These are a few things my DH likes:

Chocolate covered espresso beans

Wool socks (think thick boot socks)

Books

nail clippers

chapstick

hand warmers to put in his gloves when doing winter yard work

pocket knife

a bottle of beer (some of the ones he likes are expensive so I'll get one to put in his stocking)

Movie tickets

popcorn (to pop ourselves) and an assortment of fun flavorings

car air freshener

Hope you get some great ideas!

• Like 1

Do they already have one of those mini chargers? I saw some of those pretty cheap one Christmas.

I think they went as low as $4-$5 on some models at one point?? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=portable+phone+charger&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

Magnetic putty. 

Magnetic sculpture. 

Car phone charger. 

Portable phone charger. 

USB flash drive (my dh likes extras of these so he can copy stuff for someone and just let them have the flash drive).

High quality magnifying glass. 

Fidget cube, stress ball. 

Flint striker. 

Beef jerky. 

World Market is great for fun candy, drinks, beer, and so on from different countries. 

• Like 4

Really nice socks or other small clothing items (belts, mittens, etc)

Little bottles of booze or special beer etc

Nice, handmade shaving stuff

Pocket knife

Favorite portable food items (sardines, hotsauce)

Little camping items

cuff links, tie, etc

liquor flask

coffee

• Like 1

What about things that are reminiscent of their childhoods?  So Star Wars Lego set, figure or poster?  (they have small sets)  Pokemon Cards. I once got my brother a book on paper airplane making and it was what he talked about and had fun with his girls for a year.  It was more of an impulse purchase when I saw it, a joke even, but he loved it! 

• Like 1

Have you looked on ThinkGeek?

My 17yo is getting a USB drive and, if I can get my hands on one, a fidgit cube. We've done those silly foam airplanes, soap on a rope, boxes of breakfast cereal, gloves with the touchy finger pads built in, slippers, and super twist ties (they come in a pack of 2 or 4 and various sizes. They love them).

measuring tape - I don't know where they all go, but I get dh a new one every year

ice scraper for the car

flash light

cashews

socks

underwear - I think it's fun to get really wild underwear just so everyone can watch them take it out of the stocking

magazine on something they're into

I know we gave our son in law fishing lures last year since he fishes.  For dh I normally give him a CD, maybe a small tool he needs, lens cleaning paper - he has a telescope and also for the camera, maybe a filter for the camera, and always candy, nuts, and fruit.  For my son we gave a carabiner or two, shoelaces for his boots, and a kitchen gadget, we might have given him a knife.

I buy the bulk of dh's stocking stuffers at the grocery store. He usually gets macadamia nuts, a good bar of chocolate (doesn't always eat it, the cretin), something that smells good, beef jerky,and socks/gloves/nice undies, and maybe some massage oil. I used to put a big Pepperidge Farms beefstick in there. We also had a tradition for a while of putting in something slightly exotic and humorous, like canned octopus or the like.

• Like 4