Menu

Spin Off - Disney

tdbates78

I seen Disney mentioned several times in the vacation thread so I'm curious. We took a vacation to WDW last year with our at-the-time 6.5 year old girls. They did not really like it. Yes, my princess-loving girls did not care for Disney. The each liked certain components, but my mild HF ASD daughter thought most rides were "dark and scary" and was overwhelmed by everything going on, and my other daughter said she likes Carowinds (our local amusement park, for which we always have season passes) better.

Its so not my thing, but as we live within driving distance it almost feels obligatory. It was a very expensive trip, as I'm sure most of you know, so it was a bit sad that they didn't fall in love. Although, deep down, I'm also kinda glad because we don't have to return :p

We seem to be in the minority though. Anyone else not care for Disney?

ETA no offense to Disney or those who love it. I certainly get why most kids would have a great time. I was just surprised by the reaction of mine.

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

Well, I mentioned in the vacation thread that we just got back from WDW.

I'll be honest: we didn't lovelovelove it. We liked it....but for the price, and the planning required, and the stress...meh. We liked it, but my kids said they liked the Great Wolf Lodge better.

• Like 3

We've never been and probably won't ever go.  It's super expensive.  We are more of the camping-in-the-woods vacation type.  If we wanted a place with action and adventure, we'd probably do something like Six Flags.

But to quantify: We don't watch movies or TV except the occasional Amazon Prime rental.  So, Disney is not our thing on any level.

• Like 2

We love Disney, but we waited until our boys were about 8 and 11 to take them. It's absolutely NOT "the happiest place on earth" for young kids. I never cease to be amazed that people waste $$$$ taking young kids there.

AGREED! I thought my girls were at a good age, but in retrospect we probably could have waited a year or two. I couldn't imagine taking them any younger than we did. It's ridiculously expensive as is...if they are too young to get anything out of it then what's the point?!

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

We love it.

But, it's expensive.  And, there's a LOT down in Orlando, so even a trip to Disney isn't JUST Disney.  Also, Disney has a LOT to do.  You can do the whole Park, RIDE, etc.  But you don't have to.  DH and I are really a fan of water parks.  So, getting a park hopper pass, water parks are a great option for a day.

Also, on the trip we took in 2013 that I mentioned in the other thread, my sister and I took our kids to Medieval Times.  DH stayed at the condo with DS, who was 1, and my girls and I, who were 3, 5, and 18 all went with my sister and her boys who were 7 and 18.  I was shocked at who much my 3yr old loved it. 

One day, my sister took her boys to the beach, DH and I took the girls to Magic Kingdom, my mom kept the baby, and we just spent the day doing all those small kiddie rides that people forget about.

There's a LOT to Disney.  There's a lot more to a "trip to Disney" beyond the actual Disney resort. 

My post was on Disney World resort itself, not a general Orlando vacation. We chose not to do anything else in Orlando, even though there is plenty to see/do, because the second half of our vacation was spent in St. Augustine. 

Edited by tdbates78

One thing I learned on that trip was that my girls definitely enjoy vacations that are more laid back without a packed itinerary. Getting them up and ready to get to Disney when they opened, having to be at x at a certain time for a lunch reservation or having to be at this section of the part for fast passes didn't work out well. We are much more of a laid back family, especially on vacation, and that part was annoying to all of us. I know you can do WDW without the schedules, but we were only there for 3 days and wanted to make the most of our trip. 

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

A few years ago we stayed on Disney property and didn't go to Disney.  It's fine, but not a must do thing for us.  We went to Universal (just took the older two who were 10 and 12 at the time) for Harry Potter while we were there.

I understand.

When I say "we went to Disney" I generally mean that was the man focus of our vacation down in Orlando. 

Do people really go spend 7 whole days on Disney World property and never leave? 

Apparently so! I know a family who goes every year, stays on the park, and pretty much never leaves. We went for 4 days, of which 3 were spent between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. That was enough for us. I wish we would have checked out Legoland, which would probably be more their speed. I personally couldn't imagine doing Disney only or an entire week.

We went. It was awesome for us given my kids' ages and special needs. There were a lot of factors I won't get into that made this really good for a family of 5 with ds 13, DD 10, and DS 6. Probably could have had fun returning one more time within a two year period. But for us it was a once in a lifetime expense. We stayed onsite at a "value" resort.

I'm not sure I get going with super young dc or going multiple times.

I also took DD then 17 and DS then 13 to universal. We stayed at a universal "value" resort. Again we had a great time. I'm not sure it would be great to go over and over.

• Like 1

I'm 36 and I've never been to Disney. I'd like to go someday, but it's not a high priority. I think there are a lot of other real places I'd rather spend our money to experience first. I'd rather save longer and go to Hawaii or Ireland for example. I know some people really love it, but it seems so artificial to me. Maybe if I went I'd change my mind, but I don't think my kids will be scarred for life if we don't go there as a family.

• Like 7

I love Disney. I have been over 100 times since it opened. But, it was always a very stressful trip until I learned how to do it "right".

Now, I go with the intention of doing only one fun thing a day, everything else just involves meandering to see what happens.

In addition, I try to stay off the main drag. I like the tours, classes, and resorts.

• Like 4

My boys enjoyed it as kids & teens and would happily go again if the opportunity came up even though they're now in their 20s, but... when we were going to FL together to look at colleges I asked them (individually) if they'd rather do Disney or the beach and they each replied "beach" without even a seconds worth of hesitation.

They also prefer National Parks or similar awesome vistas with hiking, etc.  If you asked them what their favorite thing of all time to do in FL was they'd tell you it would be camping for three nights at the Dry Tortugas. (small NP on a very small island, but plenty of water, snorkeling, and free time with very few people)

Busch Gardens in Tampa ranks higher on their list than Disney does.  It has better "rides" and is a better "zoo."

But I can't put Disney in the "dislike it" category.  We don't. It can be fun to escape into their fantasy land once in a while.  There are just better things (for us) out there when looking at the big picture.

• Like 2

I'm 36 and I've never been to Disney. I'd like to go someday, but it's not a high priority. I think there are a lot of other real places I'd rather spend our money to experience first. I'd rather save longer and go to Hawaii or Ireland for example. I know some people really love it, but it seems so artificial to me. Maybe if I went I'd change my mind, but I don't think my kids will be scarred for life if we don't go there as a family.

Disney dropped down on my guys' "love it" list after they'd been to "real" places Disney tries to recreate - like Hawaii or the West.  The first time we went there after they'd experienced "real" they all mentioned that fact.  There's no doubt in my mind that they'd vote Hawaii over Disney.

• Like 2

It's been 10 years since our last trip there.  Every year we ask our sons if they want to go before they outgrow it, but they keep telling us they'd rather head back to Cedar Point in OH, or one of the Great America's, or The Wilderness at the Wisconsin Dells.  I would sort of like to go again... maybe when my littler ones are in grade school.

We just got back from Europe last month and, outside of the airfare, 2.5 weeks in Switzerland, France and Germany cost about the same as our 5 night Disney trip. When I think about that I have a difficult time imagining we'll ever go back. Too many places to see, too little time!

• Like 9

I will follow up and say that I'm glad we experienced it, even if it didn't go quite as planned. I can fully appreciate the environment they created and all of the little details everywhere. And we all loved the Mickey pancakes! :)

• Like 1

I went one time in high school on a band trip, it was so crowded I didn't enjoy Disney.

Off and on over the years I have contemplated someday taking my kids there but so far they aren't super into Disney, they don't like people in character costumes, and my oldest two would not likely do any rides. I'm super terrified of most rides and get motion sick easily. I once cried on a kiddie coaster, as an adult. Plus it really isn't in our budget.

I'm not saying we would never go, but there are so many other parts of the US and world I'd like to see as well. If someone gave us tickets, I'd certainly go and enjoy the trip.

We have been to Disney twice....both Make A Wish trips...and the kids enjoyed it. We got the royal treatment which made it better. We are glad we went and the 2 with wishes were very happy

That said, we enjoy much more laid back vacations better. Meandering various state and national parks ranks up just as high for them at a fraction of the cost and stress level.

I don't know how I feel about it honestly...On one hand, I went as a kid (I was 14) and loved it. Then, my husband and I went without kids and had a great time alone. But, realistically, I know that a Disney trip for 6 kids would cost an absolute fortune and I just can't justify spending that much money for 1 week of life. Plus, my oldest is 10 and the youngest will be born next month, so somebody is going to get the raw end of the deal. My oldest will be too old but the youngest will be too young. I about have a nervous breakdown going anywhere with my crew so I cannot imagine that herding them through every Disney park, having to be at certain fastpass, meals, etc. would be fun AT ALL.

But then again...we've been saving for it and dh really wants to go. I just hope I don't regret it, and choose the right time.

We love Disney, but we waited until our boys were about 8 and 11 to take them. It's absolutely NOT "the happiest place on earth" for young kids. I never cease to be amazed that people waste $$$$ taking young kids there.

My young kids and grandkids have thoroughly enjoyed Disney, and we have taken them as young as 5 months (granted, she slept a lot in the Ergo). From about 15 months on they seemed to love the characters, be fascinated on the kiddie rides, and in awe of the nighttime shows/parades.

We go once or twice a year and they always start begging to go back as soon as we get home. My 3yo granddaughter cried for week when we got back from our trip in January because she missed her Cars room.

I've never been. For the 6 of us to go it would cost an ungodly amount of money that we just don't have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You might be surprised. I'm a Disney Travel Agent and I book super budget trips for people all the time, and do all the planning (if people want me to) at no cost.

We love it.

But, it's expensive. And, there's a LOT down in Orlando, so even a trip to Disney isn't JUST Disney. Also, Disney has a LOT to do. You can do the whole Park, RIDE, etc. But you don't have to. DH and I are really a fan of water parks. So, getting a park hopper pass, water parks are a great option for a day.

Also, on the trip we took in 2013 that I mentioned in the other thread, my sister and I took our kids to Medieval Times. DH stayed at the condo with DS, who was 1, and my girls and I, who were 3, 5, and 18 all went with my sister and her boys who were 7 and 18. I was shocked at who much my 3yr old loved it.

One day, my sister took her boys to the beach, DH and I took the girls to Magic Kingdom, my mom kept the baby, and we just spent the day doing all those small kiddie rides that people forget about.

There's a LOT to Disney. There's a lot more to a "trip to Disney" beyond the actual Disney resort.

When we do a trip to Disney, we go to Disney. We usually stay 7 nights and spend 6 days in the parks (usually one or two mornings we do late character breakfasts (really brunches) and go into parks in the afternoon those days, just to give the kiddos a break, but I'd have to spend 2 weeks in Orlando if I wanted to pack in something other than Disney.

Something else I'd like to add for those who have mentioned it was crowded and stressful; go in the off season and have a travel planner help you with a schedule. I have had many clients tell me it was the best vacation they've ever had. I encourage people to go during lower crowd times (and preferably cooler weather), and I make great touring plans that don't require a lot of running around like crazy.

We love thrill rides so we like other theme parks too, but even my adult children LOVE Disney and don't ever want to be left out of a trip!

• Like 4

We are ones that love it and don't leave the area once we get there. We do a lot of things so this is our down time. It forces us to stop and just do what is there. Otherwise, we would go, go,go. For us- we plan hotel days, water park days and besides the normal Disney stuff we do the off the beaten path things. Last year, my kids and I wanted to see if we could do all 4 parks in one day and survive it. That was fun.

If you ever take any of the tours- some are really good and a few are very reasonable.

Something else I'd like to add for those who have mentioned it was crowded and stressful; go in the off season and have a travel planner help you with a schedule. I have had many clients tell me it was the best vacation they've ever had. I encourage people to go during lower crowd times (and preferably cooler weather), and I make great touring plans that don't require a lot of running around like crazy.

We love thrill rides so we like other theme parks too, but even my adult children LOVE Disney and don't ever want to be left out of a trip![/

That was great but now there isn't much of an off season anymore. So many festivals and stuff have affected it.

• Like 1

I've been to Disney many times.   We have family in the area that shares passes, etc with us when we visit them.  I went a couple times as a kid too.  It's fine for what it is but I'd rather travel the world and see new and different things than go there repeatedly.  It is not a cheap trip either.

I stayed in a Disney Resort once - never again.  WAY overpriced.  No wifi/internet without paying more.  Shuffled around like cattle.  No thanks. 

I was a Disney refuser. I did not want to go. I didn't hate it from my childhood, but nor was it so awesome that I felt we had to put down the money on it. But my mother dragged us there for the kids' 9th birthday and I had to admit, it was pretty awesome. Because it was grandmother financed, we ended up with two massive vacations that year - Africa and Disney. Dh and I much preferred Africa. And the kids were awesome in Africa, but I'm sad to say they liked Disney better.

We are going back after Labor Day for the first time since then (and probably the last time). Rather than stay on property, I just booked us a cheapie place with a kitchen. We're going to do Harry Potter at Universal as well. It'll be a very different experience from the everything pre-planned, meal plan all pre-set, staying on property, with park hopper passes kind of experience we had a few years ago. This will be bagels in the room, one meal at the park, spaghetti in the hotel room, one park per day, no major extra splurges. And we have to visit my grandmother on the way. But the kids have already started *their* planning. They're excited about Pandora. I'm just hoping it will be as deserted as it was when we were there previously.

And then my Disney obligations will be fulfilled. I'll take the future grandchildren to Europe instead.

• Like 1

It's fun.  

It's not our favorite, in part because to "do it right" takes a certain amount of prior planning, while my husband doesn't like being marched around on a schedule and part of what *I* want on vacation is *not* to have to be the drill sergeant I tend to be in real life; in part because it's a perfectly controlled environment (well, almost perfect lol) and we'd rather discover "realer" places; in part because the couple times we've gone it's been HOT and that tends to make everyone in our family a bit grumpy.

Fun but not magic, KWIM?

I don't know how I feel about it honestly...On one hand, I went as a kid (I was 14) and loved it. Then, my husband and I went without kids and had a great time alone. But, realistically, I know that a Disney trip for 6 kids would cost an absolute fortune and I just can't justify spending that much money for 1 week of life. Plus, my oldest is 10 and the youngest will be born next month, so somebody is going to get the raw end of the deal. My oldest will be too old but the youngest will be too young. I about have a nervous breakdown going anywhere with my crew so I cannot imagine that herding them through every Disney park, having to be at certain fastpass, meals, etc. would be fun AT ALL.

But then again...we've been saving for it and dh really wants to go. I just hope I don't regret it, and choose the right time.

If you go when the youngest is around age six, and the oldest is 16, it will still be fun for everyone, and everyone will be old enough to remember the experience.

• Like 1

We enjoy it. I found it easy to plan (although since the last time we've gone theyve added fast pass ahead of time which I think would have been an added stress). I love that it's the one vacation we can take and I don't have to worry about what I'm going to feed my kids with allergies. I loved being able to make reservations ahead of time for meals so my little one wouldn't have a break down as we waited for a table to open up. I loved that it was all close together and easily entertained the kids. It s predictable for the most part which helped my kid who likes to know what's coming next. We've taken our kids twice, but its not our only vacation spot, so I wouldn't say we love it, but it was enjoyable. We also took our kids young. I think the first time they were 3 and 2. The second I believe they were 5, 4 and 18 months. We still found it fun, even my spd kid.

I understand.

When I say "we went to Disney" I generally mean that was the man focus of our vacation down in Orlando. 

Do people really go spend 7 whole days on Disney World property and never leave? 

Of the four times we've been to Disney, three were spent onsite the entire time. One year we went to Universal, but that was after a full week at Disney. Honestly there's just so much to do there (4 parks) that I wouldn't want to rush through or tour commando style. So much of the neat stuff is when you're just walking around and come upon something. I also don't think you have to really love "Disney" characters to like Disney. And I think sometimes people think it's just an amusement park. But we don't feel that way. We don't even go to amusement parks. They are just rides. Disney is rides, yes, but there are experiences as well, shows, etc. Animal Kingdom is like a huge zoo. Hollywood Studios (well, when it was in its heyday) had street scenes/characters/musical performances, Epcot has all the different countries to visit, food to eat, etc. When you add in down time (pool time, relaxing midday or taking a day off and hanging at the resort) you can fill a week no problem. But I get that it's not everyone's cuppa. And we couldn't do it every year or anything. We do a lot of camping, did a 5 week National Parks tour (mostly out west) and will be going to Europe this summer.

• Like 1

My kid grew up at Disney.  When we lived in CA, we went at least once per month, had annual passes, and loved it.

Now we have to drive so we don't go as often (and get a hotel room, etc....) and now that they are in school, it is much harder.  But they do still like it.  Last year we only did Universal though.

• Like 1

We are a total disney family. My DD was 6 and my boys had just turned 5 when we went last April and we rode EVERYTHING. We still talk about it constantly and felt it was the best vacation we ever took. I have a weird adventure seeking group though so not all kids at that age would love it.

• Like 1

We went the first week in March last year. Supposedly off season, and the MK was at 50% capacity and there were 90 minute waits for the Peter Pan ride and to see Ariel. They offered free meal plans for park hotel guests (we didn't partake as we stayed in a condo off-site) during the time we were there which seems geared to increase visitors during "off season". I couldn't imagine being there during peak season. I'm not one for crowds though.

• Like 1

Dd liked it, I hated the crowds and the wait.  We live close enough to Disney that we could go on a regular basis, but don't.  Dd has been twice, once with dh and his parents and once with my mom, brother and me.  I really really don't care to go back.

• Like 1

It's fun, but so expensive. WE live in the Orlando area and haven't been in years. And right now it is WAY too hot. So so so hot. I see friends posting on Facebook about being there (they have passes) and I think they are CRAZY. No way would I go in this heat with little kids. 

But I'm more a zoo kind of person, lol. 

• Like 3

We've been season pass holders for years now....and I've probably been to Disney 100 times since I was a kid. So yeah, we kinda love it. We're definitely a Disney family. We actually just went to Pandora on Sunday to see the new land.

Someone mentioned wasting money on taking little kids there. Those are some of our most precious memories! Two to four years old is a sweet spot! Everything is so real and magical to them at that age. I wouldn't trade those memories for the money at all!

• Like 2

You might be surprised. I'm a Disney Travel Agent and I book super budget trips for people all the time, and do all the planning (if people want me to) at no cost.

So, I'm really curious...what does a super budget trip cost for a family of 6?

• Like 1

Disney is much more than just 4 amusement parks. There is an endless list of possibilities to do while onsite. We go to Disney 6 or 7 times a year and never get bored. We spend a week there each fall. Outside of the four parks, you can....

Go parasailing

Rent boats

Go on pirate adventure cruises

Go on fireworks cruises

Shop at Disney Springs

Take tours

Go to a plethora of restaurants

Resort hop and exploring by monorail, bus, or boat

Attend a princess tea party

Go to the bippidiy boppity boutique

Go mini golfing

Go regular golfing

Pony rides or horseback riding

Campfire singalong and outdoor movie

Go on a hayride

Go canoeing or kayaking

Go fishing

Ride a Segway

Rent bikes and surrey bikes

Walk trails

Go on a carriage ride

Play in an arcade

Play shuffleboard, basketball, tetherball

Learn archery

Go to a dinner show

That just scratches the surface and none of those require park admission!

Edited by christusg01
  • Like 4

I know you can do WDW without the schedules, but we were only there for 3 days and wanted to make the most of our trip. 

I used to work in the parks, and it always made me so sad to see families doing the forced march through WDW with kids who were obviously too exhausted and cranky to enjoy the experience.

I always suggested to guests that, rather than thinking in terms of "making the most of the time" by trying to do everything, they reframe the goal as being about enjoying what they did, even if they saw fewer things.

(Also, for what it's worth, my personal observation suggests that the third day in a row on property is pretty much always too much for younger kids. If it's at all possible, a much better plan is to spend an extra night, do two days in the parks, then take a break for a day at the hotel pool or whatever before heading back into the parks for another day or two.)

So, yeah, there are some folks who just don't click with the Disney magic, but I would also gently suggest that it sounds like your experience might not have been representative of what a vacation to WDW can be like.

• Like 7

Disney is much more than just 4 amusement parks. There is an endless list of possibilities to do while onsite. We go to Disney 6 or 7 times a year and never get bored. We spend a week there each fall. Outside of the four parks, you can....

Go parasailing

Rent boats

Go on fireworks cruises

Shop at Disney Springs

Take tours

Go mini golfing

Go regular golfing

Go on a hayride

Go canoeing or kayaking

Go fishing

Ride a Segway

Walk trails

Go on a carriage ride

Play in an arcade

Learn archery

Go to a dinner show

And a few more:

Get married

Get engaged

Scuba diving

Tour the underground, the railroads, and all four parks backstage

Learn to bake a cake

Learn to bake and serve cookies

Take a class in rollercoaster physics

Spend time with a photographer learning how to take the best photos

Scavenger hunt

Hidden Mickey Hunt

Learn to grow hydroponics

Take a animation class

Spend time at the chef's table of several of the resort restaurants

Go on a pirate cruise

Bike

Camp

Private parties like a desert party. These are phenomenal.

Watch the fireworks on a boat alone with your sweety while eating chocolate covered strawberries

Take a romantic stroll to the wedding pavilion followed by a glass of Fairytale CuvĂƒÂ©e at the Grand.

Various art and history lessons at the resorts

By the way, it was ironic you mentioned resort hopping as I was just there last week teaching my sister-in-law how to resort hop in search of hidden Mickeys.

We've never been to WDW, but Disneyland...we went there on our honeymoon in 1974 and have averaged once a year for the last 43 years. And Mr. Ellie grew up in San Diego; he went to Disneyland the year it opened, and often after that. Yeah, we love Disneyland. :-)

But it's ok if you don't. Different strokes and all that. :-)

• Like 2

Go parasailing

Rent boats

Go on fireworks cruises

Shop at Disney Springs

Take tours

Go mini golfing

Go regular golfing

Go on a hayride

Go canoeing or kayaking

Go fishing

Ride a Segway

Walk trails

Go on a carriage ride

Play in an arcade

Learn archery

Go to a dinner show

But they all cost $$ (or almost all - probably not "walk trails") and for those of us who prefer a scenery change - often with more real geological scenery - they can all be done elsewhere too. ;)

Ditto with the later post another boardie posted.  I've always wondered why anyone would want to scuba dive in a fishtank (any aquarium)... and I've always wondered why some prefer doing the same thing over and over again when there is so much available out there to see and do.

Different strokes for different folks.  It's what makes our world go around (distributing $$ all over - some keep Disney in business, some keep beaches in business, etc, etc, etc).

Edited by creekland
  • Like 6

We have been several times and really liked it. Due to the high cost of flights from overseas we generally stayed 10+ days (which takes away some of the stress as you can stretch things out a bit). On a couple of trips we did Disney only (travelling alone with an almost 3 and 5 year old is pretty stressful), on other trips we combined with I-Drive/Universal/cruise/beach vacation. That being said, I am not sure when or if we will go back. While I think it can be an awesome vacation, it has gotten so expensive that I think the value isn't there any more (at least for us).

I, myself, have only been to Disney once, when I was 16. I enjoyed it just fine. Dh went multiple times as a kid. My eldest has gone with his father once. The rest have never been.

I do feel like I'm "supposed to" take my kids at least once, but I really don't want to.  For the amount we would spend, we can do so many other cool things that are way more relaxing (imo.)

• Like 3