'm really intrigued by the idea of what ancient civilizations must have thought about such an event. I can't even imagine the feelings that would be evoked by darkness in the middle of the day when you don't have the scientific understanding of why!

I just found out today that a local brewery is brewing a special beer in honor of the event, and every 12-pack will come with a pair of eclipse glasses. Not only is that awesome, it's about the most St. Louis thing ever!

• Like 4

We can't wait! We're in the path of totality, so it's a huge deal here. DH is taking the day off work, and I'm going to let younger ds stay home from his school that day. Aside from the coolness of science, I'm really intrigued by the idea of what ancient civilizations must have thought about such an event. I can't even imagine the feelings that would be evoked by darkness in the middle of the day when you don't have the scientific understanding of why!

I just found out today that a local brewery is brewing a special beer in honor of the event, and every 12-pack will come with a pair of eclipse glasses. Not only is that awesome, it's about the most St. Louis thing ever!

Also in St. Louis, and yes to this!

• Like 2

I'm hoping to.  We'll be on a plane ready to land in an area of totality when it starts.  lol  I'm kind of excited about that and plan on packing the special glasses (we bought a pair for everyone in our family a few years ago for the transit of Jupiter) in my purse and hope to have a window seat where I can see it! 

YES! We've been looking forward to it for months. We're in the path of totality. I bought 6 eclipse glasses from Amazon in May (I was doing a speech on the eclipse for my public speaking class and needed a visual aid), but around here we're finding it's pretty easy to pick them up for free. Dh and I each got a pair for going to a free presentation on the eclipse, he got another pair for going to an eclipse photography workshop, dd got a pair from her science class, and a realtor friend just sent us a postcard we can turn in for four free pairs! They'll be on sale at our county fair for $1 each--that's cheap.

What we don't know yet is exactly where we'll be. Dh may be at work where they'll do something, but he thinks families aren't invited. I would like to watch it from our backyard but we need to check the location of the sun as we get closer to the day to make sure it's not obscured by trees. We will not drive out of town for sure. I tried to drive to Portland for dd's doctor appointment the Friday before July 4th and I-5 was a nightmare. I do not want to be anywhere near it the day of the eclipse!

• Like 1

We're in the St Louis area. At this point it feels like skipping it would be a very, very lonely thing to do.  Lots of options for viewing; even our church is having a viewing party.  

It's starting to feel like a 4th-of-July-type event, with endless discussions about where to go to stare up at the sky.

My in-laws live in the totality zone so we're planning a trip to see them to coincide with it. We are excited! I don't think I'd plan a special trip somewhere random and far away, but this seems perfect. My in-laws are wonderful hosts and we'd have a great time even without the eclipse. We put "reservations" in with them about a year ago to be sure we could stay and get the jump on any other relatives. Sorry to my SIL and BIL, but it's for science