Menu

Menu Ideas for Small Grocery Budget

4Kiddos

My husband is out of work and so I have been keeping our monthly food budget to $350 a month including everything- diapers, paper products, etc. We have five kids ages 8 and down and they all eat a lot. Seriously, my one and a half year old eats more than I do. :) We live in a mid COL area I think so that has been so helpful. So far, things have been going really well and I have been making everything from scratch. But, I would like a few more ideas for meals and thought perhaps the Hive might have some really good ideas. So, could you share with me please? Here is what I have been doing so far

Breakfasts: Oatmeal, grits, cornmeal mush, muffins, coffee cake, eggs, pancakes, etc.

Lunch: Leftovers, cornbread and milk, stir fry, chow mein, etc.

Dinner: Soups, stews, chili, casseroles, lots of rice dishes, lots of noodle dishes, biscuits and gravy, etc. I usually serve these with a side of inexpensive vegetables or whatever is on sale- peas, broccoli, cole slaw, green beans,etc.

Snacks: Apples and bananas (sometimes other fruit when it is on sale), homemade bread and butter/peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, celery and carrots, etc.

Drinks: We drink a lot of milk and have iced tea occasionally

I would really appreciate any ideas you might have.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 1

It sounds as though you are doing a great job already! I find that one gets a lot of nutritional bang-for-the buck with dried legumes (beans, lentils, chick peas, etc.), cabbage-family vegetables, yams/sweet potatoes, root veggies (carrots, beets, turnips), potatoes, and eggs--lots of vitamins for not too much money. Do your kids like other grains? Bulgur and that sort of thing? Mine enjoy salads made with rye grains or cracked wheat--very filling, not very expensive. Stuffed baked potatoes? You could make a can or two of tuna or salmon go a long way in stuffed potatoes. Hummus and whole-wheat pitas? (I make my own pita bread--easy.) Squash is cheap here--is it there? You could stuff baked squash halves with cooked grains mixed with some other little bits of veg or meat (you can stretch a couple of sausages out that way pretty easily).

Do you have the space to have a little bit of a garden, even in some containers? You could have more variety in produce if you can grow even some of your own vegetables. Lettuce, radishes, some herbs--all easy and tasty. Beans are really easy. Peas are pretty easy, too.

I hope your husband will find work soon--we've been there, too, and it's not very fun.

• Like 2

It sounds like you are already on your game. I would only think about making sure to keep a variety of sauces so that you are keeping things fresh tasting. An herb garden alone can keep you with fresh tasting dishes and save a ton of money. Starting herbs from seed is soooo cheap. Also, growing your own lettuce for salad is much cheaper than buying lettuce or spinach and so nice to have fresh. 

• Like 1

I buy pork shoulders when they're on sale for dirt cheap- like a buck a pound- and make pulled pork in the slow cooker. You get a ridiculous amount of meat, and it's easy to use shredded pork in other recipes, too.  We usually do burritos and soup with it once we're sick of pulled pork sandwiches.

I love cabbage sauteed in butter, too, and cabbage is always cheap.

Does your community have one of those "plant an extra row" programs? Here the drop is in front of the local United Way office. There's a bunch of bins outside where people leave extra produce from their garden, and anyone is free to take what they need. If your community has something like that, it would be a good way for you guys to get more fresh produce in your diets.

For the most part though, it sounds like you aren't going to be able to go much cheaper than you already are. If you haven't, please apply for assistance. It's there for exactly these situations.

• Like 6

When money is tight, I am a big fan of a crock pot of brown rice, pinto or kidney beans, a custom of shredded chicken for flavoring, a can of chicken broth or water and bullion, garlic and onion to taste. For variation, I had taco flavoring.

You can make brown rice in the crock pot??

I think you are doing amazing with that budget!  wowee.  

I know that on Moneysavingmom.com she posts low grocery budgets and what they are going to eat.

I think she has 2 sisters that post this stuff.  They both do it every week

She did one today.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2017/04/gretchens-35-grocery-shopping-trip-and-menu-plan-2.html?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=moneysavingmom

• Like 1

I'm impressed!

Maybe add in:

loaded baked potato with ham, brocolli, cheese or pulled pork BBQ, cheese, green onions, sour cream

Salad with homemade croutons, shredded carrots, cheese, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, boiled egg, and whatever leftover diced meat you have on hand

Tacos with lots of black beans added to the taco meat or pulled pork

Ground turkey instead of ground beef in meatloaf and chili at times

If you are still on a tight budget come November, buy 2-3 extra Turkeys when they are dirt cheap and freeze the extra to use during the year.

• Like 1

Stir-fry dishes are wonderful and very inexpensive. It's a great way to make a little meat go a long way. Use whatever meat and veg is on sale, and marinade in soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.  Fresh minced ginger, adds some really nice zing to the flavour.

Stir-fry dishes are wonderful and very inexpensive. It's a great way to make a little meat go a long way. Use whatever meat and veg is on sale, and marinade in soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.  Fresh minced ginger, adds some really nice zing to the flavour.

Fried rice is good, too. Some leftover rice and meat, a few chopped up vegetables, and some soy sauce and you're in business.

• Like 1

My husband is out of work and so I have been keeping our monthly food budget to $350 a month including everything- diapers, paper products, etc. We have five kids ages 8 and down and they all eat a lot. Seriously, my one and a half year old eats more than I do. :) We live in a mid COL area I think so that has been so helpful. So far, things have been going really well and I have been making everything from scratch. But, I would like a few more ideas for meals and thought perhaps the Hive might have some really good ideas. So, could you share with me please? Here is what I have been doing so far

Breakfasts: Oatmeal, grits, cornmeal mush, muffins, coffee cake, eggs, pancakes, etc.

Lunch: Leftovers, cornbread and milk, stir fry, chow mein, etc.

Dinner: Soups, stews, chili, casseroles, lots of rice dishes, lots of noodle dishes, biscuits and gravy, etc. I usually serve these with a side of inexpensive vegetables or whatever is on sale- peas, broccoli, cole slaw, green beans,etc.

Snacks: Apples and bananas (sometimes other fruit when it is on sale), homemade bread and butter/peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, celery and carrots, etc.

Drinks: We drink a lot of milk and have iced tea occasionally

I would really appreciate any ideas you might have.

My favorite inexpensive healthy meal I got from the boards here.

Lentils and brown rice tacos

1 cup of lentils

1 cup brown rice

A package of taco seasoning (I use two)

4 1/2 cups of water.....up to 5

Mix in crock pot. Cook on low 6-8 hours

Use like taco meat

It is so good. My guys (16/17 and Dh) all eat a lot of it....and we always have leftovers.

• Like 3

Subbing quinoa makes just about any rice dish higher protein and more filling. If you get the prerinsed stuff it's just as quick and easy as rice as well.

Dried beans. Soak overnight, then put in crock pot with a quartered onion. Cook on high about 2-3 hours. Add one tsp salt per quart. Cook until desired tenderness. For smaller beans, the water doesn't alway reach boiling before beans are done.

Serving ideas: with quinoa and salsa, in vegetable soups, with sautéed or roasted peppers and onions or other veggies in tortillas or quesadillas or nachos. Black bean salad w red onion, corn, bell peppers, cilantro, spices, oil and vinegar.

If you buy up any meat with bones, cover the remains with water and add some onion to make stock.  To get every calorie, don't skim the fat off the top of the finished broth.  Most of the time we just drink our homemade stock hot in a mug with a little salt -- it is so comforting (and strangely filling).

I'd do more dishes with eggs if they are cheap in your area.  Usually, our Aldi here has them for 0.75 or less a dozen (0.59 this week).  Omelettes, egg salad, deviled eggs, egg drop soup, toad in the hole, fried egg sandwiches with a couple slices of lunch meat, french toast, yesterday's leftovers thrown into quiche...

Kefir is very cheap to make if you can get your hands on some grains, and requires no special equipment or hard labor (just milk, a jar and a strainer, basically, and culturing takes place on your countertop).  You can even make kefir cheese.

Don't know if you're willing to try this, but... I've found that sometimes local butchers sell "variety meats" for cheap ($1-$2/lb).  Things like beef heart & tongue are muscle meats, so they don't smell or taste odd, and are easy enough to chop small and hide in a dish.

It sounds like you are doing an amazing job already.  Crockpots are definitely a best friend for budget cooking.  Also, the Hillbilly Housewife has this...prices are probably a bit off, but the concept is good.  She has a $45 and $70 emergency menu.

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm

Also, if you can find it at your library, the $5 dollar dinner cookbook is worth a look, as well.

http://www.5dollardinners.com/cookbook/ 

You sound like you are doing so well.

A couple of other quick things - Dahl is good and we really like it.

Also whole chickens are often cheap and you can do two meals sometimes three if it's big. Roast chicken with heaps of veg the first night. Remove extra meat and make stock with the carcass. Use the stock for minestrone soup. You can either do it with lentils or add a little Of the extra meat shredded. You can also have wraps with the leftover or chicken and corn soup is really good and filling.

The other thing which is obvious is adapt frugal stuff for you. A lot of frugal recipes are meat free but my DH is a hunter so reducing meat doesn't save heaps of money. We often have plenty of venison or kangaroo. Really use whatever is around you. We have apple orchards close so there's plenty of apples for snacking and apple crumble is a great dessert. If there's Gardeners in the area you might get tomatoes or lemons or greens when there's a glut. It really depends what's available on your area.

• Like 1

Costco has huge cans of Van Camp's pork n beans, which to me is like a main course meal.

They also have pinto beans in big sacks that are very economical--10 lbs for what you normally get a small package for at the grocery store.  I have not seen white or black beans in bulk there in a long time, but those are good to keep an eye out for.  Also, they have 10 lb sacks of basmati white rice very cheap, and it's so good.  I imagine you're buying your onions there also?  

Great job!

• Like 1

I'm impressed!

Maybe add in:

loaded baked potato with ham, brocolli, cheese or pulled pork BBQ, cheese, green onions, sour cream

Salad with homemade croutons, shredded carrots, cheese, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, boiled egg, and whatever leftover diced meat you have on hand

Tacos with lots of black beans added to the taco meat or pulled pork

Ground turkey instead of ground beef in meatloaf and chili at times

If you are still on a tight budget come November, buy 2-3 extra Turkeys when they are dirt cheap and freeze the extra to use during the year.

After looking at what's listed in the OP, I was going to suggest potatoes too.  Potatoes are super high in potassium and have about 900 mg for a medium-sized one!

We like to put chili and green onions on ours too. Broccoli and cheese was a favorite when we could do dairy.

ETA: Seasoned roasted potatoes and veggies with pork, chicken, or beef mixed in are great too.  Putting potatoes in the crock-pot overnight and dicing them up in the morning to add to eggs, tacos meat, soups, etc. is nice too. 

Also, beans freeze fabulously. I cook at least five pounds at a time and freeze the excess.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 2

That sounds a lot like our family a few years back, and it really wasn't so hard to stick with that budget.  The trick for us was legumes, and fortunately, our kids LOVED them.  So we probably ate legumes 4 days/week (no meat).  We'd make a hearty lentil soup with veggies/potatoes; black beans over rice sprinkled with cheese; homemade refried beans; etc.  All of those also made great leftovers for lunches too, and any of those could be made into burritos for lunch the next day.

Another favorite that was cheap was homemade pizza, which we usually had one day each week.  I'd make the dough in my bread machine, get pasta sauce and grated cheese, and if we could afford other toppings to put on it we would, but if we couldn't, my kids were fine with a cheese pizza.  

We'd often have some pasta dish with tomato sauce and vegetables.  Sometimes we had it with meat, sometimes not.  Dinner of omelets with cheese and spinach were popular.  And waffles and fruit for dinner were also popular.

Sometimes as we were nearing the end of a pay period and had run out of everything for breakfast, I'd make a rice pudding, which my kids actually thought of as really special. 

To this day, my kids probably have no idea how much we scrimped to make ends meet at times.  They always had enough to eat and we generally had a very healthy diet.  We rarely purchased junk food, pop, store-bought desserts, etc.  We didn't eat a lot of meat just plain, but would put it into giant pots of stew with lots of vegetables that would last for days.  They all grew up to be very good eaters!  

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 3

Sounds like you're doing awesome already. Beans make a cheap and filling source of protein, especially if you can cook from dried. A large ham can also be stretched over many meals - a bit for breakfast, sliced thin for sandwiches, or used in fried rice for dinner. If your family likes eggs then omelettes can be a great way to use up a little bit of this or that in a protein rich dinner. 

If you qualify I wouldn't hesitate to look into food assistance such as WIC, food stamps, or food bank. These programs are exactly for people in your situation who are temporarily going through a rough patch. Also many communities have summer programs that provide free lunch to kids at local libraries or schools - no questions asked. 

First I think you are doing a GREAT job feeding your family and hope work comes y'alls way soon

Like the others said pulled pork when you can get a pork butt, Boston butt or pork roast on sale.  Pop in crock pot with a can of soda or other liquid.  Cook on low 10 hours or so. Shred and sprinkle on some all purpose seasoning if you have it.  If not it is still good without.  

Spaghetti with no meat

Potatoes are usually cheap but sometimes the bags have small potatoes, not good for baked potatoes.  I take the small ones and cut them in bite size chunks, toss with a little oil and seasonings (whatever is in the cabinet) and bake on cookie sheet.  Then use those as a base for a meal (topping with whatever I have or leftovers)

Taco potatoes -- dice, toss with oil and taco seasoning and bake on cookie sheet.  Top with taco sauce, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes etc. whatever you like on tacos.

Apply for WIC. With kids under 5, you will get some checks, and if you're breastfeeding, they'll give you more too. Ours even gave vouchers for the farmer's market during the summer which was great.  Also look around for church or local food pantries which may help.   Also, apply for food stamps.  We struggled for years before I finally swallowed my pride and applied for WIC. It made such a big difference for us when my little one was a baby. WIC provided us with all of our milk, cheese, big boxes of cereal, a pound of dried beans, and a lot of fruits and veggies we wouldn't have had.  To be honest, I wouldn't have eaten any fruit if it hadn't been for WIC. I always gave it to the kids.  If they give you babyfood (which ours did, but my babies didn't like), get applesauce and pear sauce. Can always use those.  Strained carrots or sweet potatoes can be added to mac and cheese, kids will never know. 

Homemade pizza on Friday nights.  I used to do the artisan bread in 5 minutes dough and we would use that thoughout the week.  I'd even use it for pizza dough and cinnamon rolls on the weekends.

Often times you can buy a big $5 rotisserie chicken at Sam's, Costco, or BJ's that is larger (and better tasting) than you can make.  Be sure to boil the bones for chicken stock.  I would usually do that, then add a bag of frozen mixed veggies, 1 can of chopped tomatoes, noodles or rice, chicken bouillion, and a little poultry seasoning for soup.

Beans/Legumes/Yes!  Lots of good ideas.  Our family likes a cassoulet type dish using cannelini beans, onions, garlic, carrots, and tomato sauce.  You can add in a few chopped up hot dogs, sausages, etc. if you have them. 5  I add a few glugs of olive oiil too (plus salt and pepper).  Put it in a dutch oven, into the oven for 45 minutes or so.  Serve with bread.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 2

My favorite inexpensive healthy meal I got from the boards here.

Lentils and brown rice tacos

1 cup of lentils

1 cup brown rice

A package of taco seasoning (I use two)

4 1/2 cups of water.....up to 5

Mix in crock pot. Cook on low 6-8 hours

Use like taco meat

It is so good. My guys (16/17 and Dh) all eat a lot of it....and we always have leftovers.

the rice and the lentils are put in not cooked correct?

• Like 1

Beans were the only thing that came to mind that isn't already on your menu.  I have one child who loves beans, and one child who hates beans.  The bean hater will eat this recipe and not complain too much.

Barbecued Sausage and Beans

1 pound sausage, cut into coins
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 whole medium onion, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons  molasses
4 cups cooked white beans (canned or cooked from dried, if using canned, you’ll need three 15 ounce cans) salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and celery and cook for two minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for two more minutes.  Remove from heat.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing  bowl, combine well, and pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.

This could also be cooked in a slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours.

Also, for breakfast sometimes I will make something that my mom always called Creamy Rice.  It is plain old white rice cooked up on the stove top in the normal manner. After it's cooked, add a knob of butter and milk to cover the rice, stir it, cover it and turn the heat off.  Give it a few stirs over the next fifteen minutes and the rice gets all thick and gooey- like rice pudding but without the tediousness if tempering eggs.   Serve the creamy rice sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  It's best when made with whole milk.   :)

Edited by Lady Marmalade

the rice and the lentils are put in not cooked correct?

Correct.

You can cook on high for 4 hours but I prefer the texture when cooked longer and slower.

We always have leftovers. I put some in a bowl, top,with cheese and green onions....add some hot sauce or salsa and tortilla chips. Yum.

Correct.

You can cook on high for 4 hours but I prefer the texture when cooked longer and slower.

We always have leftovers. I put some in a bowl, top,with cheese and green onions....add some hot sauce or salsa and tortilla chips. Yum.

Thank you.  It sounds yummy and so easy.  My kind of cooking.

I am going to try it next week. 

• Like 1

Thank you so very much for all of the ideas. I already had beans and potatoes on our menu and must have forgotten to put those in my post. But, I was really inspired by all the different ways you all use beans so thank you. All of your ideas are great and I am so very grateful. Thank you so much.

• Like 1