Menu

do you use makeup everyday?

HollyDay

I was responding to the OP's original post where she suggested one should try to look their "best".

I was hoping to infer that "best" is subjective.  One could go on and on about what is "best".

I generally feel fake is not best, but if it makes a person feel better about themselves what do I care?

Personally, it would take more than make-up to make me less tired looking.  Hope I did not offend anyone.

I'm not offended. :) It just so happens that make up does make me look my best.

• Like 4

Not any more. I used to wear makeup every day when I went to work outside of the home. When I began working from home, I quit putting on makeup every day. Heck, there are many days now when I dont even put on real clothes. Wearing fleece PJs and thick socks on a cold day is one of the best things about my job.

• Like 1

Yes!

But it's natural and I consider it a "no makeup look."

Concealer under the eyes

A bit of powder 

A bit of mascara

Neutral lip gloss

Sometimes in winter I'll add a tiny bit of blush 

I don't apply makeup until I'm ready to leave the house, or until guests are due to arrive. If I'm home all day I omit the mascara to make it easier to wash my face in the evening.

• Like 1

I have a new love of fashion this year and all new clothes to play with. I've always liked skirts and having put-together outfits. My mom asked me at Christmas if I wear skirts even on days when I don't leave the house and I admitted that I did. I wear pants, too (and jeans), but I really love skirts and dresses. What app do you use for wardrobe inventory?

I love my skirts and dresses, too.  Even in -20C weather!   I just wear lined tights and high boots. I use the Your Closet app for my clothes.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 2

I adore makeup, shoes, and all things fashion.  It is fun to try out new and different looks.  My current make-up goal is searching out long-wearing products that truly last all day.  

Using makeup doesn't mean that one can't go camping.  I am an excellent archer, can hook a fish with the best, and have hiked all over, regardless of how I look. Wearing makeup is a style choice, not a personality trait.

SaveSave

Yes, sometimes some people get their Judgy McJudgy panties in a twist when other people say they like make-up, as if it's some kind of competition or something.  Sorry, but my life is not your competition.  Not at all.  I don't have an opinion on whether or not other people wear make-up or dress up a bit every day or never.  I do think it's rather funny that some people seem to think that if you DO wear make-up and dress up a bit every day, then obviously you don't do any actual work or outdoor activity or things like that.  I slop hogs and cattle and shovel shit wearing make-up every. single. day.  And, my barn clothes are cute as heck. I even have a pink and black coverall.  LOL!

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 15

I think I would like to look a little better, but I hate the prerequisites like shopping for clothes and makeup. I hate make up so much. It makes me feel like I'm wearing a mask and I want to hide in the bathroom in a ball of shame. Now I'm a big girl, my mother can't make me wear it any more so I don't.

I'd be happy if I could spend my life in a black t-shirt and a crushed velvet skirt though. I don't think I'm ever going to manage that put together, mature look that I somehow think I ought. I was born slightly scruffy and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I always look slightly scruffy.

I think I would like to look a little better, but I hate the prerequisites like shopping for clothes and makeup. I hate make up so much. It makes me feel like I'm wearing a mask and I want to hide in the bathroom in a ball of shame. Now I'm a big girl, my mother can't make me wear it any more so I don't.

I'd be happy if I could spend my life in a black t-shirt and a crushed velvet skirt though. I don't think I'm ever going to manage that put together, mature look that I somehow think I ought. I was born slightly scruffy and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I always look slightly scruffy.

In sorry you feel that way about make-up. I get it, though, because I feel the same way. It just feels wrong. For me, I think people can see it and they think badly of me for bothering. I feel that way in dresses or skirts or leggings, too. It just feels wrong and I feel like I look ridiculous.

I have no idea where it stems from though.

I don't.  I only wear makeup if I'm going out somewhere special or have an appointment I want to look my best.  If it is a "normal" day, "regular" errands (think grocery store, piano) and homeschool, I just use a moisturizer. 

Even when I wear makeup, often it is just lipstick, eyebrow pencil, maybe mascara.  Foundation and blush is reserved for "special" things.  I never wear eyeshadow. 

After looking at some holiday pictures, I'm beginning to rethink that idea.  Some concealer everyday would go a long way to make me look less tired. Some foundation every day would even things out a bit.  Maybe wearing makeup just for "special" things is not the best idea.  Isn't everyday a special day of some sort?  Shouldn't one try to look their best for those she cares about? 

What says the Hive??

Bold print above tells you why I wear it most days.  I don't like looking tired all the time and the gaping holes under my eyes are depressing.  I have discovered that there is probably a medical reason my eyes look so bad.  That is beside the point.  If I am sick or feeling down and know I will be around the house I don't wear it.  If I leave the house I do always.  I have differing amounts and techniques depending on where I am going.  Mascara, I have found, aids in the illusion of looking less tired.  Basic makeup for me is concealer, a little blush, and most days mascara.  I will play with eyeliner and shadow too for some outings.  Almost never use lipstick.  I bite it off and my lips are too prone to chap.

Yes, sometimes some people get their Judgy McJudgy panties in a twist when other people say they like make-up, as if it's some kind of competition or something.  Sorry, but my life is not your competition.  Not at all.  I don't have an opinion on whether or not other people wear make-up or dress up a bit every day or never.  I do think it's rather funny that some people seem to think that if you DO wear make-up and dress up a bit every day, then obviously you don't do any actual work or outdoor activity or things like that.  I slop hogs and cattle and shovel shit wearing make-up every. single. day.  And, my barn clothes are cute as heck. I even have a pink and black coverall.  LOL!

This needs more than a 'like'.  :wub:

• Like 3

I knew someone who evidently wore make-up every day. When she opened the door one time without any make-up, we almost did not recognize her.

I don't want this to happen to me. People have seen me age naturally without make-up. Even though it may not be pretty, when I open the door at any hour, nobody will be surprised or think they have the wrong house. :lol:

• Like 4

I knew someone who evidently wore make-up every day. When she opened the door one time without any make-up, we almost did not recognize her.

I don't want this to happen to me. People have seen me age naturally without make-up. Even though it may not be pretty, when I open the door at any hour, nobody will be surprised or think they have the wrong house. :lol:

This will happen to me one day.  Definitely.

• Like 1

I agree that it is best when people on either side of the make up spectrum don't use subjective adjectives.  Do what's best for you!  Do what fits your time schedule and your budget and your lifestyle and your health and your marriage and . . . I could go on. . .   

I would be very hurt if someone were to judge my face and tell me that if only I wore make-up that I would look better because . . . well, they don't know all that information because I don't broadcast it.  (Unlike here where I do talk about some of those things under the guise of anonymity.)  And honestly, even if I didn't have health issues, it's really my choice and doesn't really matter in the long run. 

:iagree:   I've heard the bolded more than once.  Hubby and I laugh at it and we both definitely think less of the person saying it afterward.

Neither of us care what others choose to do in their lives (wear it if you like it - who cares???), but we always disdain the "you have to be like me or you're not doing things right" judgment some folks promote whether it's with make up, SAHM wars, fashion, food, or whatever.

Two of my boys (and one girlfriend) were just home for Christmas.  We had our usual blast playing games and listening to "old" music.  One of our collective favorites is Neil Diamond's "Forever in Blue Jeans," (even if money isn't tight).

Humans come with so many different variations in things they like (or don't).  There really doesn't have to be one answer for "how to live" to get things correct.  One of the best things about modern life in a first world country is that one can live as they want to when choosing things for themselves.  I don't really care if the person camping next to me or sitting next to me at a fancy restaurant has make up on or not.

I wear it almost daily. I love it. I love creating "looks" and adding drama to my outfits, even the non-dressy ones. I have a big red bag full of different eye shadows and blushes and lip sticks.

I don't judge women for not wearing it. I don't refuse to be seen without it. I enjoy camping. ;)

• Like 3

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that we as a society have much higher appearance expectations for women than for men?

I ignore them, but they irk me immensely. Watching them play out in the presidential race last year was obnoxious.

I've got nothing against anyone enhancing their appearance in a way that makes them happy, but the social expectation that women must be made up and have nice coordinated outfits before presenting themselves to the world bothers me profoundly.

We do expect men in general to pay some attention to facial hair but I just don't feel like there is anything close to the level of pressure to put up a good appearance for men as there is with women.

• Like 14

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that we as a society have much higher appearance expectations for women than for men?

I ignore them, but they irk me immensely. Watching them play out in the presidential race last year was obnoxious.

I've got nothing against anyone enhancing their appearance in a way that makes them happy, but the social expectation that women must be made up and have nice coordinated outfits before presenting themselves to the world bothers me profoundly.

We do expect men in general to pay some attention to facial hair but I just don't feel like there is anything close to the level of pressure to put up a good appearance for men as there is with women.

I ignore them too, but yes, when I think about it or see it, it irks me.

IRL I assume that those who care end up leaving me alone and it's a win/win for both of us.  My friendship circle has plenty who don't care.  Some choose to wear make up and others don't.  

To be fair to men, there are some other types of expectations for them too.  A SAHD gets plenty of disgusting comments regarding laziness.  Those who aren't into sports are usually labeled (often incorrectly) sexually.  Ditto that with those who care about some types of fashion or other things.  It's far easier to be a Tom-boy (like me from youth) and not be judged (as much) than it is to be a Sissy.

• Like 4

No, I don't wear makeup every day.  Once a week for church if you are lucky (usually only for the Masses that I am cantoring.  Being in somewhat of a performance role in front of a crowd makes me feel more pressure to wear it).

I have a sister who I feel is unhealthily dependent on makeup.  For many years, she would be incapable of leaving her house without a full face on (that took 45 min to apply... A lot of makeup).  Over time It has gotten better in terms of the amount of makeup she needs to put on to feel comfortable, but wearing it is still absolutely non-negotiable.  If you ask her to go without just to run some small errand or answer the door for the UPS guy or something, she will come down on you like a ton of bricks.  I have only seen her a handful of times with a completely bare face, and she apologizes for it every time.  I think her relationship with makeup has influenced my distaste for it.

Well, more and more cosmetic lines are making products for men and I bet make-up for men will be widespread within our lifetime, so maybe you'll see a day when they are expected to pay as much attention to their appearance as we do.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be caught dead outside of the house without it. They forbade it on surgery days and I almost died having to go out in public without makeup or hair. I felt naked.

I don't wear heavy make up, and never eye shadow. I don't always wear foundation, but always powder, blush, mascara, eye liner and a lip stain. Maybe it's a regional thing but I only have two friends who don't wear it. Everyone does make up and hair around here- at least out in public.

Same here. I do wear foundation but it's not a heavy one. I just feel more put together with it on. I know and see few women who don't wear make up. I've heard people say it's because they are insecure with their looks or snobby. I just don't see that or get those views.

I admire a woman who has perfect hair and makeup and coordinated outfits. I think that is a talent. It's not one that I want to spend time and effort on but I can appreciate it.

I don't think less of anyone who doesn't have those things. I really don't notice and I guess I just think of everyone else as "average ". I'm in that "average " category and am happy there. I think that most of us in the "average " category do try to brush and wash our hair, have clothing that matches the occasion (whether formal or casual). Some in the "average " category have some makeup on (though maybe not as skillfully applied) and many don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I admire a woman who has perfect hair and makeup and coordinated outfits. I think that is a talent. It's not one that I want to spend time and effort on but I can appreciate it.

I don't think less of anyone who doesn't have those things. I really don't notice and I guess I just think of everyone else as "average ". I'm in that "average " category and am happy there. I think that most of us in the "average " category do try to brush and wash our hair, have clothing that matches the occasion (whether formal or casual). Some in the "average " category have some makeup on (though maybe not as skillfully applied) and many don't.

I wear make up. Daily....... but the hair is usually not what I wish for it to be even though I try....... and am often seen in yoga pants.

• Like 1

After reading this I realized how strange it is that most days I put on makeup, but there are days when I don't every get around to brushing my hair.  I will throw it in a ponytail and then forget about it.  I have also been known to drive my Ds to work in my PJs (and without makeup!) So I guess I fall down on the getting dressed part and combing hair.

• Like 1

I grew up in a home that scoffed at things like make up, hair coloring or stylish cuts, nail polish, etc. It was as though those things were shallow and silly and for people that weren't very smart. As I grew into adulthood that was a hard attitude to shake. I liked makeup...so what kind of woman did that make me??

It seems ridiculous to me now. Makeup is fun. Hair coloring can be fun. Like anything people can go overboard.

Btw...daily makeup here but less than 5 minutes and I buy the cheap stuff. Makeup is less of a chore to me than actually blow drying my hair.

• Like 4

I wear make up. Daily....... but the hair is usually not what I wish for it to be even though I try....... and am often seen in yoga pants.

I guess what I was saying was that there are those who go for the whole package (like Audrey Hepburn or Jackie O) and then. . . there's the rest of us!  And that "rest of us" category can be pretty broad.  We notice (or at least I notice) the exceptions on either end - the particularly well put together people and the particularly unkempt people - but not really those in that broad middle. 

• Like 5

I grew up in a home that scoffed at things like make up, hair coloring or stylish cuts, nail polish, etc. It was as though those things were shallow and silly and for people that weren't very smart. As I grew into adulthood that was a hard attitude to shake. I liked makeup...so what kind of woman did that make me??

It seems ridiculous to me now. Makeup is fun. Hair coloring can be fun. Like anything people can go overboard.

Btw...daily makeup here but less than 5 minutes and I buy the cheap stuff. Makeup is less of a chore to me than actually blow drying my hair.

Yeah, I agree that neither wearing nor not wearing makeup has any character or moral implications.

I tell my girls that we live in a world where social norms matter and that there are advantages to paying attention to those norms--including fashion, hair styles, make-up, etc.

I also let them know that neither following nor flaunting the norms is morally superior. I personally prefer to ignore the makeup for women norm most of the time, I have no personal interest in it. One of my daughters shows an inclination towards make up, and that is fine too.

• Like 4

Yes. It does.

Women are supposed to have flat tummies, even when they've grown a few people in there?

Yes. It does.

Women are supposed to have flat tummies, even when they've grown a few people in there?

Indeed. 

And when did women decide that they need to color their hair, have fake nails, fake boobs, fake butts, wear spandex, wear high heels, wear colored contacts or hair extensions, have lipo, tummy tucks, botox, etc., etc., etc., in order to look their best?

• Like 2

Indeed. 

And when did women decide that they need to color their hair, have fake nails, fake boobs, fake butts, wear spandex, wear high heels, wear colored contacts or hair extensions, have lipo, tummy tucks, botox, etc., etc., etc., in order to look their best?

Lol....... well, Cleopatra dyed her hair and wore makeup............ but it is sad that so much is expected to be considered looking our best.

Lol....... well, Cleopatra dyed her hair and wore makeup............ but it is sad that so much is expected to be considered looking our best.

I'd draw the line at surgery.

And Botox is scary!

As to the rest, well, some women like dying their hair. If someone wanted me to make a habit of dying mine, I'd consider it for a $50,000 donation to my super account. :p Cleopatra had specific career goals I don't have.

Yes, sometimes some people get their Judgy McJudgy panties in a twist when other people say they like make-up, as if it's some kind of competition or something. Sorry, but my life is not your competition. Not at all. I don't have an opinion on whether or not other people wear make-up or dress up a bit every day or never. I do think it's rather funny that some people seem to think that if you DO wear make-up and dress up a bit every day, then obviously you don't do any actual work or outdoor activity or things like that. I slop hogs and cattle and shovel shit wearing make-up every. single. day. And, my barn clothes are cute as heck. I even have a pink and black coverall. LOL!

Is anyone else picturing Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island?

I also think people forget that some people use make up to change their look, not necessarily to "upgrade" it. I'm completely comfortable going bare-faced in public regularly, but sometimes I like to switch up my look with make-up. I don't wear the same clothes or hairstyle EVERY day. A different look for my face is the same thing.

• Like 1

Eh.... 50/50??  

My picture on here is me, and obviously I have makeup on lol.  It's likely that pretty much everyone I know has seen me both with and without makeup.  I think makeup is fun - I watch YT tutorials, too, but I'm sure they're in a different category than most - they're Kpop makeup tutorials.  :lol:  Guy ones, too.  I like them, and I actually take a selfie of myself every time I try a new one and keep it (if I like it) so that I'll have a go-to list of what sort of makeup 'look' I'll want.  :D

I also dye my hair all the time which I absolutely LOVE and I get my nails done.

:)  Meh.  To each their own lol. 

I used to wear a tiny bit of makeup every day. Just eye stuff. Then I stopped for a while.

Now I wear it from time to time. It's not the putting on and wearing that bothers me. It's the taking off. For some reason, I hate that extra step at night before going to bed.

Part of me feels pulled toward learning all sorts of makeup tricks and changing up my look all the time and another part of me is pulled to never wearing it again. In the meanwhile, I wear simple liner, shadow, and mascara. Never did figure out the foundation and blush stuff. It seems so hard to know what colors to buy.

• Like 1

I tell my girls that we live in a world where social norms matter and that there are advantages to paying attention to those norms--including fashion, hair styles, make-up, etc.

God knew that I was incapable of raising girls.  There would be way too many gaps in their education.   :lol:

• Like 1

God knew that I was incapable of raising girls. There would be way too many gaps in their education. :lol:

If they had to depend on me my girls would be hopelessly lost. I'm utterly clueless when it comes to standard feminine stuff.

YouTube to the rescue :)

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

My childhood homelife did not give me these attitudes, but somehow I acquired them, not about make up, but about having nails done.  I do not ever remember a single woman in my childhood life (or even an acquaintance) EVER having nails done, or even talking about having their nails done.  As an adult, after moving to another state and a much more cosmopolitan area, I found it shocking that any woman would actually be in the habit of having nails done.  It's a hard attitude for me to shake. I often wonder if it is a regional thing, or if regular manicures are just something that has become more mainstream as time passed.  

I did enjoy having a pedicure once at a birthday party.  That I would do again. It lasted a long time and was not difficult for me to take off myself eventually.  The one time I ever had my nails done in a salon with gel polish was great until I wanted to take off the polish.  Then I began to realize what a racket the nail industry is.  You have to go back in and have it taken off (I did it myself and it only took me several hours over the course of 3 days) and then the manicurist offers to do them again--and thus begins a vicious cycle.  

I have no problem with dd doing her own nails at home, however I draw the line at regular appointments at salons.  It is too expensive and she has other expenses that are more important.  I have a friend who regularly spends more than I spend in the grocery store for a week of food for our family on ONE visit to the nail salon and she goes back every two weeks.  It's fine for her. She has the money, no kids. I'm not in that position and if I had that much discretionary income I'd rather spend it on books. Lol

• Like 1

The one time I ever had my nails done in a salon with gel polish was great until I wanted to take off the polish.  Then I began to realize what a racket the nail industry is.  You have to go back in and have it taken off (I did it myself and it only took me several hours over the course of 3 days) 

Oh you poor thing!  If you ever get gel polish again, just place cotton balls with a bit of regular polish remover on your nails and wrap them with aluminum foil for a few minutes.  It slides off on its own.  You don't need to scrape, pick, or go through hours of work to remove it.  I'm so sorry nobody told you that when they put it on.  I can't even imagine the damage that your poor hands must have gone through!

I very rarely wear make-up. I am blessed with good skin so foundation really doesn't change my look. I like mascara and lipstick. However I have yet to find a mascara that didn't irritate my eyes, and I lack confidence with lip color choice because I rarely wear it.

I wear makeup everyday day.

Daily: "neutralizing" powder to even skin tone and reduce shine (I get very oily if I go completely bare-faced). This is my minimum.

If I'm going somewhere normal: add foundation (Superpowder from Clinique), blush, eye shadow, Burt's Bees Chapstick

If I'm going somewhere special: add mascara, more detail on eyeshadow, Burt's Bees lip tint

No, not every day. Sometimes a couple of times a week, Sundays. 

My issues vary:

cost of makeup

still can't find my perfect foundation color 

I don't like supporting the major manufacturers but end up doing it anyway (bunny safety, anyone?)

I used to not have puffs under my eyes but the last 8 years have not been the healthiest for me and I can't afford that wonderful eye cream that would make the puffs go away

and the other issue has to do with my contacts. I've tried putting in one contact or both or none (but when I put the eye makeup on and then the contact, ugh, I get makeup on the contact sometimes).

So now one of my daughters sometimes puts my eye makeup on me when I want eyeshadow.

3 years ago at a mall I agreed to let a cosmetician put a full face on me. Later when meeting up with my 23-year-old son, he said, "Mom, no. Just no. That looks so bad. I could cut it with a knife. It's not YOU."  The color was not my color, the thickness applied totally sucked and I felt so embarrassed. He thought it made me look older!

My eyebrows and lashes are looking fairly sparse, so I do feel better about how I look when I go out when I wear makeup, but even though I really like the way I look in the mirror, that is not the direction the rest of the world sees my face; in photos I think I look ...haggard. 

Oh you poor thing!  If you ever get gel polish again, just place cotton balls with a bit of regular polish remover on your nails and wrap them with aluminum foil for a few minutes.  It slides off on its own.  You don't need to scrape, pick, or go through hours of work to remove it.  I'm so sorry nobody told you that when they put it on.  I can't even imagine the damage that your poor hands must have gone through!

I did the aluminum foil and cotton balls thing. Multiple times. It did not work well at all.

I also let them know that neither following nor flaunting the norms is morally superior. I personally prefer to ignore the makeup for women norm most of the time, I have no personal interest in it. One of my daughters shows an inclination towards make up, and that is fine too.

There is no uniform societal norm that demands makeup for women. It completely depends on the context. There are segments of society where women are not expected to wear makeup and many don't.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I wore no makeup at all for many years, to the point at which, if I did put any one for some kind of special occasion, I would have to go buy stuff first. And I felt like a clown or like I was wearing a mask.

When I went back to work a few years ago, I tried to force myself back into wearing a basic combo of concealer, foundation, lipstick and mascara. It jus made me so uncomfortable, though. I hate the way it feels to have "stuff" on my skin, like I can't breathe. So, I sort of gradually ended up wearing less and less.

Nowadays, I put on mascara and curl my eyelashes when I go to work or when I go "out" to do anything more exciting than errands. I am in my 50s and have somewhat droopy eyelids, and I do like the way that makes my eyes look brighter and more open.

Very occasionally, I also put on some lightly tinted lip balm.

That's it for me.

I generally don't pay a lot of attention to my appearance, beyond looking presentable in a fairly non-descript way. I do know that people routinely think I am.younger than I am, which I think is funny given than I certainly feel every year of my age. However, after reading the conversation here recently about anti- aging skin products, I did kind of surreptitiously look at my co-workers who are in the same age range and notice they mostly seem to have more lines and wrinkles than I do and also to wear more makeup. I have no way of knowing which came first. It's possible I'm just lucky.

I have started making an effort to include some moisturizer in my routine a few times a week, just to hedge my bets.

But I'm pretty much low maintenance about this stuff.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2

Most (but not all by any means) days I wear mascara. Just mascara, because my eyelashes are blond and invisible without mascara. I feel I look more "normal" with mascara. 

I may or may not throw some lip gloss on during the day...I keep it in my purse so I can add it when I get where I'm going if I feel the urge or my lips are dry. 

Other than that, everything else is for more "special days". Then I'll add some eye shadow, maybe a powder foundation like bare minerals, maybe some bronzer. 

I did the aluminum foil and cotton balls thing. Multiple times. It did not work well at all.

Same here. Gel is horrible to get off my nails. 

However, I recently had the powder dip stuff done on my nails. Lasts longer than gel, harder than gel so my nails don't break even when I use them to scrape dried stuff off the floor, and soaked off SUPER EASY!!!!!  I was amazed at how well it came off. If you ever try fancy nails again, give it a try. 

If I leave the house, I wear mascara (because my eyelashes are almost colorless and disappear without mascara) and eyebrow stuff (because ditto). Always. And I wash my hair every day, too. I rarely wear foundation and blush and stuff, though. And I get dressed, such that all I have to do is put on shoes and I'm good to go.

It would not occur to me to wear moisturizer instead of makeup. o_0

I think we have similar coloring, and wanted to share that I recently discovered the wonders of brow tinting. There is a place called Seva that has a little salon in my Walmart of all places, and they do it. Lasts at least several weeks, and makes my brows actually visible. I got a TON of compliments the first time I did it, and now I'm trying to do it on a regular basis. If you are already getting brows waxed or threaded it's only $10, and I swear it lasted at least a month on me. I'm sure there is also an at home version that is cheaper. Life changing!

They also do eyelash extensions which I LOVED beyond anything, but you have to stay avoid water and heat for 48 hours after getting them, and well..I didn't. I was baking cookies and sticking my head in the oven over and over then had to shower for church, and they only lasted about a week, if that. So not worth it. I may try again though, because they looked amazing.