Menu

Election food

AmandaVT

I'm working on my grocery list/meal plan for the week and I'm stumped as to what to make for dinner on election night! 

Anyone have any fun traditions? 

I'm leaning towards snacky stuff - maybe nachos and a veggie platter? Or baguette, cheese and fruit? Chili feels election-y too I think.

**please keep this non-political - no "Clinton soup" or "Trump fries"! **

• Like 2

Chili IS election-y. :D

Some years ago I heard about Election Day Chili. Put your favorite chili recipe in the crock pot (after browning the beef) and leave it be. It leaves you free to go stand in line to vote.That was before early voting and vote by mail for most states. I always liked the idea but it's usually too hot here for a cold weather dish like chili. Our election day forecast is high 79, low 62. Not quite chili weather.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I was thinking of a large box of doughnuts washed down with some sorrow...I mean booze of some sort.

:lol:

Haha! When I was discussing the menu with DH, I told him we need to have something comforting the day after because we will be in mourning. We both came up with skipping the food and just going straight to the alcohol.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I have a packet of Microwave Popcorn here (Butter popcorn, made in the USA), which DD and I can share, and may also buy a Chocolate bar to eat on Election Day. Tuesday is also the birthday of my SIL. My wife is out of town for a reunion this weekend and she will stay there, to celebrate her sisters birthday.  If I could get a piece of Chocolate cake (100% Chocolate), to celebrate the 2 events, that would  be a plus.  I suggest eating something that is very easy on your stomach if you are watching the election results...

Some years ago I heard about Election Day Chili. Put your favorite chili recipe in the crock pot (after browning the beef) and leave it be. It leaves you free to go stand in line to vote.That was before early voting and vote by mail for most states. I always liked the idea but it's usually too hot here for a cold weather dish like chili. Our election day forecast is high 79, low 62. Not quite chili weather.

In my little universe that would be red beans and rice!

• Like 1

The returns will be coming in during breakfast at my house, but all the special breakfasts I can think of include pork, which I can't get here, or more sugar than I want to eat first thing in the morning. Maybe I'll get lots of mangoes since I can either celebrate with them or drown my sorrows in them.

I have a packet of Microwave Popcorn here (Butter popcorn, made in the USA), which DD and I can share, and may also buy a Chocolate bar to eat on Election Day. Tuesday is also the birthday of my SIL. My wife is out of town for a reunion this weekend and she will stay there, to celebrate her sisters birthday.  If I could get a piece of Chocolate cake (100% Chocolate), to celebrate the 2 events, that would  be a plus.  I suggest eating something that is very easy on your stomach if you are watching the election results...

Good point... Pepto Bismol?

I was thinking of a large box of doughnuts washed down with some sorrow...I mean booze of some sort.

:lol:

:lol: I said something similar to DH. I'm going to be tempted to watch coverage and the polls reporting in, and I really, really don't want to. I said we should just get hammered and play board games all night, and the entire nation can wake up with an ugly hangover together. 

Seriously though, I just want to go to sleep and wake up on Wednesday when it's over. Not that I think any of the ugliness will actually go away after the election...

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

They should run elections like they run pageants. Make the "contestants" prance around in weird outfits, have a talent segment, and then have them bumble over unanswerable questions.

I'm confused. I thought that is what we already have
  • Like 2

Comfort food. I am making a huge pot of my yummy chili, gf cornbread, big bowl of mkxed fruit with toasted coconut, dark chocolate covered almonds, and chocolate ice cream. Sour cream to top the chilli.

I will forgo the ice cream and limit my cornbread to a small piece since I go low carb.

We will snack on it all day, and watch a good movie in the evening to pass the.time and avoid the drama.

• Like 2

I am thinking chili this year. Something of a send up to my mother and also super comforting. Edited by LucyStoner

Well, presidential election food is different than mid term and locals!

In 2000, it was me and my younger brother and my now husband and we had Ethiopian take out.

2004 it was my husband, our baby and the couple and their baby who have become our standing election night date. They ordered pizza and we brought a salad.

2008- now the other couple has a second baby and I am 7th months pregnant with our second baby. Ordered pizza again.

2012- both couples and all four kids. I had some curry fixings and so that it what we had. A sweet chicken and veggie curry and green curry shrimp.

2016- probably chili. I need comfort food. Same couple but our babies are now newly minted teenagers.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

They should run elections like they run pageants. Make the "contestants" prance around in weird outfits, have a talent segment, and then have them bumble over unanswerable questions.

I thought that was what all those debates were!

Except instead of unanswerable questions, the contestants, erm candidates, tend to leave answerable questions unanswered. 😂

We may have to go to one of the local parties for family member, so whatever hors d'oeurves they serve are what's up. I need to stay on plan so o may make myself a low carb cheesecake though donuts sound better.

No Cheetos???

We have a Trader Joe's White House sugar cookie kit that we'll be putting together (and possibly eating)?

I think we'll continue with the TJs theme and go to Trader Joe's and buy a bunch of their fun frozen appetizers.  Serve that....and maybe the good ol' Rotel + Velveeta dip.

I'm tempted to make a non-alcoholic election cake, too....after seeing this on NPR.  http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/10/23/498974733/a-history-of-election-cake-and-why-bakers-want-to-makeamericacakeagain

• Like 1