Menu

Best Chocolate Cake Recipe?

umsami

I have one where you take a box of devil's food cake mix, a box of pudding mix, a couple of eggs, some sour cream, and a cup of chocolate chips.  You bake it in a round funnel pan and ice it with boiled icing.

Totally awesome and looks like a giant marshmallow.

• Like 1

The one on the back of the Hershey's can. Seriously. People rave everywhere I take it and now it is generally specifically requested when I am invited somewhere.

Not sure it is the best one ever but it is easy and inexpensive. It is my "go to" dessert when I have short notice on company or a potluck.

• Like 14

My ds discovered this in a magazine when he was nine. It was the first time he ever baked anything, and he did it perfectly (in a 9x13 pan, though). We have never even tried any other chocolate cake recipe after this one, because it is so good!

https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake.html

ETA: I see I'm not the only one!

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 4

If you're not anti-mix, this is my no-fail chocolate cake recipe:

1 box devil's food cake mix

4 eggs

1 cup oil

1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

1/2 cup milk + a spoonful of espresso powder if you have it

2 cups (1 package usually mini chocolate chips or larger if you want substantial chunks)

1 small box instant chocolate pudding

1 tsp vanilla

• Like 2

The one on the back of the Hershey's can. Seriously. People rave everywhere I take it and now it is generally specifically requested when I am invited somewhere.

Not sure it is the best one ever but it is easy and inexpensive. It is my "go to" dessert when I have short notice on company or a potluck.

Yes!  This is the only one I make.  I love that is quick, uses one bowl, and doesn't need a mixer.  I always make the frosting recipe too.

• Like 3

Also in the news, it's Passover; so, I'm going flourless this week (from NYT about ~25 years ago):

12 oz bittersweet chocolate

2 sticks butter

6 eggs

1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter 9" cake pan generously, up the sides; and line with parchment paper.  Put a second, larger pan or broiling pan (large enough to comfortably accommodate your 9" pan) into oven and fill ~1 inch with water.

In microwave or double boiler, melt butter and chocolate; whisk until smooth.

In separate bowl, whisk eggs and sugar.  Add chocolate mixture; whisk quickly and thoroughly.  Transfer to 9" pan.

Put 9" cake pan inside larger pan, such that the water comes up at least 1/2 up the sides of the cake pan (creating a double "baker").  Bake 1 hour 15 minutes until cake bounces back to touch (it rises, then falls as it cools).  Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar right before serving; or fresh raspberries and cream are also nice.

Can be made in advance and frozen.  

I am not a baker and ordinarily LOATHE fussy recipes, but this is so so so good.

• Like 5

If you're not anti-mix, this is my no-fail chocolate cake recipe:

1 box devil's food cake mix

4 eggs

1 cup oil

1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

1/2 cup milk + a spoonful of espresso powder if you have it

2 cups (1 package usually mini chocolate chips or larger if you want substantial chunks)

1 small box instant chocolate pudding

1 tsp vanilla

This looks almost like the one I posted above, but with coffee added. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for something a little more labor intensive and fabulous, I love both of the following. The first is a tuxedo cake with a whipped cream frosting and chocolate ganache on top of that. It makes a lot; I've made it several times for family birthday cakes and I can make a smaller version with half the recipe using 2 9" round pans (recipe calls for 3 pans). The second recipe is a bundt cake from The Grand Central Bakery Book. I've only made it once but will make it again--I will omit the chocolate chips when I make it again as I don't really like them in cake. This one also made more than expected. I learned that my bundt pan is not 12 cups as the recipe calls for (who knew there were different sizes of bundt pans??). It overflowed my pan, but that's okay because I just sliced off the overflow and we gobbled it up!

http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/01/07/tuxedo-cake/

http://www.sweettalksweets.com/2010/04/i-get-by-with-little-help-from.html

• Like 1

Death By Chocolate from the Silver Palate cookbook.

Best chocolate dessert?

Toss up between French Silk Pie from the Country Innkeeper's Cookbook, or my grandmother's light chocolate pudding recipe that involves gelatin, or the very simple but unbelievably good chocolate mayonnaise recipe (like mousse) from Sunset's French cookbook.

• Like 1

I used to have a book called the Cake Mix Doctor and she had the best chocolate buttercream recipe.

I make wacky cake all the time because it's so easy...and I almost always have the ingredients.

Thanks for the new ideas! 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/the_best_chocol/

I haven't tried this yet, but this is on my next cake to bake when I get the urge.

This is what I always make for potlucks and everyone always raves about it and asks for the recipe.  I'm not a cake person, but I LOVE this cake.   Mmmmm....now I want to make it.  LOL!

Edited by mohsmom23

I used to have a book called the Cake Mix Doctor and she had the best chocolate buttercream recipe.

I make wacky cake all the time because it's so easy...and I almost always have the ingredients.

Thanks for the new ideas!

I have them if you want me to look for the recipe.

This is our favorite too. Especially good with dark cocoa. I always do two layers with frosting in the middle. I make a double batch of the frosting and use almost all of it - then I eat the rest with a spoon because it is amazing.

• Like 2

This is our favorite too. Especially good with dark cocoa. I always do two layers with frosting in the middle. I make a double batch of the frosting and use almost all of it - then I eat the rest with a spoon because it is amazing.

yes! I pick up the dark cocoa when I am in a store that carries it but usually I just make it with Aldi brand cocoa. Still delicious!

Double frosting would be good too. I should have mentioned I don't even make it in layers. This is a throw everything in the cake pan, frost while warm, and go in an hour kind of project for me :)

• Like 1

She's right. This is THE recipe you want. It's everything chocolate cake should be. It's just perfect.

• Like 5

yes! I pick up the dark cocoa when I am in a store that carries it but usually I just make it with Aldi brand cocoa. Still delicious!

Double frosting would be good too. I should have mentioned I don't even make it in layers. This is a throw everything in the cake pan, frost while warm, and go in an hour kind of project for me :)

I've used the Aldi cocoa before too. It's still fabulous. It's called Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate, Chocolate Cake for a reason.

• Like 5

I second (3rd? 7th?) this recipe. I always overpour the vanilla and add a small spoonful of espresso powder but, besides that, it's perfect!

Not that you asked, but - the Hershey's 'one bowl' brownie recipe is also the best there is...  :drool5:

• Like 2

She's right. This is THE recipe you want. It's everything chocolate cake should be. It's just perfect.

Another prop for Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake (and frosting). It is totally amazing and utterly perfect.

I do have another very good recipe that is my MIL's No-Fail Chocolate cake. It has a cup of coffee in it and it does also turn out perfect every time. I can post the recipe if desired but seriously, the Hershey one will get you through any chocolate cake needs with flying colors.

• Like 2

When I was nine or so, I had a Girl Scout cookbook that showed me how to make a bunny cake out of two round cakes.  It's super easy.  You cut curves into one of the rounds which makes two ears and a bow tie... then frost with either whipped cream or white frosting and coconut.  Decorate with jelly beans for eyes and licorice strips to make whiskers.

Just sayin'.... :)

• Like 1

Theres a lot of really good chocolate cake recipes out there, Hershey's is pretty close to the one I make. BUT.

You didn't ask but this is my absolute favorite chocolate frosting, it's like poor man's whipped ganache, rich, not too sweet: http://ourbestbites.com/2010/05/chocolate-frosting/

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I make this one with good Dutch-processed cocoa and two teaspoons of espresso powder.  

Sometimes I put raspberry or apricot jelly between the layers (along with frosting of course!).

• Like 2

Is the Hershey's cake dense (-ish), or light/fluffy?

I've found that adding espresso powder makes it lighter. Without it,  mine comes out pretty dense.  It also depends on your oven temp/cooking time.

Well, it looks like I am making a chocolate cake this weekend. :)

• Like 1

I learned something recently about adding coffee to chocolate cake recipes. 

For a long time, my son said he didn't like it when we added coffee/espresso powder to cakes.   We thought he was just being picky, as all the recipes say that you can't taste the coffee.  Then, another friend mentioned that she hated it when people added coffee to chocolate baked goods. 

Then I read something that gave me a 'duh' moment:  for people who like coffee, the flavor is not particularly noticeable, but the taste of the cake is better.  For people who don't like coffee, though, the taste may be discernible, and not in a good way.  (I can't find it now; it may have been a comment on a recipe.)

Of course YMMV and all that, but I have stopped adding coffee all the time.  One of my kids is very happy about that.  I guess when I don't want him to eat the cake, I'll add the coffee.  I imagine there are plenty of people who don't like coffee but like it added to chocolate recipes, but it's not as universal as I'd thought.  

• Like 2

For a long time, my son said he didn't like it when we added coffee/espresso powder to cakes.   We thought he was just being picky, as all the recipes say that you can't taste the coffee.  Then, another friend mentioned that she hated it when people added coffee to chocolate baked goods. 

Then I read something that gave me a 'duh' moment:  for people who like coffee, the flavor is not particularly noticeable, but the taste of the cake is better.  For people who don't like coffee, though, the taste may be discernible, and not in a good way.  (I can't find it now; it may have been a comment on a recipe.)

Of course YMMV and all that, but I have stopped adding coffee all the time.  One of my kids is very happy about that.  I guess when I don't want him to eat the cake, I'll add the coffee.  I imagine there are plenty of people who don't like coffee but like it added to chocolate recipes, but it's not as universal as I'd thought.  

I *loathe* coffee, and everything coffee flavored. I only put a single teaspoonful of espresso powder in the entire recipe - I can't taste it, but it does add a bit of depth to the chocolate flavor.

:iagree: This is the one I've been making since I was a kid and is still my favorite, must like chocolate cake that actually tastes like chocolate though.  I top with powdered sugar and grated dark chocolate but the icing recipe is amazing too!

For a long time, my son said he didn't like it when we added coffee/espresso powder to cakes. We thought he was just being picky, as all the recipes say that you can't taste the coffee. Then, another friend mentioned that she hated it when people added coffee to chocolate baked goods.

Then I read something that gave me a 'duh' moment: for people who like coffee, the flavor is not particularly noticeable, but the taste of the cake is better. For people who don't like coffee, though, the taste may be discernible, and not in a good way. (I can't find it now; it may have been a comment on a recipe.)

Of course YMMV and all that, but I have stopped adding coffee all the time. One of my kids is very happy about that. I guess when I don't want him to eat the cake, I'll add the coffee. I imagine there are plenty of people who don't like coffee but like it added to chocolate recipes, but it's not as universal as I'd thought.

I don't just dislike coffee, I super-taste the bitterness in it. When people say "you can't taste it" I always always do. There's something coffee-specific that normal people can't taste that is just nasty to me. I think whatever the ingredient is they must make those science class bitter strips from it, because those are horrible and the taste sticks to your tongue for AGES.

• Like 2