Menu

What are your holiday meal plans?

SparklyUnicorn

you interested in past holiday meal plans as well if you just want inspiration?

last christmas for christmas eve we had sausage stuffed mushrooms, roasted brussels sprouts/root vegetables with olive oil/butter, and eggnog. lots of eggnog. 

christmas day we had a rib roast, bacon and sage yorkshire pudding, spinach with cheese sauce, mincemeat pie.

• Like 1

On Christmas, I take the day off from cooking.  We buy a bunch of frozen appetizers and a few fancy desserts and eat those all day.  It's great!

And on the afternoon of Christmas eve, we go out for either Mexican or Japanese food.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 4

you interested in past holiday meal plans as well if you just want inspiration?

last christmas for christmas eve we had sausage stuffed mushrooms, roasted brussels sprouts/root vegetables with olive oil/butter, and eggnog. lots of eggnog. 

christmas day we had a rib roast, bacon and sage yorkshire pudding, spinach with cheese sauce, mincemeat pie.

Yes sure...

We had rib roast last year.  Mmmm...that's always good.

I am usually with family for christmas eve, but not this year. So, we're doing take out for that night. Dh and the kids don't know it yet, but we are, lol.

On Christmas day we have a large potluck for anyone who happens to be in town, some celebrate Christmas and some don't. We provide an entree, munchies, drinks (for kids and adults) and I usually make a big cake. Anyone else is welcome to bring anything else they like. I usually try to keep it as easy as possible, like I might make a lasagna for the entree.

• Like 2

For Christmas eve the kids and DH suggested a pie theme.  So far we are having quiche, peanut butter cream pie, and I am still working on some other ideas.

I am not sure for Christmas.  We are going to my parents house but mom is talking about just doing snacks and desserts since we are doing it in the evening.  I am thinking cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs, and sausage for breakfast.  But I need to come up with a somewhat filling lunch that is easy to do after church service.

• Like 2

For Christmas eve, we get together with my family.  This year we are ordering pizza.  In past year, we have done everything from pork loin to steaks and traditional ham with all of the trimmings.  We chose to simplify this year. 

For Christmas day, I am making a ham for sandwiches and then we are supplementing with appetizer items.  My MIL is bringing deviled eggs and there will probably be meatballs.   We will do that in the afternoon and then, I think we will steal redsquirrel's idea from above and invite those we know that would like to share Christmas with someone over for an open house type thing on the evening of Christmas.   

• Like 2

On Christmas morning, we always have cinnamon rolls. I plan to make them ahead of time this year and freeze them. For lunch, we typically have seafood newburg, one of my favorites! I plan to make the rice in the Instant Pot, easy peasy. I might attempt to make the newburg in my other Instant Pot too, the advantage is the keep warm feature when I'm done. We also have Christmas cookies that I make on Christmas Eve. If I can find the time between now and then, I make start making the dough and freezing it so I can just bake on Christmas Eve.

In the evening, we typically go to dh's parents where they serve shrimp. Haven't heard if that is the plan this year or not.

• Like 1

Not sure if we are doing an early Christmas this year so dd's friends can come or not. But we're having Ham {in previous years we've done turkey or steaks}, mashed potatoes, baked carrots, and maybe some type of dessert that works with paleo {I'm thinking Paleo pumpkin pie}. I don't do anything special for Christmas eve :)

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure DDs wants me to do 7fishes of Christmas (won't quite be 7 but close) but not everyone likes fishbso maybe Philly cheese steaks or sausage and peppers for the non fish eaters along with appetizers (stuffed jalapenos, stuffed potatoe skins, mozzarella sticks,etc.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 1

For Christmas Eve we usually do raviolis - baked and boiled, garlic bread, cranberry sauce, and Christmas cookies.  

Christmas morning - still trying to find the perfect breakfast.  I made a sausage/egg casserole last year that was really good.  This year, one of my sons requested bagel sandwiches with eggs, sausage, cheese.  We used to always have cinnamon rolls.

Christmas Day we spend with the in-laws.  They usually serve ham, roast, potatoes, rolls.  Lots of cookies and candy.  

• Like 1

I have family members that prevent me from doing the "traditional" stuff I grew up with. Kids don't like lasagna and it has too much sodium for dh anyway (that was Xmas eve dinner growing up--I used to assemble one on Xmas eve when kids were little and then just pop it in the oven on Xmas day, but not an option anymore). Prime rib and Yorkshire pudding was our traditional Xmas day dinner, but it's too much meat for our little family and there's not an obvious path to using up leftovers. And my immediate family doesn't enjoy Yorkies the way we all did growing up. We did a ham one year which everyone liked and it was easy, but now too much sodium and too much leftover. Christmas Eve we've been known to do take-out--KFC or pizza, plus a few sides. Maybe we'll do that again. Christmas dinner will be grilled steaks, mashed potatoes, rolls, salad, chocolate ice cream.

• Like 2

I have family members that prevent me from doing the "traditional" stuff I grew up with. Kids don't like lasagna and it has too much sodium for dh anyway (that was Xmas eve dinner growing up--I used to assemble one on Xmas eve when kids were little and then just pop it in the oven on Xmas day, but not an option anymore). Prime rib and Yorkshire pudding was our traditional Xmas day dinner, but it's too much meat for our little family and there's not an obvious path to using up leftovers. And my immediate family doesn't enjoy Yorkies the way we all did growing up. We did a ham one year which everyone liked and it was easy, but now too much sodium and too much leftover. Christmas Eve we've been known to do take-out--KFC or pizza, plus a few sides. Maybe we'll do that again. Christmas dinner will be grilled steaks, mashed potatoes, rolls, salad, chocolate ice cream.

I have problems finding meals, too.  In my family of six, there is not one meal that we all will eat.  It's ridiculous.  My kids aren't picky at all, but they do have special diets they follow and I can't please everyone.  I was thinking of making things easier this year and just eating out or bringing food in just to avoid the huge mess to clean up after dinner, but I have to figure something out that most of us will eat.  

• Like 2

We do fondue for Christmas. I make bread bowls for the cheese, steam some veg, and cut up some ham and steak for dipping. Some years we do chocolate fondue for dessert, but other years we already have a bunch of candy, chocolates and cookies that I made in the house, so we just eat on those.

• Like 2

I think we are having a tamale party on the soltice. Christmas Eve means fondue but I no longer do the traditional cheese. I make a spicy beer and oil mix for the pot. We cook shrimp and cauliflower chunks in it.

Currently I am looking at duck recipes for Christmas day. Duck breasts are less fuss than a whole bird. Still contemplating. ..

• Like 1

DD will be home, so holidays will be an extended feast - she loves to cook. Also, she is living with a vegetarian room mate and has a vegan boyfriend; she craves meat.

We will make a roasted duck, probably on Christmas. Also have a lamb roast in the freezer. And I make the traditional salad my grandmother used to make: potatoes, apples, beets, pickles and celery. Sounds weird, but is delicious.

• Like 1

We go elsewhere to see family and have a meal on both Christmas Eve and Day. Theoretically. Pretty much every year since having kids, someone is barfing by 11:00am Christmas Day. Then it works its way through the house. We'll probably end up with a choice of cereal, chicken nuggets, or ramen noodles.

• Like 1

We will be away, so whatever looks good at the grocery store. Hopefully spoon roast, garlic mashed potatoes and greens. Pie, christmas cookies, and peanut brittle available. Ham for New Years without the blackeyed peas.

Christmas Eve: clam chowder, caesar salad, and a good loaf of bread after evening church service.

Christmas Day: prime rib, mashed potatos, yorkshire pudding, salad and vegetable tbd.

Best of all - my dh cooks all of these things!!

Anne

• Like 1

Dh always makes the main course. We've had Thanksgiving redux, prime rib, pork roast, steak.... Maybe salmon this year? Though I am browsing other replies, and regentrude's lamb roast idea sounds delicious, and dh would probably like the challenge of cooking something new.

I think I'll make mashed potatoes as a side. My mom's mashed potatoes were such a hit at Thanksgiving, by the time I got everyone settled and tended the grandbaby so his momma could eat, I didn't get any. I'm still mourning, so I will make my own darn mashed potatoes! And I'll make some dinner rolls.

It's ds11's birthday on Christmas Day, so he gets to choose something for the meal. Last year was the first year he didn't choose Frosted Flakes. :D So we'll probably have some kind of pasta with sausages also. And birthday cake for dessert.

• Like 1

Clam chowder!  That sounds delicious.  Before kids, we always did oyster stew on Christmas Eve, but we've lost that with picky little kids.  This year, we have church at 4, an hour away, so we'll get home at 6:30, ready for supper.  Clam chowder waiting will be perfect.

For Christmas Day, I'm undecided.  I'm thinking of a sausage and cheese biscuit casserole for the morning, maybe with some fruit.  ;)

For Boxing Day, we barbecue.  I already have the pork butt and the turkey in the freezer.  I love this.  So yummy.  Then, the leftovers turn into Brunswick stew the next day.  

• Like 1

Christmas eve is always appetizer bar: meatballs, chicken wings, pigs in blanket, veggie tray, cheese tray, relish tray, hot cream cheese and bacon pinwheels.

Christmas day: late brunch  with eggs, muffins, bacon or sausage, fruit and mimosas.  Later in the day we have leftovers. 

• Like 1

DD will be home, so holidays will be an extended feast - she loves to cook. Also, she is living with a vegetarian room mate and has a vegan boyfriend; she craves meat.

We will make a roasted duck, probably on Christmas. Also have a lamb roast in the freezer. And I make the traditional salad my grandmother used to make: potatoes, apples, beets, pickles and celery. Sounds weird, but is delicious.

That salad sounds awesome...Is that a specific family recipe or would there be any similar recipes online that you know of?  

I would love to try making that!  Thanks!

• Like 3

Well, we're doing something we've never done before, which is eating out on Christmas Eve (that's our main celebration day).  We're traveling to another city where we won't have use of a kitchen, and yet are expecting guests!  ha....  So we have reservations at a restaurant.  Will seem a little strange.

But on Christmas Day we'll be heading to my parents where they serve their traditional Swedish meal:  Swedish sausage, Swedish meatballs, rice pudding, and pickled herring.

Our Christmas Eve evening meal is always 7-Eleven.

Seriously.

We drive from MIL's house after lunch on Christmas Eve, through a vast expanse of rural nothingness, to my parents' house that night. We drive by one measly 7-Eleven, so spicy bites and nachos it is. :p

(In all seriousness, I'm quite tired of it; I think this year I'll plan ahead and pack something tasty for the road. We're just limited by eating in a dark car...). I feel a spin-off thread coming...

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

24th  eve - pierogi (either mushroom or potato or both); beet soup; in a nod to Catholic tradition a Gardein faux fish dish; mashed potatoes, cooked sauerkraut, stuffed mushrooms, 

25th day - (different people so we can repeat dishes) everything from night before except the faux fish; add roast vegetables cauliflower/broccoli/carrots/onions/tomatoes, a hot red cabbage dish, & either a Gardein vegan roast or the Gardein faux turk'y cutlets, gravy. 

dessert is dark cherry compote + vegan cakes: cheesecake, pannetone and an almond cake + biscotti. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Christmas eve is tacos.  Easy and quick.  It's followed by cookies and hot cocoa.
Christmas morning is cinnamon rolls & orange juice/coffee.  I use a recipe where I can make them a day ahead of time and have them ready to pop in the oven the morning of.
Christmas dinner is on the grill.  Either steak or chicken, along with pesto spaghetti and a pear & fennel salad.

• Like 1

We always do all our favorite appetizers for Christmas Eve at the in-laws.  I make a spinach-artichoke dip, dh makes a jalapeno-ranch dip.  The in-laws usually have cheeses, veggie and fruit trays, pigs in a blanket, etc.  This year I hope to make tamales.

On Christmas Day we go back to the in-laws for steak and potatoes.  Dh and I did prime-rib one year over there, but too many people were turned off by the pink-ness of it (sigh), so we decided that the prime rib got saved for New Years instead of wasting good meat on people that don't like it.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom