Menu

Anyone had painful ovulation? TMI FEMALE

UmMusa

Has anyone had painful ovulation, or 'mittelschmertz' as it's called?  I got a small twinge of a pain on tuesday which i thought might be the beginning of a UTI.... i chugged water and cranberry juice and never had any burning or pain.  But the dull, intermittent cramping went on for two days and the pain moved around in the pelvic area.  

In the past I've noticed a cramp on one side which I easily knew was ovulation, but this is much different with crampiness, dull ache, and, for a short while, really uncomfortable lower abdomen.  

Could it just be a mid-cycle thing?  Just looking for feedback.  I talked with a dr's office and I'm not in any urgent need, but I'm wondering what that was.  Today would have been the third day, and the pain is gone... except I felt a slight bit of something, but not obvious enough to be pain.  

Implantation wouldn't feel like this, would it???

I do this around ovulation. My lower abdomen gets bloated and sore. It feels more like pressure pain than sharp pain. I don't know if that makes sense. TMI: Going to the bathroom (bm) can be painful, too. Some months are worse than others.

I have talked to the dr about it. They said most likely I have scar tissue in the area. Probably from old cysts on the ovaries. I have known other women who do this, too.

Someone told me the best thing you can do to relieve the pain is TeA. It seems counterintuitive but I do find it helps.

Ummmm.... is there a chance you're pregnant? That's what implantation/early pregnancy feels like for me!

I don't always feel ovulation, but when I do, it's a pretty sharp twinge that lasts 10 minutes or so, and is clearly to one side.

the thought crossed my mind even though it would be unlikely.  ovulation pain has also been only a few minutes for me in the past as well.

• Like 1

Ovulation pain for me is very distinctive--almost like a knife, probably lasting under a minute, and off to the side. 

I had dull cramping in early pregnancy. I sometimes also have it in the days leading up to my period. Maybe your cycle is starting early this time?

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Every month I get it. It's tender for a day or so before and a sharp ache/stab when I actually ovulate, with residual tenderness for another day or so afterward. The stab is definitely on one side or the other.

Pretty normal for me?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Sure, I get it most months when I'm cycling (haven't been for some time!).  I usually have cramps that feel like PMS and generally feel yucky.  Sometimes the pain is on my left side only.  This will last for most of a day but never two days.  It's been getting more painfully annoying as I grow older.  I know it is mittelschmerz because we chart my cycles.

I wouldn't confuse it with a UTI because in my case, that pain is really low (like, urethra low).

• Like 1

It sounds pretty normal for me. Some months my mittelschmertz is worse than menstrual cramping and leaves me curled up in a ball until the next morning. I've talked with my midwives and it's just my body's norm. The better/worse months may be related to which side the egg is coming out of.

I think it's better when I do back and ab exercises and stretches on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I wouldn't confuse it with a UTI because in my case, that pain is really low (like, urethra low).

This is why I'm perplexed.  It started out that low, but now I'm dull achey off to the left. Last night it was more central-low.

I'm used the sharp stab of ovulation, and this hasn't been like that. 

I've been pregnant five times, and I've never felt tenderness like this so I doubt (and hope) it's not that.

I guess my other question is.. could it be anything horrible that I'm not thinking of?

I've had a day off and on of discomfort during ovulation ever since losing my tubes. Not several days. Do you have any other symptoms of ovarian cysts or appendicitis?

I'd have to google what those symptoms are.

I don't think appendicitis, but could this be a cyst bursting? Never had that before. I'll go google...I hope I make it back here and not get lost over there!

Yes. For me it's like mild to moderate low cramps, sometimes with low back pain too. It lasts 1-3 days every cycle. I sometimes have a dull ache behind my pubic bone too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly me too. Definitely low back pain. It's only been the last few years for me that I have had ovulation pain. Edited by DesertBlossom

Yes. A hockey trainer I know used to ask his male players if their pain was mittelschmerz,  and would hoot silently with laughter when they answered "yes."  :laugh:

I noticed it become very strong after my mis-carriage. I thought at first I was having another mis-carriage.  :mad:

Edited by wintermom

I used to have it for a day, though it was never too bad.  I also had ovarian cysts though, probably many over the years!  So some of the weird pain I'd experience from time to time could have been from those. They never amounted to anything...  They always seemed to go away on their own eventually.  I did find out just recently that I have PCOS, which explains a lot of things! (odd cramping -- from small cysts, irregular periods, facial hair).  It's often hereditary.  Most of my girls have the same symptoms I used to/still have. 

• Like 1

I've had very uncomfortable mittelschmerz several times, particularly since the last two or three babies.  Worse than menstrual cramps.  It builds for a couple of days and then can actually make it noticeable when I sit down for about a day.  Occasionally it peaks in a pretty sharp pain over a few hours.  Then it dissipates and is gone.  It does make it pretty easy to pinpoint ovulation.  (It also coincides with noticeable changes in cervical fluid and comes two weeks before my period, or it corresponds well to dating on the early ultrasounds, so I am extremely sure it's ovulation, even though my cycles tend to be somewhat erratic.)

In my case, it may well be because of an ovarian cyst.  In early ultrasounds with my last two babies, they noted a cyst.  It was assumed to be a corpus luteum cyst and that it would go away, but it has not.  The OB who did my c-section in December noted that it was fairly good sized (5 cm, I think) and that I should get an u/s postpartum.  I did, and it appears to be benign.  It causes no trouble except for the discomfort around ovulation, and I really would rather not have anyone messing with my ovaries right now (because it's possible that they'd have to remove an ovary too while removing the cyst) since I'd really like to try for a rainbow baby at some point, and age is already not on my side, and it obviously hasn't interfered with my fertility, so we're leaving it be.

• Like 1

I used to get ovulation cramps too.  But, they were definitely cramps and not something I'd confuse with a UTI.  Some months  they were worse than others and I would need ibuprofen to help with the pain.  A long warm bath also usually helped.  Mine would go on for about 18-24hrs and then lessen up over time.

I wouldn't think that ovulation pain would go on for more than a day or two.   But, then again, I tend to be a "wait and see" type of person.  If it were me I'd wait and see if it happened again next month. 

I never had pain with ovulation until a few years ago and I'm now 50 (OMG, I think this is the first time I've typed that out- ugh!). I do have massive amounts of scar tissue from two surgeries, so I'm pretty sure that's a major part of it. Mine is generally on one side and last for about 24 hours. It's not every month either. 

Yeah, something is definitely different and it's not ovulation. Since I'm mid cycle I doubt a test would detect pregnancy. It's such a weird thing. Dang it. I hate it when mystery symptoms occur. Cuz then you think the worst.

Called my doctor' office and described the symptoms (which are no longer present) to the nurse. The plan is to wait and see basically if I'm pregnant or if it was nothing. I haven't been in this boat in a long time! Thanks for your support at a time I didn't want to share this with anyone around me. Now a ten day wait...

I've always had painful ovulation; mainly on the right side.  That's why it was always so easy for me to get pregnant.  I always knew when it was the "right" time. I've also always had very painful, heavy periods. 

However, now that I'm going through menopause, my periods are quite a bit lighter, shorter, and no pain.  Best of all, no more ovulation pain either.